June 21st, 2013

J. Lo, with tears, receives Walk of Fame star

Jennifer Lopez said she wasn't going to cry when she received her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, but she couldn't help getting emotional.

"I really am overwhelmed - this all feels kind of surreal ... but it's awesome," she told a crowd in Hollywood on Thursday regarding the honor for her music career. The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce says Lopez is 2,500th star to be recognized on the Walk of Fame.

Fans encouraged the singer-actress-dancer by chanting her name.

"My dream was always to entertain, to be a performer. Stardom really wasn't what I sought - I never thought about being famous, or having money. I just wanted to be good at what I did," the Bronx native said.

"I wanted to be a great actress, I wanted to be a great singer, I wanted to be a great performer. I wanted people to come see me on stage for what I did, not because of who I was. Scrutiny, criticism, fame and celebrity may be the trappings of stardom, and I will endure them all to share the joy of entertaining you, because that's all I ever wanted to do."

Trailblazers such as Sophia Loren, Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, Tina Turner, Bette Midler, Rita Moreno and Jane Fonda have all been inspiring, Lopez said.

Lopez, 43, got her start as a dancer - a Fly Girl , to be precise, on the '90s sketch comedy show "In Living Color."

She said that her journey from the Bronx "to this moment on Hollywood Boulevard is paved with the love and support of my family and friends, the family I've created working, and of course, you all the fans."

Lopez told CNN afterward that the ceremony was a "landmark moment."

"I feel so happy that I got to share it with my family and so many of the people that kind of were a big part of my career along the way, who really believed in me and supported me," she said. "It's been a beautiful day."

« Previous entry
  1. Angel Negrin

Jennifer Lopez you and Myra your aunt a very close friend, who I met at an art school in New York City have been a total
    And I mean real insperation in my life..If it wasn't for both I don't know. I honestly need to be with people like you , that are in the entertainment industry. I guess you know what I mean. I am so happy for you..Hope you will get back to me. I look at the Beautiful Crystal Ball that you J-LO sent me with Myra your aunt. Again I am very very happy for you. I am so happy for the STAR ON THE WALK OF FAME you receive J-LO that I forgot to let you know I Actor Model Dancer. Love .Qu.
    e Dies The Bendiga J-LO y toda tu familia.

October 17, 2013 at 4:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. J

I am a little bit shocked that there is anyone alive on this planet that believes any of that crap. Never thought about being famous? Please. Also, she is not a great singer and she is not a great actor. She's hot. That's it. She is one of the most self-absorbed Hollywood people I have ever seen, which is pretty sad.

June 26, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sir Bobowe

You live in a fantasy yourself....you are just envious because you ended up as a waitress in a fast food restaurant and had no talent or brains to advance any further in life.

June 28, 2013 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
    • jujubeans

I don't think J's ding ding is rising. Obviously female and jealous. But JLo's got an amazing badonkadonk and my ding ding is rising!

July 29, 2013 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. jlo's having s-x tonight...its about time

-=

June 26, 2013 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. jlo's having s-x tonight...

-=

June 26, 2013 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. Calmi

I cannot wait too see her dance at 45 years old! She sold millions of records maintains an amazing musical career she has a young lover, kids and preparing for tour...Congrats and see you in concert!

June 25, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joe

I find it so amusing when celebrities say that they never wanted fame, or stardom. If there was no one to hear them sing, or see them act, or, well, in the case of the Kardashians, and Paris Hilton, just see them... what would they do? No, I'm fairly sure that Miss Lopez wanted to be recognized, and wanted fame, regardless of what she did, or how she did it. I will give it to her though, she does look good, and that alone will draw crowds – "oh, this little ole dress... ".

June 25, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Yay JLO--

she's star and she looks amazing in the picture ...she is so happy....get ready for tour girlfriend cuz the I girls will be there!!!!

June 25, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. almac64

I don't understand why celebrities are so overwhelmed when they get a star on Hollywood Blvd. They have to pay for it themselves.

June 25, 2013 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. Steve S

I'd have voted for Lassie or Rin Tin Tin over J Lo.
    At least the pooches can act.

June 25, 2013 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. TScottB

"I wanted to be a great actress, I wanted to be a great singer, I wanted to be a great performer..." yeah, well NONE out of three ain't bad.

June 24, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mike

Actually pretty easy to receive a Hollywood Star. Look it up. You have to have someone pay the $35,000 and nominate you then the committee decides if you should get one. Not many get turned down. Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, The Rugrats, Shrek and even Godzilla all have one.

June 24, 2013 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. One of the greatest dancers in history....

she deserved every moment of that day - she can sing, dance her butt off, look put together, she's 45 yet has the body of a 30 year old....all the best jlo for being able too juggle it all–I commend her .

June 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • One of the sh!ttest bloggers in history....

J-Lo we know that it's you bloggin here and it's really sad. Don't you have a crapppy movie or cd to go work on so we can ignore it when it gets released?

June 25, 2013 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jennifer you are a TRUE MOVIE STAR....

Your fans are happy you got your Walk of Fame Star. We wish you much happines in your life.

June 24, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Once upon a time, there was a beutiful woman, called Jennifer Lopez

God gave her much talent as an actress, singer, dancer and business person. She has two beautiful children and a handsome partner. She is conquered Hollywood and the world completely. Her name is Jennifer Lopez.

June 24, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Maria Garcia-Carlson

Jennifer Lopez is the best , she makes proud the Human Race because she is beautiful inside and out. I am glad she got her Walk of Fame Star. Love You Jennifer. Keep up the good work.

June 24, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hennifer

Your grammar tells me you are from her native land too! viva la Mexico!

June 25, 2013 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Jr!

@Hennifer...JLo is is Puerto Rican not Mexcian (not that there's anything wrong with that!)! If you're going to belittle somone at least get your info correct!

June 25, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Ashley

why aren't they giving stars of the Walk of Fame to ACTUAL talented stars? Seems like anyone can get a star these days. Pretty soon it won't mean a damn thing. These should be saved for the true hollywood STARS. Actors or singers that aren't a dime a dozen.

June 24, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • to get one you need talent ad beauty..and success and fame...

Jennifer Lopez is a true Star and it was about time she got her Walk of Fame Star. We , are very happy for her.

June 24, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Panthro

One out of three ain't bad I guess Jenny from the "block" she really can't act, dang sure can't sing and she's a choreographed Fly Girl for life, that's all she's good for. Truth be known, if she didn't have that rump shaker, she would probably be dancing at some strip club......So she says she wasn't thinking about the money or stardom, my a$$!!!! She's as fake as a three dollar bill and she's only crying because she knows she doesn't deserve any kind of star related to her name..Fake HO!! Used to have a little now I have a lot, member those words Jenny???

June 24, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patines

Is it envy or you are just a misserable person? She's done what it takes to be there. Suc# it off!

June 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  18. David j Tracy DJT

Congratulations on your fame like Everyone said long over Due way back in the days as a Dancer. In Living Let me Show you Something HA HA HA.TEC ONE DJT.

June 24, 2013 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  19. All the women I know should have a star on the Walk of Shame

You know who you are, b!tches...

June 24, 2013 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  20. sarah

Don't they buy the Walk Of Fame themselves?

June 22, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • no, you idiot, you can not buy your own star

In order to have one, first of all you need to be famous, talented and beautiful, just like Jennifer Lopez.

June 24, 2013 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Dianne...

i saw the speech she was so humbled.

June 21, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leah in Boston

I saw her speech also, and she looked beautiful, humbly and unpretentious. She is a great lady.

June 24, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P.

I saw her speech and I thought she looked bloated and gass-y. She didn't formulate her sentences properly and she looked bored and uncaring.

June 25, 2013 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |