Adam Lambert will tone it down for Malaysian concert
October 12th, 2010

Adam Lambert will tone it down for Malaysian concert

He may have shocked the United States with his same-sex kiss on last year's American Music Awards, but Adam Lambert has vowed to tone it down for his upcoming performance in Malaysia.

The Pan Malaysian Islamic Party has reportedly expressed fears that Lambert's show would promote "gay culture" in the predominantly Muslim country, where homosexual activity is illegal, according to the UK's Guardian newspaper.

As a result, the openly gay "American Idol" runner-up Lambert, 28, will make a few alterations at his Kuala Lumpur concert – but he isn't necessarily happy about it.

"While I don't believe that my glamnation tour is in any way offensive I have agreed to make a few minor adjustments out of respect for the Malaysian government. Looking forward to a fun show," the flamboyant entertainer tweeted.

"Does my show 'promote the gay lifestyle'?" he continued. "It promotes living ANY lifestyle that includes the freedom to seek love and intimacy. Gay, straight, bi, young or old. It's all inclusive."

Plus, Lambert added, " What's THE gay lifestyle? There isn't just one. There are so many different kinds of gay people. We have a variety of different lifestyles. There's not only one lifestyle lived by straight folks. Generalizing...."

Post by:
Filed under: Adam Lambert • Music

1. CrystalM

You people (i.e Bruce Springsteen and his band of half-wits ) are the exact reason people like Tyler Clementi end their lives. They live in a society with people like you. Nothing in this world is more dangerous than a person with a closed mind. This is exactly what it creates. It is 2010! Time to get over all this hatred toward your fellow man for simply having a different opinion than you do. Time to get over feeling surperior. Things have changed. Times are diofferent. Such is life. Without that change where would we be as a society, and as individuals? Adam Lambert represents freedom, freedom to tap into who you truly are and to turn and face the world without fear. That is the single toughest thing in this world to accomplish as a human being. Fearlessness. He owns who he is. It is better to live like that, than to live the way people like Bruce Springsteen do. Allowing others to make their minds up for them. Allowing society to dictate their beliefs. Time to wake up and get over yourselves. He kisses boys. Big damn deal. So do I. You gonna hang me for that? I would love to see you try:)

October 13, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. CrystalM

October 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mrdoc

They gave us culture- art- we gave them.. Adam Lambert and McDonalds.. no wonder we are so universally hated.

October 13, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. KS

So my question is this, why would an openly gay "artist" choose to perform in a country where his lifestyle is illegal??

October 13, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. Boscobear

Live my chosen lifestyle or take the $$ and run? Which one do I choose?

October 13, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. Lisa

Who Cares!

October 13, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. Darth Vader

There was a man I who came to prominence in the 1970's, that this man reminds me a lot of. His name was Vincent Furnier. He's quite famous.

October 13, 2010 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. God

There was a man I created, who came to prominence in the 1970's, that this man reminds me a lot of. His name was Vincent Furnier. He's quite famous.

October 13, 2010 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. Johanne

I saw Adam's Concert here in Québec, Canada not toned down and nothing was really offensive as a kiss is just a kiss, straight or gay. Near 70,000 people attended including familiies with kids of all ages as it was part of an Air Balloon Festival and it was a huge success and did not see any bad comments anywhere. The concert was fabulous and Adam singing live is even better than recorded. If some people think that they will be offended, its very simple DO NOT ATTEND the concert and let the ones that will not attend.

People will not become gay because it is no longer illegal and gay people will remain gay even if it is illegal and it is not like the measles... you cannot catch it.

October 12, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Frank

Who the hell was shocked by his performance? Some people in the Bible Belt? Seriously, this has been done decades before. Sometimes I'm ashamed to be American.
    And his music is just not that good. I couldn't even get through one song. BORING.

October 12, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Youarebetterer

Glad to see at last there's an article about adam, but should have said something about his 70+ GlamNation concert tours this summer all sold out and cheered by enthusiastic crowds from all over the US, or about the miracle he works by inspiring people and making them feel energized and happier with themselves and yes that there is some beauty and hope and friendliness to go round!

October 12, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. TonyC

Leave the guy alone,he is not pretending to be something he is not(like sooo many other artists),he is not hurting anyone.
    I am as straight as as you can be,but I have gay friends and I hve no hatred towards people different than me.And (Marnie) Elton John just happens to be one of the most sucessful artists of all time....so apparently most of the world doesn't share your views!

October 12, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. cant read

U SHOULD HAVE WON IDOL AND U A GOOD ARTIST. AND RESPECTFUL OF OTHER COUNTRIES' BELIEFS. GO MAN. KEEP ON. AND I LOVE THAT MADWORLD SONG U DID TOO

October 12, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kelly

Artists should be able to do what they want on stage – even do a bad Boy George imitation, if they want.

October 12, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lisa

Adam is so good looking,Oh if he just wasen't so Gay. Love his eyes.

October 12, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  16. james

Dont sell out Adam...skip Malaysia.

October 12, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • God

Adam sold out already. He does this for the money, not that there is anything wrong with wanting to make a living at doing what you want to do or have to do.

Being who I am, however, I can tell you that Adam is not my most talented creation.

That belongs to someone you have ignored for his entire life.

October 13, 2010 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  17. Olivia

Oh, please. He's doing it for the money. Does he worry about offending Mormans in Utah or Baptists in Alabama? No, because he won't get arrested.

October 12, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  18. suzi stars n peace

I respect adam lambert so much for being brave enough to be himself and be inspirational. Bcuz there are so many people out there who try to act straight and really arent. I know they do it out of fear but i cant tell u how many people i know try to do drugs or drink bcuz they r afraid to love themselves for who they really r. Aint nothing wrong with being gay aint nothing wrong with being a straight aint nothing wrong with being a tree aint nothing wrong with being a flower aint nothing wrong with being a piranha. Be who u r. I know so many gays and lesbians that get married and try to have kids so they look straight to the outside world. If u feel somebodys orientations ur business to talk about then i say get educated and get a life cuz u obviously r wasting the one u got.

October 12, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Monday

So awesome :). Very true about "generalizing" the gay lifestyle.. Because, well, there isn't one. Heh. Just like there isn't one straight lifestyle :3.
    Though, I give major kudos to Lambert for wanting to make some changes to his show out of respect. Not to many entertainers would actually do that...

October 12, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Marnie

Yes, he is being respectful. And also avoiding getting arrested...

October 12, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Tom, Long Beach, California

MAN GAGA

October 12, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  22. lori

I saw Adam when he was in DC this past Summer and it was a fantastic show!!! Let's focus on how dynamic a performer Adam is and what incredible tallent he posseses. This is coming from a female Baptist Minister and University voice teacher. Adam doesn't just "belong" to some, he is loved by such a diverse community! Let's celebrate that!

October 12, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  23. bumble

Oh yay. Another Boy Geroge.

October 12, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Arthur A. Cevallos

I don't judge the man I judge the music. The music is excellent. I enjoy Adam Lambert for his excellent music.

October 12, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |