Thank Bieber's success for 'Idol' age change
July 21st, 2010

Thank Bieber's success for 'Idol' age change

Even "American Idol" isn't immune to Bieber fever.

Judge Randy Jackson told MTV News that the incredible success of the 16-year-old singing sensation is one of the reasons the TV talent contest has lowered its minimum age requirement from 16 to 15 years of age.

"You're seeing stars like Justin Bieber," said 54-year-old Jackson, who kicked off season 10 auditions in Nashville last week. "There's a lot of kids that are getting better earlier. It's great."

Fellow judge Kara DioGuardi, 39, added that they're not merely trying to find a Bieber knockoff.

"It could be a kid who's really young, who didn't even know he was that talented," she said, "or it could be someone that's a little bit older that, for whatever reason, it hasn't worked out yet."

"Ultimately," Jackson said, "It's about finding those great ones."

1. Kate

it's good to know that now our TV viewing is being taken over by a 16 year old boy with the voice of a girl. It's a frightening reality.

July 30, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. blon

why is this chick talking about brunettes being dumb on alot of these boards, I do agree with her.

July 22, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. tony

Who cares? So tween girls like him.....enjoy your 15 minutes sucker.....,.

July 21, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Disgusted

The kid can play the drums that is it. It is disgusting that they are making him out as a star. Nothing like the 70 idols,
    Osmonds, Jackson 5 even the Partridge Family is better than this kid. American Idol is just trying to make alot of money in a short period of time because no one is going to know who this kid is in 10 years.

July 21, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ryebread123

Justin Bieber is a very talented individual... so are a lot of people, young people especially. He really is a good kid, just struck by the fame so fast, it happened to him in about 1 year. He was discovered on you tube... that's what the internet can do. Justin's music relates to people at a young age, about all of the changes we're going through, like falling in love... just more than once. I think he's still getting used to the fame, I would be if i got discovered... I am a fellow singer songwriter too. Check out my you tube videos... I will put one up of me singing "Baby Girl" by Sugarland. I hope you guys like it. But Justin was just like me once... posting videos on you tube.

July 21, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. IdolSux

Can we all please let American just die! If there was ever a show that needed to just go away, Idol is it. Idol is what all the physcologist mean when they say TV will rot your brain, its true trash.

July 21, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mr.Speed

Hey Justin...

2 words for ya: Leif Garrett.
    Now I know that is WELL before your time but look at what fame at an early age did to him.
    Wow. Good luck kid, hope you make better choices.

July 21, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Odalice yolanda Feliz

The boy has talent big F**ng deal, he also needs a haircut, 2 many slit end!

July 21, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sarah

he is hot

July 21, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. BB

Okay, so for once a Bieber article is rather relevant. It's an upgrade from "Bieber spotted with Kardashian sipping apple juice."

Be careful with young people like JB. When you're young you do a lot of things because you don't know any better... and sometimes if you're not careful all that fame catches up to you. I may not know much since I'm not in the business, but looking at some of those stories you see of other young celebs grown up, you can't help but wonder what will become of them in a couple of years...

July 21, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • SuperPortalPunk

Yeah, look what happend to LindsLo, she was a dimpled faced little red-head, then she grew up into a super hot blonde with a serious bod!

July 21, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. SuperPortalPunk

Yes, I think he is very talent and mature for his age. They had a special on how he came to fame on one of the Cable Entertainment Channels this weekend and it was very interesting. He was also great on SNL earlier this year. I hope he does well in the future and even it he burns and is a one summer wonder, then what a cool experience to have as a 15 year old, beats the heck out of summer camp.

July 21, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • trix are for kids

I am not sold on him yet. I actually believe Greyson Chance is better. It's rather convenient to be leaning back on a talented individual as Usher is, wouldn't you say?

In response to your comment on the other board, enjoy your youth while you still have it, that's all I can say... and stay away from my 60+ year old mom.

July 21, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superportalpunk

I think these room for more than one and it's not always talent. You have to say both N'sync and BackStreetBoys both had there times in the spotlight, and even though Timberlake is the only true star to come from that group, you have to admit that it would be a pretty cool life to lead. I'm rooting for both of them, but Greyson's not on the blog today.

July 21, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SuperPortalPunk

First to comment. YEA!!!!

July 21, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |