March 23rd, 2010

Carrie Underwood has lost one of her own

Country star Carrie Underwood has suffered a tragedy.

On Saturday, a truck driver carrying stage equipment for the singer's "Play On" tour was killed in a fiery crash on I-95 in Connecticut around 8 a.m., according to the Hartford Courant newspaper.

“This accident has brought much sadness to everyone on the road," said tour manager Geoff Donkin on behalf of Underwood and the entire band and crew on the tour. “We’ve lost one of us and we are all truly thinking of his family. No one ever expects anything like this to happen on tour.”

Underwood's performance at the Foxwoods Casino's MGM Grand Theater in Mashantucket, Connecticut, went on as scheduled, but she did dedicate a tearful rendition of "Temporary Home" to the driver and his family, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Filed under: Carrie Underwood • Celebrities • Music

1. Judy Knight

Susan, I am so....very sorry for the loss of your friend and for his family. I have heard alot of different stories, like you always do in situations such as this, I hope you and his family knows that I, in no way was being insensitive to the loss of your friends life.
    I just could not believe some of the things that were being said.
    I had heard that he was from Oklahoma, and that Carrie had 16 different drivers hired throughout her tour. I am not sure how that works, but I do know one thing for sure, and that is that the whole Carrie Underwood crew and band were very upset. Carrie, is a very emotional person anyway, and this just made her really feel bad.
    I do wish you, and the family of the driver all of the very best!
    My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in your time of sorrow.
    As I had said in an earlier post, I do know what it is like to lose a loved one. I have lost my Dad, brother, and my sister, all way too young.
    I only have my son and my Mother left in my family.
    Please give my regards to the drivers family and may the hands of God comfort them like no other.
    Judy Knight

March 26, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Jerald

Haha, Judy, you were just put in your place by Susan. Do you even realize how many times you repeated yourself in every single one of your posts? All you kept posting is repeats of what you already said, just in a different form. You act like since you're from OK you and Carrie were best friends. You clearly don't know as much about her as you thought. Come back with better arguments next time, you didn't cut it this time.

June 3, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. Susan

Judy, you are right about some things, mainly Chris being insensitive. The driver was a friend of mine. He lost his life doing what he loved. He was not on Carrie's payroll and she did not hire him. He worked for the best entertainment trucking company in the world and they are grieving his loss because he was an exceptional employee. He loved that company! His picture was unavailable because they had not yet identified his body. They now have. Although he called Oklahoma home, he was actually from Kansas which is where his funeral will be held. Carrie did NOT get him his job, nor personally know his family. However, she showed great compassions to his memory and his family following this terrible tragedy. For most tours, the pros that make the show happen are family. Carrie's is no different. In addition to Carrie, he worked for several other artists and was loved by all who knew him. Thanks to all of you who wrote kind things. I know that his family appreciates your compassion in their time of need.

March 25, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cornelius

i agree with josh if gods says its time to go its time to go so Carrie dont be so down just thimk on the bright side he's in heaven with the holy father and remember he loves

March 25, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joshua

My thoughts and prayers go out to the drivers family and Ms. Underwood. I love you Carrie, may your driver rest in peace.

March 25, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joshua

I agree with Judy I mean no one can blam Carrie for this loss. I mean come on she paid the man to drive her to her concerts and, again I agree with Judy it was his time, God took him for a reason. Everyone on this page should not even think about blaming this terrrible loss on Ms. Underwood this loss was no ones fault it was just his time.

March 25, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  6. Judy Knight

Daquari, I know exactly how it feels to lose a loved one. I have lost my Daddy at age 70, brother-56, sister-60. Don't tell me that I don't know what losing a loved one feels like. I fought for my brother and sisters lives for months everyday of my life due to cancer.
    My loss has nothing at all to do with the family of this driver, but just for your information I do know all about hurting and death, and I also know alot about Carrie Underwood.
    This article involves her because the driver, whom has not been identified to the public as of today, was employeed by Carrie and from her home state of OK. I happen to live in Oklahoma myself, where we do know how to treat people and we do have feelings.
    I just think it was very uncalled for people to bash Carrie, just because they showed her picture She had nothing to do with the article or his untimely death, but she does care, because she is a very caring person.

March 24, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Becca

I was at the concert in CT. It was a beautiful tribute and very emotional. If she knew him personally or not, she still had compassion for him and left the stage visibly upset before the song ended.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

March 24, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Judy Knight

Rambeaux,
    I get this article just fine!!! I stated the reason they did not show a picture of Carrie's truck driver, NOT bus driver, was because they have not released his name, due to next of kin! What in the world is wrong with showing a picture of Carrie Underwood, when this article does involve Carrie in every way. She has hired these drivers and he is from her home state, as am I. I feel quite sure that she knew him and his family and you can bet this is bothering her alot.
    Carrie, is the most caring, and giving, true to her roots girl you will ever find.
    I am quite sure that when the mans name is released and they have a picture of the driver they will certainly wish him and his family the very best.!
    The crew members, and band members are all very close to Carrie, and they are like family.
    I feel so sorry for the man that passed away, and I also would like the family to know that my thoughts and prayers are with them throughout this difficult time.
    Carrie, dedicated her show to him and could not even sing her latest single, saying "this song has taken on a whole new meaning for all of the crew members and band members and myself." She so graciously told the audience about the accident and then proceeded to try to sing Temporary Home, and by the time the 3rd verse got around she was bawling. She dedicated that song to the driver and his family.
    There are people on this website actually blaming Carrie, for having too much stage equipment and that is why he died. We all know that is not in anyway close to the truth.
    The man died because it was his time. God, called him home and he is no longer in a temporary place!!!
    My thoughts and prayers go out to this family,
    Judy

March 24, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rambeaux

I see they removed Mr. Herectus' comment. CNN is whack! They can't handle constructive criticism!

March 24, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rambeaux

Daquari,
    I agree with Mr. Herectus. You and Judy don't get it. You are emotional vs. readers of cnn.com. Chill out. This article is way out of line to discuss Carrie (love her music) but she isn't the victim. The family of the bus driver is. Stop making this about your opinion on how people should act. How is someone a jerk for keeping it real about this being a poorly written article? CNN – stay on the topic, not the celeb.

March 24, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Herectus

Judy Knight,

They have a point. You wrote, "How in this world could ANYONE try to blame this wreck on Carrie". First of all, Damia did not state that. She was not being rude or out of line. To question the writers and photgraphers about this article isn't crazy. To show Carrie's photo when this story isn't about her is odd.

March 24, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. daquari

Thoughts and Prayers are with the drivers family, friends and co workers... May God's Peace help you thru this difficult time.

*putting myself in others shoes* I thought this article was about a driver who lost his life while working for Carrie Underwood.. Not about what a jerk Chris and damia are!!!!* which I believe is true* Many people do not understand death.. it's clear they do not nor do they respect the grief people have over the loss of a loved one, friend and co worker. shame on you hopefully one day you should find out...

March 24, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. Judy Knight

Damia, The reason there is not a picture of the man that passed away, is because all they know is he was a 40 yr. old man from Oklahoma, and due to his family they have not released is name yet. That is, as of yesterday. That is why!!!!!!
    I happen to live in Oklahoma, and Carrie did know the driver and his family the way I have heard the story. She is most upset about this as are all of her crew and band members.
    How in this world could ANYONE try to blame this wreck on Carrie. She pays her employees very wel and it was his responsibitlty to be the driver. They are still investigating this accident and he was burned badly and dental records wil be the source they use to find out his identity. I think you and Chris, have been so rude, and totally out of line!!!! If you have nothing nice to say about someone, keep your mouthes shut and say NOTHING!!!!!!

March 24, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  14. Gem

Chris has his head in rectal defilade !!!!! My prayers go out to the family as well as to all in Carrie's tour group.

March 24, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  15. Gem

Chris,

Get your head out of rectal defilade !!!!!

March 24, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  16. Cornelius

Carrie hope all your troubles go away and dont worry about chris as from what i heard he sounds like a complete dumb@##. but all my prays goes to you and the family and dont let nothing hold you down. REAL TALK

March 24, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  17. Joshua

My prayers go out to Carrie's family and band. May God follow you and help the feelings your going through.

March 24, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  18. damia

Chris..I agree with you! There is no picture of the driver. Just of Carrie. Poor choice. The prayers and respect should go to the family...not the singer. She's living and is okay. All of you GARY STELLA LAURI FRED – you all have NO clue!

March 24, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  19. edward

Chris you are an idiot and your comments prove that

March 24, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  20. jackie

oh yeah and carrie wasnt a semi finalist she won .... idiot !!

March 24, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  21. jackie

are u kidding me better than you ..how can u blame simon for making her a winner thats so stupid ...get over all of u he passed away and god takes people for reasons ..may he rip and carrie go on and sing and perform ..she is a caring indvidual im sure she has taken care of that truckers family in more ways !! so knock the crap off with all the sarcastic smart ass comments ..!!!!!

March 24, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  22. AMR in NJ

Yes Chris, car accidents happen all the time and we should expect them- we should all be 100% prepared to die every time we leave the house and expect to be in an accident? Please.

March 24, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  23. Justasec

Chris,
    What a completely asinine comment. Have a little compassion. None of us knows how close they were, but it's a tragedy anyway. Maybe they were good friends. So you should plan for car accidents to happen? Like it was his fault for not planning to be killed that day? Also, this is the Entertainment section, so if you want "news" try another section.

March 24, 2010 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  24. Dedichka

Such a sad thing to happen. No one really thinks about all the effort and time someone "behind the scenes" puts in to make such a show happen. I'm sure Ms. Underwood is grieving as well. Whether she knew him personally or not, it's still someone's life and my heart and prayers are with his family.

March 24, 2010 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
  25. Adam

First, STOP ATTACKING THIS ARTICLE IN A BAD MANNER!
    If you don't like this article, just switch to another link, no one force you to read and waste your time.
    If you feel like nothing, don't post any comments, and what the heck to mention Simon Cowell...
    DOES YOUR BRAIN GROW FROM BUTTOCK ??!!

March 24, 2010 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
  26. B

Teabaggers are still protesting Chris, shouldnt you be out there with your comrades...

March 24, 2010 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
  27. kathleen conlin

So sad for your loss...Being an ER nurse and praying for less accidents on my way to see my twin sister who broke her neck, but was not paralyzed i prayed for whoever hit that bridge i just knew..but god lifted him from there i could feel hope as i drove threw...but felt a loss as we do....i will pass that area many times in the next years and remember

March 24, 2010 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  28. Sidney

To all: it's a life that was lost no matter what, a life was lost. Show a little respect.

March 24, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  29. Judy Knight

Rob J, I think you are very wrong. This driver was a man from Oklahoma, and she very well could have known him and his family, but even if she didn't I know how very emotional and Carrie is and she hated this happening so much. She is a wonderful caring person and believe me this did bother her alot!!!

March 24, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  30. Shane's Mom

First, prayers for the immediate family as well as the band, road crew and Ms. Underwood. This story sends pain through my heart as my oldest brother is on tour up to 10 months a year with various artists. My family and I worry endlessly about his well-being no matter if he is in flight or tour bus. And yes, they do become family on the road. The talent DOES know the crew...and they do care about each other. Godspeed Mr. Driver. May you rest peacefully in Country Heaven!

March 24, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  31. Judy Knight

Chris, I think you should stop and put yourself in anothers place, before you make such a rude remark. I know that Carrie, is one of the most caring and emotional young ladies I know.
    This was very heartfelt, and from the bottom of her heart. She could not even sing her new single Temporary Home, that she dedicated to him and his family that night. She simply broke down and there is nothing fake about this one classy lady,
    The crew, band, and the artist all get very close over the months on these tours.
    How would you have felt, if that had been a member of your family???
    You need to stop and think before voicing your opinion!!!

March 24, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  32. Better Than You

This is all that damn Simon Cowell's fault.

If Carrie Underwood never got picked as a semi-finalist by Simon Cowell, Carrie Underwood would never have won Idol. And then never been successful. And never gone out on tour. And this driver would still be alive today. How do you sleep at night, Simon?!

March 23, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Rob J.

I know Chris' comment sounds pretty callous.

But realistically speaking, he's probably right.

March 23, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  34. josh

chris- is an ignorant bastard...enough said! My prayers go out to the truck drivers family and friends

March 23, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Michelle

Looks like Chris got the attention he wanted,,almost everybody on here commented to him and what He said.

March 23, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  36. jkwmom

It appears to me that Chris has an extraodinary need for attention. Perhaps he wrote that insensitive comment just so people would pay attention to him. What do they say about children? If they don't get the attention from behaving they will get it from misbehaving. Perhaps his mommy didn't give him enough attention. Oh, bad me. Was I being sarcastic and misbehaving here? :0)

March 23, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  37. kathy and john price

We are so sorry for the lost of you driver. Our hearts and prayers go out to his family and to you and the rest of you road family.He will be a real good truck driver for God. God called another angle home.

March 23, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  38. shell

If you saw the video of Carrie breaking down in tears while performing after she told the audience about the driver's death you would know she truly cares. Even if she didn't know him well I'm sure she feels a responsibility to him and his family because it is her tour and is deeply saddened by his passing.

March 23, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Jen

Chris, if you don't care and you think Carrie Underwood cares, then why are you even wasting your time to comment. If Carrie Underwood is anything like most of the Country performers out there, she definitely cares. They unlike a lot of performers, care incredibly about their fans and their crew. Chris is just another ignorant jerk living among us. Probably gets great pleasure in making people upset.

March 23, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  40. LB

Prayers to carrie and the mans family, and chris you are one peice of junk and i agree TLC he does need to try chipping off the ice on his heart if he even has one.

March 23, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Diane

i am so sorry for everyone who knew this man. im sure he was a wonderful person inside and out. god bless u and his family.

March 23, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  42. viki

I think Chris needs to get hit by a big truck

March 23, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Dave

Chris is an ignorant idiot. I've been on the road with several bands for months at a time and everyone gets to know each other, sometimes even a little "too well". Road Crew people are some of the hardest working, most dedicated people around, and I can assure Carrie knows that without them she would be sitting on the edge of a very dark, very quiet stage. What right have you got to be "offended" anyway. You've got a mouse in your hand (and probably something else as well), click it and go away.

March 23, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Marj

Chis let me put this in a way even YOU could understand...you are an ass!&^#. You should be ban from public speaking, emailing, typing, texting, phone calls and any contact with other human beings...PERIOD!!!!!!!

March 23, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Roy Mabe Jr.

Sorry for your loss Carrie and will be praying for the family of the man who died.

March 23, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  46. JA

OK, you do realize it wasn't actually Carrie driving the truck, right? Your prayers should be directed to the driver's family....

March 23, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Sheri

Chris ....u are a very insensitive person....Why don't u take a look at your life before you respond to someone else's...Prayers go out to you, carrie underwood and her staff and the man's family....cuz guess what CHRIS ...you need them just as much

March 23, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Nancy

Right on, Anna and TLC . . . my prayers are for Chris's black heart. If Chris doesn't like the news CNN.com reports, he's under no obligation to read it . . . and much less to comment.

March 23, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  49. dt

we love you Carrie and we wikk be parying for you

March 23, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  50. dt

i a m sorry for your lost carrie and your fans will be praying for the family of the victim and you and the rest of your band that you all get home to your families safe and sound your fans love you Carrie

March 23, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  51. stella

chris – what world do you live in? when you work together like these people do, you become one. how thoughtless of you to make such generalities.

March 23, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  52. C4

Well said Anna & TLC. Thoughts and prayers to the family and Carrie's crew. So sorry for the loss. The show must go on!

March 23, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Garry

Chris,
    very cold comment to say concerning this man's death. If you don't think it was "newsworthy" then why did you click on the "ENTERTAINMENT SECTION" and read it??
    I am sure she is upset as anyone would be over this man's death, and you don't know if she knew him or not, you "assume" she didn't thus the rude comments.
    Prayers go out to his family and friends (which may have included Ms. Underwood)

March 23, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  54. damia

This is sad, but why are they showing HER face instead of the victim? We don't know who he was and would like to see a picture of him, not her.

March 23, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  55. damia

This is da, but why are they showing HER face instead of the victim? We don't know who he was and would like to see a picture of him, not her.

March 23, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Laurie

This is my first time commenting, but I am so tired of people like Chris! Sympathy, empathy, either of those mean anyting to you? Jeez, I'm happy that you weren't offended by the brief story!

March 23, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  57. fred

Chris, you are a bore.

March 23, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Lori

It's reported because it's news. He was part of her crew, regardless. and futhermore, how does one PLAN for a car accident? Enlighten us!

March 23, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  59. celeste

oh come on. it's on the "entertainment" section of the site. and carrie underwood is an entertainer. does that help clarify it for you? lighten up.

March 23, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  60. sheppard

Well, Chris – then stay off the Entertainment page if you don't want to read about entertainers and their lives – very simple.

March 23, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Vikkie

Chris – You ARE in the 'entertainment' section of CNN... How serious do you expect the reporting to be?

March 23, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  62. TLC

Chris:

You've obviously never been out on tour for anything. I have news for you...EVERYONE becomes tight. From the road crew to the drivers to the talent. So before you level your bitter tirade at Carrie Underwood for expressing sympathy for the loss of one of her road family and showing a little heart, try chipping the ice off yours.

March 23, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Anna

to Chris..how mean you are...this might not be important to you but I bet this is important to the man's family...you have no compassion.......my prayers go out to the family & friends of this man

March 23, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Chris

I'm sure Carrie Underwood is mourning the loss of a truck driver she said hello to once. After all, he trucks around stage equipment, they were probably best friends.

you never expect this to happen on tour? There are many instances of tour buses and truck drivers in general crashing and dying. You should actually plan for car accidents, they happen!.

I am not offended necessarily, but I don't know why this is reported on cnn.com as important news in any way shape or form.

March 23, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  65. gary raughton

I prayer for you all.

March 23, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  66. gary raughton

Sorry for the lost for the family and the band and carrie Underwood. My prayers are for you all god will give confort to you.

March 23, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |