Eminem's ESPN interview: He was nervous!
September 9th, 2013

Eminem's ESPN interview: He was nervous!

Having an awkward interview is one way to promote a new album.

Rapper Eminem, whose "Marshall Mathers LP 2" is due to arrive November 5, is getting plenty of attention for the strange appearance he had on ESPN this weekend.

The Detroit artist showed up with Kirk Herbstreit and Brent Musburger during the Michigan-Notre Dame halftime show to introduce a snippet of the music video for his newest single, "Berzerk." (The song is going to be part of "Saturday Night Football's" open starting next Saturday.)

Even before the clip rolled Slim Shady looked lost and confused:

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuaQQAxCGUY?feature=player_embedded&w=450&h=360%5D

And when Musburger tried to get Em to chat about working with producer Rick Rubin, the star had a hard time snapping out of his trance. "Sorry, live TV freaks me out a little bit," he said. "What was the question?"

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFZeVDyhzOQ?feature=player_embedded&w=450&h=360%5D

He was similarly tongue-tied when Herbstreit asked what he was most excited about with "MMLP2's" release. The artist deadpanned, "Nothing."

"It'll be out November 5, I'll probably be most excited to just be done with it," Eminem said. "It's called 'The Marshall Mathers LP 2,' and it's kind of a revisit to the first 'Marshall Mathers LP,' and that's probably all I can say about it."

At least he's honest. Bill Bonnell, the executive producer of ESPN's "Saturday Night Football," told Sports Illustrated that the rapper was "legitimately nervous doing a live interview," and asked the two hosts how they managed to do live TV "week after week."

But, Eminem being a performer, was also messing with the viewers a bit, Bonnell said.

"If you see the music video, it's him looking into the camera and doing a throwback to the '80s," the EP said. "You clearly saw after the video was over, he became Marshall Mathers again. He was goofing around."

And, as it turns out, Em was a little starstruck, too. Toward the end of the interview, the rapper, a die-hard Detroit Lions fan, gushed about how Musburger is a legend and on his "fantasy announcer team."

According to Bonnell, "He really likes those old-school announcers like John Madden, Al Michaels, Brent Musburger, and Pat Summerall. One of the first things [Eminem's manager] Paul Rosenberg said to me was, 'Do you think it's possible for us to get Brent Musburger's autograph for Marshall?'"

So the guy was understandably a little on edge - and he said as much when his hero complimented him on his success.

"You, my friend, are the legend," Musburger told him. Eminem's response?

"I'm really uncomfortable right now."

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Nico

to M.A.P shut up and go somewhere what have you done to better society NOTHING so you're no better than him, a complete jacka** on the internet pretending to save women and gays, you're the pathetic coward.

December 18, 2013 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. dk call...hilarious

it was a fake call ...but it is true...the boys i know would never touch you....doesn't matter you don't like it anyway

September 19, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Khordz

I am a 60 yrs old grandmother. 5 yrs ago my son told me..mom I want you to listen to this rap music "without me" by Eminem. I was hooked into the rapper and his style from then on. I love this guy and the way he delivers his art from the heart! every morning my ipod plays "lose yourself" to inspire my whole day.

September 19, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Your husband master baits from my boobs...

your just a hack...you are of no female example....we will fight too make sure nobody ever follows you path of
    bimboism

September 19, 2013 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. Tyler Collier

plz keep rapping you keep me going. im in 6 grade and need you as a role model your awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

September 19, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • T.

your too brainwashed...your just as addicted as she is....your gotta stop

September 19, 2013 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. I am the Queen

see stoopid? we got you 1129am...your husband has too masterbut off of my pictures...i find that so sad.

September 19, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. Tyler Collier

YOUR THE BEST MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :0 🙂

September 19, 2013 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. Tyler Collier

Man im 11 and your my hero plus I have not seen my mom in 9 years

September 19, 2013 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. agapeti

I I am really looking forward to his new album coming out. He's been thrown a few curve balls in life but he's come through shining. His music is honest, fun, and exiting. You go Marshall Mathers, and don't worry about about any negative comments. You sir, are a survivor in life and you continue to make people happy with your music.

September 12, 2013 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rosa

Haters!!! I love u Em! Lol

September 9, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. joe Mauro

He wasnt nervous,he was wasted!!!!

September 9, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Fr33th1nk3r

He got nervous because he thought they might actually ask him some questions related to musical theory.

September 9, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. kim

Where's all the hype over Syria, now that's something to debate.......

September 9, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. @troll killer or whatever name you go by

Don't think y'll ever get this place troll free. The jerks will always be here. Nice try tho. This place sucks

September 9, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • troll buster

I am here, my friend. I am keeping a vigil on this blog to fight trollism and dating sites, and to maintain order for all normal bloggers to enjoy the freedom of not reading their garbage. Come join my minions to prevent blog abuse. Remember, you have no excuse, hit abuse. This has been a Marqueeland public announcement.

September 9, 2013 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TC

Oh Pleeze....He wasn't nervous! He was just tryin to be funny. It was great! He's a smart guy. Has an album coming out...wants people to talk about him. He's no fool.

September 9, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Snafu

Poor guy, looked like a deer caught in the head lights.
    He's probably sick and tired promoting something he wrapped up 6 months ago.

September 9, 2013 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  17. 2FLI

I must have missed the parts where he was awkward and/or high. At least he was engaging for a change, oft times he's very standoffish in interviews.

September 9, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Dick Lepre

He opens his mouth, but the words won't come out
    He's choking how, everybody's joking now
    The clock's run out, time's up, over, bloah!
    Snap back to reality, Oh there goes gravity

September 9, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Dirk

Yawn, M&M was just ok to me and nothing has changed. There are many in the entertainment industry that become legends, but not just because of their body of work. M&M isn't one of them, but if you like his "music" more power to you.

September 9, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Doug

I thought he was fine and i have never liked the guy. He seemed a bit subdued, and a little out of his element, but i didn't see anything wrong with the guy. It mad me even like him...a little.

September 9, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Demigod Vadik, CA

He was just playing around cause he was nervous...

...like a lot of these huge stars, Eminem is uncomfortable with cameras...he loves to perform, but put in a media spotlight, he freezes a little bit and his insecurities show up...

...same thing happens even to Ozzy, but Ozzy starts really goofing around to cover his insecurities...so no big deal...

September 9, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

To even make a comparison to Ozzy is crazy. This bum couldn't perform real music if it was written for him and he was told how to play it.

It really takes very limited to no musical talent to create a rap song. All you need to be able to do is follow a beat and create rhymes. My 5 year old neice can do that.

September 10, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Mike

It's just an act you morons! The entire media eating this up......

September 9, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Worm the worm

Dude has done way too many drugs..........

September 9, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Travis

seemed to be pretty obvious that he was having trouble hearing through his headset and it probably wasn't nerves

September 9, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  25. ShadeSlimmy

Sounds to me like he is struggling to retain some relevance he never really had in the first place.

September 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tevii

Seriously? Whether you like or enjoy rap music is irrelevant, you should KNOW he was relevant. He might not be now, we will see when the new album comes out, but to say he naver had relevance is just plain ignorant

September 9, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • warren22theape

Over 100 million sold. I'd say to over 100 million people he was at one time "relevant."

September 9, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack J

yea Eminem has NEVER been relevent... LMFAO what rock have you been under?

September 9, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • MostOutrageous

Irrelevant?? You serious?? Eminem is a BEAST. That dude has out sold every other rapper out there. His style is unique, to boot.
      I think I hear Perry Como calling you....

September 9, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Logic

I don't mind Eminem but sheesh these sports guys were cringe-worthy. in their attempts to interview a non-sports person.

September 9, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Marty

Refreshing to see a celebrity not sell out and proclaim undying allegiance to a New York or Los Angeles team. Every sports show I watch has some front-running celebrity talks about "his" Laker, or "his" Jets, etc., etc. There is a whole middle section of the country that has other teams they root for, but you wouldn't know from watching TV sports shows!

September 9, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  28. what a jerk

All just a big act.

September 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  29. HI

He is so hot.

September 9, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Eric

It's awesome for people to show respect to those they like. It shows heart that Em was a little starstruck. He wasn't too high on himself to acknowledge his respect to those he grew up watching, which is pretty cool.

September 9, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Pat

That interview was embarassing to watch and a waste of time. The subject as well as the "performer" was an inappropriate segment. Don't we have better things to discuss during halftime?

September 9, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Catskinner

His brain must be drug-damaged if he likes Musberger.

September 9, 2013 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  33. spiritualized67

I would not read too much into things. Eminem was simply out of his element, surrounding by a bunches of guys in suits. Had this been an interview with MTV, he probably would have been much more chill. There's a huge difference between performing in front of fans to your own music, versus being in a controlled TV environment where you've got camera people, producers and TV-types buzzing around you.

September 9, 2013 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  34. Stan

he planned that you dolts and he's from Michigan he was at a Michigan game....and M&M fist 3 albums were rap classics his new stuff not so much.....I don't expect much from this new album but to everybody who says he has no talent and doesn't understand the nature of what he's creating if nothing else give him credit for his ability to manipulate words and people because there are few like him......

September 9, 2013 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  35. BW

Marshall Mathers is a highly successful person....as an entertainer, actor, etc. I have been a fan since I first heard him in the mid-90's. He came from nothing and is ciurrently worth in excess of $120million dollars. He was a minority in the world of rap but never let obstacles stand in his way. Call it dog crap if you want, that's pretty much the way I feel about 98% of the whining, nasal sounding country music out there. To each his own, but you can't tell me this man is not a success and, by the way, he is a recovering drug addict and clean and sober.

September 9, 2013 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  36. Chanel

Yes, children that is what happens after long term drug use, your brain cells just rattle around in your head and you can't complete a thought much less a coherent sentence. Money can buy a lot things but intelligence isn't one of them

September 9, 2013 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Michele Gouveia Allen

Or this is what happens when you are clean from drugs and alcohol – genuine emotion – feelings of angst, inadequacy, and nervousness. I am sure back in the day he would have been jacked up on something to do live television and mask those feelings – now they are out there and raw. It's probably all new to him.

September 9, 2013 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  37. Adam

Freestyling for 45 minutes makes him less nervous than a 2 minute interview. I find that a bit odd.

September 9, 2013 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • JellyBean

I was thinking the exact same thing.

September 9, 2013 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Michele Gouveia Allen

Because talking about himself is not the same as freestyling. Marshall Mathers and Eminem are different. He was standing there as Marshall, and that freaked him out. He wasn't there to perform but to just talk – different elements completely.

September 9, 2013 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Fred Evil

You'd think so, but if he's freestyling, he's in HIS element, able to control to tempo of the communication and what is being communicated. On live TV, with someone asking your straight-up questions, it's considerably different. I'm not a fan, though I do like a few of his sings, but he looked genuinely starstruck or super-anxious.
      At least he didn't puke.

September 9, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • casineraindc

Well I can teach a salsa class to 100 a people or perform in front of hundreds and I'm not nervous. Put me in front of someone and have to carry on a conversation with them – especially if they are strangers – and I'll be tongue-tied and nervous and shy. So yeah... performing is way different than an interview.

September 9, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

What do you mean When he freestyles he ONLY talks about himself. "My life was sooo hard waah wahh" etc. Yeah, it must be horrible being born a white, straight male in one of the richest countries in the world, filled with opportunity. Just awful.

September 12, 2013 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  38. Sara

In other news, the sky is still blue.

Eminem has been acting that way during interviews since 1999.

September 9, 2013 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  39. Steve

Was not nerves he planned that.

September 9, 2013 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Steve/Sadie – I agree with you – keyword "Berzerk". It was absolutely over some people's heads. And the Texas chick that commented was one of the clueless.

September 9, 2013 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • wphhcyxcbaa338

Interested in interracial dating and finding true romance?==== MÄ«xedLuv.com ===is dedicated to helping singles build relationships with those who share common attraction and similar interest. If you think black and white is a beautiful combinations our site is for you. This is a serious Interracial dating services and mixed race dating site dedicated to those seeking real love. For black men dating white women,white men looking for black women. xcb

September 10, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |