Avril Lavigne: I'm a little old-fashioned
October 13th, 2010

Avril Lavigne: I'm a little old-fashioned

When it comes to bringing the sexy, there are two things a woman needs, according to Avril Lavigne: "Attitude and confidence," as she told Maxim magazine for their November issue.

The 26-year-old singer is gracing Maxim's cover for a third time, and a lot has changed since she first posed for the publication when she was just 19.

“I’m older and more comfortable with my femininity. The first time I was about 19 and was very nervous. I was more of a tomboy, I guess,” Lavigne said.

Her style sensibility isn’t the only thing that’s morphed. After hits like “Sk8er Boi” and “Complicated,” the singer says she’s ready to produce an album that isn’t totally about boys.

“This album is the first that is not boy-bashing,” she told Maxim with a laugh, but admitted that she’ll definitely draw from personal experiences. “I have officially just wrapped the album. I’ve been working on it for about two and a half years. I’ve lived a lot, gone through a lot, and put a lot into my songwriting. These songs are very meaningful to me.”

As for other star songstresses who are dominating the charts like Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Ke$ha, Lavigne told the magazine that “it’s an interesting period in music right now” that’s fueled by a lot of ‘80s inspiration.

“A lot of girls are really into their image and costumes and going over the top,” she said, but added that Ke$ha is a favorite. “Her songs are fun to party to and her lyrics are hilarious.”

Ke$ha may be on her party playlist, but you’ll have a hard time catching Lavigne going hard in Hollywood, an environment that she thinks might’ve led to the downfall of a few other famous names.

“I got here on my own. I came from a small town and grew up in a regular home. I know what I’ve worked hard for,” Lavigne said. “I’ve seen a lot of people who have gone a little crazy and who are really into the Hollywood scene. I don’t really like to hang out with people like that.”

So who is she interested in hanging around? Lavigne, who filed for divorce from musician Deryck Whibley last October, wasn’t shy about spilling what she’s looking for a man.

“I like a classy man, a gentleman who opens the door and gives flowers and always puts the lady first,” she said. “I’m a little old-fashioned like that.”

Check out the full interview with Avril Lavigne in the November issue of Maxim, on sale October 12.

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. xn--7ckep0ip04trqf.net

S3EwS[Ic, xn--7ckep0ip04trqf.net, chat, http://xn--7ckep0ip04trqf.net/e-shot/reputation.html

April 25, 2013 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. Robin

Who ever said Lady Gaga is more talented than Avril Lavigne has no idea about music. Avril can sing live, write songs, play guitar and piano. Gaga on the other site is one of the most talentless people in the world.

October 25, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lol

Frank Avril is actually pretty talented. Whether her or gaga is more talented..idk. but Avril can do more than just sing and play the guitar. She is involved with every aspect lately of her albums. She plays the piano live as well.. so it's not just a guitar she will play live. And for image. I like Avrils. Gaga's was ok but it kinda gets old really quick its funny how people love things she'll say and do but would hate it if anyone else did it. I think that's what my quick fascination by gaga wore out. But i am still very fascinated by Avril, lol

October 24, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Frank

That was all supposed to be just one comment but I forgot that 'sp!c' is a 'no-no' word on this damn blog.

October 21, 2010 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. Frank

Avril's okay but has nowhere near the talent that Gaga has. If she has, she hasn't revealed it to us! She can sing and can play guitar okay but her image is totally contrived! I loved her when she first came out but I grew out of her. I put in her in the same category of what the Sp!ce Girls and *NSYNC were to me. I still like them, too, but for n0stalgia reasons.

October 21, 2010 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. Frank

Lady Gaga spent years forming herself and working behind the scenes with other artists. She is so big because she knows how to market herself. She is f-ing the industry!

October 21, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. Frank

Comparing Lady Gaga to Avril? Oh, no no no no. Lady Gaga is a classically trained musician, a songwriter, has a great voice, a producer and a talented visual artist. And I don't know where people are getting that she's so ugly. Why do we always feel the need to tear people down because of their looks? To me, that is just externally projected insecurity for those with nothing else to say. Would you prefer it if she had major plastic surgery and was totally fake? What sort of example would that be setting?

October 21, 2010 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. Tash

Look what the magazine did to Avril's left arm :L

Avril is amazing; she writes all her music, beautifully and her music is not for 12 year olds- shehas loads of older fans (including myself). She has a gorgeous voice and is extremely talented.

October 16, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. meka

AVRIL LAVIGNE IS AWESOME! Her music is awesome:) she's just... more confident and mature now.

October 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Pablo

Katy Perry is kool and so is ke$ha ! but LADY GAGA does have alot of talent she doesnt get told wat to do and wat to wear so LADY GAGA is better and katy perry well just her hair i guess luks nice about her and ke$ha ummm shes well um just a noob i guess!!! xD lol

October 15, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  11. Me

I find Avril Lavigne simply adorable, there is just something about her that I love. From her tomboy roots to a young woman I have found her to be irresistible. Her second album Under My Skin is one of my all time favorites, I play it right along with my classic rock albums of the last three to four decades. I hope her new album is more back to the roots of her first two albums, I can't wait to she her make a comeback.

October 14, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. farah

i love avril so mush ,im from syria and all my friends love her boys and girls cz shes rock

October 14, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. V

Avril is a total poser! She was discovered at a Shania Twain concert and is just another product of the recording industry. She sucks, is not a punk or rocker chick and i hope just fades into obscurity! (along wither her terrible fashion line!)

October 14, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. duh

Get a life. This is an advertisement for a lousy album and a magazine. The chick is hot., no doubt about that. But just like Ke$ha, ga ga and the rest, they have very little talent. They continue to do to music, what you do to bathroom tissue.

October 14, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. WhiteKong78

Every time a celebrity opens their mouth I wish they hadn't.

October 14, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  16. WhiteKong78

I personally don't think Ke$ha is talented at all and a shower could do her some good. For every "boy" that deserves to be bashed there is a girl who behaves just as badly. Just my opinion.

October 14, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  17. hatesKCV

U make me sick KVC. MAYBE U SHOULD GET A LIFE AND LISTEN 2 HER MUSIC. YEAH WHEN I FIRST SAW HER I THOUGHT SHE WAS TRASHY BUT SHE HAS DEFF CHANGED HER APPERENCE. SHE HAS A GREAT VOICE AND SHE LOOKS GOOD!! GO GET A LIFE

October 14, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  18. music

I bought Avrils 1st cd heard it once and it wound up as a disc in the wall. made a great frisbee.

October 14, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  19. KCV

I find it funny that she wants a "classy man"! Obviously this "classy man" is into "classless women" if he would want Avril. Nothing against her, but all I've seen is a vile, filthy, spit loving, attention seeker!

October 14, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  20. kMarie

I will make this simple for you people to understand it. Lady Gaga- a talentless, desperate, gross, ugly ho.
    Avril- a talented, pretty, smart, wonderful song making woman.

October 14, 2010 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  21. Friction

Avaril has the only real talent out there. Lady gaga . . . . Please! Todays music is so watered down with has been hits and already written rythms and synthetic beats that are familiar to the ear. Atleast Avaril makes her own music. Anyone can sing! Shes the real deal! Music today sucks!!!

October 14, 2010 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  22. tgc

"Be nice to gays, but not to vegans"? Really?

Anyway, Avril's hot and CAN sing! I'm glad she's not another Britney, Christina, Ladt Gaga, etc... We need more singers like her. If I had to choose a night with her or a night with Britney or Gaga, it'd be a Avril hands down!

October 14, 2010 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
  23. Kim

hey please just STOP you know before everyone liked her songs and now to and have win many awards remember.....but why make bad comment on Avril what she have done to you that you're saying " she is bad , ugly or not talenled not have good songs or she is a trash* you know i don't like lady gaga but i'm not going to post on every blog and bashing her that Lady gaga don't have good music..

October 14, 2010 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  24. Andy mo

Im just saying she is the best girl in Hollywood just bec you don't hear her name 24 7 like you do with every one els she cute if some one or any one treat a girl like this bad is nuts i like some of her songs but she like every one els she seams cool and she was better as a tom boy i think lol i can't wait tell one day i can meat her it be cool lol

October 14, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  25. D

I have a detachable one

October 14, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  26. Frank

No one said you had a penis. But if you secretly do, don't be ashamed.

October 14, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  27. ashleee

I dont have a man part

October 14, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  28. ashleee

I dont have a penis

October 14, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  29. mona

Very talented and straight out music one thing avril has her look has changed her image and during time can become one of the best @

October 14, 2010 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  30. ashleee

I think gaga is a very tallented. Person but needs to respect the code. 1. Meat should never ever be worn in public. 2. Bedazzled lobsters should never be worn as haae orniment. 3. Always wear underwear. Lady gaga respect the gays but not the vegans

October 14, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  31. stu

she's trash!

October 14, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  32. ashleee

Ahhhhh gotme with the skin flute

October 14, 2010 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  33. justa woman

Avril. She has always seemed to be TRYING to portray herself as one way or another. (Keyword:trying) I get that most artists have a public image to maintain. Just wish there were more authentic.talented.down to earth artists out there. who will leave us wanting more, instead of feeding us too much garbage. Blah.blah.blah.

October 14, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  34. Joe

Um, if you guys "hate" her so much why are you reading an article about her? Silly troll....

October 13, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  35. amanda H

Never have liked her..she calims to be punk but has no clue who Sid Vicious is. I thought it was bad enough that she didn't know how to pronounce David Bowie's name. But anbody that is punk knows the Sid and Nancy story. She needs to leafn to stick to things she knows about..

October 13, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

In her defense, her handlers most likely told her to say she was into punk rock. At least I think she said it. It was awhile ago and I don't really remember. Lol. The media mostly pinned her with that label. So blame the journalists.

October 14, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  36. sheena

Avril used to be different. Now she's like everyone else. And before she was so against being like everyone else. She gave my generation hope for difference. But now what's there to show for. Pink hair and a more poppy album. I want the girl that was afriad of the views of others.

October 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  37. feesh

I doubt the album will do well, it seems like Avril's time has come and gone... And Lady Gaga is talented... She convinced me of this when I saw a yotube clip of her, in pre-fame days, singing Kashmir by Led Zeppelin at a bar. It was awesome. She has actual talent...

October 13, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  38. OneNikolai ™

I pray to Avril my soul to keep ..

October 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  39. skeem

Wow so many haters!! Jealouse cuz u got no talent why don't u stop hatin & judgin! Let the girl do her thing u don't gotta look at the magazine

October 13, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Adam Lambertisaphony

She's got plenty of talent in those cans of hers.

October 13, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  41. disgraced

her songs are annoying, they serve no meaning. to try and compare her to anything punkrock is insulting to punkrockers everywhere. i agree though, she is pretty, but the last thing we need is another pretty face with no talent wasting space on magazine covers. Please save the covers for pretty people WITH talent.

October 13, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Kimmi

She's dating Brody Jenner. Seriously, how "edgy " could she actually be?

October 13, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  43. minka gnowles

Avril is insincere, and desperate, no different than all of the money-mongering, attention-seeking, power hunger generation "NOTHING" acts that are out there. It is down-right depressing that people such as Avril, now 27 years old, feel compelled to bare their bodies in order to stay in the game. Stay home. You got lucky, you got yer cash, stay home, please. So much better for the youth of today- Its not like she's very talented anyway.

October 13, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Ineedacoke

Say what you want but I feel bad for the gal. Its hard enough to meet someone descent when you're just a regular person. I couldn't imagine the isolation that comes along with being under a magnifying glass all the time. With all of the people out there who falsely enter relationships with alterior motives (i.e. ambitions of money, status, power, etc.) it has to be pretty disheartening to be "old fashioned" and still have to question the sincerity of every single person you meet!

October 13, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Michael edington

Avril lavigne needs a life. I never understood what it's about young punk sings wanting to try what other people do I used to like her but now I don't understand her.

October 13, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Vixen Blue

OMG to the person who tlked about brody dalle ha yeah shes so bloody punk rock!! Love her! As for Avril ugh ive always disliked that poser! – Vixen Blue

October 13, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Hempman

Talented female musician? LIITA FORD!!!

October 13, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Frank

S#xiest bad girl? Please! Ever heard of Brody Dalle? She's married and a mom now so she's a bad woman! Lol.

October 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Frank

Although she is an industry creation, she can sing and has a few good tunes (her second album was good as far as Pop Rock goes), so I have hope for her. She just needs to stay away from Paris Hilton and Courtney Love.

October 13, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Shawn

I agree about hotter with time. Women are finer and better with age like wine and champagne. I'm surprised PETA didn't crucify Gaga about the meat dress. I'm a meat eater and that was rather disgusting.

October 13, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Mr Glen

WOW! a young woamn who actually has some talent–she makes gaga and katy perry look like the hacks they are

October 13, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Take Gaga out of that statement and it's totally correct. In fact, Lady Gaga is more talented than Avril. Lol.

October 13, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • lapadite

Except LADY GAGA is an EXCEPTIONAL talent: at singing, musical instrument playing, creative direction, design, production, and songwriting (<though this is debatable of course.)

you ignorance is too much! LOL!

October 13, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

LADY GAGA IS REAL GOOD AT THE SKIN FLUTE THE ONLY INSTRUMENT SHE CAN PLAY

October 13, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Almost

That would have almost been funny, if it were remotely accurate.

October 13, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeannette

You obviously haven't listened to any of the songs that these "artists" put out. Avril's music is great "punk rock" (if it can even be lightly called that) for 12 year olds. Katy Perry-I don't know what her deal is, she's a cheap knockoff and her songs suck. Kesha (no I'm not going to spell it with the damn dollar sign) is a wanna be rocker wearing ripped up American Eagle. Gaga is the only one with real talent and artistic inspiration. She writes her own songs, makes her own clothes, she is completely involved with everything she does. She isn't pushed around by her managers and told who she can be and what she can do. If people really listened to music and look for the deeper meaning in songs then they would understand that 99.9 percent of artists today sing songs about the same BS-whatever tweens and teenagers would find cool. Blonde bimbos in the pop industry singing songs (that they didn't write) about boys and partying is just as overdone and boring as rappers making songs about women and cars.

October 14, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  52. LuisC

Avril has only gotten hotter with time... She is drop dead gorgeous.

October 13, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |