March 23rd, 2010

Top 11 better be heaven for 'Idol'

testing captions
testing captions

I'm not sure that when I think "singing," Miley Cyrus comes to mind.

Given the lackluster talent this season, Cyrus is definitely an interesting choice for the first guest mentor spot. Unfortunately the music industry is more about the flash than the actual chops.

The judges just stepped out, and is it me or is Randy looking much bigger these days? Randy says this is a "big night" and I will resist the urge to be snarky.

Ryan looks excited. Here we go.

1. anita

I hope this is the last season for American Idol. It's really, really tired.
    But of course if Simon leaves and there is another season without him maybe, just maybe American Idol will get cancelled in the middle of the season. Wouldn't that be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 24, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Wendy White

Time for Crystal to go baby. Far too smug for me.
    Maybe another talent search with country flavour would be more suitable.

March 24, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. WHATEVER

who wants to pay to see crystal stand there for 2 hours without moving…come on think about it…we at the top 11 now and she hasn’t moved from the microphone…do you really want to pay money just to see someone stand there all night…with no surprises no wow’s…nothing…just the same damn thin every week…i hope she goes home soon

March 24, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Just A Thought

I think it's funny that people want to bash Miley cause she doesn't have a No 1 single; but she does have 2 No 1 Albums! That;s better than a one hit wonder! Not to mention the #1 albums mentioned above she is also ranked at #4 on Billboards top female performers! Above the precious Kelly Clarkson. Miley was also nominated for a Golden Globe and was Time's top 100 of most influential people!

Miley's success is something most singers/actresses would love to accomplish; and an excellent choice for this show!

March 24, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  5. big buz

like i keep saying big mike has to go .last night comments about his performents cut him down a little bit ????? .he is too much of a show off .thinks hes cool . mike goooooo homeeeeeeee please.

March 24, 2010 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jonalisa

you nailed it ....."lackluster talent this season"

March 24, 2010 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. Robyn

Idol tour this year is going to be a BUST. I agree with Katie's post....I find it hard to think of the 10 that are deserving to be there this year!! When I think back to last year.....Kris, Adam, Danny, Allison, Anoop, Matt, Scottie, heck...even Megan Joy........this season pales in comparison!!! It is such a disappointment and it seems to me that the judges seem to know it--they look quite sullen all the time. Can you even IMAGINE what it will be like next year with Simon gone???? I'm thinking that this MIGHT be the end of the road for American Idol.

March 23, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kimberly

I LOVE LEE

March 23, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mushymushroom

this is funny...If Idol wants an artist who has been a resident in Billboard's no.1 may it be in singles or album charts they could have asked Britney or Black eyed peas do the job for them...these artists are record breakers,

Britney was the only female artist who has a single and album debuted at no.1 at the same time. And she's the only female artist who released albums four consecutive times that debuted in number 1.

Black eyed peas on the other hand were one of the few artist who released a single and stayed at no.1 for more than thirteen consecutive weeks which was Boom boom pow and it only went down to no.2 when BEP released "I got a feeling" which went straight to number 1 after its release. It was a long time ago before an artist had a song both in number 1 and 2 for more than three to five weeks.

So Miley's "Achievements" pales in comparison with these two great acts..

Anyway, Idol; keep the surprise coming...

March 23, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Katie

I wonder if they can tour with 6 or 7. I can't find ten that deserve it.

March 23, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. CW

Miley Cyrus giving MamaSox advise? Please. Crystal is 1000 times better than Miley. What a joke!!

March 23, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. CW

Crystal is wonderful!!

March 23, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Fran

With the many great artists they've had on this show, as a grandmother, I'm actually insulted (shall I say pissed off?) that they'd have a kid whose daddy is the ONLY reason she's where she is, mentoring people more talented than she will ever be. There are WAY too many real talents with real experience out there.

March 23, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Paul B

I only watch for MamaSox and maybe Soybean. Simon really knows nothing about any music that isn't on the Pop charts.

March 23, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Barbara P.

Ooooh, Paige sounded like a nervous high school kid (or like me if I tried to sing in public). It wasn't good. Lee did rise to the occasion. Even Tim has stepped up.

March 23, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Tony

Yeah Miley Cyrus, not a mentor, she is a cute kid, has some good songs that keep my 8 year old interested but not someone I thing these folks should be looking up to or for that matter take singing advice.

March 23, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  17. CW

Miley ? Wow!! Couldn't they find anyone else?

March 23, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Katie

My ears are bleeding. AND I'm even more scared coz Tim is coming up. I only have two ears Idol. . . don't take them out with a one/two punch!!!

March 23, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  19. CW

Paige was awful !!! Yuk!! She needs to go.

March 23, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Yo

Blah. Sounded pitchy to me.

March 23, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  21. ADT

Awesome performance Lee!!! You rocked that song and finally showed that you can actually perform as well.

March 23, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  22. michele

17 year old as a mentor......pulllezeeeeee

March 23, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  23. protogere

Miley is an interesting choice as mentor at any point on this show. Even more so that it is Billboard #1s and she has never had a number one song. Ever.

March 23, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |