Clive Davis reveals bisexuality in new memoir
February 19th, 2013

Clive Davis reveals bisexuality in new memoir

Industry legend Clive Davis is recounting both his personal and professional life in a new memoir called "The Soundtrack of My Life."

The exec, who helped form the careers of artists like Whitney Houston, Janis Joplin, Bruce Springsteen and Alicia Keys, focuses mainly on his work with such varied and marquee stars over the past five decades, Rolling Stone reports.

But it wouldn't be a memoir if Davis didn't get personal.

Toward the end of his tome, the 80-year-old record exec goes into detail about his sexuality. Davis, who's twice-divorced, reportedly explains that he began to explore relationships with men during "the era of Studio 54."

On one particular evening, Davis writes that he was  "open to responding to [the] sexual overtures" of a gentleman admirer.

"Was I nervous? Absolutely," Davis writes, according to Entertainment Weekly. "Did the heavens open up? No. But it was satisfying."

Through subsequent years, Davis writes, he held relationships with both men and women. He's been in a monogamous relationship with a man for the past seven years.

Timed in conjunction with his book's February 19 release, Davis will also appear on Katie Couric's daytime show "Katie" to discuss the stories he's chosen to share.

In a preview clip of their Tuesday chat, the exec explains to Couric, as he reportedly does in the book, that he considers himself to be bisexual.

"I'm still attracted to women. You don't have to be only one thing or another," Davis says. "For me it's the person. I'm in a monogamous relationship, [and] I respect monogamy. And I hope that this is understood."

Filed under: Books • Celebrities • Music

« Previous entry
  1. clean crack

I would like to thnkx for the efforts you've put in writing this site. I'm hoping the same high-grade site post from you in the upcoming also. In fact your creative writing skills has encouraged me to get my own website now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a good example of it.

March 11, 2013 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. Patricia Britt

Audience Feedback

Mr. Davis,

Thank you, so much for all the artists you've helped bring to the public. I grew up seeing your name on the linear notes of so many of my favorites artists projects, for so many years. I believe I recall an interview with Alicia Keys where I believe she said, you might have given her a pink piano at the launch of her career. That was one of the most beautiful stories I've ever heard about investing in someone's potential.

To see Whitney Houston portrayed as a princess with cloth draped over one shoulder on her first album cover is an image I will remember all my life. To see the talent in Barbra Streisand, Brittney Spears, and Jennifer Hudson are such tremendous gifts to the world, or perhaps the universe as Deepak Chopra speaks of good vibrations.

I hope you're scheduled to appear on Tavis Smiley, because longer format interviews are so nice when it comes to music. Your book is probably packed with music history, and destined to be a smash.

Piers,

Alicia Keys is truly a renaissance woman, and one of the most positive souls I've seen on television, that would probably give a magical interview with inspiration for a diverse audience, in addition to depth about rising above poverty with dreams regardless of her childhood surroundings that were similar to the children of Chicago that you've occasionally spotlighted, as well as other major cities. Maybe she's already one of your scheduled guests since she has a new CD, and a smart phone ap for children. Robin Thicke might be a good guest too since he, and Maxwell are this era's Marvin Gaye.

Thank you, for the political interviews. The Rod Stewart, LL Cool J, Blair Underwood interviews were great, because it's always nice to look at positive spirits on the airwaves.

March 8, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. strony internetowe

It is not my first time to pay a quick visit this site, i am browsing this site dailly and obtain pleasant information from here daily. strony internetowe http://www.studentsofknowledge.com/member/52079

February 28, 2013 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kristopher

I've always felt like Mr, Davis was bi or gay and thought he was a cute old guy still is

February 25, 2013 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. Wondering

Who is Clive Davis?

February 20, 2013 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • betty

Really? People actually say who is Clive Davis? Wow. You know how to google don't ya?

February 20, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • what

what is a google

February 20, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.A.P. (Mothers against poo)

God i hate it when people type comment s like 'who is Clive Davis'. WHO ARE YOU!? Get out of my face with your braindead coments ARRGH!

February 22, 2013 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. Thomas

If this story were, instead, about some hot young starlet; I am sure many would not only be interested, but would be searching the Internets Tubes for pictures.

But because it is about some old guy, all of a sudden people are repulsed.

February 20, 2013 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Big Al

Fact of life: More people would rather shag a hot starlet than a middle aged dude. Another fact of life: Hot starlets who are "bi" are hotter than middle aged dudes who are "bi."

That it took you this long to figure these things out is really sort of sad.

February 20, 2013 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Texas Dude

Thomas, why did it take Big Al to explain something to you that really not mystifying to ANYONE but you?

February 20, 2013 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. Tutti Frutti

Clive Davis–Yuck! Now Clive Owen–gimme gimme!!

February 20, 2013 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. Observer

Clive Davis must be driving crazy the people who like to think the world is all a simple-minded black and white.

February 20, 2013 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. Clive

nice man–wonder why he would talk about his other life now. according too the paper everyone knew anyway...so he's bi who cares. its his business

February 20, 2013 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. Enjoy

s*x in the AFTANOON - don't start with the past–before i start with yours...be nice....

February 20, 2013 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  11. MM

I guess he had to some out with something to give his book a jump start because who really cares about his life. Really!

February 19, 2013 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • les

You can't be serious...

February 19, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • really

He's not only probably serious, he is correct.

Absent his "omg! I'm BI", his book is a vapid retelling of boring tales already heard.

February 20, 2013 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. hjc

really, who cares?

February 19, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Upchuck

And this would be a surprise to who exactly?

February 19, 2013 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mylife55

Ugh! ...well he does have a book to sell, after all.

February 19, 2013 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lol

lol

February 19, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  16. uh

ok

February 19, 2013 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  17. CliveDrama

after 50 years in the business he's coming out now? please.

February 19, 2013 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Tyler

Eh, you straights can keep him.

February 19, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. ug

oh goody an old senile old man comes out...how quaint...

February 19, 2013 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dr E Lewis

You know, I could've gone my WHOLE like without that tidbit of info. about Clive. Clive honey, keep what you do in the bedroom between YOU & to whomever you do it. Save a little mystery for Christ's sake!

February 19, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Crow

Who cares who goes to bed with whom? This is not news.

February 19, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. hello

your 45 right soooooo your point?

February 19, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Mitch

Big new flash, not. Gross, yes.

February 19, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee9

I agree–people should not write these memoirs when they are already OLD as dirt–the visuals are just amazingly disturbing....eww.

February 19, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

Queen Bee, you will be old one day too you know. Plus for the most part the young don't write memoirs as they don't yet have the life memories to write about.

February 19, 2013 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • marsilius

People really ought to be able to abstract away from considerations of that kind.

February 19, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Ajax

I don't know. I'm starting to think that when famous people come out with this stuff it's purely selfish aggrandisement aimed at cleaning up their legacy. He's getting old and probably wants to be the source rather than having it come out after he's gone. That way everyone will think he's honest to a fault. I think if a guy's had a couple of wives and four kids maybe he ought to keep this kind of personal information to himself.

February 19, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  25. LiLa

Why do so many famous people feel the need to share the most intimate and often, most banal details of their lives? Do they really believe that we care that much about them?

February 19, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackson

It's news because CNN doesn't care if you post negative or positive comments, they just want you to click on the article, and increase the number of hits. The more hits, the more ad revenue they can charge.

So, when all you "who cares" types come posting, you tell CNN that they can count on you to click on these articles in the future.

The only way to *truly* register that you don't care is by NOT clicking...as soon as you click, your words don't matter to CNN. You clicked, they win.

February 19, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • KethanMO

A lot of times, it's because if they don't, one of the tabloids will. You know how the magazines love to print stories about the private lives of celebrities. If the celebrity becomes aware that the story is coming out, they sometimes decide to announce it on their own to preempt the magazine and reduce the shock value.

February 19, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • woodstockwoody

Maybe he shared it because it's a book about his life? Mindblowing isn't it?

February 19, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim D.

Not sure if its mind blowing but he was definitely blowing something...

February 20, 2013 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  26. nam

Shocking – NOT.

February 19, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Dave254

NOT exactly NEWS!

February 19, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  28. huh?

Can you still even do anything at 80? Sort of a moot point I think.

February 19, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Darn it

He's gay.

February 19, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jim Dandey

Who's Clive Davis, and who CARES?

February 19, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom B

Apparently YOU cared enough to read the article and comment on it!

February 19, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  31. budshot

Ew. TMI.

February 19, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Commander Neutral

The news of this fills me with no strong feelings one way or the other.

February 19, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  33. boyamidumb

Clive who cares?

February 19, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  34. cindy

I'm straight and proud of it. I'm glad I finally said it!

February 19, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • ROO

You aren't stigmatized for being straight. You don't have to hide the fact that your straight. That's the difference. Otherwise there would be no such articles about "reveals bi-s-e-x-u-a-l-i-t-y". It would have been a non issue that no one rumored or gossiped about. Common sense.

February 20, 2013 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  35. geez

i thought he was gay!

February 19, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Guy Montag

Ohhhh- what a surprise!!!

February 19, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Desert1

If thats the case then I am going to be a weird old straight guy.

February 19, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  38. who knows!!!!

she may head to the fashion industry she's gotton enough offers....hahahaha

February 19, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Yep!

we knew! its ok!!! its the actual leaving the building that's the part! i have 2 other homes ahead, need rest, and 1 semester i will do during the day....all good!!!!! seeo wants me too stay dont think i will....time for a change!

February 19, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  40. FULL_METAL

Well, this certainly explains why some guys got their music out there...

February 19, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Snoop-Bloggy-Blog

You can get bi-sectional sofas at Slumberland for a reasonable price in assorted colors. It doesn't matter how your room is configured, or whether you need put your furniture on the left or right side of the room - this sofa can go both ways!

February 19, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  42. d

I'm straight. Man that feels good to get that out there.

February 19, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Louis

I'm a one woman man. But I wasn't born that way. God changed my life. But now everyone is going to call me a bigot.

February 19, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  43. that's why i was crying hacker

our department folded - now i can take that vacation–good thing seo wants me...and i have other offers...
    right now i will be taking the rest i've needed for along time....take care....you have new material to poke fun of now.

February 19, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Josh

Good for him. Who cares what other people think. The world is too pious and mighty to begin with.

February 19, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  45. HookedonKeifer

So? Why mention it now? Is he looking for a date or something? Ewwwwwwww old guy alert.

February 19, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  46. jon

we like clive letterman...continue on my dear–

February 19, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  47. crew

its what we said 6 months ago.....she's addicted, isolated and can't stop....now let's get off the machine please.

February 19, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  48. ArchieDeBunker

The only question worth debating here is WHY this guy thinks he "has to" reveal this. Who in the world cares? Or is it because he knows, subconsciously or otherwise, that he's sick, and wants to make a confession. So why doesn't he confess to his priest or minister and leave the rest of us out of it? We're just not interested, so SHUT UP ABOUT IT!

February 19, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • woodstockwoody

The first sentence in the article was a tough read, huh?

February 19, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • marsilius

Where is there any indication he thought he "had to" reveal this? Perhaps he just wanted to.

February 19, 2013 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  49. mary ann

your not a book seller–your stoopid

February 19, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  50. scy385

So? This is hardly news in this day and age. The only thing is that today people can talk about who they are. Especially if they have books to sell.

February 19, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Danielle

wow

February 19, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Gorsh

I want to publicly announce that I am straight. Why we have to announce our proclivities, I don't know, but there you go.

February 19, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Maybe because everyone assumes you are straight even when you are gay or bi? Your orientation is automatically acknowledged, accepted and celebrated. That's why you fail to understand.

February 19, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gorsh

February 19, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark

> No, I think it has more to do with people's pathetic need to be "acknowledged, accepted and celebrated."

DING DING DING... we have a winner

February 19, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • I'm not hacker...

she's still talking after all we've done too it...

February 19, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • blf3

Few, if any,people are 100% straight or 100% gay.

February 19, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Irene Done

Hey, Gmac Era! Could you send me a copy of the "Gay Agenda"? I'd like to see what's on it.

February 19, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  53. ashamed

After reading all these comments, it's no wonder there's so much suicide and hate crimes in our country. The whole reason he probably has to say he's bi is because our society doesn't accept people for who they are. you should all look in the mirror before judging....

February 19, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

What a ridiculous thing to say ashamed. I'm a bi man not because I'm secretly gay and afraid to come out but because I'm attracted to both genders.

February 19, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rod

I agree with you Kyle. Thanks for the post.

February 19, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Billie

Never heard of him – don't care –

February 19, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  55. GailS

Way to go, Clive. You coming out of the closet will make it that much easier for the next person.

February 19, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  56. lilyq

Here we go again. Why oh why do those who identify with anything other than straight, feel the need to divulge what/whom they prefer in the bedroom? NOTHING is private, NOTHING is sacred. Why? "Do" whomever you please, that's YOUR business, but please stop informing the world. Good grief!!!

February 19, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • justme

I hate to break it to you but memoirs /books about straight people included who/what they went to bed with too.

February 19, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • lesmoore

Pssst, straight people sleep around too – then a write book about it or make a s e x tape.

February 19, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • lilyq

justme/lesmoore: swooooooooosh! That is the sound of my point going over your head.

February 19, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Peter

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 19, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  58. us_1776

Tell us something we didn't know.

February 19, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  59. lance corporal

check craigslist sometime for all the "straight" guys looking for M+M hookups bis exuality is probably the unadmitted norm

February 19, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Diane

Whatever floats his boat!

February 19, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  61. That was Fast!!!!!!!!

file it under desperate house wives–

February 19, 2013 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  62. scoo

well this was no revelation at all. did he also reveal that whitney houston liked cocaine?

February 19, 2013 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  63. ManT

paid off - we know its 5 we don't know which 5 but there are 5 involved in madonna's life....

February 19, 2013 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  64. paid off

tom...the 5 stink...

February 19, 2013 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  65. R

Ewwwwww TMI dude. TMI

February 19, 2013 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • tom

He R....ewwwwwwwwwwww??? Reeeeeally? Ya know the year is 2013...and it's been more than okay for people to be or love whomever they want to be for years now. It's also okay to talk about it. Bet you'd be bragging all over the place about a specific conquest and talking in detail about it....if ANYONE was interested in you. So get over it.

February 19, 2013 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Tiffany

@Tom what's popular has never equaled what is right. God's opinion view not changed.

February 19, 2013 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael

@Tiffany

God hasn't changed his views on slavery, either:

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ." – Ephesians 6:5

I am fortunate enough to not believe in or worship this immoral being. Sucks for you, but yours is probably the kind of mind that such immorality appeals to.

February 19, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • kake79

@Michael... the Bible didn't say slavery was cool by him; it just said that if you happen to be a slave (which was common when the Bible was written), you should obey your master. The Bible was pretty clear (in the New Testament) that ALL are equal in the eyes of God; man, woman, Jew, Gentile. You also have to remember that slavery then was very different than the chattel slavery practiced a couple of centuries ago.

Having said all that, in response to Clive's memoir. I say, right on. Glad he finally feels free to be open about his life. Of course, my guess is that most people in the industry already knew this and it's just news to us.

February 19, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Tony

I could have gone through the rest of the day without knowing this.

February 19, 2013 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

why? how does this affect your life? it doesn't.

February 19, 2013 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • groo

I have to agree with Bubbar. I wish people could just get on with their lives and not leave the details out in the open. Most of us don't care and just wish they would go die for telling us about it.

February 19, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • led

The headline cleary stated the subject, but you were drawn to it somehow.....

February 19, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Demarcus

Now that wasn't a very nice thing to say.

February 19, 2013 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  68. Davis

Looking like that, I bet he has to take his loving any way he can get it.

February 19, 2013 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |