March 19th, 2012
11:32 AM ET
“Pretty Little Liars” fans have patiently (OK, and sometimes impatiently) waited for answers since the addictive show's premiere in June 2010.
And tonight, as the teen drama’s second season comes to a close, viewers will finally find resolve: A’s identity will be revealed.
We’re not sure if the hoodie-wearing menace who's been tormenting the girls is also Alison’s murderer, but after 46 episodes of cryptic text messages and puzzling clues, closing just one case ought to be enough to tide us over until next season.
With new characters and subplots popping up left and right, there’s no shortage of suspects. However, as the writers have tried to throw us off A’s trail, we've re-watched episodes and scanned blogs for clues to identify the potential culprit.
Here’s what we came up with:
1. Ezra Fitz: We’ve had our eye on Fitz since the pilot episode. Why would he play tonsil hockey with a random teenager (Aria) in a bar bathroom before starting work as a high school teacher?
Our first clue that Fitz could be "A" is the English teacher's affinity for younger girls. Thus, it's possible he was the “older guy” Alison dated before her death. (We originally thought the guy she talked about was Ian, but that was never officially confirmed.)
And there’s more! In season 1, Noel confronted Fitz about getting a "C" on his English paper - which he promptly crossed out and changed to an "A." Could he have been sending Fitz a message? It also seems a little too convenient that A blackmailed Aria to “get rid of" Fitz’s ex-fiancée, Jackie Molina. Meanwhile, all the other "liars" had to break up with their boyfriends and endanger their families. Fishy, right? We know.
2. Mona: The smarty pants-turned-popular girl seems like an obvious choice. She’s been featured in recent episodes, hanging out with the girls more often. She even started receiving texts from A. But it’s possible she’s been sending them to herself. (Her most recent task was to make out with Hanna’s boyfriend.) She also has a lot of extra cell phones sitting around. (She lent one to Hanna a few episodes ago.) And then there’s the episode of Caleb’s birthday party, when Mona claimed she was “skinny dipping” during Hanna and Lucas’ fight on the water. But is she too obvious an "A" contender?
3. Jenna: We already know Jenna is a good liar, and now that she’s got her vision back, she’s an even bigger threat. She’s been a prime suspect since the season 1 finale, when Garrett gave her page 5 of Ali’s file. It seemed Garrett was under the impression she was going to burn the piece of paper. However, she recently returned the page to the police department, claiming she had no idea what information it contained. Jenna’s eclectic snow globe collection is also a bit shady, given the fact that Alison once hid a key inside her own snow globe.
4. Garrett: After admitting he joined the police force to get back at the liars, Garrett has seemed even creepier than usual. (What is it with the Rosewood men and young girls?) First he was dating Jenna, and now he’s kissing Melissa - what other shady business is this dirty cop up to? We also know that Garrett was a member of the N.A.T club (N.A.T. being short for a Latin phrase, which translates to “we see all”). The group included Garrett, Jason and Ian - and Melissa and Jenna might have been in on it, too.
5. Melissa: Spencer’s big sis recently admitted to sending Alison threatening text messages, but we’re not sure she’s A. Though, it’s obvious she knows more than she lets on. (She shows up in a video taken in Alison’s room, and was recently spotted kissing Garrett.)
6. Spencer’s dad: The man has already tried to keep a broken lacrosse stick buried in the yard, and has lied about fathering Alison’s brother, Jason. He’s also admitted to having Alison followed, saying it was to protect Ali from a very jealous Melissa. But something’s not right with Mr. Hastings.
7. Alison: Fans who’ve read the books have mentioned that Alison’s twin Courtney eventually pops up in the novels. We’re not sure if the series will follow suit, but we did notice side-by-side pictures of Alison and a look-a-like in her bedroom during the Halloween episode, making us wonder if she has a twin. What if the projections of Alison that the girls have been seeing aren’t dreams after all?
8. Maya: We haven’t seen Emily’s ex since she skipped town a few episodes ago, but she was acting extremely suspicious before leaving Rosewood.
9. Lucas: Lucas seemed guilty the night of Caleb’s birthday party, when he and Hanna had their rowboat altercation. And although he eventually explained his behavior - he borrowed money from Caleb to make a bet on a basketball game - it's not exactly an airtight alibi.
10. One of the pretty little liars: We don’t want to believe that Aria, Spencer, Hanna or Emily might be working undercover as A, but it’s a possibility.
Aria does begin with the letter A, and, conveniently, A didn't start terrorizing the girls until Aria got back from Iceland. Jason also seemed to think something was up with Aria, because the girls found countless pictures of her in his shed one night.
Aria also happens to be the only little liar who hasn’t seen Alison in a dream, or been physically harmed or touched by A:
Share your theories below, and check back tomorrow for our season 2 finale recap.
About this blog
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.