Mindy Kaling's Elle cover: Just right, or not enough?
January 7th, 2014

Mindy Kaling's Elle cover: Just right, or not enough?

If you want to see all of Mindy Kaling, it's going to take more than the new February issue of Elle magazine.

The comedic actress/writer/showrunner posed for a stunning portrait for Elle's Women in TV issue, but some have taken issue with the way Kaling was portrayed in comparison to the other funny ladies featured.

The magazine's Women in TV issue actually has four separate covers: one for Kaling, one for "New Girl's" Zooey Deschanel, one for "Parks and Rec" star and future Globes co-host Amy Poehler, and another for "Girls" star Allison Williams.

Kaling is the only actress whose cover photo highlights just her face, and she's also the only one to be portrayed in black-and-white. Given that Kaling, 34, has repeatedly described herself as average-sized when compared to the typical rail-thin celebrity, some observers thought that perhaps Elle had intentionally left Kaling's curves off the cover.

The magazine told E! Online that they have no regrets about the "sexy, beautiful and chic" photo they chose to use of Kaling, and the actress herself has defended the image on Twitter.

"I love my @ELLEmagazine cover. It made me feel glamorous & cool. And if anyone wants to see more of my body, go on thirteen dates with me," Kaling said. Being the saavy businesswoman that she is, she also seized the opportunity to promote Tuesday night's new episode of her Fox comedy, "The Mindy Project."

"Wishing for more skin on my @ELLEmagazine cover? Chris Messina & I are naked on a brand new #themindyproject tonight, ya pervs!" she tweeted. "(It's actually, coincidentally, true. Thank heavens my writers constantly script nudity. So: super funny, totally nude Chris/Mindy tonight!)"

This isn't the first time that Elle magazine has been criticized for its treatment of fuller-figured stars. When Melissa McCarthy was tapped to join Reese Witherspoon and Shailene Woodley as one of the publication's November cover stars, many questioned the choice to hide McCarthy's shape in an oversized coat while Witherspoon and Woodley showed plenty of skin.

The magazine again stood by its styling decision, and McCarthy later explained that she was the one who had picked the coat to begin with. "I’m the one that grabbed the coat off the rack," she told CNN. "I thought it was a fantastic coat, it was really chic."

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. kondordisqus

She is beautiful! Anyone who would pass on a chance to get all over that is cray-cray!

January 15, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jocelyn Michelle

It's obvious that they put a picture of just her face on the cover because she doesn't fit the "standards" they have for their full-body shots. It's sad and ridiculous, but that's the way the media is. If you're not tall and thin (or at least thin), you are not perfect enough for them.

January 12, 2014 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • kondordisqus

I am fairly certain Elle is allowed to set whatever standards they want, seeing as how they are the ones publishing the magazine.

It is up to you, as a consumer, to support it or not through purchasing the magazine or commenting on it in a public forum. I am sure your support for Elle and all it stands for is appreciated.

January 15, 2014 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. snow white

Just a really bad cover shot.....hard to look at.

January 9, 2014 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. Weymouth

I love the Black & White picture the best. Much more drama. Stop trying to make it into something bad. She is beautiful no matter what her size. Photographer did a great job getting the best out of her.

January 8, 2014 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kathleen Wang

The article is called Faces of TV women,not bodies.I love Mindy and the picture is gorgeous and so is she.
    Love her quirky show.Such talent among all these funny women.

January 8, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. amanda

I think its a beautiful shot. I love Mindy Kaling and think she has a great body for her bone structure and body type. I would've liked to see a full body shot because i think her natural body is inspiring and realistic. Lets promote a healthy self image- eating right and exercising! Not every woman can be 5'9 and 120 lbs. Its just not realistic.

January 8, 2014 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. New Jersey Girl

Mindy is great. Love her show.

January 8, 2014 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. FoxyBoy

Seems like the media still obsessed with sticks not with natural buty

January 7, 2014 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. joyce smith

All of the women look beautiful. People need to get a life and stop making an issue out of everything they preceive to be wrong.

January 7, 2014 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |