If 'The Big Bang Theory' had won an Emmy ...
September 27th, 2013

If 'The Big Bang Theory' had won an Emmy ...

Never say Chuck Lorre doesn't come prepared.

The co-creator of "Two and a Half Men," "The Big Bang Theory" and CBS' new comedy "Mom" arrived at the Emmy awards on Sunday knowing exactly what he would do if best comedy nominee "Big Bang Theory" grabbed the win.

First, he would remind himself to breathe.

On Thursday night, Lorre shared his latest "vanity card" - a photo of the Emmys speech that never left his pocket. (At Sunday's ceremony, it was "Modern Family" that won the outstanding comedy award.)

But had voters gone with "The Big Bang Theory," which bowed with its seventh season on Thursday, Lorre might've been moved to tears.

"Breath! Don't Cry!" his speech card begins. The notes also include the general groups of people he'd better not forget to thank, including the fans.

Had such a win been pulled off, Lorre would have acknowledged in his speech that it had happened because "BBT" has "the greatest cast, crew (and) writing staff EVER!" Plus, they had Bob Newhart, who won his first Emmy with a guest appearance on the CBS comedy in May.

What do you think - was Lorre sharing the speech he never got to say endearing and honest, or sour grapes?

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. jj

BBT has brilliant writing and a brilliant ensemble cast.

October 22, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Moved

I enjoy this show...it is very amusing

October 1, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bdog

#lame

September 30, 2013 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. rconatser1

As far as pure comedy goes, "The Big Bang Theory" is far and away the best. Nothing even comes close. I love "Modern Family," but it's almost a dramedy, and at times almost preachy. It's hard to compare the two.

September 29, 2013 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bill

I was disappointed with the season premiere. The show is running out of steam...and fast. Even the actors seem bored with their roles.I think this may well be the final season as more and more viewers migrate to other shows.

September 29, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • dzerres

Really? They had their biggest season opener EVER and, I believe, the biggest audience of any comedy season opener this year. "The Big Bang Theory easily won its time slot and the night as a whole to finish as the night's most-watched and highest-rated program. Throughout the hour, The Big Bang Theory had more viewers and a higher rating in the 18-49 demo than the other four networks combined. The Big Bang Theory is also the top performing show in the adults 18-49 demographic of the entire week." The problem with the internet is that every moron can get on here to spout unsupported nonsense.

September 29, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • twons

I very much disagree. Sometimes you're not in the mood to laugh, and other times you just don't understand that gag. If your sense of humor moves beyond the show, just move on, but don't blame the rare collection of immense talent gathered on the cast and crew of BBT because the majority of 20+ million viewers from this past week will likely disagree with you.

September 29, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric B

I agree i only laughed once during the entire show and that was at the very beginning

September 29, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. GRS62

Lorre's extreme talent is only dwarfed by his extreme ego. Ever take the time to read one of his long-winded rants at the end of the credits? I rest my case.

September 29, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dizzydoughboy

The Big Bang hits hard but it is not the best comedy on TV. It is good stuff because the landscape is easy to conquer! Give it props for being good but dont over approve it. Enjoy it for what it is. Funny stuff sometimes!mI like to watch it sometimes as a lot of folks do.

September 28, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

Well its better than Modern Family. Modern Family isn't that funny of a comedy show in my opinion. I don't get why it keeps winning Emmys every year.

September 29, 2013 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  8. Cathy

Love all Lorre's work. Helps to overcome the "Kartrashion" crap.

September 28, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. myuntidydesk

I think it is sweet that he posted his speech. He is proud of his show and wants to thank all of the people involved, and this way he got to do it. Most people don't have that opportunity.

September 28, 2013 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. BubblesB

We love The Big Bang Theory, but don't understand why only Jim Parsons get nominated every year as best actor. There are 4 very talented actors on that show and the other 3 are easily as talented as Parsons. What gives?

September 28, 2013 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  11. Blair

I must be a Lorre fan, as BBT and the original 2 1/2 men are the only sitcoms I've enjoyed since Seinfeld, and I thought Mom, with Anna Faris, was hilarious in it's series premiere thursday evening. There was a cdn sitcom called, Corner Gas, that was also very funny.

September 27, 2013 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Eric

I love this show as much as Two Half Men (with Scheen) but for completly different reasons. Didn't realize the same guy had his hands in both shows. To me these are the best shows since Seinfeld.

September 27, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Scott

I cut off the Emmy's after the first award. When Mayim Bialik did not win best supporting actress, I figured the rest of the awards would be pretty much BS too.

September 27, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • BubblesB

With few exceptions, the same people and shows get nominated every year and the same ones win. It's really boring.

September 28, 2013 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
    • twons

Don't sweat it. The Emmys are little more than a popularity contest and an excuse for a party. Look at Bob Newhart for example: he's been a regular in several of the best shows produced in the last 50 years, yet he just received his first award for a small guest role.

September 29, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jes

I've tried watching modern family many times but can't take it. Big Bang Theory a MUCH better show than modern family by a LONGSHOT!!

September 27, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • adibese

I know. I'm bored to tears with Modern Family... I just don't get its popularity.

September 27, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • yan

My feelings exacly ,I do not understand what people see so much in that show,it is not a bd show,but nothing to compare with BBT,I think that it ius the last year that they will win though.

September 27, 2013 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Eric

2 and a Half Men is the worst US sitcom of recent history. BBT started of well, but is getting really tired, and newer characters and storylines are far from memorable (Raj's girlfriend is tedious at best). Modern Family is in a different league. He shouldn't have even bothered turning up for the ceremony – it would have been an almighty travesty if he had trumped Modern Family, the best comedy since 30 Rock's golden years.

September 27, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • rebecca

big bang is the best comedy on tv right now by leeps and bounds.

September 27, 2013 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  16. mike

Lorre's vanity cards at the ends of the shows are freaking hilarious. Strongly recommend pausing the DVR and reading them. The man is a genius.

September 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Flibble

I always wait until the next day when the episode is On Demand, just so I can pause the vanity card

September 27, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dud City

I sad it was a dud 12 years ago and it still is...

September 28, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kat

I say "endearing", I know I would have cried if they had won. Nothing taken away from Modern Family, but BBT ranks right up there with Seinfeld and Friends as all time best comedy show.

September 27, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |