April 21st, 2010

'Idol's' lateness has some 'Glee' fans upset

testing captions
testing captions

You do not want to make the Gleeks mad!

Fans of “American Idol” have long known that the show’s penchant for running long means you need to pad your digital video recorder with a few extra minutes to ensure you catch the whole show.

But Tuesday night’s “Idol” running long by three minutes also meant that “Glee” was late. Those who programmed their recorders to catch all the action of the kids from McKinley High School were sadly disappointed.

“Glee” is known for its big finales, so what did fans do when they missed out on it? They took to social networking to complain.

“Idol” host Ryan Seacrest took notice and posted, “I'm definitely reading ur tweets..so if u DVR'd 'Glee' last night, here's the final scene” along with a link to his website which contains the “Like a Prayer” finale on “Glee’s” Madonna themed episode.

Are you annoyed by “Idol” running over time?

1. Piet

If AI cuts out the love-fest between Ryan and Simon, and gets right to the performers (who are the reason we watch), the show would come in under an hour. Eight singers into 60 minutes...easy math says you can fit their two minute renditions into the allotted time. Ellen even said they were running long and kept her comments minimal. Did the other judges? Not so much! I agree, though...people complain every year and all for naught.

April 22, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Gary

The only two reasons I wanted to watch "Idol" last night was to see Elton John perform and to see who got voted off. Set the DVR...they go 30 minutes long and miss Elton and the results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gee!!!!! They could have cut that lame bit by Russell Brand and Jonah Hill, George Lopez and cut Alicia Keys down and they would have been set. Watched that two hour show and still missed what I wanted to see...the show did good work for raising awareness and money but please...do what you advertise.

April 22, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anthony

The Idol episode for this week was mainly about charity and fundraising for needy people here and abroad. Time for some perspective vs. complaining about Glee.

April 22, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. Bonnie

I was miffed as I had set the DVR but it is what it is...I'm not a fan of Idol at all but I'm always bummed for people if I hear their show got cut off because another show ran over. It's poor planning on the networks. But I'll catch the end of Glee when they run that eppy again this Friday night!

April 22, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. Eneri Rose

How much money do these Idol producers make??? And they can't even time their show correctly!!! Every night we hear the judges tell us they are running out of time. The producers are nincompoops! No wonder their show is loosing viewers. Half the time the show is boring and the other half it's being rushed!!

April 22, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. DMZ

Hey, here's an idea. Just cancel this dumb brain dead show! It has been a vast wasteland long enough.

April 22, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  7. Steve

Running over is done on purpose. It's not an accident by Fox. This leads people into the next show. If you've already missed the first 3-5 minutes of a show on another network, you're more likely to stay on the network you are currently watching. They don't care on bit about those DVR'ing it because they are losing money. They are gaining live viewers to Glee because of AI running late. Simple business stuff.

April 22, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  8. Planet02131

I'm with Miata 94 M and others who've had enough with the poorly managed program. Once again, Wed night, they ran over with a two hour show cutting off the part where someone gets eliminated.

April 22, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bren

Idol shouldn't be allowed to run over. They need to cut them at the time. Do it once and they WILL stay on schedule.

April 22, 2010 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  10. dan

they are re-airing this episode Friday @ 9:00 Eastern 8:00 central time

April 22, 2010 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. dan

for the person that said dump the DVR and watch TV in real time.....well some people have jobs that require them to work in the evenings not to mention other activities

April 22, 2010 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  12. Zorro

Why are they all doing the Nazi salute in the photo, damn weirdo's

April 22, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. Zorro

Call out the national guard, I mean Glee is so important ....NOT.....

April 22, 2010 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joe

Fire these lame producers, Doesn't happen on other shows including other shows with judging.

Why should my DVR get messed up just because idol producers can't tell time??

April 22, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rob J

Boo-hoo.

A live program ran overtime.

Stop with the DVR and watch tv in real-time.

The whole point of network television is advertising money. And when you DVR the programs and you skip the commercials, you"re creating havoc on the whole system. And by proxy causing cable and satellite companies to raise rates, to compensate for lost advertising revenue.

April 21, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. rob

DO NOT HIRE ANOTHER JUDGE. 3 WILL BE PLENTY WHEN SIMON LEAVES

April 21, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jen

thank you, thank you! I love Glee and was upset about missing the ending! Thanks for Ryan for making it easy to get the link to see it! Awesome episode!

April 21, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  18. klash

Nether show was worth 2 cents.

April 21, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Ruth

Um, they're both TV shows. Fun, like 'em both, but not worth boo-hooing about time slots. Get a life.

April 21, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  20. jessica

glee? i actually saw it for the first time and it sucked. bad. more than idol. lethh have a thing-along guyth!

April 21, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Kay

I LOVE AI and have watched every year.....it does at times run over..but hey...everyone already kows this...so for hecks sake adjust your DVR's accordingly! Stop crying already......American Idol will always be a fan fave !!!

April 21, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Angel

Those saying "who cares?", Obviously you do if you are here reading this article.

April 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Rob - Australia

What's Glee??

🙂

With no cable, we have to download it anyways.......

🙂

April 21, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. TV

CNN will just keep censoring me people. Americans quit your fantastical role playing... I can't explain anything on this comment b/c they don't want you to know the truth. Please guys, research how the democrats and republicans are the same. Google the capital words here – FALSE democrat LEFT republican RIGHT federal reserve PARADIGM main stream media... You are being brainwashed

April 21, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  25. slotman

It never seems to amaze me of what people will b!tch about! It's scary to know this younger generation sees the world the way they do and to know one day it will be their finger pressing the button to start an all out nuclear war. I DVR everything with a padded amount of time just because the times are screwed up from one station to the next anyway! On AI I find the judges comments the most entertaining and too any times last night the judges were rushing because of the time constraints. That made for an even more boring show. Won't tune in until the end of the show tonight to see who's been eliminated (I think either Tim, Casey or Mike) as I'm not that in to all the acts they have planned. Go Aaron!!!!!!!

April 21, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Diane

Glee has become my favorite show over American Idol. I don't want to miss a minute of it. Infact, I tape it and watch it over and over again.

April 21, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Vidiot

1) Fox needs to get over themselves and keep to the time slot. They get yelled at each and every time they pull this crap, yet the complaints seem to go in one ear, bounce around their empty skulls and exit out the other ear.
    2) ABC keeps to the time slot each week with their dancing program, so can Fox.
    3) Networks that schedule scripted shows long do just that, schedule them. DVRs that are automatically programed have this scheduled time automatically built in.

I do not watch AI, Glee or Dancing.

April 21, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Raffly

who cares....i watched both anyway....

April 21, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Cindy

Get over it there are people dying in the world and you are worried about Glee, ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous!

April 21, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Brianne

It's completely unnecessary to bash Idol just because you missed something that you can watch 50 million times on the internet the next day. And besides, the "Like a Prayer" performance wasn't that great. There were far better numbers ("Like a Virgin", "Borderline/Open Your Heart", "4 Minutes", "Vogue"). And "Like a Prayer" had NOTHING to do with the storyline. So nothing was missed but a music video that was going to be uploaded in a matter of hours. So stop crying. And be more logical with your DVRs because there's no such thing as a live show that ends on time.

April 21, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Brent Quinn

Haven't you people ever heard of hulu? And regardless of how bad idol is, it brings in the highest ratings. Yes even more than Glee. So FOX would rather run late a few minutes on Glee than cut off a few of idol.

April 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Angel

I think they should just let Idol go. It killed itself this season and it's now overrated. I was FURIOUS that I missed "like a prayer" because I knew that It was going to be the most epic performance of the episode. Thank you, Idol, for always ruining the primetime FOX schedule.

April 21, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Pat

Come on people, how can you edit a live TV show? And anyone who records programs knows enough to extend the time by 10-15 minutes, just in case shows run over.

April 21, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  34. moon627

i dont watch glee but i missed the end of idol so didnt see the end of crystal's song when she apparently broke down crying and i missed the judges comment on her ...ticks me off !!

but Fox / AI is not the only one going into OT – NBC does it all the time ! all of their shows run into each other so using the DVR to record them sux !

April 21, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Head Diva In Charge

I missed the best part because of Idol, first they don't put through Alex Lambert, then they LOVE Lee, now this. Your really getting on my nerves A.I.!

April 21, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  36. ScrapSupply

cant always be happy

check out

April 21, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Matt

Idol is horrible this year anyway. I love Ellen but she and Kara bring nothing to the show. Bring back Paula and get rid of Ellen and Kara.

April 21, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Miata 94 M

American Idol just lost me forever. This is the first season I've been unable to watch. Their inability to manage their time slot - has lost me forever. I will never watch American Idol again.

If I managed my professional (or my personal) schedule the way FOX mismanages their schedule - I would be out of a job. And rightly so. How hard is it to watch a clock and say “We have to move on. now”?

If FOX keeps this up – I can give up on their other shows too. My time is too precious to waste on partial TV shows.

April 21, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Michael

i think that last night's episode was one of the most amazing hours of TV this year. It was awful when the last 2 minutes of "Just Like A Prayer" got cut off – thankfully, I was able to see the whole clip this morning – it was my favorite song from last night's show! http://thesmogger.com/2010/04/21/gleecap-the-power-of-madonna/

April 21, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Lee

Idol is a trash show filled and refilled with no talent that has lived at least five years too long!

April 21, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  41. bonnie j

Thank you Ryan for listening. Hope you aren't just all talk.

April 21, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  42. LISA

Listen to the viewers Idol producers and keep it to its one hour slot! Ever heard of editing????

April 21, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  43. LISA

April 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Lee

Who cares indeed!

April 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  45. S12P12

IDOL needs to get over themselves. They need to keep it to an hour. GLEE is 20 times better than IDOL.

April 21, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  46. amy

it was the same with Fringe last season. Idol sucks.

April 21, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Amy

The judges and Ryan need to SHUT UP and let the show run quickly and smoothly and then we wouldn't have this problem.

April 21, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Dave H

Who cares?

April 21, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Garry Koop

I thought they were going to put Idol on at 9pm so if it ran long it would bleed into the local news and not another Fox program.

April 21, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |