May 18th, 2011

Train helps couples say 'Marry Me'

After Angela Ceravolo said “yes” to Jonathan Tremblay’s proposal, he only had one thing left to do: Thank the band Train for helping him out.

“Thank you guys for coming out here – this has been a dream come true for me,” he said through tears in Atlanta's CNN Center on Monday.

“You’re going to make me cry, man,” singer Pat Monahan said. “I can’t be doing that on CNN. I got a reputation to uphold.”

In all seriousness, Train has been making dreams like this come true ever since their song “Marry Me” came out in 2009. The band performs the tune acoustically at concerts and will often hear a small cheer during the song – the sound of another couple getting engaged to their music.

“I love stuff like this,” Monahan said. “Anything we can do to contribute to something positive on this planet.”

Train started bringing couples up on stage to propose and eventually decided to spread the joy a little bit wider. In Atlanta this week, they teamed up with the nationally syndicated "Bert Show" to surprise Ceravolo. This summer, they’ll pick a military couple from thousands of contest entries for an onstage, soulful proposal.

“Military families are, to me, a lot like what we do,” Monahan said. “You know, we’re away from our families all the time. Fortunately we don’t have to risk our lives like they do, but I figured this is one little thing that we do share with them.”

“Marry Me” was inspired by Monahan’s wife. He proposed to her in Italy as they were overlooking the Mediterranean.

“You know, men fall in love every 15 seconds… no wait, that’s think about sex,” Monahan joked. “I cried when I proposed to my wife, too. But my proposal was like ‘I want abaghagdagman…’ and she was like ‘What? What are you saying? Quit crying!’”

Train will begin their summer tour with Maroon 5 on July 22 in Houston, Texas. And their latest single, “Save me San Francisco,” is quickly rising on the charts.

“I had no idea it was going to get so big so fast,” Monahan said. “I should’ve known; we’re awesome.”

So awesome that they have a 100 percent winning streak when it comes to singing the national anthem at sports games – the home team always wins. It’s a streak they’re hoping to continue with the couples that get engaged to their song.

Ceravolo is ready to start the tally. “We will never break up,” she said, hugging her new fiancé tightly.

1. Tiffany Minton

My mom and her boyfriend Michael went to see the Train Maroon 5 concert in Virginia Beach on August 3rd (yesterday), and Michael proposed to mom during the song 'Marry Me'! This is what my mom told me: "Michael grabbed my hand and led me to where the lead singer was walking (she mentioned he was walking through the audience during the song or something), and I thought he wanted a better look. We both touched his arm while he was walking, then Michael got down on one knee and asked, "Would you marry me?" and I said, "Yes, I'll marry you!" " It was really awesome when I saw the ring on her finger. 'Train' is Michael's favorite band, and one of mom's favorite bands, and I thought it was a great idea to do that during the song. I can't wait for when they're married! They're such a good couple, and Michael is awesome. 😀

August 4, 2011 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. runmom

If they are that good with win percentage for the National Anthem, I'm going to contact Halas Hall and have them sing at every Bears home game! 🙂

May 19, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. steve

old fashioned? probably!
    but let's face it. men today for the most part want the easy way out and refuse to take responsibiity. they want the "honey" but refuse to build and nurture the "hive"! disgusting!

May 19, 2011 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. TBagURMom

like to take those "Fun Bags" for a ride

May 18, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. charlie crack

Good story ya'll! Nice to have positive for a change.

May 18, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Susan

Very cool move on Trains part. Good Luck to the couple.

May 18, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

Train is not cool and for liking them neither are you.

May 19, 2011 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
    • steve

Ian!

not cool? same thing your girlfriend says behind your back when she is "porking" your buds!

May 19, 2011 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. whatswrongwithpeople

Thanks to the First Amendment we can have people talk bad about something good in someone's life because their own life sucks so bad. Just because your life is so bad (due mostly on your own choices) don't try and bring down someone else.

May 18, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sackman

did you take a look at those melons?

May 18, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. wrenchinit

Yep, you danced to MARRY ME at your wedding...but hopefully you wont be fighting in court at the tune of DIVORCE ME! Hmmmmm..one can only wish that marriage was a fairytaleish as this article makes it sound. I had never heard of this train until now and could be because they dont get much marrying business?!?!?!? I personally think this train should mind their own business and not help with such a suppose to be lifelong commitment if they are not going to stand by them. This article makes me very nervous for some reason!

May 18, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. observer

The problem is she said yes to a military man. You know what they say temporary deployment means a lot of one night stands. Also for the military guy be prepared for the young military punk to hit on your new wife. I smell infidelity coming soon.

May 18, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. p1an3

good luck and how SWEET

May 18, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mpjoe13usa

God Bless our troops for all they do.... Train, thank you for that small gesture, America needs more supporters just like you... Soldiers and there families need all of our support... (Ret. Army SFC 2010 with 21 years of Service)

May 18, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ArmyWife2010

What a wonderful story to see something so sweet in the news! I think anybody that has something bad to say should really keep it to themselves, this is a great story!

May 18, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. joecool16280

Major points soldier!

May 18, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. butlerbulldawg74

Train is still around? Next thing you're going to tell me is Nickelback is touring again.

May 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Danielle

I am a musician myself and my boyfriend is in the military and plan to marry as well .and this is one of the reasons music is worth doing. I absolutely love this. I wish them all the happiness in the world and may God bless their union

May 18, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Colleen

Who is Train?

May 18, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ian

Send this train wreck to afghanistan. With a little luck that will be their last tour.

May 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  19. SoCalRose1

I am so touched! Not only is this adorable soldier a hero in my book, but I'm sure he's a BIG Hero to his beautiful new fiance and her family and friends!

May 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  20. TechTalkGuy

People propose all the time in Times Square on New Year's eve !!

May 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  21. CTremblay

That is so sweet!!! "Marry Me" is the song me and my husband danced to at our wedding!!

May 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  22. yikes

bahahahaha....Train is comparing a deployment to being on tour? How generous of them, that they can share that hardship with soldiers. I think there are a couple things missing on their (voluntary) tour...such as mortars, rockets, suicide bombers...

May 18, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fixer2010

Did you miss the part where he said that they weren't putting their lives in danger on tour? Not too mention that his biggest comparison was being away from family for an extended time. Try reading.

May 18, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

Military tour is voluntary too. I dont see any draft.

May 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • General Mayhem

These Train boys couldnt carry my jockstrap let alone fire a mortar. Oh sure they are great at eating their own doo doo. But this band is chock full of Puusssys, phagot, and boy butt humper.

May 19, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  23. wrenchinit

Personally, I hope that are not traveling the world MARRYING just any two people together. They should require some type of screening before they endorse these marriages. Just sayin' – particularly with the divorce rate and all. Here comes the wrench in it....NOW TELL ME, what is going to happen when two gays want to get married? That might take the choo choo right out of their engine. They also need to make full circle and come back through as the divorce train for the very same people they are marrying. Just sayin'

May 18, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  24. gem

How romantic!!! Way to go trai. Keep up the good work, its not easy to listen to songs that make our hearts soar and dream a little in a harsh world. Thanks.

May 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Andrea M

Mmm, radio friendly pop proposal in public. I'll stick with what I got, at home, no music, I don't even remember if he got down on one knee, lol. No pomp, no public display of tears, just a simple real question and a simple real answer.

May 18, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Killapm

Wow yea, sounds fantastic. I hope he at least sprang for imported beer and cleaned up the meth lab prior to your soul-wrenching proposal. I cant imagine the effort he must put into your daily lives.

May 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  26. JACKSON

Hey..it's cool...that's all..and there is nothing wrong with that!! Beats the hell outa all the problems at home and around the world that we would read about. Love and music...a beautiful combination...nuff said!

May 18, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  27. joe08

that made me smile real big!

May 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Grondahl

The ideal proposal song: "Walk With Me In Hell" by Lamb of God. Because IT'S TRUE. And, metal.

May 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dani

Metal? That is what you consider "music". Anyone can screech incoherently into a microphone; it doesn't make it music. Also, why stayed married if it is in fact "hell" for you? That is just complete stupidity.

May 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grondahl

If your marriage doesn't feel like hell on occasion, you're probably doing it wrong. Regardless, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree in this thread by spreading the gospel of metal. If you can't recognize that metal is more than just, as you say, "screeching incoherently", I won't be able to convince you that secretary rock (like Train) isn't worth the air space it inhabits.

May 18, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Phil

Their next song should be called "I Wish I Had Known"

May 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |