May 26th, 2010

'Too Fat for 15' headed to Style Network

The Style Network has given the green light to a new docu-series about the battle obese teens face when trying to drop the weight, according to THR.

The program, titled, "Too Fat for 15: Fighting Back," will follow the lives of four teenagers and one preteen as they attend Wellspring University, a weight-loss boarding school in North Carolina. The series was inspired by an earlier documentary that examined a British teen’s experience at the school.

Style Network President Salaam Coleman Smith told THR that the show will capture the “epic struggle of a courageous group of obese teens trying to lose weight… Their life-changing mental and physical transformation is must-see television that puts a real face on the obesity epidemic threatening our young people.”

You can catch the series on the network beginning in August.

Filed under: television

1. john

i have battled being overweight most of my life. i do agree with the people who say that eating right and exercising are the only ways to lose the weight. there are exceptions of course for people with certain injuries or certain medical problems. however the vast majority people have only their selves to blame, i was one of them. but i went on mainly a raw food diet , got a concept 2 rower and literally rowed my but off.
    you just have to watch the biggest loser. proper diet and working out will cause a weight loss.

August 9, 2010 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. Interesting

Yes let us put obese teens on TV to make the networks some more money. They will say oh no no it is to help the teens, that is BS it is all about the almighty dollar.

May 27, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • tik

Funny you should say that, because the fast food chains and fructose lobbyists are making sure that Americans (esp kids and teens) stay fat, but putting them on TV to help them figure out how to eat healthier and exercise the correct way is just a money making gimich? It's no different than people who try out for Biggest Loser. At least they are trying to change their lifestyle instead of waiting to die from heart problems, diabetes or other diseases linked with obesity.

Do some research and you'll notice that the U.S. has the highest number of obese people in the entire world. Other countries just laugh at our obese people...and so do I because it's disgusting that people don't take the time to educate themselves on the foods they eat and keep shoveling calorie after calorie of food that is as nutritional as eating a pound of lard. Get over yourself!

May 27, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Benyo

BMI is notoriously inaccurate for recording health. It's better to measure what people's body fat percentage is. For example, you could have a BMI of 27 and technically be obese, but if your body fat percentage is less than 15%, then you are fine. People should also focus on losing fat, rather than weight because losing weight entails losing muscle and that is not usually desirable. Not all fat is unhealthy: we require a fat around our organs in order to remain healthy. Having a high body fat percentage is unhealthy, however. Having an extremely low body fat percentage is, likewise, unhealthy.

May 27, 2010 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kathy

Yes, parents are largely (poor word choice) responsible for their chillds obesity. Is it nurture or nature? Do you ever see skinny or average sized parents with obese children – not usually. Obese parents have obese children. I don't believe genetics plays much of a role. Look around at the lunch cafeteria, sandwich shop, fast food restaurant and see who eats what. It explains why obesity runs rampant in the US.

May 26, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kelly

I think that these "teens" should be praised. They are going about their weight lose the right and healthy way. No fasting, no extreme dieting, they are learning from professionals and changing their life and the way they feel about food. Lets face it, they are 15 and some are younger, but they don't have jobs or license's to drive; so how are they getting this food? Who is providing these meals to these teens that are slowly but surely killing them.
    More and more teens are developing eating disorders, heart disease, diabetes, etc. The families are than having these TEENAGERS go through gastirc bypass surgries or lap band surgeries or extreme diets to try and "fix" the problem. The problem is the life style that the family is providing to these teens. It's insane what people will put into their bodies and call it "food." What happened to fruits and veggies, chicken and fish? People need to learn how to cook again and get off the drive through diet.
    When this show airs, these teens will be so embarrased to see what they actually look like they will never want to be that way again. Sometimes all it takes is a picture or a video to show someone the truth. Hopefully the parents will learn something as well, cause the are the enablers to their teens weight problem.

May 26, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ruffnutt

i wonder how fat these fatties will be in ten years..

May 26, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Navy07

Wow really? Way to jump to conclusions you jerk. You have no idea what the possible outcome might be for these teens. You're so quick to judge and name call. I guess you must be perfect though with no flaws and a perfect body. Get over yourself and try to leave a more intelligent comment next time.

May 26, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

They may lose weight and gain it back, but you will obviously always be a jerk.

May 26, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. HB

Why not look at a HUGE part of the actual issue at hand...when did we start letting kids eat whatever they wanted, rather than helping them to make healthy, good tasting choices? Where on earth are the parents? Who dictates what is acceptable for one vs. another...it's not all about health, it's about no one taking care of our children any more. 'No, I don't like that' for something they've never even tasted? When did that become okay? Something is terribly wrong when a child won't eat good food until it's put into a McDonald's container. Parents, start looking at yourselves for the things your child is dealing with...it is not someone else' job...it's your turn to say to your child 'try it...if you truly don't like it, okay, but you don't know until you try it.' And if they don't like it now, make them try again in a year or two...tastes really do change, and if you aren't making them try things, they will never know what is good, what they like, and what they are missing!

May 26, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • sa

Hey, it's not always about eating or their diet. How much you eat, what you eat, etc. Quite often children are genetically obese and it's unfair to blindly put all the blame on parents. And when obese children eat lots it's not neccessarily because their parent don't care and that's why they eat. it may well be comfort eating or and effect of stress or depression they might be undergoing because of their obesity and being different to the other children at school. Your comment, although I do know where it's coming from, is highly biased and you fail to be open-minded and step back to look at surrounding reasons and effects.

May 26, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • kat mitchell

@sa
      I understand your point, however, the parents need to manage it. Everyone is different, I have three sons my oldest and youngest sons are both slightly underweight–I can't keep weight on them. My middle son however is heavy, he is not over weight, but he is close eating the exact same food his brothers eat. But I do not keep junk food in our home and we get fast food only as an occasional treat, so he is never going to be able to become morbidly obese while living in my home. I am not a heath food nut either, but we eat a balanced diet. The parents are indeed to blame for obese children, the provide the food to the children. This stuff about "my kid doesn't like vegatables" is because the parents didn't give it to them, they gave them junk food.

May 27, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. Turtul

I'm about 5'3 and weigh 195lbs. I am about 70 pounds overweight and I agree 100% with Why?.

It is entirely my fault that I am the way that I am due to what I eat and my lack of physical activity. I've tried many "get slim quick" diets, only to fail and gain even more. I do not have a thyroid problem or any other imbalance that would excuse my being obese. Losing weight by eating healthy and exercising is the only thing I can do now, and I will do it because I am tired of being unhappy and unhealthy.

I very much believe that the American population is overly sensitive. We constantly point fingers at other people or outside influences in an attempt to explain our own irresponsibility. For my fellow overweight/obese cohorts, step up to the plate and accept that you let yourself get out of control. You guys know what you need to do, so just do it. Stop blaming everything on your family, your job, your sleep schedule, people like Why?, and your medical issues for why you don't have time to get healthy. Make it your #1 priority. Make YOU your #1 priority. There's no point in saying that "your family is your priority" when you are slowly shaving off years that you could be spending with them.

I don't understand how folks in AA can take the first step and admit that they have a problem, but food-addicts (which is what we are) cannot and should not be encouraged to take responsibility. Come on guys. It's okay to admit that you have a problem. Once you do, then you can take the steps towards fixing it. It's a harsh kick in the pants when you realize that you're slowly killing yourself with food, but you can and will stop it. I, for one, believe in you. So get moving!

May 26, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why?

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!! And I mean it. It's not easy but you bring up many valid points. I also fight with my weight after back surgeries and shoulder injuries. My weight caused asthma and high blood pressure. I had to start watching what I eat so I could go out and do stuff I wanted to do. I lost 35 lbs, a little at a time. If you want to lose it, you will, it's not easy but what in life really is that worth it? If you go to a gym, and need help, do not feel afraid to ask for it. People believe others at the gym stare and make fun of heavier people, we don’t. Ask for assistance, we will help. And to Seriously? Calling them fat, is that necessary? Over weight yes, but fat, have some feelings!

May 26, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Discipline

Let me tell you from personal experience that losing weight is a matter of taking control and staying focused and disciplined. About a year ago I weighed about 250 lbs with about 14% body fat at 6 foot 1 (I am a male and was 30 years old at the time). I realized that if I wanted to lose weight and feel good about myself, I had to take control and make some "hard" choices. I educated myself on what it takes to lose weight and set a goal of 210 lbs, losing about 1-2 pounds per week. I realized that to get to my goal I would have to eat less and exercise more. Simple as that. I cut out extra calories wherever I could: soda, orange juice, excess booze and beer, etc. I also learned to love vegetables again and eat less meat.

Today, I am 205 lbs, with 7% body fat. For the first time in my life I have a six-pack, a ton of energy and have dropped 6 inches from the waist on my clothes. It was not easy, but it sure was worth it. The key is, you have to want it. If you are truly committed and disciplined, you can get there.

May 26, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Get A Grip

Great another show about OBESE people... what the heck is happening to this Country ?!?!?
    My daughter is 13, calls me every day when she gets home from school. There are no video games in my home, and there never will be. There is no soda in my fridge, and there never will be. She knows not to turn the television on until her chores and homework are done. It is called PARENTING and discipline. There is NO excuse for what is happening to children in this society. Start from day # 1... stop trying to be their friend... stop trying to throw food and electronics at them so you won't have to parent.... get out there and throw a ball around with them. DO SOMETHING !!!

May 26, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. I've got every excuse, but I'm fit

I have the most stressful position in life, work 3 jobs just to keep the bills paid, have mental health issues, lost my leg in a car accident, have hypothyroidism, 5 screaming kids, fat genes, and an extreme love for the taste of good, but guess what, I still find the time to stay fit. So put the excuses away, they just don't work.

May 26, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Seriously?

Do all of you posting on this think that making fun of and being completely rude towards fat people is okay? Does it make you feel better? If yes, then you should get some help.
    Fat people are fat for a variety of different reasons. It's not all about what you eat, how much you exercise, what your genes are, or what syndromes or diseases you have. And yes, many fat people are fat because they eat so much junk food, but there's a deeper reason to why they eat. For most overweight people, there's a deeper psychological reason. While some people choose to exercise excessively or obsessively count calories as a way to deep with their deeper feelings about themselves, some people choose to hurt their bodies by gaining weight.
    It's not right, nor fair, to place all overweight people in the same category. Also, you need to remember that overweight people are PEOPLE. Human beings. And the harsh comments and criticism I've read on the majority of these posts seem to come from people who do not remember this.
    Seriously people? Life's too short to be mean. Just enjoy everyday and let people be themselves (fat or not).

May 26, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Elaine

If I have to blame anyone for childhood obesity, I blame the media and those "news" show pundits making parents so leery of letting their kids play outside alone (eek! What horrors might be lurking out there!) that they never get a chance to leave the house unless an overworked parent can spare a few minutes to go outside with them.

May 26, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Also annoying is the fact that so many "overworked" and "busy" people are having children in the first place. Look, if you need to work so much that you don't have time for your family – don't have one!!!! Stop being selfish and irresponsible and then blaming the media and the news. Seriously, how pathetic. Take responsibility and be a parent – let your kid know that the media is contrived and political and generally BS and instill in them the values that you believe in.

May 26, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • HB

Here, here. I hate the fact that kids can't be kids any longer. I long for them to be able to go out and play. And the primary reason they aren't able to isn't because it's more dangerous than when we were kids (I'm 38), but that we hear about it constantly, absolutely terrifying parents. Let them go play! Set some ground rules, take some time (you really aren't so important you have to be available to everyone but your children every waking moment) and go play yourselves. You might remember what it's like and actually enjoy yourself for a while!

May 26, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
      • Christine

No, it is not more dangerous today than it was 30 years ago. There are ample crime statistics on this. We are simply afraid of just about everything, including fat. All of us can use info about being healthier, but some of us will be fat regardless. Perhaps our biggest problem is that we don't recognize that people come in different sizes and that fat doesn't mean unhealthy and thin doesn't mean healthy.

May 26, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
        • youngMD

Fat IS unhealthy. To think otherwise is simply wrong. Those who are overweight are at a higher risk for diabetes, heart disease, cancers, have complications during surgery and have worse outcomes following surgery. People who have a BMI between 20-25 are not necessarily completely healthy, but are definitely in better shape than those with a BMI >25.

May 27, 2010 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. The Real Issue

There is vitriol on both sides of this discussion, but all of you are missing one important fact that makes other people's obesity a valid concern for all of us. We are paying through out health insurance the cost of our obese friends and family members. We need to encourage them to exercise and eat healthy (and yes, take responsibility for their weight issues) as well as encourage through our economic votes (dollars) businesses that create and market healthier foods and educate ourselves as to healthy choices and teach our children and so on. Name calling and excuses are both non-productive. We all live in the same world and we all love or care about someone battling a weight issue, which is nearly the same as a health issue.

May 26, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Interesting...

So, here's something that is interesting. Many have quoted Jillian Michaels stating that you have to burn more calories than you consume – this is absolutely correct. The crazy thing is that each body appears to burn calories differently. There are "formulas" to calculate the amount of calories you will burn by doing a specific exercise, but the reality is that these are theoretical calculations based on an average metabolic rate. When I was in high school I was a size 18. I ate one meal a day – dinner – that was prepared at home to my father's specifications (a typical American.meal that had a meat, a starch, and a vegetable). I did not eat snacks and usually had two 12 oz sodas a day. When I performed the calculations, I should have been able to lose weight by just existing compared to the amount of calories I was taking in. This had all of my thin friends in awe. They continually commented on the fact that I ate very little compared to them, but weighed much more. I have a theory about this - I think I had trained my body to burn as few calories as possible so that I could store them for the future. My mother taught me this unhealthy lifestyle and she has the same issue. To this day, I lose more weight by remembering to eat than to not eat and I struggle constantly with weight. Now, this may not apply to everyone, and more than likely not at all to the teens in this show, but I think it does illustrate the fact that the calories in/calories burned equation is a tricky little thing (at least in my personal experience). Peace and love to you all, may you all find happiness and joy (that was not sarcastic, in case anyone is wondering).

May 26, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • peanut

You make a good point. Eating once a day will send your body into starvation mode. Jillian also says that you have to eat at least 1,200 calories each day. And many good diets recommend eating several small meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism and blood sugar steady. I generally eat 5-6 times a day and am 5'7" and 125 lbs. No, I'm not "lucky"– I eat healthy and exercise my butt off 3-4 times a week!

May 26, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  16. skimask

Put down the fork fool!
    Can't gain weight if you don't eat fool!
    Thyroid problem my butt. Fool!
    Don't eat. Don't gain. Fool!
    Give me all the thyroid problems you've got. I don't eat food. I don't get fat. Fool.

May 26, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  17. JJ

All you people, blocking the intersection, you're all idiots.

May 26, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Pat

Sarah, it was your comment "it's all about food". Not always. Lifestyles have caused changes. Buses pick up kids in front of their houses. It might sound a little old fashioned, but I did walk to school every day. When I was in elementary school I walked almost four miles every day. 40 years ago there wasn't three to four hours of homework a night...at least I didn't have that much. We actually spent all summer at the park...PLAYING. The work that was being done 40 years ago wasn't as sedentary. Our entire culture has changed in that time. Some of it good some of it bad, but much of it is influencing the way our kids move. Some of us have overweight kids and we tried to do everything right.

May 26, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

You are right, Pat. I should have clarified my "all about food" comment. I meant that mainly for kids under 18, in my opinion, obesity is generally due more to the consumption of junk food and/or very large portions, rather than no exercise. I recall that many of my friends and classmates in high school – only 15 years ago – were, for the most part, slender (or at least within our BMI range) and did not participate in extracurricular sports or exercise of any kind. We were all pretty sedentary. I agree with you that our culture has experienced a massive shift toward being completely inactive. Technology is to blame for a lot of that. Constant internet use, texting, social networking...the need to compulsively be in touch with everyone all the time...is definitely a change. It seems like it's only going to get worse as technology progresses.

May 26, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Christine

Healthy home cooked meals and plenty of outdoor time is the answer to childhood obesity but you also need to be informed about what you're putting in your body even if you're only eating out 1 night a week. 3500 calories equals a pound and over the course of a year, 2000 extra calories once a week is going to be nearly 30 lbs.. The meals listed below are borderline criminal and every consumer needs to be armed with this information when eating out.
    P.F. Chang's Double Pan-Fried Noodles Combo has 1,820 calories and 7,690 milligrams of salt.
    The Cheesecake Factory's Pasta Carbonara with Chicken has 2,500 calories and 85 grams of saturated fat.
    The Cheesecake Factory's French Toast with Bacon has 2,494 calories and 71 grams of saturated fat.
    TGIFridays BBQ Chicken wrap has 1720 calories.
    On the Border Dos XX Fish Tacos with Red Chili Sauce has 2,240 calories and 152 grams of fat.
    Ask for nutritional information when you sit down. The children's menus can be especially awful. Remember portion control and remember that one 'treat' a week can really add up when you're a child. There are healthy treat alternatives, Sorbet or frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. M&M's in a 100 calorie pack for the movies. American's Best microwave popcorn (40 calories in 2 cups) instead of chips in a lunchbox. Weight can quickly get out of hand and parents need to recognize when a child's weight is creeping up. My husband is obese and I worry every day about my children. I try to arm them with information to make healthy choices without harming their body images. Bravo to these young people for taking the necessary steps to reclaim their lives.

May 26, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  20. John

Why are people today so much fatter and rounder than the people of 40 years ago?

May 26, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why?

Fast food, high fructose corn syrup, soda, junk food, less home cooking, large portions at restaurants. When was the last time you see pick-up (insert game) game in your neighborhood. Today, everything has to be organized and you have to pay money for it. Kids today cannot just go somewhere and play baseball or football. it all has to be organized for them. Then there are those 100 calorie snack packs, which add 100 extra calories, or 300 extra, depending on how many you eat. Look at how many snacks claim 0 trans fats. People actually believe these snacks are healthy! What about fruit?

May 26, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  21. BassOMatic

That's all we need...another pointless reality show that exploits its "contestants" for ratings.

May 26, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Pat

Well, good for you Sarah. I graduated from high school at 118 pounds and am 5'4". At 56, I weight 145 pounds and struggle constantly. I do not eat fast food, I do an aerobic exercise class three to four nights a week for one hour and have either worked out or run my adult life. I do not EVER eat fast food. My meals are cooked at home. I do not fry foods but I will admit to having a sweet tooth. Everyone is not made equally. Thank goodness.

May 26, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why?

Great job Pat. That is my point all along. TV shows like that do more harm than good. Look at the biggest loser. Who can actually take 6 months off to go live on a farm and do nothing but exercise their entire life? A show like this will show teens how to lose weight if they go to a special place and all they do every day is exercise and have proper food. THIS IS NOT REALITY! 99.999% of overweight teens will not be able to do this, and when they do not see themselves losing weight like the ones on TV, or they do not have the same equipment as on TV, they have additional excuses to use. Parents have to step up and take responsibility for their kids and not pass it off to someone else.

May 26, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Pat, you are 56 years old. Not 16. My point was that young kids should not be overweight due to lack of exercise alone because their metabolisms are typically so fast. You even said that at 18 yrs old, you were 118 lbs and 5'4", which is perfectly slim. You made my point for me.

May 26, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not Everyone is Equal

Yes Sarah, but not everyone has the same rate of Burn. And for those who says its a simple match problem (not science) needs to educate themselves. There is a new category of obesity in this country as well. Its called the thin obese. It people who eat the same bad food as overweight people but do not gain the weight, but they are fat on the inside. Metabolism plays a big part. We should be less concerned about the scale and more concerned about our true health. My brother is not overweight and has a cholesteral of over 300. I am overwieght but my sugar, cholesteral, blood pressure and overall health is good. I eat right and excercise. However, I sit behind a desk and he workes maintenance in a manufacturing plant. Dont judge a persons health by their outside appearance. I just saw a 300 lbs man run a marathon on the biggest loser. However many skinny people could do that.

May 26, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Sarah

If thyroid problems and vehicle accidents are to blame for a good percentage of the population being overweight, there must be astronomically increased rates of those two occurrences over the last two decades. I mean, come on. You know, everyone on here is screaming about going outside and exercising. Yes, that is some of it, but when you are a kid (under 18) your metabolism is naturally so fast that you shouldn't even need to exercise very much in order to be slim. The main issue is WHAT THEY ARE EATING. PERIOD. I never exercised in high school and I weighed 95 lbs (I am 5'1") the whole time. Because I ate normal sized portions of food and my mother cooked dinner and would not buy junk food and soda; those were reserved for special occasions (imagine that!!!). I am 31 years old now and weigh only 4 lbs more than I did in high school – 99 lbs. And I still hardly ever exercise. Not saying that exercise isn't important to your overall health; it is. And I know I should be doing it more because of that. But as far as weight gain, it's all about food, people!!! Recognize you are what you freaking eat!!!

May 26, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Michelle

Y'all are cracking me up. That "formula" Miss 129 lbs. stated is a bunch of bs and this entire conversation just stresses the fact that Americans think that women who wear size 7/8 pants are fat. Here's an idea for everyone who doesn't like fat people: don't watch this show. Continue watching the stick women on reruns of "America's Next Top Model".

May 26, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Science

I think a big part of being obese is ignorance. Ask an obese person if they know how many calories is in a gram of fat, a gram of carbohydrate, or a gram of protein and you'll probably get a blank stare. Then start talking about glycogen stores or the thermic effect of food or even maybe the amount of calories in one pound of fat and you'll get no response. Knowledge is power, do some due diligence and research a little bit and you'll understand better how your body works.

May 26, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Pat

Yes, it's all mathmatics. Extra calories causes weight gain, and if we were able to be with our children 24 hours a day we might be able to help them stay trim. All the things everyone says is true but it doesn't stop every person from becoming overweight. The person with an extra 15 pounds to lose has the same "control" issues that a person with 150" to lose has. The inability to eat fewer calories than you burn. Just remember this, all fat people are not lazy and all thin people are not disciplined health junkies and if this show can give a few people the motivation to do something good for their health, why not? It has to be at least as motivational as The Housewives of Orange County!

May 26, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  27. People are mean...

Well said on the last post... I feel bad that I even spent time reading some of these negative and mean comments. It would be nice if for once that people stopped judging eachother and making assumptions/judgments on issues they have no idea about. If you haven't been in someone else's shoes, you have no idea what they're going through or what led them to that point in their life. I think it helps to keep that in mind..

May 26, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • People are strange...

People have a responsibility to themselves to not let themselves go like that. Surround yourself with encouraging people and stay strong yourself. People who play the victim card deserve no pity. On the other hand they also deserve no ridicule.

May 26, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Kill All Fat People!!

If I was obese and read this thread, I'd probably give up and just kill myself. Why leave the house and even try when you're faced with the ignorance and judgment clearly displayed in these posts. Wow!! What is wrong with you people? Do you treat your own mom or dad or children or other members of your family in the ways that you indicate here that you feel? Seriously... SHAME ON YOU. How dare you judge people in such a way when it is NOT your place to do so. Your judgment does nothing for those struggling with obesity and nothing to solve the problem and nothing to inspire them to do anything. When you're out exercising, walking or jogging in public, some jerks...especially males....will yell out their windows "Move it Fatty" while someone is trying to help themselves – why in the world would anyone subject themselves to this? Laziness isn't the problem...you are. There is nothing motivating about this thread. It's complete crap.

May 26, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • NoPie

I went through this whole list of comments and as a n opportunity to judge overweight people, its been pretty unvitriolic. This makes me wonder about the anger level of this comment. Referring you to my previous posts; I think one of the main causes of obesity are EXCUSES and these excuses are enabled by (be it the media's fault or whoever) ridiculous body images we present on ourselves. If someone with a little bit of flab is lumped in with truly obese people then the truly obese can hide.

NOONE is genetically predisposed or has a glandular issue that makes them 300+ lbs; ignoring the calorie in vs. calorie out equation to this level breaks the laws of thermodynamics. And now you're trying to add the excuse that some people are obese because everyone else is too mean to let them do anything about it? Please.

May 26, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Bizza

I love fatty shows!

May 26, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Kim

Judgemental/Simple-minded people like to attach one cause to one effect, when the reality is there are many possible scenarios for any given consequence. A variety of reasons exist as to why someone might be mildly overweight or morbidly obese. Thyroid conditions, stress (yes, even children experience stress), mental health issues, poor parenting, and even lack of self control or just really loving the way food tastes in your mouth can all be reasons which someone may be overweight or obese. So, to all of you out there who want to chalk obesity up to laziness and no self-control, please...do us all a favor and try to develop some simple common sense before you start trying to preach to everyone else.

May 26, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Madcap

If fatties spent half as much time exercising as they do making excuses for being obese, then this wouldn't even be an issue. Stop playing the victims! I have to constantly workout to fight the battle of the bulge at almost 40 and ya know what? It works! I feel better and have more energy and am tone and tight. If I stop, I start to balloon out just like everyone else. MOve your chunky butt and you can stay thin. Simple as that!

May 26, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Struggle To Maintain

Madcap-I read your post and would have thought I wrote it. I will be 40 in September and I struggle with my weight everyday. I get up at 4:30am to work out. And like you, when I cease doing so, I will balloon up. I enjoy a cheeseburger every now and then, but I make sure that I eat healty the rest of the day and keep up my workouts. People need to get rid of the excuses and eat healthy and move! I could always sleep in and pig out on fast food, but I CHOOSE not to.

May 26, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Why not...

To the 'Why' poster. Someone who spends so much time defending their opinion to the point of getting as angry as you are, clearly has issues of their own. It is clear to me you lead yourself a charmed life, likely provided to you by your husband (if you are indeed a woman) and you've never had to work hard for anything in your life. If you are a man, then you likely have your wife, that you've drummed in to submission to never let your children get fat, or else. You have body image issues that are on par with an over-weight person. You are clearly teaching your children to be bullies and all I can say is Karma is a b!tch– what comes around– goes around. Nice parenting yourself.

May 26, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why?

Yup, my kids beat up kids all the time as I do!! it's the way we stay in shape. And no, my kids were not allowed to get overweight because I love them, unlike you with your kids and I did not want them hurt by my poor parenting where I would effect them for the rest of their life.

May 26, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • In the end...

Tsk, tsk Why. Such anger causes frown lines. Now how are you going to look in the mirror and be happy with what you see. At this time, you should back away from the computer and give everyone on here a break. You threw stones and it is only natural for those on here to defend their opinions as well. Your anger has consumed you and it's clear to everyone here who is posting that you are indeed a few french fries short of your happy meal.

May 26, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • texas mom

WHY? You mean you just don't want other kids making fun of your kids the way that they do others. You push your kids to hard and they will end up fat as adults. You are so contradicting and arrogant you need a reality check.

May 26, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Chris

It's funny to see all your comments. Weight is mathmatics, you have to burn more than you eat. Period. There is no great science behind it, you eat calories, you have to burn at least what you eat or burn more if you need to lose weight. Most medical conditions, even thyroid conditions do not take the calories out of what you eat or burn. The sooner we teach our kids this they will be healthier. It is not rocket science!

May 26, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amen

Chris is absolutely right. Losing weight (or gaining or maintaining a weight for that matter) is quite simply a math problem. If you eat more calories than your body "needs" on a daily basis, you will gain weight. If you can run a caloric deficit, then you will lose weight. It's as simple as that. All this nonsense about thyroid problems, which affect about 4% of the American population, is yet another excuse. What ever happened to personal responsibility? If you don't like the way you look, maybe consuming over half your needed calories for the day in one meal is a bad idea. Just a thought.

May 26, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  34. To Why

Aside from medical reasons, which should be addressed with your PCP– there are other reasons aside from an unhealthy life-style. More then ever pre-teens and teens face verbal abuse or harassment situations– not just from their peers– but also other adults or parents. The cycle of depression for a teen (esp. girls) who becomes a target of her peers for being just slighty heavy leads to coping, such as over-eating. There are so many factors that you are not considering in your thoughtless comments. You must come from a life-style that gives you the ability to stay home, exercise, make fresh meals and do active things with your family– good for you. However, many are not in the same situation. Many parents are working two jobs each to make ends meet. Many parents are faced with little option to be around at all. Stop being so judgemental. I'm sure you have a few flaws yourself.

May 26, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why?

Now isn't that the pot calling the keetle black. A lot of assumptions you make while accusing me of the same. All I hear are more excuses. There are always options if you take the time and care and stop accepting the life style you choose. So go ahead and be judgemental so you can feel good. But I would look in the mirror before you call someone else that.

May 26, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Craig

And, by the way, people... If you think the Style Network is putting on the show to "help people" you are sorely mistaken. If they couldn't make money off of it, it wouldn't be on. It's about profits, not "education" and "awareness"

TV execs would air live executions if it made them money

May 26, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Price Per Pound...

Craig, you're right. The shows are not designed to educate, they're only about one thing: ratings and dough.

May 26, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • hel

oooh executions!!! now THAT would be great family viewing! (people used to attend hangings, didn't they?)

May 26, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  36. NoPie

@Concerned Mom – Umm, what? You say you weigh 129 lbs. and you battle with weight. Unless you are 4 and a half feet tall I would say that you have won that battle. Maybe we should start differentiating between the people who WANT to lose weight and the people that SHOULD. Noone out there is 500 lbs. because of a thyroid issue, and just because you don't look like a fitness model doesn't mean you are fat.

May 26, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Craig

Well, said. That "concerned Mom' is a fool. 129 lbs!?! Give me a break. Just glad I'm chiseled as all hell, and not a big load

May 26, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

That's a problem right there – 129 lbs is heavy for a not terribly short person. As a nation we have come to accept higher and higher numbers as proper weights. 4 and a half feet tall? No – at 5'4" 129 lbs would be overweight. Take 100 lbs for your first 5 ft, then 5 lbs per inch after that for an easy formula of where you should be at. 129 lbs therefore is about right for a woman who is 5'6" tall. Yeah, scream and cry about it, oh but I'm fit and muscle weighs more, I have big bones, etc. etc. Um – no. That's the harsh truth.

May 26, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • NoPie

@Susan – I'm going to be very straight with you here, I have a very severe distaste for obese people. I'm not going to get into it too deeply. When people walk around saying 130 lbs is heavy for a 5'4" person they are lumping larger and larger groups into the category where they can consider themselves fat. I will now, in all humility, quote myself "we should start differentiating between the people who WANT to lose weight and the people that SHOULD."

Think about it, you are suggesting women who are size 4 or 6 or in some cases 8 or 2 are overweight.

May 26, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why?

I agree, 129lbs is not even bad for someone at 5'2. Marilyn Monroe was a size 8 and I do not think you will find anyone complaining about the way she looked!

May 26, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • awwwwwwww

i agree with some of what susan is saying. 129 is a bit overweight for 5'2. but muscle doesn't equal fat, so if she's into fitness, 129 isn't bad at all.

May 26, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • FiveTwo

I'm 5'2" and I can tell you that the cutoff for clinical overweight (not obesity) at my height is actually about 135, going strictly by BMI. 129 isn't super-hot, but it's within the range considered healthy. Part of the problem is that we have the general population, who are overweight for the most part, seeing all these media images of people whose body weight, IRL, would be considered unhealthy. I imagine this would be very discouraging for people with a little weight to lose and might cause them to give up trying. That said, I eat healthfully and work out HARD for an hour every day. After three kids, I weigh in at 115 lbs. The answer isn't dieting, which sets people up for failure; it's choosing every day to make the healthiest choices.

May 26, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Shannon

Childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past 30 years. The prevalence of obesity among children aged 6 to 11 years increased from 6.5% in 1980 to 19.6% in 2008. The prevalence of obesity among adolescents aged 12 to 19 years increased from 5.0% to 18.1%.
    These statistics are from the CDC – Why all of the sudden are we having thyroid problems to cause obese kids? What meds are we now giving kids to make them fat? And if heredity is the problem then 30 years ago these kids relatives would have been overwieght – so the excuses above don't really apply. I don't know why it is so hard for people to admit they may have an problem THEY are responsible for. I don't enjoy exercising everyday and sure I'd much rather eat a Big Mac than a salad but sometimes we have to do what is best not just what we want!

May 26, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Work

It does take a lot of work and disapline to lose weight. I went to weight watchers, not only for the education, but the support and accountability. It really helped me to stay focused. If this show can do that for a few kids, more power to them. As Dear Abby once said a bad habit never disappears miraculously; It's an undo-it-yourself project. It doesn't happen over night. It takes work and disapline. We should all encourage people, not slam them, making them feel worse about themselves and pushing them to food for comfort.

May 26, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • adrienne

definitely – it does take a lot of work and discipline. i was overweight from a young child, and though i lost about 50 pounds in my early to mid-20's I am still struggling to lose my last 20 pounds. My parents were not horrible people – my dad is very fit and used to drag me outside to play tennis with him, but my mom and her side of the family are all obese and many have diabetes. she always cooked healthy meals but it was the incessant snacking that got to her, and something that I learned from her, and had to learn how to undo. I also had to learn to exercise and not be lazy. I still exercise and eat healthy but it is very hard to lose the last 10-20 pounds because your body resists more to lose it. Still, I am much happier than I was when I was overweight, and now I actually run and enjoy it! Who woulda thought that a former fat kid who couldn't even run once around the track in high school can now run miles and enjoy it?? If you really want it you can do it, but you have to make lifestyle changes. best of luck to anyone trying to lose weight, and shame on those of you making fun of overweight people-it is much more difficult than you think.

May 26, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  39. ldydragonfly

Thyroid problems. Medications. Excuses...excuses. My kids *aren't* overweight for a few reasons. I don't let them sit i nfront of the tv (or in their rooms) and 'pig out'. That kind of 'grazing' is rediculous. Only a certain amount of dessert ...not 2 or 3 slices of cake, half a pizza..whatever. Sodas are rare for my kids. One hates the taste of it and the other isn't allow more than two a day. Also, I know when to tell them 'no' about going out to eat too much or them wanting to 'graze' between meals. A nation of overweight people. Chemicals, junk, soda/energy drinks, etc. 30-40 years ago, barely an issue with this. Now...it's so rampant, we have shows called "The Biggest Loser", "Wall-E" (Yup, wait.. you didn't get the fat-overtones throughout half the movie?? lol silly people), and now this. Just as bad as "16 and pregant". It's an epidemic...time to make it a tv show.... stupid, again.

May 26, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why?

NNOOOOO!!!! It's not my fault, can't be a parents fault for teaching this life style to their kids! How dare you even think this! It's my fault and your fault for not being more understanding of parents who let their kids do what they want and over eat and get pregnant. Either that or we could blame the government! Anyone but me! Your kids are lucky to have you!

May 26, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Why?

I have to disagree, it is a condition because you chose to be that way. Being over weight is a symptom of this. Why are there more obese people today then there were years ago? Why? Because of junk food, lack of home cooking, more time spent in front of the TV and computer then outside. Mran stated it best, you have to make the decision to change and get off the couch to do it.

May 26, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Mran

It's only a matter of discipline,

I was about to hit 300lbs by the age of 17. I dusted off the bicycle and rode for 2 hours every day, my diet did not change, i only reduced total consumption to be in line with my riding needs. 3 months later I had dropped to 195 and returned to school being treated practically like a new kid. All it takes is the willpower for change.

May 26, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeanie

You want us to believe you lost 105 lbs in 3 months? Idontthinkso. How do I know? Because when I was 18 I lost 100 lbs – and it took a year. Even then the doctor said it was quick – losing weight too quickly is very bad on the heart.

May 26, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • BABAK

You lost 50lbs a month!?!? 1.5 lbs a day? check your scale!

May 26, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • texas mom

Check your scale? 105 in 3 mos gone does not equal 50 pounds a month it is 35 pounds a month. and it can be done if you eat right and excersize. Everyone is different in how there body looses weight so don't judge just because it took you longer.

May 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Why? Because...

It is because of people like "Why?" that the stigma and judgment of obese teens prevails so strongly and is more crippling than the weight itself. Why is obsessed with blaming rather than solving. Fat and Lazy is not condition, it's a symptom. I'll bet Why wants obese teens to suffer while being ridiculed by others, in fact he's probably guilty of just such ridicule as it is obvious he's judged them as Fat and Lazy and feels justified in his actions. Screw you Why.

May 26, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erin

Why?Because- --Fat and Lazy are not a symptoms. They are adjectives that describe obese people. I have an underactive Thyroid and am on med for it as well. I am a mom of two, and have never been overweight in my life. It is really easy to gain weight with my hypothyroidism, I will admit, but I dont because I cook healthy foods and am fairly active. I dont eat organically or go out running everyday or every other day for that matter. I just eat 3 meals a day, and a snack, that are fairly good for me and my kids and husband. I still eat junk food too on occasion. It all boils down to being active and eating right. End of story. The large part of America's citizens are too lazy and are obese because they dont care.

May 26, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

Erin – Your thyroid hormone can be adequately replaced with medication; thus it is no more "easy" for you to gain weight than it is for anyone with a normally functioning thyroid. If you had chronic untreated hypothyroidism, it would be another story.

May 26, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  43. SkinnyTeen

Having a show on TV doesn't necessarily mean they will sit on the couch. People can put a TV in front of any exercise machine and workout while watching their favorite show. I did it and lost weight why can't they. Negativity and name calling doesn't help ANYBODY lose weight, it just propels them into a state of depression and self loathing. I truly hope some of these people posting comments are never sick or overweight, but if that does happen I won't have sympathy.

May 26, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trumbull

"People can put a TV in front of any exercise machine and workout while watching their favorite show. I did it and lost weight why can't they. "

Unfortunately, the vast majority of obese teens do not come from households that have the disposable income to purchase any type of exercise machine. It's pretty simple. Stop eating fast foods, quit watching so much television and get off your butt and go for a walk. The time for dancing around this epidemic is over. America is fat and eating itself into such a poor state of health that today's kids have a shorter life expectancy than their parents. That has never happened in the 200+ years of this country.

May 26, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  44. NateSummers

I'm afraid teens that are in trouble with their weight are just going to sit on the couch and watch more obese teens on TV. I don't know if this will make a difference. I have 2 nieces that have serious weight issues, to the point where it affects their health a great deal, and they love to watch the "idiots" on reality TV. They love "The Biggest Loser," and it doesn't inspire them to do anything. But I guess if it inspires one person, then it's worth it.

May 26, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Why?

If they put down the junk food and get off the couch, they would not be over weight! Have their parents actually cook real food might help. Being over weight is usually because you are lazy and prefer to watch TV with ice cream then get outside and exercise. This show will just have more over weight people on the couch in front of the TV instead of doing something productive. Good job Style, then you can have season two and so on. The gift that keeps on giving.

May 26, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hmmmmm

Hey DODO HEAD, alot of people have thyroid problems which cuase weight gain and spend their whole lives fighting it even with meds. There are alot of health conditions that make it hard to lose weight, including hereditary. Sure, not being active has alot to do with it for alot of people. But not everyone is lazy as you put it. Get edumacated bafore ya open the old pie hole!

May 26, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not always so

There are certain situations that can also make you heavy, not just sitting on the couch. Thyroid issues, vehicle accidents, etc. can also lead to weight gain or lose. But, in agreement with you, if these kids are just sitting around at home playing on the Internet after school instead of going outside and moving around, then yeah, it is their fault and they need to work harder to eliminate the issue they caused themselves. Move around more, watch your portions, and try to get motivated. Harder than it sounds, but worth it. 🙂

May 26, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Concerned mom

Why? Because...You are the stigma! I do not feed my kids junk food or let them sit around....yet we battle with it. I weigh 129lbs...I eat good food...These shows do inspire and motivate...my daughter has made the decision to do something for herself. Because of this...she will have a greater strength than anyone like you could ever hope to achieve!

May 26, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • annoyed by shallow people

apparently you have no clue when it comes to weight.... this is obviously a statement made by someone who has never had an issue with weight... every heavy person would cheer if conquering this would be as easy as going outside and not watching tv with ice cream... you have got to be kidding me

May 26, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why?

And this show is not about Thyroid problems is it? If it was, it would not be at this camp, but at a doctors office. People always trying to be politically correct are the issue. Let's face it, America is fatter today because of our lifestyle and junk we call food. It's easier to let your kids eat fast food then teach them to eat properly or cook for them. Or let the TV babysit them instead of taking them out. And yes, I do have two boys and no, they are not over weight because we enjoy doing activities outdoors. And yes, they do have video games but do not sit in front of them all weekend. And I guess never getting to this point makes me weaker then someone who let themselves get to this point then lost the weight? Thats like saying to your kids it's OK to fail in school as long as next year you do better. Great parenting!

May 26, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unbelievable Judgement

Why...you're an ass. Unbelievable that people like you even exist.

May 26, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why?

Did I touch a nerve or something? Get a little close to home? People have to take responsibility for their own actions are what I am trying to say and stop coming up with excuses. That’s all you ever hear anymore, it’s not my fault, its society, its school, it’s the teachers, it hereditary, its medicine, it’s this, and it’s that. Step up and take responsibility for your own life and not push it off on someone else.

May 26, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Well Aren't You Smart...

First off, I'm not fat but that doesn't make it right to treat those that are as if they are less than human for being overweigh. Your reply alone reveals what a complete and total immature and uneducated ass you really are. Good luck in your shallow, depraved life jerk.

May 26, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why?

I will. I will go on with my life since I will have one because I do not have extra fat surrounding my internal organs killing me from the inside. I will also live a long life with my children who I raised properly to understand they have to take credit for thier life also and the decisions they make now will last forever. You also have a great life and thanks for wishing me a great life. You are a truly caring individual.

May 26, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Are you serious?

Unbelievable that people this fat even exist...

May 26, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agreed with Why?

Losing weight is as easy as using more calories than you eat. Get off your ass, exercise, and eat less calories. Quit whining and actually take control of your life. Boo hoo, I don't feel sorry for you!

May 26, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • awwwwwwww

Why? is correct

May 26, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Glenn

I take what you have to say less seriously when you don't know the difference between then and than.

May 26, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leah (TXanimal)

Those of you using hypothyroidism as an excuse: generally speaking, hypothyroidism is VERY RARELY related to significant weight gain. Most patients with the condition gain less than 20lbs...so the candidates for this show would not qualify. Plus, once treatment begins, any gained weight will be lost with controlled diet and exercise, just like anyone else. The American Thyroid Association has all this info readily available. The medical conditions that actually cause obesity are extremely rare. "Fat genes" can be overcome. My whole family on both sides is overweight, with many who are significantly overweight. I started down that path, but realized that not ever feeling "full", or the propensity to gain weight wasn't an excuse not to control portion sizes, not change my eating habits and not exercise more. Do those of us with "fat genes" have to work a little harder in the gym and be a little stricter with our diets to stay lean? Yes. So what? It's not an excuse!

May 26, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • LakersFan

Leah you are mis-informed according to Mayo Clinics website "Hypothyroidism upsets the normal balance of chemical reactions in your body. It seldom causes symptoms in the early stages, but over time, untreated hypothyroidism can cause a number of health problems, such as obesity, joint pain, infertility and heart disease." (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism/ds00353). The only thing I will agree with you on is that using it as an excuse is bull. Working harder in the gym, if you can afford to go great. If you can't start taking walks. I have hypothroidism but that does not stop me from taking walks as my exercise routine. I take 5 mile walks every day out on the beach because walking in the sand (not down by the water) is a great workout. You still feel the burn in your legs and backside and it burns calories.

May 26, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Seriously!

Excellent! I think these shows are helpful to people who struggle with weight, and it gives hope that what seems to be an impossible goal can be achieved.

May 26, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |

people don't 'struggle' with losing weight, they simply are too lazy to do anything about it. It fundamentally boils down to whether they have self-control/will-power to not eat unhealthy foods and instead actually exercise... Arguments such as 'not having enough time' are stupid because it takes the same amount of time to eat a nutrition bar as it does an a cookie...

May 26, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |