Could 'Bridesmaids' snag an Oscar nod?
January 23rd, 2012

Could 'Bridesmaids' snag an Oscar nod?

When you reflect back on the biggest movies of 2011, taking into consideration box office success, buzz and residual impact, "Bridesmaids" is an obvious choice for the top of the list.

The film, written by Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo and directed by Paul Feig, not only established a box office record - it's the top-grossing R-rated female comedy ever with $169 million earned domestically - but it was also loved by both critics and audiences alike.

Add to that its lingering cultural impact of reinforcing the (captain obvious) concept that women can be just as raunchily comedic as men, along with the public clamoring for a sequel, and it would make sense if you expect to see it among the best picture Oscar nominees announced tomorrow.

The debate over whether this comedy could find a spot on the Oscar nods list has been going on since its release last May. (In a review, The Wrap, wary of over-praising the film, toned down expectations by saying that "Bridesmaids" "won't change your life or win a fistful of Oscar nominations...But it will make you laugh...)

Let's say you weren't betting on a "fistful" of Oscar nods, but rather just one or two. Most acknowledge that "Bridesmaids" could find itself among the best picture nominees, or snagging a best supporting actress nod for Melissa McCarthy.

The best picture possibilities, it seems, really boil down to whether the Academy will go with five nominees, or 10 - because it could be anywhere in between.

"It will fluctuate between five and 10, depending on the strength of support behind the films," Gold Derby explained in December. In a poll of Oscars watchers, most came to the conclusion that if the category were to allow 10 nods, "Bridesmaids" would slide right in.

With just days to go before the nominations, Entertainment Weekly, The Hollywood Reporter and E! all had "Bridesmaids" sneaking onto their lists of possible best picture Oscar nominees, although THR notes that it sees "Bridesmaids" as more of a "potential surprise" than an actual contender.

The Los Angeles Times, with the aid of its "heat meter," is also less confident."Though the perception is that the movie has some traction in the run-up to the Oscars, the numbers paint a somewhat different picture," the paper notes, going on to illustrate with its data that the film itself is "a long-shot in pretty much all of the categories in which it might hope to compete."

McCarthy, considered a front-runner for the best supporting actress category, is more like a maybe, the Times said. Expectations would be better placed on the movie picking up a best original screenplay nod. While it's true that the Academy will recognize successful films that have resonated with moviegoers - such as "Avatar," or "The Blind Side" - "it's just increasingly clear they're not hungry for this big commercial hit."

New York Magazine's Vulture breaks it down this way: "The Globes has separate categories for comedy, and still 'Bridesmaids' didn't break through. Can it really make the best picture cut with the much tougher Oscar membership?"

That's the question on the table, Oscars watchers. The industry observers are leaning toward a big, fat "maybe," but what do you think? Is a best picture nod in the cards for "Bridesmaids," and do you think McCarthy's chances of a best supporting actress nod are as strong as everyone has been saying? Sound off below!

Filed under: Awards Season • movies • Oscars 2012

1. InCo

Female here, still didn't like it. It's not just men. I'm not saying I hate it, but just call it what it is – a mediocre movie, C+ at absolute best. I actually really love Kristen Wiig, but she still didn't make this movie better than your average flick. Wiig was actually in a far superior film, Whip It!, while not as widely touted it's really very good; it's Drew Barrymore's directorial debut – very promising for Barrymore. Honestly though, there's not really a difference in men and women's humor, nor is there a difference in white people's humor and black people's humor. Come on people, stop spouting nonsensical rubbish.

January 27, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Human

Correction. Male viewers DID NOT like this movie.

January 26, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Human

I thought this movie was a breath of fresh air. I noticed none of the male reviewers really liked this movie, which makes me laugh because it's so typical. Seriously, women are just as disgusting (if not more) as men when the men aren't watching. We can be raunchy and make each other laugh, and I have no idea why that's so shocking to some people. I would have to say that it could definitely win for screenplay or under the comedy category but film of the year? That's dreaming. The oscars are run by a bunch of stodgey old white people. A grown woman crapping in a sink is not going to really make them vote. This movie doesn't need an Oscar, it's going to be remembered for a long time with or without some meaningless award.

January 26, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mike

I agree with many others ... does not deserve an Oscar nod. I love Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy both but this movie really didn't do it for me. It's a female version of The Hangover at best, and not as funny. This movie was most definitely OVERRATED.

January 24, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rim

The most overrated movie I have ever seen. It was supposed to be the female answer to the hangover. If thats the case then the female answer is boring and unfunny.

January 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Observer

Two words for this film:
    Liberal.
    Garbage.

January 24, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. GrandmaWI

Bridesmaid is a running joke in my group. That was the worst movie I have ever seen. But in a world where "O" got the peace award, Gore and Moore got a award for their movies what do you expect?

January 24, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ga4276

I always wonder who they ask about these films. Who are the "viewers" who are raving about this film? We rented it because we thought we had missed something spectacularly funny. Love Melissa from Mike and Molly but this film was didn't do anything for us. Guess most of the posters here were not part of the opinion poll either.

January 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. coriolana

Good grief, no! But it's a shoe-in for the Razzies.

January 24, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rich

WORST movie I have ever seen.... OSCAR?....

someone must of heard ORCA vs OSCAR..and thought of that fat disgusting person

January 24, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  11. Tara t 1

@AJ that's a load of bs you're peddling.

January 24, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  12. xabana

I thought it was a mediocre movie at best. No way did McCarthy deserve an oscar nomination. Absolutely no way.

January 24, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Electric_Pink

Well, she got one. She won't win but that doesn't matter. McCarthy broke new ground being nominated.

January 24, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. LouJackson

People and their rudeness never cease to amaze me. Yesterday I read "A fat person can't be beautiful." Today "fat people shouldn't leave their house." What is wrong with you people?! Talent doesn't have a thing to do with weight or looks. I personally loved the movie, and I'll be elated if it gets a nom!

January 24, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Electric_Pink

I agree. Beauty comes in all sizes, shapes, colors and ages. One has to be objective to see another person's beauty. Character is more important anyway, and that in itself can be beautiful.

January 24, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. John

McCarthy was pretty funny but as a whole the movie was rubbish. in no way should this movie even be nominated, let alone win ANY awards EVER.
    Wiig is one note and only suited for SNL, where she is great. She is not a movie star of any kind.

January 24, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  15. JennyT

I hope not. Stupid movie. I think some of the actor's in it are talented, so it's nothing about any of them personally, just a really idiotic movie. The main character was ANNOYING.

January 24, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  16. Electric_Pink

I finally broke down and saw "Bridesmaids" over the weekend because I wanted to see what the hype was about. It was a funny movie that made me laugh out loud throughout it. Wiig and McCarthy were hilarious, and Rudolph was a strong supporting character who was also pretty funny. However, I don't believe the film is Oscar-worthy. And McCarthy as Best Supporting Actress? No. She was funny, but no. When I think of Oscar-worthy comedies, I think of "Tootsie" and "Moonstruck." But I do think this film raises the bar for writing. It was a really funny movie.

January 24, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  17. Scott

This movie is good and very funny- but it's like an Adam Sandler movie at its best.

January 24, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  18. mbane

Seriouslly CNN? It started off as an ok average run of the mill comedy and then it fell apart before it turned into a cheese ball with Wilson Phillips singing. To even sugest that this is Oscar quality is just another exemple of the dumbing down of society and the extremelly low quality of movies in general these days.

January 24, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  19. Doris Shuman

WE TRIED watching it and it was TERRIBLE. NO WAY IN the world should this movie even be considered. TERRIBLE!

January 24, 2012 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Electric_Pink

Come on, Doris. *SPOILERS* You didn't chuckle when Annie's roommate's sister poured a bag of frozen peas on her scabby, tattooed back, totally misunderstanding Annie's suggestion? Or Liilian sitting in the street and ____ing in that wedding dress because of the food poisoning? I thought Megan _____ing in the sink was GROSS. Or Annie and Helen one-upping each other at Lillian's engagement party with the speeches? Or Annie drunk and high on the plane? None of that was remotely funny to you? I know we all have different senses of humor and I mean no disrespect to you. Just wondering

January 24, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  20. Sam the Man

Fat people are a disgrace! They should be ashamed of themselves to even go out the house and be seen.

January 24, 2012 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Electric_Pink

Really? Tell that to the dough boy who just won the SC Republican primary.

January 24, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  21. DMX @10:30

Stfu troll b!otch ! No one gives a eff what u thinks. You live and breathe Marquee.

January 24, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  22. Kayla

Weird white folks humor,it wasn't funny to me at all my boyfriend thought The Hangover was hysterical,I didn't like that one either.

January 24, 2012 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Electric_Pink

I'm black and I thought the film was funny. Not all black folks relate only to black comedians and uniquely African-American culture. I guess you totally missed the fact that Maya Rudolph is half black (daughter of Minnie Riperton) and that legendary comedian Franklyn Ajaye, whose father is from Sierra Leone and mother from the US, portrayed her father in the film. No one mentioned race until you came up in here with that divisive mess. I guess now I'm an Oreo then, right? SMH.

January 24, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • xabana

To original poster: You should work on your grammar issues before criticizing white folks for what they like.

January 24, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  23. Barbara

HA!!!! They claim this was the female version of the Hangover – NOT!!!! soooo not funny and not worth an Oscar!!!!! Please, who is on the oscar panel????? I actually fell asleep!!!!! what a waste of money.........

January 24, 2012 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  24. Nemanya

Well for best original screenplay yes, but for best picture,certainly not.

January 24, 2012 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
  25. Kim

This article is terribly written. This is the quality that CNN has to offer as front page material? I would think with so many qualified candidates needing employment, the cream would rise. Evidently hiring high schoolers is cheaper.

January 24, 2012 at 4:28 am | Report abuse |
  26. InCo

To think that Bridesmaids is comparable to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo or The Descendants is folly, it's a grandiose naivete more humorous than Bridesmaids could ever hope to be. – I'm sticking with my prior statement.

January 24, 2012 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
  27. Jeff

Are you serious? This should be up for a Razzie. Not only is it a horrible movie...it wasn't even a good comedy. I don't recall laughing once. It was absurd, uncomfortable, and gross. I thought maybe I needed to be a woman to understand it. All I can say is my wife didn't even watch the second half (she couldn't stand it)...at least I stumbled my way through the entire thing.

January 24, 2012 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  28. Joesense

what rubbish, this is definitely NOT oscar material, not even close. Every year, the academy proves they get some lousy film in the final list.

January 24, 2012 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
  29. InCo

Woah, woah! When did this become about woman on woman "violence" – or conversely, hate? I'm sorry, I graduated from high school. Just cause there are immature little sh!ts who frequent these blogs, who like to press peoples' buttons, doesn't mean you should bother to become incensed by their petty comments. Frankly, it's what is commonly referred to as 'feeding the trolls'. You'll never knock any sense into them so why bother acknowledging them. Focus on the sane peoples' comments. Besides, some of them were exaggerating – of course they know that Bridesmaids getting a nom wouldn't devalue the Academy Awards in the eyes of the elite, they just wanted to be dramatic. As for the others, well, didn't I mention trolling?

January 24, 2012 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
  30. JEHSEA

I think super talented Ms. McCarthy, "Bridesmaides" itself, and the writers for Best Original Screenplay should all be nominated.

Further, I think the snarky, overly dramatic commentary here ("if it does get a nom, I'm *never* watching the Oscars again!" "If it gets nominated, the Academy Awards will lose all credibility!", etc.), is a fine example of how WOMEN TEAR EXCEPTIONAL, SMART, FUNNY, OR PRETTY OTHER WOMEN APART – BEHIND THEIR BACKS – IN HIGH SCHOOL, AND LATER, THE WORKPLACE, BECAUSE THOSE DOING THE SNARKY COMMENTS AND BACK-STABBING ARE INTIMIDATED AND INSECURE!

And they say itchy little things like "Your caps lock is stuck, dear.", rather than face the fact that it rattles them a little bit that a NON-ANOREXIC woman is secure in herself, smart as hell, and painted a portrait of womanhood they could relate to and laugh *with* when they wanted to laugh *at*. So these snarky commenters are scared down to their last can of Aqua Net that smart, funny, *fat* (shudder) woman might get rewarded. And then the snarky women just MIGHT have to think about maturity, growing up, and putting those pom-poms away. (And NO; I am 4' 10" and a size 0, not anorexic, just small adult, non-snarky version).

January 24, 2012 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  31. Gavin Ford

With ten nominees, why not? And nominations for Kristen and Melissa too.

January 24, 2012 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  32. Eric of Reseda

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Although a fun and funny film, this wasn't HALF the film of, say, "Parenthood", or even "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective", for which Carrey should have gotten AT LEAST a nomination for Best Actor for creating one of the most original and brilliantly comedic characters EVER. If Hollywood finally bestows a Best Pic on a comedy again, it will have to equal or surpass "Annie Hall", and "Bridesmaids" isn't even close.

January 24, 2012 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  33. madhater

The Hangover blows

January 24, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  34. InCo

I only laughed a handful of times and I thought the overall pacing of the movie was a little slow. Decent film, but not at all great. While I agree that we all need some laughs and that it is beneficial to the human spirit, there is a reason tragedy and drama has often grabbed mankind's attentions – all the way back to Shakespeare, tales of Lancelot and Guinevere and Tristan and Isolde, even Homer's works. Laughter may be uplifting, but alas, tragedies unite and inspire us. Strange, but true. We shouldn't depreciate something because it isn't funny, nor vice versa. Enough of that somber subject though.

January 24, 2012 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
    • VA Democrat

You clearly haven't watched enough Mel Brooks or Monty Python films!!

January 24, 2012 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Emma

Oh, fortheloveof... don't compare this rubbish to Monty Python or Mel Brooks. The rest of the world already thinks Americans are imbeciles - you don't have to prove it, dear.

January 24, 2012 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
  35. carrieanne

Theyre kidding right? Oscar? I dont think so!

January 24, 2012 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  36. Frida

Melissa McCarthy certainly deserves a Best Supporting nod!

January 24, 2012 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  37. InCo

To think that Bridesmaids is comparable to a film such as The Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo or The Descendants is folly, it's a grandiose naivete more humorous than Bridesmaids could ever hope to be. By no means do I hate the film, but an orange is still an orange; it is what it is, and Bridesmaids is a C+ movie at absolute best.

January 23, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  38. mfx3

Since when is comedy considered high art? This is what happens when you live in a world of commercialism, where junk that sells quick and easy tickets gets top honors. Hollywood peaked in the 40's and will never reclaim a fraction of its glory days.

January 23, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • ha ha ha

I'd like to think that comedy has been "high art" since the beginning of time-surely the cavemen acted out funny situations to pass the time rather than a tragic death scene!!

January 24, 2012 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  39. InCo

It's just plain undeserving of a nomination. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, now that's an Oscar worthy film.

January 23, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Teri

I thought Kirsten Wigg did a wonderful job in this movie! Yes, Melissa McCarthy was hilarious, but I thought Kirsten Wigg proved that she could really act in this film.

January 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  41. chaozz

They only nom movies seen in 1 theater by 2 guys over 80.

January 23, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Lori

Maybe Melissa McCarthy for supporting actress... she was the best thing in the movie.

January 23, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  43. The Hangover

I have not talked to many guys who enjoyed this movie at all. I feel like it was almost an attempt at a female version of "The Hangover"....unfortunately, it does not even come close.

January 23, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • ?

Well, it's not a movie FOR guys, so of course they wouldn't find it funny! You're not going to "get it".

January 23, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Viv

As a girl who *loved* 'The Hangover', I totally agree. 'Bridesmaids' was so unfunny, I think a little part of me died inside.

January 24, 2012 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
    • L

II still haven't seen Bridesmaids, but the hangover was boring. If that's your idea of humor, I feel sorry for you.

January 24, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  44. Holly

This was a great movie!! It came out about a month before my wedding, and I went for my bachelorette party. Hilarious! The romantic aspect could have been left out, even though I liked the cop, but the interactions between the women = fantastic!

January 23, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  45. mogwai

not funny. sucked. women think they're funny, but there are very few good female comedians. most are just b!tches who hate men. (kathy griffin)

January 23, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul E in Louisville

Kathy Griffin hates men? Wow – what color is the sky in your world?

January 23, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Dkj

This movie had some funny parts but all in all the writing was terrible. A very thin attachment from one funny moment to the next. The first American Pie movie was writing genius compared to this movie. That movie flowed effortlessly from one joke to the next. This one was tough to watch knowing I could have rewritten this myself taking the best moments and made a much better movie. The writing here is about as good as a typical Will Ferrel movie, which is painful.

January 23, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • ?

American PIE? Seriously? That's your idea of good comedy writing?

January 23, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marlon

-Your bueitufal image was SEEN IN/Sua imagem maravilhosa foi visto dentro:Thank you for sharing / obrigado compartilhando!______________________________________

February 13, 2012 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  47. Whatev

I saw this movie 4 times and would watch it again! I think every woman needs to watch this movie! I love this movie and think it's hillarious! I think it definitely deserves to be nominated for an oscar. And I think that Melissa McCarthy definitely deserves a nod!

January 23, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  48. DM

Really???? Nominated for best picture.....????

I don't think soooooooo.

A basic "B" or "C" movie that hit the right cord with some women........

But not even close to best picture status.......

January 23, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  49. PumpNDump

The ONLY time women are funny are when they are fat or fall down. I can count the truly funny women on 1 hand.

January 23, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • U.R.A Richard-Head

Don't count too hard. That hand must be pretty tired already.

January 24, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
    • McG

the original comment was fair. i cant name six living funny women if i tried

January 24, 2012 at 3:09 am | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Men's humor consists almost entirely of fart and rape jokes... women's humor has always been far more intelligent. If you don't get it, well, you're probably a man.

January 24, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • lola

AJ, if that were true, men would LOVE this movie, right? Or can you explain to me how ' Bridesmaids' is considered intelligent? The movie was meh in every way.

January 24, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  50. ondeck

If it does I will NEVER watch Oscars again.

January 23, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Leaf on the Wind

I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it all that much either. It had some really funny moments, but I would hate to see it get nominated for an award just because it portrays women as "just as raunchy as men." That gender crap shouldn't matter.

January 23, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Debbie

They got to be joking. I watched 20 minutes of this movie and it was 20 minutes of wasting my time.

January 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Filtered

A lot of people on this board didn't like it, so definitely sounds like it will be nominated for an Oscar. Isn't that how is always works?

January 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Jack

I friggin loved this movie and laughed my butt off. Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo should at least get nominated for writing. I mean come on, it's about time to see women being just as offensive and nasty as the guys in their humor. I hadn't laughed so much since Young Frankenstein.

January 23, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  55. letsgomets2012

I loved it!

How many of us who have been married and/or been in a wedding party have had bridesmaids that acted badly?? More often as not, this is the case.

Just try and get more than 2 people to agree on ONE DRESS to wear for the bridesmaids - it'll never happen. hehe

January 23, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Kenny

If this movie gets nominated for an Oscar for Best Picture, I will never again trust any kind of nomination they give. This movie was cute, at best, and remotely funny in parts, but there was NOTHING that was indicative of being worthy of the gold statuette. There are far better films that came out in the last year than this.

January 23, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  57. OvernOut

Just saw "The Artist", I think that's the film to beat.

January 23, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • OvernOut

...or is that the film that can't be beat? Anyway, Best Supporting Actor award should go to the little dog from "The Artist", he's a very good doggie! Yes he is!

January 23, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  58. AMR

I loved it. I actually went back a week later and saw it again. I recommended it to all of my friends who also loved it. Gosh, with the economy in the tanker, we need movies that will make us laugh and forget about our troubles for a little while. Why do the Oscar nods ever go to the depressing, melodramatic pieces that tear us up? I avoid them.

January 23, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Steven A.

Melissa was great, and Kristin is always wonderful, but the movie is not Oscar-worthy. Also, it would have been funnier without the gross raunchy humor. I guess that was throw in for the boyfriends in the theater.

January 23, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Chicago

What about 10 years worth of Harry Potter films! The biggest grossing films in history! Surely they deserved an Oscar mention!!!

January 23, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Seriously?

HAHAHAHAH Best Picture??!! Who wrote this article, Carson Daly?? You have to nominate Hangover II as well then, since it's the EXACT SAME MOVIE with dudes instead of chicks. Good call though, brah. You must have been super-bummed last year when "Get Him To The Greek" didn't take the Greatest Film of All Time Honorary Oscar. And @#$%, what about The Hottie And The Nottie, brah? What about THAT one??

January 23, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  62. InCo

Love Wiig, but anything that is even remotely attached to Apatow's name should be banned from the Academy Awards.

January 23, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  63. tracie

Another excuse to give a large woman an Oscar.

January 23, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • NanookoftheNorth

Yeah, that's what determines awards...the fat factor...NOT !
      Melissa McCarthy's work in films and on Mike & Molly is wonderful to see, 'bout time she gets some recognition 🙂
      (btw tracie, are you one of those pieces of skin on a walking stick ?)

January 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • large old woman

Are you calling Meryl Streep a large woman?? She's definately large in talent but even larger in her respect for her fellow actresses!!

January 24, 2012 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  64. InCo

Saw it. It was okay, not great, nothing to write home about and it certainly doesn't deserve a nomination. I'm sorry, Judd Apatow's (sp?) humor is a nice little diversion, but it's too crass for such a prestigious honor. Frankly, it wasn't even close to his best movie anyway, not that I think much of his films in the first place. I don't understand all the hubbub over the film – and this is coming from someone who absolutely adores Kristen Wiig, and has for years.

January 23, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Keith

I hope this movie doesn't get nominated. It was too long for what it was trying to.... And it was extremely smug...

January 23, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  66. ag

If this movie gets anywhere near an Oscar, the entire Oscar awards process will lose its credibility. I watched this movie on Blu-ray but after about half hour, I gave up. Returned without watching.

January 23, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  67. JD

This movie just plained sucked. No Oscars please!

January 23, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  68. rolando

If a movie like this was going to be nominated it would have been the hangover a few years ago. It was a far better movie

January 23, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Sid Vick

Funny movie...Yes!!
    Oscar Worthy...Now that's funny!!! The movie was a nice first film from an SNL star. But its just that

January 23, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Reality

"HIghest grossing r-rated female comedy"...how many have there been???

Silly movie. Hangover blows it out of the water, though. Definitely not Oscar worthy.

January 23, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  71. mary

THE PUKING SCENE IS THE ONLY FUNNY ONE IN THE WHOLE MOVIE!!!!!

January 23, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  72. be quiet

yeah, Melissa McCarthy's character took a dump in a sink...but there was so much more to her role than that. the scene where she convinces Wiig's character that she'll be her friend was some masterful acting, in my book. hope she is recognized tomorrow morning.

January 23, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Electric_Pink

I respect your opinion. However, I wouldn't call that scene with Melissa McCarthy masterful acting. Meryl Streep, Viola Davis, Cicely Tyson, Lily Taylor, Tilda Swinton, Angela Bassett, Helen Mirren, Ruby Dee, Glenn Close, Dame Judi Dench...now they are representative of masterful acting.

January 24, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • LJ

I thought that scene with Melissa McCarthy was not funny at all, she was wasted in this movie and Kristen Wiig is not funny at all, especially on SNL (well sometimes she's funny on SNL, but mostly not).

January 24, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  73. wlubake

I would have thought that Best Original Screenplay was its best chance at a nomination.

January 23, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Heisenberg

When Bridesmaids first came to theaters, there were rave reviews saying the movie was so funny. I watched it on dvd and wasn't all that funny. To say is Oscar worthy is grasping at straws.

January 23, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Big Nate

This was a funny movie. Maybe some people's sensibilities were upset because the characters were women not men. Oscar worthy–Melissa McCarthy, absolutely...and many supporting Oscars have gone to comedy actors. I'd rather have one great laugh than ponder a terrorist plot...don't we have enough of that in our daily lives?

January 23, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • not a bride or a maid

Exactly!! Why can't a comedy be nominated as well as a drama?? The academy should consider the film itself-not the content.

January 24, 2012 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  76. Chris

I haven't laughed so hard in years, but yeah – is it best picture worthy? Not really. But...don't you think Melissa McCarthy acted the crap out of that? (Pun intended). I thought she was hilarious, fresh, she created a character. I think she deserves the nod at least.

January 23, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Rod in Dallas TX

Definitely a nomination for Melissa McCarthy for Best Supporting Actress but not Best Picture.

January 23, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  78. sharon

I'm sorry, I thought it was very funny. The sad and futile friend who was going through a "coming of age" against that free spirited, sure of herself overweight woman just made me laugh!

January 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • AMR

Love your perspective of the two women. Never saw it that way, but yes, you make a very good point.

January 23, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Filtered

I think it is one of the funniest movie of all times.

January 23, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jacques

Sharon - never apologize!

January 23, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • sandra

Ditto, I loved this movie. And I couldn't care less if it gets an Oscar. I go to movies to be entertained and this was a very entertaining movie. If you went to see this movie hoping for some kind of intellectual enlightenment, well.... you clearly wasted your time and money.

January 24, 2012 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Electric_Pink

I like how the film showed that Annie, an attractive, slender woman who should have it all in our image-obsessed society, is in a downward spiral and makes poor choices that cause her to have to move in with her mother. Conversely, Megan is overweight and wouldn't be considered attractive by many in our society, but she has a high-ranking government job, six homes, and gets her guy in the end. And she overcame her high school horrors to emerge confident and allowed that pain to propel her forward. Megan is the one who gets Annie off her mother's sofa and stops the pity party. I also liked how the film made a point to show that Lillian has a black parent, which they didn't have to do.

January 24, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  79. You're kidding!

Unfunny dreck, with characters you'd just as soon see hit by a meteorite.

January 23, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Scheer

Am I the only one who only found certain portions of the movie to be funny? Melissa McCarthy's scenes were funny but...Kristen Wiig's storyline was sort of depressing.

January 23, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • DV

That was the point. Life can be depressing, especially when you see your best friend moving forward, and you're stuck in your own head.

January 23, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Booo

It was not that great. It was a cute movie. It definitely isn't Oscar quality.

January 23, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Snarky

As if the Oscars had any credibility left anyways.

January 23, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rye_

Meh. They've got more credibility than the Snarkys.

January 24, 2012 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Snarky

That's crazy. The Snarky Awards are so prestigious that they're never given out to anybody.

January 24, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  83. comeon

I no way should it be nominated for best picture. No way.

January 23, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eve

I agree completely! Parts were okay (certain actresses better than others) but overal it couldn't hold my attention. I (thankfully) I rented it from redbox.com for a $1 vs full ticket at the movie house. I think it is being pushed because its an all female cast (except for the one dude). Nothing more.

January 23, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Janie

Oscar nom worthy? No! way! Was cute movie but didn't think it was that funny. The Help should win an Oscar!

January 23, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • lipolady

are u kidding great picture great cast and know what IT MADE US LAUGH THAT'S WHAT WE ALL NEED FROM WHAT IS GOING ON IN THIS WORLD!!!!!! I hope it wins everything it should they deserve big time.

January 23, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • erzhik

Why should "The Help" win an Oscar? Just because that movie was about working black people? Don't kid yourself. The Help was a retarded movie.

January 24, 2012 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh Yes

The Help was a movie about a courageous white woman taking a stand during a difficult time and being a voice for the african american slaves. You need to have a chocolate pie served to you for thinking it was just about black people working!

January 24, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Electric_Pink

Erzhik, "The Help" focused on the relationships between black domestics and their white employers. It wasn't just a movie about working black people. While I don't believe the film itself should be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar, I do however feel that Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer turned in Oscar-worthy performances. This is not because they are black but because they are talented actors and owned their roles. Conversely, I hated the novel and am glad the director, who is a personal friend of the author, did a decent job of bringing the novel to the big screen.

January 24, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Electric_Pink

Oh Yes, your post is well-meaning but off the mark. While Skeeter Phelan (Emma Stone) was the principal character in the novel, Viola Davis playing Aibileen Clark in the film completely took over. People will not remember Emma Stone for "The Help", they will remember Davis and Octavia Spencer (as Minnie Jackson). I say this merely because Davis' and Spencer's performances were so strong that they easily overshadowed the rest of the cast. Bryce Dallas Howard gave a good turn as Hilly, too, and I love Allison Janney in anything. Also, the domestics in the novel and film weren't "slaves," as you say. You're getting your facts mixed up.

January 24, 2012 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • LJ

Melissa McCarthy was nominated for Best Supporting Actress and I love her! I don't think she'll win though, unfortunately. I also though The Help was pretty awful, but I love Emma Stone.

January 24, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |