March 23rd, 2010

'Idol's' Top 11 takes to the stage

testing captions
testing captions

9:52 p.m. – Note to Siobhan Magnus: lose those big glasses, sweetie.

I feel like she transforms every week from Geek Girl to Funky Woman from rehearsal to performance. And I don't get the hair this week.

And can we have one performance without the screech? She has a good voice and yet I am always ready to pop my fingers in my ears. I DO NOT understand why anyone thinks that note at the end is so fantabulous (that's fantastic plus fabulous, BTW).

Oh, well.

9:42 p.m. – Of course you should be nervous, Didi Benami. Millions of people are watching.

Didi picked Linda Ronstadt's version of "You're No Good" and I'll give it to Didi for trying to work the attitude. It was still a weird choice.

Why is everyone going for these songs that are probably older than their parents?

9:33 p.m. – Are we to believe that Casey James just realized that he is on "American Idol?"

And did Miley's denim shorts get shorter when she mentored Casey? Hmmmmm.

"Power of Love" could have been a crazy cornball song choice. But somehow Casey made it work for him.

He funked it up a bit and it came across somewhat bluesy. Almost like a baby Bob Seger.

Huey Lewis would be proud.

9:21 p.m. – I have probably said this before but Katie Stevens reminds me of singer JoJo in her look and sound.

I liked her singing Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry." The only thing she was lacking was real passion. She just didn't seem like she was connecting with the tune. That could be because she is only 17.

At this point, my expectations are so lowered that as long as people don't come on and pass out on stage, I will probably give them a pass.

9:12 p.m. – Andrew Garcia got all flustered because of Miley. Who knew she had that effect?

It must have spilled over because his "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" was stiff, stilted and a mess.

And did he moonwalk? Come on dude!

They flash on Miley in the audience and she looks like "OMG, this dude is crashing and burning." Or perhaps I am just projecting.

Why old soul music Andrew? Have you lost your mind?

9:01 p.m. –Big Mike Lynche: please stop picking everyone up.

I think I am just going to start referring to Mike as "Big Sexy" because my word! He was courting me with his version of "When A Man Loves A Woman." The judges seemed split on the performance.

He looked really good to me and the song was tight. It was just so manly, smooth, sensual and...let me stop before I get myself in trouble here.

I'll just say he had me saying "My, my, my, my, my, my, my."

8:50 p.m. – MamaSox and Janis Joplin. Sure ya right.

Her version of "Me and Bobbie McGee" was borderline perfect. Crystal Bowersox is so running away with this show this season.

Ellen thinks she is being "stoic" in her performance, but I think she is just doing the darn thing. She may be planning to put the guitar down next week and I can't wait to see that.

Seriously, she could sing standing on her head and still rock the house. Keep on keeping on MamaSox!

8:43 p.m. – It is so cute to watch Miley Cyrus and Aaron Kelly. He should totally ask her to prom.

He doesn't sound bad given the fact that he is sick. If anything, it made his voice sound more mature.

Don't get me wrong: His "Don't Want To Miss A Thing" was far from awesome. But, the thing about Aaron is that he is so earnest you can't help but love this kid. Plus, coming after Tim and Paige this dude was incredible.

That's clearly the key to this season. Try to position yourself after someone who sucks more than you do.

And oh no - Ryan didn't go there and call him David Archuleta!

8:32 p.m. – Four words that make me want to run for the hills? Tim Urban and Queen.

Miley couldn't keep her hands off the kid and gave him a hug during his rehearsal of "Crazy Little Thing Called Love." Let's be honest, the kid has a suga-face and he is all types of adorable.

I was slightly distracted from his singing by his running around the stage and perhaps that was the idea? It wasn't nearly as bad as Pitchy Paige, but even throwing in a little bit of Elvis didn't help.

I'm so bored. Kara is right that the little girls will love it and they are the ones with their fingers ready to text in votes as we speak.

8:20 p.m. – Paige Miles read my hubby's mind by choosing Phil Collins' "Against All Odds."

And how must it feel to have Miley Cyrus call you pitchy? Ouch.

This performance, arrangement, sound, everything was so off. Paige was all over the place with the tone. The countless songs she could have picked - songs that would have showed off her voice - almost anything would have been so much better.

It was super messed up. You know you are messed up when Ellen won't even comment.

And I was Team Paige initially. Dang.

8:07 p.m. – Miley is introduced as a "pop princess." I guess?

She looks like she could be a contestant this season. She is very poised for a 17-year-old. She said the voices this season blew her away. Really?

Lee Dewyze is up first and Miley is really focused on his performance. I think she is spot-on with what she says about his lack of stage presence. He performs "The Letter" and he reminds me a bit of a young Billy Joel for some reason.

I thought he was hot, but Simon didn't. And Kara needs to give Simon a poke for calling her "missy." How rude.

1. Observer

Siobahn has a unique way of expressing her emotional intensity when singing. Not only does she emphasize the passion of the song, but like a true rocker, has the fearlessness to let it out by what some people think is screaming. Believe me, her expressions are well timed, intentional, and uniquely refreshing in comparison to rather dull performances from the other contestants. True artists are recognized for their true artistry, often they are unique and not just copy cats of other famous artists before them. Unfortunately Crystal can only duplicate what other artists have done, and Janis Joplin and other artists she copies were a little before my time. So the crowd who are voting for Crystal, vote for her through sentimental loyalty to their old favorites. Today's music industry is looking for new artists who become famous for thier unique sound and song presentation. Their ability to move you through their singing or screaming. Only Siobahn Magnus has demonstrated that potential over and over again until some of you finally catch up and get it.

March 25, 2010 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. WHATEVER

what really pees me off.....is that simon is playing favourtism with crystal...its unfair to the other contestants........he needs to stop and start being fair to all

March 24, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joshua Weikel

Crystal obviously had the best of the night, but I think Didi came in a close second, she did still seem a little nervous, but also appeared to work through it, I don't know what the judges were thinking. I thought she was dead in the water weeks ago, but somehow kept getting through, but since the top 12 has begun, I think she has been one of the best, though it's not that hard this year...but I think the top 3 this year could stack up to anyone in any other year, except maybe Carrie Underwood...I now place Didi in that category. I'm definitiely on board the Sibhon band wagon, but do agree that not every song needs that big not at the end, yes it's her signature but not every song can incorporate that...if you want to sing big notes, sing songs with big notes. I think she needs to show some vulnerability in a performance, sing a soft, slow song.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I actually liked Aaron's performance...I've been rallying against him all season because he forgot his lyrics twice and still got through...but that was the first time I've ever enjoyed that song when it was performed by anybody other than Aerosmith.

Did not like what Casey did with Huey Lewis...Huey Lewis is the only one who can pull off Huey Lewis...I do love the fact that he said that he like's Miley's dad...I am a huge fan of Billy Ray Cyrus and I think his music career has gotten a bad rap because of Achy Breaky Heart...There are 5 songs of his that are absolute standards for me (Some Gave All, I Know the Words by Heart, She's Not Crying Anymore, Could've Been Me, and Busy Man).

March 24, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Alicia

I WANT to like these people, but they're making it difficult. I told myself last night that I would call and vote, but at the end of the two hours, I didn't see the point. Sad, sad, sad. I just don't care enough to vote for any of them, but inside me I'm secrectly adding "yet" to the end of that thought. Maybe next week ... ?

March 24, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Vallary

I thought it was awful last night. The only one that I thought was 1/2 good was Crystal.... I wish they would step it up. I mean I don't know how a couple of them made it to the top 12 to start with. I hope the show ends when Simon leaves. It needs to

March 24, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  6. Shannon

Crystal, Casey and Lee are the only 3 that truly deserve to release an album.

Although Siobhan has a great voice, I think she'll have problems selling records and connecting to the audience. She reminds me too much of Adam Lambert whom I HATED!!!!

March 24, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. Just A Thought

I think it's funny that people want to bash Miley cause she doesn't have a No 1 single; but she does have 2 No 1 Albums! That;s better than a one hit wonder! Not to mention the #1 albums mentioned above she is also ranked at #4 on Billboards top female performers! Above the precious Kelly Clarkson. Miley was also nominated for a Golden Globe and was Time's top 100 of most influential people!

Miley's success is something most singers/actresses would love to accomplish; and an excellent choice for this show!

March 24, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. ghost9

Mike sang the hell out of that song but if I;ve said it once Idol Judges prove it a thousand times they are not into R&B artist kara would not know a soul ballad if it walked up and slapped her on her butt, She asked Crystal has should thought about losing the guitar. Would she ask Cherl Crow or Melissa Ethrige to lose their Guitars. What a genius.
    Randy must have lost his soulness. I'm so tired of him putting down Black soul singers on this show and then pumping it up for the girl who sang superstition with no feeling what so ever. I won't even mention simon's comments because he has a history of knocking R&B singers on the show. They rarely comment on the singing other then saying it was pitchy or your tone was good or bad. Classic example of what the heck are they hearing was the girl singing Fergie's song. She sounded terrible and has not found the right note yet. They all sad it was great even after admitting she was pitchy and had bad tone but she looked the part of a pop star. Can you say auto tune? This show is the weakest lot of talent I have ever seen. Big Mike And Crystal (the girl who sang Janis Joblin) should be front runners. I can't bare to watch the rest.

March 24, 2010 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jake

Crystal is Jesus reincarnated! The best singer in this entire world!

March 24, 2010 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. AEvangelista

Lisa Respers France: Perhaps you have forgotten that Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" has a screech in it. Siobhan was paying tribute to it. And Siobhan has had two songs with no screech, if you remember.

March 24, 2010 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
  11. sfb

Siobhan is no good. Crystal and Mike are by far the two best this year. Lee is close behind. I can't believe that Paige and/or Katie are going to make ti to the tour and Lilly and Katelyn were sent home. I have no idea what people see in those two. Every week they are dreadful.

March 24, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. Yo

Hey ADT. You forgot Andrew. Not that there is much to remember.

March 23, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rainverm

Crystal, lose the dreadlocks and get some whiting strips.

March 23, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rainverm

Really? Do they really need to take 10 people on tour? There isn't that much tallent there, save some money and time and take 4 people.

March 23, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mushymushroom

I agree. I don't understand why they love Siobhan's shrieking voice. I mean, singing is not just about belting especially if you don't know how to belt. Screaming and belting are two different things.

If Siobhan has that high reange she should learn how to belt NEATLY.

Check out Charice Pempengco and see for yourself how belting is done.

Siobhan you have a wonderful voice, don't ruin it ok.

March 23, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  16. ADT

My order tonight

1. Crystal
    2. Lee
    3. Casey
    4. Aaron
    5. Mike
    6. Siobhan

Tim, Katie, Didi, Paige – they can all go home tonight.

March 23, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  17. The other Kacey

Jeez I lost hearing in my left hear because I did not put my finger in that ear fast enough before Siobhan did her prerequisite screech at the end of each song. PLEEEZ put the screech to bed. It is awwwful. If by chance Page and Tim are voted off together it would be a way to hurry this season along. Let's just get to the top three Crystal, Siobhan (if she bags the screech) and Lee or Casey.

March 23, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. BCS

I agree with Simon....the screaming has got to go! Every song ends with a scream....too much

March 23, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mozart4898

I don't even really know what to say about Siobhan...really, I feel like someone had to put an Adam Lambert reminder in this year. I just don't know if that's gonna work. Is she good...well, I think so. But at the same time...hmm, I just don't know.

And for those who say that people are predictable – when are we going to see Siobhan NOT end a song with a scream? Honestly, she's good, and NO, not many people can do that. But how much do we want to hear that? Regardless, she is, IMO one of the top 3-4 or so.

My order tonight – 1.) Crystal, 2.) Mike, 3.) Siobhan, 4.) Casey...and then after that the next 4-5 are all pretty much the same. Didi, Katie, and Paige are your bottom 3, and Paige goes home.

March 23, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  20. protogere

Siobhan was an amazing way to close the show don't you think? She makes me smile when she performs because she has so much fun and it makes you feel good to see it. I don't like that screech but the rest was a lot of fun to watch.

March 23, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  21. protogere

Man I want to yank that gum out of Miley's mouth.

March 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  22. michele

well Aaron was the only one who did anything for me tonight..the rest were very plain and boring

March 23, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  23. BCS

It is very unfortunate that the contestants have to endure the amount of criticism they are receivng this year! It is the judges who are to blame for these mediocre performances. They have lost their touch when it comes to choosing talented SINGERs. They continue to remind the contestants that this is a "singing" contest, but obviously they did not choose the best singing talent this year...Does anyone else think they kept the wrong room ?

March 23, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jen

I thought Didi's performance was the best of the night! She did something different with the song...more like how Adam Lambert would do with the songs he'd choose. I think more will vote for her than the judges think.

March 23, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  25. protogere

I love Siobhan, I hope she avoids the screeching dying rabbit sounds tonight.

March 23, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  26. willyboy

Simon got it right. She's no good, no good ,no good!

March 23, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  27. protogere

I wasn't floored by her performance by a whole, but man I loved the edgy side of Didi in that song. She had a very odd flat tone tonight which was really weird to hear. I didn't think she was as bad as the judges made out and I'm kind of glad she defended herself.
    Lisa, it IS really odd with fifty plus years of number ones to pick from, most of these guys are picking really dated numbers.

March 23, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  28. ADT

Sorry I left Aaron out of my list because I do think he has potential.

March 23, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  29. ADT

Well, I guess Didi is going to burst into tears any time. I really liked her at the very beginning but again, each week she has gotten worse and worse as the majority of this group has.

Lee, Crystal, possibly Mike, and Casey are about it. Maybe Siobhan will be better but I'm having my doubts.

March 23, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  30. mozart4898

I really don't know how to put it, but to me, Didi just doesn't seem to connect to her song. She wasn't the worst of the night at all but it just didn't seem to feel right. Again, she'll be safe too in the end, but she may be the 3rd one of the bottom 3. (Paige, Katie...Didi?)

March 23, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  31. James S.

Whatever. Where's Adam Lambert?

March 23, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Yo

Oh yeah, and Casey is not that hot. All you women need to breathe.

March 23, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Yo

I agree with Simon. Sounded identical to Huey. Booooooo! This show is horrible.

March 23, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  34. protogere

Casey sounded so much better on the video clip than he did in his stage performance. He didn't go anywhere with the song, he just sang it. He had a snarl in the a cappella bit and he just stood there. Yes, he can play the guitar but I agree with Simon, he had no effort behind that! He wasn't bad, but I don't think he did Huey Lewis proud Lisa.

March 23, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  35. mozart4898

Wow...quite surprised how close Casey comes to sounding like Huey Louis at times. Liking this performance better than what I've heard from him before...I wouldn't have expected this song choice from him but it works.

One critique though, like people (including the judges) have said about others – by always playing the guitar he kinda ties himself down. I think he needs to lose the guitar at some point (and I think that's what Crystal is getting at for next week too).

Ellen and Kara are falling all over Casey I guess, especially Kara. I think Simon goes too far the other direction too. It wasn't BAD, but it was nowhere NEAR the best of the night. Crystal and Mike both killed him.

March 23, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Loray White

@ michelle
    I meant that the contestants weren't creating much excitement, but your comments were generating much excitement that we are lacking this season. At least you are causing us wake up.

March 23, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  37. CW

Crystal is the one to beat. She is way ahead of anybody else. Crystal should win.

March 23, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  38. BCS

Is it my imagination or did the judges choose contestants that reminded them of past contestants: Big Mike-Ruben Studdard, Aaron Kelly-David Archuletta, Crstal Bowersox – Adam lambert, etc. This is not a good year....

March 23, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  39. mozart4898

@ michele – Not trying to start an argument here (as I can tell you pretty much just don't like Crystal) but you know, artists DO generally sound the same from song to song and album to album. It's called their style. And being a musician myself too, I can also say that consistency is a BIG part of performance. You (and people you perform with and for) want and need to know what you're going to be like night after night, rather than just constantly guessing. To me a big sign of someone being a mature artist is when you KNOW what to expect...rather than just wondering what this week will be like...

March 23, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  40. protogere

She's finally a teenager! I am so glad to see Katie being a kid. Maybe seeing another kid in Miley helped her there, I agree with Simon. She didn't sing it that wonderfully, no, but she is finally not sounding so old. JoJo, wow that is a good comparison, she could have covered her song – she only had one number one right with Leave? That would have been a good cover for her.
    On the upside, she's a mile ahead of the worst of the night.

March 23, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  41. willyboy

Katie just made it into the top 10. She is growing as an artist week by week.

March 23, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  42. mozart4898

Hmmmm thought that after having feedback from someone her exact age Katie might have a better idea what to do this week, but that wasn't that good. Totally disagree with the judges that it was one of her best performances...no. I don't agree with them at all. I think that was bottom 3 material – not quite as bad as Paige but probably the next to worst so far.

March 23, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  43. ADT

Personally, I thought Katie stunk big time.

March 23, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Bob S

Time for Katie Stevens to go back to pageants. She is not good and looks like a spoiled rich girl. This little Princess trying to do Fergie. No way!!

March 23, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Loray White

I think Andrew is safe tonight, but his persona on stage right now does not speak "recording artist". Does anyone agree with me that this might be a different show if the "experts" (in this case, the judges) also gave the contestants advice on song choice prior to performance night? Picture the degree of performance if everyone sang a song that was geared to their style, per genre. A different ball game....

March 23, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  46. protogere

I love Andrew but I think he is trying too hard to meet the demands of the judges who keep going back to ONE singular performance and comparing everything he does to it without acknowledging the good in his attempts since. Yes, this was a ridiculous performance but nothing he does seems to please the judges – he does an acoustic remake and it's not as good as Straight Up, he does a rocking song and it isn't acoustic, he does a ballad/gospel song and it isn't acoustic. I feel his pain.
    I really hope he can get a mentor that can help give him direction – I heard a rumour Usher is going to be the mentor next week. He certainly needs some guidance and the judges need to stop holding him up to a standard set by ONE performance.

March 23, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  47. michele

LORAY

what are you talking about.i need to go somehwere????

March 23, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  48. mozart4898

@ Barbara...I don't really see that either of them are coasting, at least not Crystal. I mean, she lit that song on fire. Thing is, she's not into the theatrics and all, she just comes out and sings it. Mike's song was solid, really probably my favorite I've heard from him except like I mentioned about not always needing the falsetto.

As far as Andrew...it's nice to actually hear him come out and sing rather than just being gimmicky. Not bad really, should definitely keep him in it, but not spectacular. Don't really know what the judges are saying to do. And there's "Straight Up" again. I dunno...meh.

March 23, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  49. willyboy

Andy just keeps missing being great every week. This was a poor,poor song choice– he may make it thru this week.

March 23, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  50. michele

mozart..

crystal sounds the same to me week after week after week...

March 23, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  51. ADT

I really have to wonder with all the choices they had why in the world they are picking these songs to sing.

Heard it Through the Grapevine
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love
    When a Man Loves a Woman
    Against All Odds

I really don't get it. There are hundreds of better songs than these to choose from.

March 23, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  52. protogere

Barbara you worded that perfectly – coasting! Though I did think Crystal put some ooomph into her rendition tonight.

March 23, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Barbara P.

I love Crytal's voice, and also Mike's – but it feels like they're coasting.

March 23, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Loray White

if I can finish Lisa's statement – you sure look good tonight!

March 23, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  55. protogere

I didn't particularly care for his performance. It wasn't bad or anything, but it wasn't moving or something I'll remember in another hour.
    Simon's being very catty tonight.

March 23, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  56. mozart4898

Mike was definitely quite good this week – I don't think quite as good as Crystal but they're the top 2 this week so far. I wish he could go a whole performance without the falsetto...I thought we were gonna go without it until the very end.

March 23, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  57. willyboy

Mike is the best male this year. It'll be him and Crystal in the final.

March 23, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Yo

micheal, you betta sing!!!! Sing that song!!!!

March 23, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Loray White

michele, I think you want to create excitement somewhere- even if that place is this blog

March 23, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  60. mozart4898

Lol ok so I guess my original comment got removed even though I didn't ACTUALLY say the word, but in essence, Crystal is definitely sounding the same every week – amazing, week after week. And that's what makes her so great.

March 23, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  61. michele

protogere

truthfully i thought she was better than crystal..aaron is becoming my favourte

March 23, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  62. beth h

go crystol bowersock !! She was great !

March 23, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  63. protogere

Crystal chose Janis – surprised? No! She was nothing less than expected – wonderful! I am so glad she finally did a Janis number because I've been mentally comparing her to Jewel and Janis for weeks and it's nice to hear that mental image come to fruition.
    I am so glad that Ellen brought that to her attention about her charisma and interaction but I think last week she really started showing herself more.

March 23, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  64. ADT

As usual, Crystal is by far the very best that there is this year. Week after week she gets better and better and I happen to agree with Simon – she doesn't need to change a single thing. She is what she is and that's a tremendous singer.

March 23, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  65. michele

i thought crystal sucked.......

March 23, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  66. willyboy

Best performer of the entire season. Crystal is going for top 3 or 2.

March 23, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Yo

Crystal is going to sleepwalk her way to victory and that's sad. She has no competition. she doesn't even have to try!

March 23, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Loray White

Crystal possesses the ease and presence of a professional. She's the one to beat.

March 23, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  69. protogere

Aaron's performance was really good I thought and I didn't notice his voice being that bad really. I always like Mark Chestnutt's cover of that song so I am kind of pleased he picked it.
    I don't know that Randy using his feedback time to rag further on Tim and Paige was really necessary. And Ryan calling him David?

March 23, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  70. willyboy

Best performance so far tonight!

March 23, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  71. mozart4898

Aaron didn't sound too bad – I thought it was gonna be a lot better from the beginning and then it didn't really go anywhere from that, it just plateaued and didn't go farther.

And really I'm surprised they're saying it was such a good song choice – that was risky on his part. That's a big song and I don't know that he has that sort of voice really.

March 23, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Loray White

Better than the first two, but I still haven't heard that Star Quality...

March 23, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Loray White

so right, Lisa.
    Paige?....Tim....? who's voting? -that's who stays...My hunch-it'll be Tim because of those young nimble fingers.

March 23, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Barbara P.

Poor Paige – painful that was to listen to. I didn't think Tim was that good, but maybe it was because he came right after Paige. Lee did a really good job. Gosh, Janis Joplin is coming up? Wonder who will sing that? (ha- MamaSox)

March 23, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  75. protogere

You really liked Paige's performance, Michele? You and I are usually so much more on the same wave length. I didn't hear much in tune except that small bit when she started to finally belt out the song and stood up. And that was short lived I thought.

March 23, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  76. willyboy

another semi-bad performance by Tim. Welcome to the bottom again!

March 23, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  77. protogere

Tim sang that song like it was a ballad or a show tune – it's not. That was just so giddy and silly it made me think of the Partridge Family.
    Wow Kara and Ellen interacting?
    Wow me agreeing with Kara – twice in a night?
    Lisa I couldn't agree more and I'm going to stop hoping he leaves because it's obvious as you said last week, he has more lives than a cat.

March 23, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  78. James S.

Great. The second person this season to besmirch the good name of Freddie Mercury.

March 23, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  79. mozart4898

Tim wasn't that bad really...heck at this point you have to do some comparison and that was quite a bit better than Paige. Unfortunately I could see his fans (and VFTW if he's still their choice) taking him a long ways in the competition – i.e. top 3 or so if he keeps performances like that going here on out.

March 23, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  80. willyboy

Paige just really blew it. Worst song choice ever.

March 23, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  81. protogere

Maybe I am out of my mind but previous mentors HELPED the contestants in their song choice! But then of course with Miley as a mentor, what help can she offer in the realm of song selection?

March 23, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  82. michele

i thought paige did good

March 23, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  83. protogere

Paige needs a pitch pipe. Wow. Granted it got a bit more in key once she started singing belting more, but the whole song was so horrible I can't help but wonder if she'll make it through. She sounded like she was in as much pain as I was listening to her.
    I dislike Kara but she hit the nail on the head with saying she stopped competing. And there were so many OTHER songs she could have chosen!

March 23, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Loray White

Iam so sick of Paige not delivering. She doesn't know who she is and what she wants to sing or how she wants to sing it. Goodbye.

March 23, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  85. mozart4898

Paige = meltdown. I don't think anyone else has to worry tonight. That was absolutely awful...don't even have to listen to what the judges say.

March 23, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Yo

this season of idol is going to go down in infamy.

March 23, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  87. ADT

Lee was awesome as always. Paige is horrible. She started off on the wrong note and it went downhill from there.

March 23, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  88. mozart4898

Really didn't care much for Lee's version of that song. With such a wide range of styles available in Billboard #1 songs, why would you pick a song and then change it SOOOOO much? It wasn't bad but it really seemed kinda...well, Simon basically said it.

And I agree with what people have said about Miley as a mentor. Really? Several of these contestants are far better than she is as a performer – I guess the performance and stage presence thing from having done acting and all, but other than that I don't see what she can offer them musically. Blah...

March 23, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  89. protogere

But Yo, that isn't saying much LoL

March 23, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Yo

Compared to Miley's voice, the voices this season do blow hers away. Maybe that's what she meant.

March 23, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  91. protogere

I loved the horns and jazzy arrangement of The Letter that Lee chose. He is an amazing performer. What a way to open the show too! I think Simon's just in a mood I guess, I thought it was a great song and arrangement. You ask them to showcase what type of an artist they want to be and I think he has tonight and many times before.
    WTH was Ellen talking about? I think she even forgot what she was getting on about halfway through her analogy.
    I said it before, I will say it again – Miley is an interesting choice as mentor at any point on this show. Even more so that it is Billboard #1s and she has never had a number one song. Ever. Her advise may have been better in person than what they showed in the snippet but I feel for these contestants having to listen to her of all people for advise.

March 23, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |