May 17th, 2010

Justin Bieber fans outsmart Twitter

Hey, Twitter: don’t start none, won’t be none.

The social network attempted to outsmart Justin Bieber fans by adjusting the algorithm for its trending topics lists, but it failed as fans quickly reassembled to figure out a new way to get their favorite pop star back on the Twitter chart.

The singer had been a trending topic – meaning he was one of the most popular things tweeted about on the popular social media forum – for months, but after tinkering with the formula on Friday, topics that were “most breaking” or “immediately popular” ranked high on the trending list, as opposed to what was most discussed.

When that happened, the singer fell off the charts completely – a move that fans of the 16-year-old didn’t take too kindly.

By Sunday, fans had tweaked his name, calling him Twieber or Jieber to get around the new algorithm change. Now he’s in two top spots on Twitter’s lists, and all is well in the world.

1. Keziak Wilbertc

Hi kids, you all must watch hilarious videos, however take into account that first study then enjoyment ok.

July 11, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mary

u all complain about the kids liking that boy,if thats the worst they ever do be thankful.HOW ABOUT ELVIS? that was my man

July 22, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. lori

what iz justin bieber real # . plus i luv justin bieber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hey i have BIEVER FEVER EVERYDAY

May 19, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  4. lori

wat iz justin bieber real # plz

May 19, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cameron

HEY ALOAN!! you have ovbiously have no IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. This is not even about Lady GaGa but since you think you are so damn smart and know everything you have forced me to comment again on you idiots. Lady GaGa made her way to the top on her own, if you knew anything about GaGa you would know that. She wasnt just found one day and given a record deal. She worked her ass off! she started out singing in bars, then goes on to write music for HUGE PEOPLE. now look at her you can hardly go a day without reading about her. i truly think you are ignorant piece of sh!t. maybe you should do some research before you go saying things and look stupid.

May 18, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Michele

That's awesome!

I'm glad girls are taking an interest in computer algorithms, and thinking through how they're working etc.

This is how we get more women in computer science – start them young on a problem they are interested in.

I hope some of them turn into some great programmers some day.

Yay! Bieber's good for something, whatever you think of his music.

May 18, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Melis

BIEBER FEVER! WOO HOO!

May 18, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Elizabeth

I love Justin Bieber. He is so cute and SHOULD be a twitter topic.

May 18, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Megan

I really think I'd like to start referring to this as the "Biebonic plague". Beiber fever just doesn't roll like I want it to.

May 18, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. becca

To Joe.

ahahah. i dont like bieber that much, but how do you not know who he is? havent you ever been listening to the radio and a really annoying song started going "and i was like babbbbyyy, babbbyyy, babbbyyy. ohhhh."

May 18, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Really Big

mcheod: this is the entertainment page.

everyone else: I don't own any Beiber music. However, from his TV appearances, I get the impression that this is a really talented kid, and of course it doesn't hurt that he's also eye candy for teenage girls. I think it possible that he will (literally) grow into a major star.

May 18, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mharmon

well wat i think probably won't matter but imma say it anyway

i think he is ok... but we all know that we have that one singer that WE think are the bomb so let's stop the criticism. leave JB alone if he can get payed for singin BABY 100 times... who wouldnt take that money. you a fool if u dnt

May 18, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeffrey

The link was "LAMBERT LIKES BOWERSOX FOR WIN'...what's with the Justin Beiber crap?

May 18, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. K-Money

Actually, while this is located in the Entertainment section, I stumbled upon it while looking under the Top Technology stories in the Tech section. Sure it provided some remotely interesting news about how the fans "outsmarted" Twitter, but you can't blame me for being disappointed when looking for a good piece in the technology section and being directed to this garbage.

May 18, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sarah

I understand Bieber is not news worthy. . .however. . if you decided to read up on CNN's website and enter the entertainment section don't expect an update on insurgency in third world countries. . .look elsewhere. . .and stop making fun of the entertainment news articles if your so clearly into reading them. . .

May 18, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  16. Pat

This is ridiculous. Another young Youtube star pops up. This is getting overrated. They come and go so why bother squealing like an idiot over this stuff all the time? And Justin is not worth the news so stop wasting our time. Start putting up "News" that's more important than some kid that can sing. Alot of kids can sing, whooptie doo.

May 18, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  17. Aloan

I agree with Kevin P comment above 100%. He knows what he is talking about, seriously and honestly. lady gaga? I never heard her sing a single song, justin bieber? not even. Who ever are behind these two had the money to put them there. That's why they're at the top, it's the hidden "who" that's put them at the top. That's why we're like who the hell are these? I certainly wil not buy a single CD outta those two, sorry. I wish them good though, cause I'm not a hater, just as I wish a good life to anyone.

May 18, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  18. Alicia

Justin Bieber is obviously getting way more attention that he deserves.
    The kid is talented and this is apparent in his music and live performances. However, how smart and skilled do you actually have to be to sing "one less lonely girl" 10+ times in a 3 minutes song? or maybe it's harder to sing "baby" 30+ times in a 3 minute song? that must be truly life threatening to attempt that.

if the kid had heartfelt songs discussing things are were, well, meaning filled, it might make sense that we are blowing him up like a a sacred piece of meat. However, you bieber worshipers, you have to realize that he is a boy. He will crack someday and have the voice of an old man that calls to you in a slightly illegal way. Someday he won't be so talented. Someday his balls will drop.

And when that day comes, voice lessons will ensue and maybe his true colors will show.

it is just like twilight. we have this pretty package, which makes the content thoroughly undesirable. and how can you judge a book by it's cover ? oh yea, don't open it!

jeez, i can't wait until he dies out and true talent emerges once more.

May 18, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  19. Boof

These days, instead of truely talented people, we are subjected to the mediocre warblings of this twit and the rest of the American Idol generation. This poser needs to go away.

May 18, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  20. Lucy

Why do so many people take the time to read the ENTERTAINMENT section of CNN and then complain about the ENTERTAINMENT stories. Here's an idea, if these stories are beneath you and you could care less about Justin Bieber, Kim Kardashian, Coolio or other ENTERTAINERS, don't read the ENTERTAINMENT section.

May 18, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  21. Brandon

let the kid have his fame for awhile. let him enjoy the popularity with the girls because truth is like every childhood popstar he will lose his shine just like those who fell before so get over it and grow up if y'all are really as old as u say then act like it

May 18, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  22. Waaa Waaa Waaa

I hope that dude is banging each and every one of these chicks too!!!

I know what I was doing at 16...Go Bieber Go...His bedpost probably has more notches than any of us on this board.

Dumb Chicks are Great!! They make the world go around!!

May 18, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  23. SkoalJohn

http://bu.tt/8 says is all

May 18, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  24. Trish

Aw Justin Bieber is a cutie pie. His music is age appropriate rock on little man.

May 18, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  25. Sue

I think it has been proven that you don't need to be a talented musician to be making a lot of money. At least not in music!

May 18, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  26. SRose

So first I agree – how is this news? And second, who the hell is Justin Bebier?

CNN is a news network. Even for entertainment news... this is insulting to the readership.

May 18, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  27. shabaz

Cameron said: "Justin is not talented? Have you not heard him sing? If he wasnt talented why would Usher want to do anything with him? Usher has been doing his thing for years now. "

Usher is talented ? Really? Saw him several times, not impressed. To be honest JBi s rather better than Usher, and that's not saying much..

May 18, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  28. Kathy

I don't get this. Why in the frak would Twitter care if Beiber is a trending topic? Do the people running Twitter not realize that the average "tweet" describes someone's morning latte? Slow news day? Call me confuzzled.

May 18, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  29. OrUnreality

I meant "quit" above, not "quite". Misspelling aside, I meant what I said. We're tired of hearing about the petty things that happen on a site that will be defunct in 5 years.

May 18, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  30. OrUnreality

Obsessed with Twitter much? When a news organization becomes this obsessed with social media, it's sad and annoying.

Quite reporting on twitter. No one cares, and it's stupid. We get that you're in love, but give us a break. It's not news. It doesn't matter. It's not cool that you have an article on it every single day.

What are they paying you or something?

May 18, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  31. HJ

I'd just like to point out that the band Hanson is misused in reference to bands that disappear after a few years and have no value.

This particular band is and was the real deal. Someone else mentioned that the music industry is just a corporate evil out to make a buck, looking for the next single, that cute kid that sells, a single to top the charts and rack in the dough.

That is very true. In 2004, the band Hanson realized that themselves. They then proceeded to cut ties with their (overly conglomerated) label who's only interest was to make themselves money and that they had no interest in helping the band grow as musicians or build a career for themselves.

Today Hanson is still a band, albeit an independent band who most of the population no longer knows exist. But that is okay with them and their fans because they have built the career for themselves that *they* wanted all along, and they thrive on creating, recording, producing, performing, marketing and touring with their own music, on their own terms.

New album out June 8th.

May 18, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  32. natalie

I still say he's really a 25 year old lesbian in disguise.

May 18, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  33. Robert

Do you guys fail to realize that you are under the ENTERTAINMENT section of CNN.com? I assume so, because if you go under politics/military, there is nothing said of Justin Bieber at all.

May 18, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  34. Linda

Dorothy Pouch:

Sure – that video of him doing Stevie Wonder is good. But look at the mess the music execs have made of him ...

May 18, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  35. Blake

ok, yes he is successful, but come on! seriously he talks trash about other young singers and brain washes other kids. I don't like him but thats just my opinion so anybody who doesn't like it swat it away like an annoying fly. he has a big ego and when he hits rock bottom he will hit hard and i will laugh

May 18, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  36. Dennis

@Joe and everyone else wondering who the !!@# is Beiber...

He's just the little boy all the little girls want to get undressed for. Apparently he sings or plays the kazoo or something like that.

If you're over the age of 13 and don't know who this kid is it's nothing to worry about...He'll be gone soon enough like the Hanson boys et al.

May 18, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  37. Rob

is that the stupid lesbian kid that didn't know what Germany was??? lol...uh yah, maybe he should have stayed in school a bit longer...

May 18, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  38. Meg

I as a canadin am tired of hearing about this young man Justin bieber...he became famous much too fast...his ego is so big I;m surprised his head is still attached to h=is shoulders. I'm sorry he was invited to the White House .....he needs to be in the business a few more years before these perks are offered. I wonder if his school mates still think he's thse same person...I wonder if he even keeps in touch with any of them. He thinks his hairstyle is just so stylish...I think 40 yr. ago it was popular with little boys approx. 5-6 yr. old. I honestly don't think Usher's mentoring has done him any favours.

May 18, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  39. michelle

how is this news? he will just fade like all the other teen pop singers, hopefully....

May 18, 2010 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  40. erin

I find it hilarious that young girls would manage to outsmart the Twitter folks in replacing their favourite person/topic of interest. Isn't it amazing that Twitter would have to redo an algorhythm? Sure it's trivial banter but somehow a bit more uplifting than reading about who's been murdered and how....lighten up folks!

May 18, 2010 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
  41. Nils

Dear lord, we with storing enough wills must purge the earth of this infection!

May 18, 2010 at 4:55 am | Report abuse |
  42. GD

I once had a Justin Bieber, but luckily my doctor prescribed antibiotics and it cleared up.

May 18, 2010 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  43. Adam

Just what the world needs... tweet bombers. Don't we have better things to do with our time? I mean, I'm the first to support an artist I like, but really?

May 18, 2010 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  44. jewslikewalmart

get to know justin biber more here
    free concert he performed recently

May 18, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  45. Bundy

If he really wanted to get covered by CNN day in and day out, he should just change his name to Apple.

May 18, 2010 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  46. RabidBunny

Justin Bieber is the latest in a very long line of pop music teen idols. They usually have their moment in the spotlight and then all too quickly they pass their "Best If Used By" date and become a relic of history...unless they have the talent and backing to breakout of the mold the music industry originally cast them in and appeal to a diverse older audience. If they can't make that transition, it's often a tough thing for them to mentally handle becoming a has-been before they turn 20.

May 17, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  47. rachele

I'm a really old lady, so at 45 years old, it's probably not too surprising that Iam not very familiar with Justin Bieber, but I do see why the little girls like him. He's cute, if I were 12 I'd probably like him too, though that would depend on his music. I had pretty exclusive tastes for a little girl, which of course was way back in the Ice Age. Hey, we all age. It is not optional.

May 17, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Ugh

It's like nails on a chalk board every time I hear him say 'Shotty' instead of "Shorty"....

May 17, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  49. AFatalPapercut

This crap is for like....eleventeen year olds.

May 17, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Old Scratch

Twitter is the TRL of this season. "Hey Twitter! I voted for Justin Bieber to be number one because he is totally hot!! WHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

May 17, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Demara

He's completely overhyped, just because teens and tweens think he's hot. Let it go.

May 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Father McFeely

Justin, you're an angel....I so wanna touch you all over. God bless you my child.

May 17, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Travis Piper

Why are so many of you down on Justin Bieber? He's seems to be a great guy. He's a great singer.

May 17, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Mich

Justin is talented, but mostly he's simply the current Hot Teen Thing. The teens who are screaming for Justin today were screaming for the Jonas Brothers last year, and next year they'll be screaming for somebody else. There's no audience as vocal, as lucrative, and as fickle as teenage girls.

I just hope he's getting good advice, putting the money into safe investments, and keeping a level head. This is the sort of story than can end well, or very tragically once his fans abandon him for the next cute hot entertainer. And that WILL happen – no performer stays on top forever, especially teen idols. Someone younger and cuter always comes along.

May 17, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  55. theswordsman

I never knew it until they added the "Top Tweets" to the sign-in, but he has "beliebers" who spam his name all day, hoping for his approval. If he's trending while he's on Saturday Night Live, that's real, but the perpetual spam stuff just helps make the trending topics useless information

May 17, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Alex

Thank you for doing this because I was totally confused when he was not a trending topic anymore, I love Justin Bieber!!!

May 17, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Ben

I can completely see why CNN gave this column inches. This is Beatlemania. In fact, it's really three stories rolled into one: the longevity of Bieber's popularity on Twitter; Twitter adjusting their guidelines to prevent this; and the ingenuity of the fans to get around this.
    As I said, it's the flash-mob meets the screaming chicks waiting for The Fab 4 to disembark the plane.

May 17, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  58. mushymushroom

THE BIEB strikes again...!

Oh well, his fans are passionate.

I just really wish that The BIEB chops off his hair and I swear, all these girls will be denying that they are fans of THE BIEB after actually seeing his whole face.

On his music, he can still improve that through time he just really have to work hard.

May 17, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Diane Benton

Love the Bieber fever!!
    And he is a Canadian!!

May 17, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Sam

Hey Kaitlin...look at the top of the page. It says "The Marquee Blog". In other words, this story is an entertainment story, it isn't a news story, and was never presented as a news story. Jesus....

May 17, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Kaitlin

CNN, this isn't news
    this is teenage girls being insane, no real story behind it.
    i'm 14 years old, i'm not obsessed with Justin Bieber whatsoever, just because he's apparently 'cute', does not make him in anyway talented.

just as with any teeny bopper male singer, the talent fades as they hit puberty.

May 17, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Dorothy

He comes from a Christian family with strong roots, so I'm sure they're keeping him grounded and I pray this won't happen to him.

May 17, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  63. sean

ok.. Im 19 and i dont know who the F*** he is, sounds like another future coke head wash up in and out of rehab in 10 years

May 17, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Dorothy Pouch

FYI, Justin Bieber is VERY talented. Take a look at this 2007 video of him singing a Stevie Wonder Song.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0t8w-0GO8Q&w=640&h=360]

He deserves all his success and fame.

May 17, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  65. SmartA$$

Jeepers, Creepers where'd you get them Peepers lol

May 17, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  66. jacob Bland

Because for some reason people get engorged by the stupidity that is entertainment news.

May 17, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Peggy Smith

Justin Bieber rocks - and I am a 50 year old mother of two teens who can't stand him!

May 17, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Dana

Joe... isnt it funny how quickly times change?? 🙂 i feel the SAME way!!

May 17, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  69. You should already know this...

DON'T F**** WITH WENDY TESTABERGER!

That means you too Teewter!

May 17, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Joseph L Cooke

Who?

May 17, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  71. ForASong

The part that surprised *me* was seeing "Justin Bieber fans" and "outsmart" in the same sentence...

May 17, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Ato

After reading this "news" story, I can safely say I've lost a bit of respect for CNN...

May 17, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  73. you'redumb

@will – i will give feldman and hanson but justin timberlake? i don't think anyone has forgotten him. he's doing quite well actually.

this bieber BS has got to stop soon though. i ignore trending topics now since he's always on there. it used to be interesting to see what people were talking about...but now it's just ridiculious.

May 17, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Zombie Julie

When I hear is music, I always think it's a young lady singing. I understand why the youngsters like him, I mean, they have to have some sort of fantasy. It's like an imaginary friend, in a way. He will never really exist to love you, or to tell you how much he cares for you.

I'm just waiting for a few years down the road for him to come out of the closet. I'm sure the sounds of hearts breaking everywhere will be quite loud. Quite loud indeed.

May 17, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Rachel

Mcheod. You're in entertainment section if you didn't realize that.

May 17, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  76. pathetic

If you listen to his music you have neither a D**K nor B***S....This stuff leaking into the music community is probly what gave DIO cancer...

May 17, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  77. yess!

There is a name for this kid and his music.....A FAD

May 17, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Josh

Dear CNN: Go Suck it.

Love,
    The real news stories.

May 17, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  79. ukons

Do good deeds! Send a fun message. http://Ukons.com Spread it around.

May 17, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  80. odysseus14

mcheod, (and to explain to you joe) yes this is news. justin bieber is a remarkable sensation. he got his start because his mom started posting videos of him singing on youtube, then came a record contract, then came the beatles-fan-like screaming girls.

he was recently the musical guest on the last SNL episode with Tina Fey a few weeks ago. he even appeared in a skit.

i was surprised that I actually liked his music. I'm 45, with a teenage daughter who does NOT like Justin Bieber, but I say hey give the kid a chance.

The second song he did on SNL was really good – You Smile, then I smile. What a good pop tune! I can relate. When my woman smiles it means everything to me, you know?

so I would say that there are a lot of news worthy topics under study here – the new possiblities for the culture because of the internet and things like youtube; it's important to keep track of emerging trends in young people. A promising young artist for those who like music, and on and on and on.

for example, on keeping up on what kids like, my daughter told me to buy apple stock when it was at $80. I did not and now it is 3 or 4 or 5 times higher. I'll listen next time!

May 17, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  81. David H

For one thing: this IS news to some people, and not just tweens. To learn that this group could so configure itself into getting around the rules set up by a social network IS of interest. These kids, rightly or wrongly, took on the 'establishment" and got what they wanted.

Secondly: Anyone who reads a news item and disagrees with it... that is, anyone with a healthy ego... will determine that they are not interested and move on. But there is always this cohort of disgruntled folk who cannot pass up the chance to spray the territory and weigh in on matters that don't concern them.

Those readers for whom no story can pass without their approval are egotistical, bored, and likely stupid. Who the hell do you think you are anyway?

This site has HUNDREDS of "real" news stories. Go read them. Go and make all the comments you want.

Better yet, get a job at a news organization and decide what should be covered... but no, that would be too hard. That would require dedication to a career, that would require considering things from more than your tiny ego's view.

Just sit there on your ass and decide for us what is news. Morons.

May 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Karen

What is news-worthy about the article is the fact that Twitter's algorithm could be defeated to create a trending topic based on popularity, not news-worthiness. I couldn't care less about Bieber or Twitter, but I do find it intriguing that a "grass roots" effort could hijack the trending topics on the social networking site. Even if I don't "tweet" my life or even read tweets that often, the news is that Twitter can be manipulated by motivated fans and airheads who have nothing better to do with their time. In an electronic age, it pays to be aware of how and why things become popular. Ask any marketing exec.

May 17, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Katiedid

I'm surprised his fans could outsmart a potato, but really, who cares? Nice to know what some people spend their entire teenage years doing. This really ISN'T news CNN.

May 17, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Boof

Who the hell is Justin Bieber?

May 17, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Sowhat

Hey Mceod, you had to click the link that says "Bieber fans outsmart twitter" under the "Entertainment" Category....so dont be an idiot and if you just want depressing news about people killing or getting killed then stick to the main links.

May 17, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  86. big deal

Alexus, I hope you aren't driving while you are attempting to type into your phone....

May 17, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Frank

What is twitter?

May 17, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Cameron

it would take me all day to individually respond to all these negative comments. It is so sad that you take time out of your day to be so negative and put down an individual. Do you really think anything you say is going to change this boys status in the world, or do you think its going to change what CNN is going to put on their website? You negative people are pathetic. If you dont like Justin Bieber, dont click on his articles, by reading and commenting it obviously intrigued you in some say.
    Another thing that I would love to see not happen anymore is comparing todays top artists/singers to the people that were on top YEARS ago. Music evolves and changes so of course Bob Dylan wouldnt "make it" in todays time. Thats not what is popular and "in".

@Kevin P- You said musical talent is going to "ways"...I think you meant waste but what in the world do you mean by that? Justin is not talented? Have you not heard him sing? If he wasnt talented why would Usher want to do anything with him? Usher has been doing his thing for years now. Just because its not music you like or because its a young male doesnt mean he is not talented.
    You negative condescending people make me sick!

May 17, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Twieber

Twieber is actually a new twitter-like social networking site that Justin's fans created BECAUSE Twitter didn't allow him to trend anymore. http://www.twieber.tk was created yesterday and got so popular that it actually made it onto the TT list.

May 17, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  90. AverseAce

how is this major news...

May 17, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Sweetpie

I,m one of the girls in love with justin bieber

May 17, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Michael

I think mcheod and mcheod's supporters are missing the point of this story's interest. I see it as not so much about Justin Bieber and his popularity, but rather about the Twitter ranking algorithm getting successfully gamed. IMHO, this story would more accurately belong in the Tech section than the Entertainment section.

May 17, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Alexus

justin bieber is hot that why girls like me and my friends like him his very sweet and kind his not like othet singer talk about money and drags his talk about love and what he will do for his girl, friend you know hpow your first kiss ,huge,and girlfriend are boyfriend that what justin biebetr is talk about and hois brave to tell everbody in the world so plz give him a break

May 17, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Nichollete C.

lol im one of those die hard tween girls 🙂
    im also one of the girls tweeting twieber and lovemebieber like all the time!
    haha ily justin:p ♥♥

May 17, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Chris

@ mo

"He is obviously very talented or he wouldn't be making the money he is making"

your thought process is illogical.

"and chances are at age 16, he is making more than most of you will EVER make in your lifetime"

therefore he is immune to criticism?

"Let the kids have their fun and make their money."

the real money is made by the people handling the kids you mentioned, not the kids themselves. Kids don't run around playing and magically rake in millions of dollars. They work for it, and they work in a way that is meant to dupe and manipulate the minds of the young and stupid in america, confusing them into enjoying the terrible product they have created.

"I will be taking four teenagers to Justin's concert in July. And they will be in hog-heaven!!"

I feel bad for you, are you saying going to the JB concert will be like rolling in mud or some other muddy grossness pigs like to roll in? ..we may have found some common ground..

May 17, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Jon

This kid is a huge tool. Like Craftsman tool. And who cares about Twitter? It's not dead yet? Like I really care what Ashton Coutcher had for lunch....

May 17, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Will

Corey Feldman, Hanson, Justin Timberlake, now this kid. Every generation needs some no talent that we'll all forget about in five years I guess...

May 17, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Annie

I have Bieber Fever.

May 17, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Odessa

He's basically the "Hanson Brothers" of the 2010's.

May 17, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Mo

Why does everyone that responds on here have to put this boy down? He is obviously very talented or he wouldn't be making the money he is making, and chances are at age 16, he is making more than most of you will EVER make in your lifetime. First it was Miley Cyrus, then it was Taylor Swift, and now Justin. Sounds like alot of people are just jealous! Let the kids have their fun and make their money. Young people love them. I will be taking four teenagers to Justin's concert in July. And they will be in hog-heaven!!

May 17, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Troll

Its like his hair knows exactly where it wants to go

May 17, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  102. acorbayy

@mcheod this a blog about entertainment on CNN.com. If people want to see the news they can go to the CNN News section and not this entertainment blogs.

May 17, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Bigbill427

He should change his name to Justine..

May 17, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Kevin P

Its OK Joe, Andy Rooney has never heard of him either. He said on 60 minutes the other day he "didnt know why Lady Gaga and Just Beiber were on top of the charts because I have never heard of them." And that he didnt understand why "kids these days dont listen to Ella Fitzgerald." (Who passed away 14 years ago in-case Rooney didnt know.)

I think Just Beiber looks like Alexander Gould from "Weeds."

Maybe they're the same person.

Oh; and as far as music is concerned its total bubble-gum corporate crap today. You have to "fit a mold."

Someone like Bob Dylan would never make it today because he wouldnt fit into a "main-stream mold."

Just think of all the amazing musical talent that goes to ways becuase they woudlnt be "marketable."

Its a shame really.

May 17, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Lili

What a waste of energy, time, and money.

May 17, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  106. dudebro

"Posted by: Kelley L. Carter - Special to CNN"

i wish i had the kind of job that paid me to report about meaningless nonsense. "Now he’s in two top spots on Twitter’s lists, and all is well in the world." No, not all is well in the world. The world is actually worse because of this. WHY DO PEOPLE CARE ABOUT THIS KIND OF CRAP?!

May 17, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Miko

Yes mcheod, yes to everything you wrote. This is what society has come to. Where celebrity was once based on talent, it is now manufactured.

May 17, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Justin (not Bieber_

Mcheod: If you notice, this is not the main Web site, where actual "news" is discussed, rather, this is a blog. This is the place where they put "pop" news. If you don't like it, don't read it. If you want "real news" as you suggest, you might consider their actual news site and not their blog. Just a thought. And besides, it's a nice "break" from the continuous swarm of bad news: war, economy, deaths, missing people, etc. Further, for people like myself, in the marketing industry, this article does bare some value.

May 17, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Aaron

Mcheod, in what alternate universe did CNN not cover something else in order to cover this? They cover all news, and YES, Justin Bieber and Twitter are newsworthy whether we like it or not.

May 17, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

I don't see how a prepubescent pop star and a social networking site are worthy of news. Especially of this type of news. Unless you're a 13 year-old girl I'm not really sure it matters what Justin Bieber is doing, and as a 26 year-old man I really don't care.

June 2, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Todd Gardiner

That's a pretty strong comment for something filed in the Entertainment section of the CNN website.

Because of the importance of movie and music stars to many people in the USA and elsewhere, CNN and other news outlets have a dedicated team of people reporting on just that news. Since the news on "People around the world go missing, or die in armed combat" is reported by other teams, Entertainment news doesn't really detract for more important reporting.

May 17, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Octavio

Mcheod, you realize that everytime you click on a link that "does not even deserve a slot" on this website that you're actually HELPING CNN make money off these kinds of news items, yes?

So keep on complaining, champ!

May 17, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Joe

Ok I am only 32 but who the F*&K is Justin Bieber?!?!?!?!

May 17, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  113. mcheod

How does this even deserve a slot on the website to be considered, "news"? So a bunch of pre-pubescent girls try to keep Bieber's name on a Twitter chart, big deal. Is this what America, or the world for that matter, has come to, that this is somehow more important than other happenings in the world? People around the world go missing, or die in armed combat, but CNN chooses to do a spot on Bieber's popularity? Maybe I just don't get it, and part of me hopes I never will.

May 17, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |