Kanye West: 'Yeezus' walks on 'SNL'
May 20th, 2013

Kanye West: 'Yeezus' walks on 'SNL'

Two "Saturday Night Live" sets, an Instagram and 66 projector images later, we now have a better picture of what's to come on Kanye West's anticipated new album.

As promised, the rapper - not to be confused with a celebrity - didn't take part in any of the skits for "SNL's" season finale/swan song for cast member Bill Hader. But he didn't need to - over the course of two songs, West still left a lasting impression.

The night's first set from the Chicago rapper/producer featured his new track, “Black Skinhead,” a ferocious, Marilyn Manson-sampled piece of audio that kind of comes as West’s answer to OutKast’s “B.O.B. (Bombs over Baghdad)” 13 years later.

[hulu id=h6ryyvtaamxznvwcjudhca width=450]

Wearing all-black leather and his red Air Yeezy II sneakers, West later jumped into another new single called “New Slaves" while backed by a projection of coupons and the message, “Not For Sale.”

It was the second time West used the technique to promo his new sounds this weekend. In one of the more creative music marketing campaigns we've seen, he debuted “New Slaves” by literally projecting the music video in 66 locations across the world on Friday night.

The new songs trail behind a storm of rumors that West's forthcoming sixth studio album will arrive on June 18, a date he tweeted earlier this month with zero explanation. If the lyrics and tone of his two latest singles are any indication, the record promises to be as bold as ... well, pretty much anything West has done before.

Thanks to his girlfriend/baby mama Kim Kardashian, it looks like we also have inside info on the album's title. Before the "SNL" broadcast, Kim K. dropped a picture of the Air Yeezy II’s next to what appears to be the album cover with the words “Yeezus” written on red tape in black sharpie.

#Yeezus #RedYeezy's #SNL  #Tonight #NewSlaves #YeezySeason #Donda #June18

The photo came with the caption: "#Yeezus #RedYeezy's #SNL  #Tonight #NewSlaves #YeezySeason #Donda #June18." (It looks like folks reporting that the album would be titled “I Am God” weren’t too far off.)

We’re not completely sold on that title yet, but there are no complaints on the music. What do you think?

1. marco

Hey people check out amazing speed art video i made of Kanye West for his new release New Slaves.

June 10, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Debbie McGwire

Kanye makes me want to poop my panties. His biggest fan is probably himself.

June 2, 2013 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  3. Lizard Lance

Kanye West is an over-rated, over-hyped, over-talked-about midget of talent. Need I add he takes himself far more seriously than anyone else does? I wish Taylor Swift stuffed the microphone down his throat to save us from more of his verbal garbage.

May 27, 2013 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. M.A.P.

I don't know what everyone's b!tchin about, I have never liked Kanye as a person or an artist, but these two songs are the first from him that I like. I think he will win over new fans – goth rappers at least.

May 22, 2013 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. Boo

People pay money for this crap?

May 21, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. lumphead Lesbeans

K never gonna hurt K

May 21, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Here!

This is not entertainment. Why would anyone want to fan the flame of that talentless ego. I hope SNL parodies these first thing next season, although they could hardly get more laughs than the real thing.

May 21, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cut the drama wrench...

the guy is a talent and loyal.....

May 21, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CD

I have to wonder just how Kim will react when he starts hitting her.

May 21, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Silly

Oh don't worry he will....

May 21, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. KAYNE SUCKS

OMG - he totally S U C K S. If anyone calls this "talent", you were born without a brain. Jumping around in his stupid red sissy shoes and screaming and jacking does not make him a musician. PLEEZ - take that preg h o e and move to a quiet little corner of the world where we never have to be exposed 2 either of you again. Two talentless schmucks who deserve each other.

May 21, 2013 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

Anger management sessions have your name on it! Get help for your anger!

May 21, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • We can help you if you need anger management help...let us know

thanks

May 21, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. do u like my sapphires pliny?

thanks

May 21, 2013 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  13. CD

Were this a just world, Taylor Swift would have jumped up on stage, stopped everything, before going into a drunken "Ima let you finish" tirade...

May 21, 2013 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • DudeBuddy

That would actually be fantastic. I would give them both props if they did that. No denying that would be great PR.

May 21, 2013 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  14. Meh

Shut up you angry yutz...try looking hospitable once in awhile you hack

May 21, 2013 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  15. M.A.P.

All hail king turd!

May 21, 2013 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  16. Not feeling it

Poor me, and poor you. I don't hate it, but seriously it is not new, original, or even provocative. Artist have to try so hard to be edgy because it has all been done before. Poor dude, he will def look back and laugh at this one.

May 21, 2013 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
    • DudeBuddy

The first song. The manson cover... That was done by Apathy in like 2007 – 2008 at around that time Apathy also made fun of Kanye in his own version of Love Lock Down (its acutally pretty awesome).... So this leads me to believe this is an intentional dig at Apathy... or Mr. West is really really clueless.

May 21, 2013 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  17. A∴A∴

A∴A∴

May 20, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Em

I think he is horrible. I made myself sit through his performances on SNL because every time I see him I look for some redeeming quality in this man – but it's never there. He is filled with hatred, arrogance, and more hatred. He makes me feel sick. I wish he and Kim would move far, far away and I'd never have to hear or see either of them ever again.

May 20, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |

A∴A∴

May 20, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sam Hain

Kim Kardashian and a duck walk into a bar. The bartender says, "Hey, where'd you get the pig?"
    Kim Kardashian say, "That's not a pig, that's a duck."
    The bartender says, "I was talking to the duck."

May 20, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  19. probably a hater

I I feel like people who say this will change rap music because it's so political need to revisit the hip hop catalog.

He's not a game changer, he's late to the game. Just like when he used that daft punk single (that was 10 years old) to "revolutionize" music... anyway, saying your not for sale, and talk about "new slaves" while working on collabs with Nike and Givenchy.... come on.

May 20, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  20. palintwit

Why is it everytime someone mentions Chick-fil-A I think of toothless teabilly inbreds?

May 20, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  21. frida

I loved it, it was new and creatve. Bravo Kanye.s

May 20, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  22. t

He is absolutley terrible.iHe thiinks he can sing come on he sucks.the skit band at the end with the snl crew was way better then this idiot.

May 20, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Disappointed...

with Mr. Kim Kardashian's new music. He seems to have run out of ideas and to be lacking creativity as evidenced by his SNL performance - doubltful the rest of his album will be much better. His label will probably drop him after this stinker bombs.

May 20, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  24. mrst

Wow...This was absolutely epic. Rap/rock/punk/etc. Kanye is a mad scientist and I love what's coming out of the his lab.

May 20, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |