February 3rd, 2010

Still 'Lost' after all these years

Nestor Carbonell Terry O'Quinn of ABC's 'Lost'
Nestor Carbonell Terry O'Quinn of ABC's 'Lost'

Well, we were promised answers to five seasons worth of mysteries of "Lost," and Tuesday night's season premiere gave us that - with a heaping helping of more questions to come with it. Yes, this is the same old "Lost," and just like every season premiere there's always at least one big reveal that will make you channel Hurley and say, "Dude."

First and foremost, we now know what happened after a dying Juliet set off a bomb after "the incident"... sort of. The castaways were all sent back into the present day, with what was left of the hatch after Desmond blew it up. Both Sayid and Juliet were still dying. I'm not sure if it quite worked for Sawyer to find Juliet in her last moments after they already shared such a memorable goodbye last season. Juliet (through ghost whisperer Miles) did give us the first of two statements that will continue to leave "Lost" fans' heads scratching: "It worked."

What worked exactly? Well, you see, the plane never crashed. And the island is under water. That would be the "big reveal," and boy was it a stunner. It was pretty remarkable to see what would have happened had the plane not crashed, especially Jack meeting Desmond and Locke prematurely (and just as soon losing track of Desmond - unstuck in time again?). And fascinating to see Hurley explaining that he's extremely lucky - after all, if there was no hatch, there were no numbers to "curse" Hurley.

Meanwhile, the Man in Black, having taken the form of John Locke has used Ben to kill Jacob, who just before dying made another key statement, "They're coming."

Could "they" be the denizens of the temple, which we finally see after the ghost of Jacob tells Hurley to take Sayid there? When they learned that Jacob was dead, it was time to batten down the hatches, while Sayid woke up asking what happened. Great question.

Some quick thoughts:

– So that's what happened to flight attendant Cindy and the kids: They're living in the temple, and they appear to have adapted well over the years.

– Well, the smoke monster mystery is finally solved: It's the Man in Black, who has taken various forms of dead people, and that currently includes Locke. How terribly sad to hear that Locke really is dead and gone, and the Man in Black didn't think too highly of him, nor of Richard Alpert, whom he knocked out and dragged away once he left the statue. He's also not a big fan of ashes, either.

– Where is Christian Shepard's coffin in this new plane crash-less reality? Last we saw him, he was supposedly filling in for Jacob, buddy-ing up with... his daughter Claire, whom we finally saw briefly making an unwitting getaway with fugitive Kate.

– Oh, and how is it that they're on the island in the present, yet the plane didn't crash and the island was underwater in 2004? My best guess: the bomb split the space-time continuum into two pieces.

That's plenty of theories from me for now. Let's hear yours! Did this season premiere deliver enough answers for you? Share your thoughts on video or in the comments below, and check out what iReporters had to say about it here and here.

Next entry »
  1. Chad

Wow, I am so glad I stopped watching halfway through the second season when it just got silly.

Between the butchering of Star Trek and the developments of lost I'm worried for Fringe.

Comparing Lost to The Dark Tower is like comparing a rock to a dog in companionship.

February 3, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Stefan

That was a great episode. Besides the first half of the 3rd season the show has been nothing but great. Last night proved that the writers do indeed have a plan that is going to tie everything up yet keep people guessing until the final episode at the same time, and that is the way it should be.

February 3, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Claudine

I love reading everyone's theories. But I still wonder what women not being able to have babies on the island has to do with the "big picture." Anyone care to take a guess?

February 3, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. KasieK

Where is Michael and Walt on the plane that lands in LA?

February 3, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. J

JULIET'S STATEMENT: I think "It worked" referring to the bomb is too obvious. I wonder if she is actually referring to her work as a fertility specialist on the island, and perhaps she was trying to tell Sawyer she was pregnant....

February 3, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lostfromthestart

And for answers to these and all your questions, google Sledgeweb's lost stuff. I don't run this forum, but am just one of thousands of users whom pose and answer questions while we should be tending to our paying jobs. But hey, this show pulls you in, screws with your mind, and spits you back out again with more questions then you began with. In other words, its great! Join the fun before its all over next May!

February 3, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Emily

Okay... If the Man In Black is the smoke monster...

1. Why did he kill Mr. Ecko?
    2. Why was Ben able to "signal" the smoke monster to arrive and fight for them when their village was under attack by Whitmore's military people?

February 3, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Maria

Just a thought-If the bomb did go off, the characters could actually be dead! Therefore, the characters on the Island are dead, but the scenes from the plane happened before they all died.

February 3, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. elaine

so is Richard good or evil

February 3, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Maria

I think Jacob came back in Sayid's body!!! I LOVE LOST! What an amazingly witty show!

February 3, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ahamay

Another Stephan King reference is at the end of the Stand Randall Flagg (Man in Black) arrives on and island. His new name is Faraday

February 3, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lena

This show is so much fun! I found my heart beating so fast last night when it began. I may not always know what is happening, but I love it anyway!!

February 3, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. John

Why why why are there so many commercial breaks? Did anyone lese find that annoying? It's like watchiung SNL towards the end whem they just don't have the material to fill 90 minutes and so we must suffer through short segments separated by commercials. After 90 minutes of this I almost turned it off. ALmost.

February 3, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Scott T.

I never watched the show LOST until stumbling across it in Hulu. Watched all seasons this fall and enjoyed it, though it can be frustrating at times to understand. The opener last night created more questions than answers. One item I didn't see mentioned was that Desmond appearing on the plane could be Jacob reaching out to Jack to make inital contact in that reality. The first few episodes this season will probably continue to be vague to lead us along to the final plot.

February 3, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Diggity Dave

The episode was called "LA X". Not "LAX" as in the Los Angeles airport, their destination, but LA with a space before the X. Science Fiction writers, for example, when creating an alternate reality, use X, as in "Earth X" or the like. This tells me that both scenarios are in play, in alternate realities. The purpose of this? I'm not exactly sure yet, but it's interesting.

I am hoping Locke comes back to life at some point. The island did seem to favor him, and he was so popular that it's not out of the question. I think a group of The Others was also banned from the Temple for some reason, as I always saw Richard and his group living in the outdoors. Very, very intriguing. Great start to the season, and I can't wait to see more!

February 3, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  16. cenobiteme

My theory is Sayid has now been resurrected as Jakob, that's why they wouldn't lift him out of the jacuzzi of sweet tea inside their temple until the sand ran out. There are two realities going on at once since the nuke went off. The current reality and the reality where the plane never crashed. Since Desmond appeared in the reality where the plane didn't crash and never returned to his seat, he will be the link between these two realities as he is the only character capable of jumping between time streams.

February 3, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jason

I saw an interview with the producers yesterday and they said the alternate reality that is shown is a "flash sideways"

February 3, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  18. CAG

Quote: "The Marquee Blog should have posted a "Spoiler Alert" on the top of this article for people who haven't seen the show yet. Especially since it reveals the big secret with Locke. The whole show built up to it and I can't imagine the letdown people are going to feel after reading this blog."

The show was last night. If you didn't see it, why are you even here? By the way, if you still haven't seen Gone with the Wind, be sure to stay away from imdb. You might run across some spoilers there, too.

February 3, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Rick

Did anyone notice how Sayid looked with his arms spread straight out when he was removed from the water, and then a while later he rises from the dead. Definitely some religious symbolism going on here.

Does Jacob now inhabit the form and body of Sayid? He indicated it was very important that Sayid be taken here for the resurrection.

February 3, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dave

So the temple waters heal an injured person and they come back to life when they are dead?

Wait till Sawyer finds out. He'll be out in the jungle digging up Juliette, and running to the temple with her so fast, it'll appear to be another bright flash!

And then, when they find out about Locke's body on the beach, they'll go bring him back to the waters, too.

Widmore is probably on Esau's side (the "man in black"), so the big Widmore/Ben Linus war is going to be ON!

February 3, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  21. bk

The writers have established certain stipulations, including: dead is dead. And, what's done, is done. Also, Faraday pointed out that you can move forward and backward on the timeline, but you cannot create a new line/path.

Last night it was stated in no uncertain terms that Sayid is dead. And so he is. (I guess, though, one hint of doubt - Miles was sitting there, looking at Sayid's body, and shaking his head.... perhaps he wasn'st convinced he was dead?) Juliette's dead for sure.

Also, I can see how the bunch in the 70's, still decked out in Dharma jumpsuits, are at one place on the timeline, and the passengers of the Oceanic, flying over a sunken island on their way to LAX, are at another point in the timeline. But, two separate realities/timelines? That goes against Faraday's statements, and though I'm not a physicist, I believe it may violate one of the laws of thermodynamics - which states that 'matter cannot be created or destroyed'. If the writers are remaining scientifically consistent, can two Sawyers, or two Jacks or two Kates exist at the same time?

(that being said, I'd be happy if there were a hundred Kates, but then i'm not one of the writers).

February 3, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Kevin

I am intrigued as ever by this first episode of "Lost" last season. I look forward to more smoke and mirrors and questions and answers in future episodes leading up to a finally that will surely excite many but, disappoint many as well!

February 3, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jo

Desmond on the plane: He shows up in the seat next to Jack when they fly over the area where the island was and after they've passed the spot, he's disappeared again. Hmmm....

The tail section: We still don't know what happened to the people in the tail section. That doesn't mean they weren't on the plane. Remember, we didn't know about the tail section (Ana-Louisa, Mr. Eko, Libby, etc..) until a few episodes in.

Richard: With the "in chains" comment – was he in the gallows of the Black Rock and maybe sold his soul for immortality and freedom? There is obviouosly a relationship there between him and MIB.

Kidnapped kids: somebody mentioned it above – they are in the temple with the flight attendant. We saw them.

Bernard and Rose: MFEO – pure and true love – nothing/nobody can touch that. 🙂

Doc Artz – loved seeing him again! Sadly, I still laugh about it.

Question: who/what is the significance of the guy who was leaning/sleeping on Locke's shoulder in the plane?

February 3, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. LG

Put "Fantasy Island," "Star Trek," and mind-altering drugs into a blender...and you have "Lost."

Maybe it only makes sense if you're stoned.

February 3, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  25. AnnaMarie

By the way "I h8te Lost but I used to Love it" did you not notice the "spoiler alert" at the very beginning of this article right under the picture, right before you start reading these very words: [Editor's Note: You know the drill by now. If you haven't seen this episode of "Lost" yet, DON'T READ ANY FURTHER.]?

February 3, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Not So Lost

WHY do people like Mark and Rich here insist on calling the bomb an atom bomb? The bomb on the show is a hydrogen bomb, commonly referred to as the H-bomb, which is DIFFERENT than the A-Bomb in both how it reacts and the quantity of energy released. Please pay more attention and don't criticize the writers of the show if you can't do so without displaying your own deficient education.

February 3, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Cara

I believe that the separation between the "what would have happened with no island" reality and the temple dweller "reality" is a sign of what's to come. If you remember the stewardess (as a temple dweller) said they were on the "first flight" of Oceanic..meaning they are now on the island from a second flight. So I believe the bomb worked in a sense that flight 815 isn't going to crash but, as Lost likes to emphasize, you cannot deny or stop fate. They were meant to be on the island and were making their way there slowly but surely, if not through 815. So I believe the temple dwellers and that "reality" is sometime in the future.

February 3, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  28. NeighborofLocke

Did anyone ever catch last season where Jack went to see his grandfather to get his father's shoes, his grandfather referred to Kate as, "Freckles".... A red herring, or more, perhaps?

February 3, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Hooboy

Smokey doesn't inhabit the bodies of dead folks – he takes on their appearance.

Just because we didn't see certain characters on the "new" plane, doesn't mean they weren't there necessarily, just that they weren't shown. Maybe they haven't been shown yet, or maybe they aren't there (which seems likely for Anna Lucia, since that actress left on bad terms).

It is hilarious that Desmond "disappeared" – maybe he did, or maybe he just went back to his seat for landing (overhead luggage would be where he was originally sitting), or to the bathroom... How many times have we made assumptions based on the few facts shown, only to be given more information later that shows we made erroneous assumptions!

February 3, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Micheddy

An endlessly fascinating puzzle that keeps ahead of viewers, and that alone makes it superior network programming. Nothing about it is easy, predictable, or ordinary. I trust the writers and creators to know exactly what they are doing and that they will give us the satisfying ending we await. That doesn't mean it will be what we expect or want. Nice to see Boone again, by the way. I will miss Juliet more than any other character who has been ... lost ... during the series.

February 3, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Charlie

Here's my theory: Jacob is taking over Sayid's body. Why else was Jacob so concerned about Hurley taking Sayid to the Temple and saving his life. And Sayid was clearly dead. So I'm thinking Jacob just jumped into his body. The fight with the Man in Black goes on!

February 3, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  32. H

I was enjoying the show until the temple community showed up. Whenever the plot gets mucky, it seems the writers take the easy way out by throwing in another mysterious group of people to either divert attention or give them more leeway. Next thing you know, the Brady Bunch will appear in a new hatch. Also, the special effects were HORRIBLE and cheezy. I felt like I was watching Land Of The Lost instead of Lost.

February 3, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  33. NeighborofLocke

Duuude! Sayid is dead! Remember what Ben said, "Dead is Dead". Sayid is none other than the re-embodiment of Jacob. Why else would Jacob want Hurley to take Sayid to the temple?

February 3, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Stephen

I gave up on "Lost" long ago. The story line has always seemed like they put 12 people in different rooms, each writing a few pages. Then they threw it together and started filming. I love a mystery and drama, but this show gives me a headache. I tried watching for about 20 minutes and gave up. Bye bye Lost.....

February 3, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Kathy

I think we are watching Jack's dream. Hello Dallas!

February 3, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  36. AnnaMarie

Question to all of you who hate this show and are glad you stopped watching it back when . . . . why did you read this article if you are not watching it anymore? Oh, one more thing, obviously you did watch it last night so the question is, again, why? If you don't like it, are not into it, go away. There are plenty of us who have watched it from the beginning and will to the end. To each his own. So get "lost."

February 3, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  37. I love LOST

The plane ride is the present and it doesn't crash- the island scenes are flashbacks and will lead up to how they come to be back on the plane again.

February 3, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  38. eph201

I kinda agree with Sean – my feeling is that when the Losties die on the Island their consciousness will "awake" in the Parallel universe created by the h-bomb... so in the end they will have known what had happened but without it having happened...

It could create interesting storylines – Juliet could be somewhere looking for Sawyer in the "no island" universe... ?? just an idea.

February 3, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  39. MO

I've been a Lost fanatic since the beginning, and It's still the best show on TV by far. When it was initiallt theorized that this island was possibly "purgatory" I thought it interesting, but at the time (back around season 2,) I refused to settle on that as the ultimate outcome. However, with how increasingly religious the show has gotten, and this whole showdown between good and evil, jacob and MIB, I'm starting to believe that this island is indeed purgatory in a sense. The survivors are on the "island" to change, whether it be for better or worse. Whether they change for better or worse is the determining factor between "heaven" and "hell" for them. Jacob and MIB are not only fighting for contoll over eachother and the "island" but also perhaps for the "souls" of everyone on the island. Gotta say, I LOVE how despite the strong religious tone lately, events are still backed by scientific evidence. This show simply has it all, and if you're having a hard time understanding it, you're simply not using your brain to it's full potential. It's pretty simple in the end.

February 3, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Matt

The reason they didn't take Juliet to the temple is because they were never instructed to do so. Jacob told Hurley and only Hurley, to take Sayid to the temple because he wasn't dead all ready and it was very important that he didn't die. Juliet was dead all ready by the time Sawyer emerged from the wreckage of the hatch.

February 3, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  41. JC

Mark, you must've missed when Faraday explained his theory that the H-bomb would negate the energy from that underground pocket. A poisitive and a negative of equal amounts equals zero. Hence, no explosion. That's why the hatch and our characters aren't incinerated.

A more relevant question is: How did the Dharma van time travel to the present?

February 3, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  42. dan

At one time, Locke met the smoke monster face to face but we never really saw or heard what happened. Did this happen after the smoke monster killed Mr. Echo? Didn't Echo tell Locke that 'he was next'? How would Echo know that anyway?

If the island is underwater (in 2004), how did it get above ground in present day (2007?)?

I do think that Sayid is Jacob. That Asian guy tried to talk to Sayid after he died but the expression on his face made it seem like he was not able to talk to the dead Sayid. So, either Sayid was never dead or Jacob took over his body.

Where were the temple people all this time? It is strange that they were never around before.

When the French woman's friends went into the hole and were 'changed', didn't they all come out of the hole? Even the one who had his arm ripped off? The armless man said he was 'okay' and the others when down after him but then they found the armless man's body when they were taking Sayid to the temple.

I love LOST. As for the complaints about more unaswered question, they can not answer all the questions in one episode. What would keep us watching for the rest of the season.

I do have one other question about last season. Since some of the members went back to the 1970's and met Ben as a young boy, why didn't adult Ben ever recognize these people when they first showed up on the island. It seems very strange to me.

February 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Bruce

To those who wonder how Desmond could have been on the plane, there is one reasonable explanation.

If the bomb destroyed the hatch that was being built in 1977, there would have been no force to draw Desmond to the island later. He sailed right by it on the way to Fiji, and moved on with his life. Who knows? Maybe he is now married to Penny in the alternative universe (though we don't see her because the actress is busy avoiding an affair in "flash forward).

Since Desmond's life took a different course, we can suppose he was on the plane from Australia for some personal reason, just like the rest of the passengers.

I just assumed that Michael and Walt were somewhere on the plane, since we obviously did not see all the passengers. The same can be said for Claire, who probably would have been sleeping.

Whatever course it takes, things should get interesting.

I hope the last episode is not as lame as the "Sopranos" episode was. I also think of the comedy "Benson" that left us never knowing who was elected as governor.

February 3, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Oscar

The hydrogen bomb didn't cause the island to sink. Remember, the island is capable of moving through space at various times. Who says it can't displace itself vertically? The bomb did go off, but right after Juliet and the others were transported back – that's why they weren't obliterated. The explosion of bomb obviously changed the course of history 'pre-crash' like others have said. For example:
    -Hurley's not cursed
    -Michael and Walt weren't on the plane, meaning that Michael never had to go to Australia, which implies that he was never separated from his girlfriend – or maybe they never met?
    -Boone's on the plane alone.
    -Desmond was on the plane, which obviously means he never had to man the hatch, which means he never went on that boating expedition that got him there that he decided to take after leaving Penny. Did he ever meet Penny in the first place?

The lives of those that are apparently the same are Jacks, Locke's, Sayid's, Kate's, and Sawyer's. Jack still lost his dad, Locke still got betrayed, Sayid was still a torturer, Kate still murdered her step father and Sawyer still went to Sydney to kill the original Sawyer aka Locke's father.

I can't wait to see how this ends.

February 3, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Carolyn

If you don't get the LOST frenzy – you never will. It was GREAT to see it again finally!! I took my phone off the hook and was ready to absorb everything. It was good to see some of the old, killed off characters. Would have loved to see EKO – Anna not so much.

Yes, we got some answers and then again more questions. Cannot wait till next Tues. It will be very sad to see it end. Hopefully they will formally tie it to "Flash Forward" somehow. It would be cool to have the chance to see our beloved LOST characters again somewhere down the road.

February 3, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Juana

As one of the LOST fans.......still got more questions, and few answers, but we have to admit that since episode 1 of the series, whether we like it or not "we" are hooked on this show.
    I think they're doing a great job at keeping us entertained. It's a shame it will end, although it's getting hard to keep up with all the details.
    LOST fan

February 3, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Lost's Biggest Fan

Sawyer is Eddie Dean??? No Way... CHARLIE is Eddie Dean... The character of Charlie practically stepped right out of the DT books!!

February 3, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Chuck

Quote: A good show but, as always, the commercials came too often and too fast. About midway through another evening of intrusive commercials, my wife spoke up and said: "Now I remember why I stopped watching this show last year."

One word: TiVO !!!

February 3, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Jaimie

I really enjoyed it. I have to say it was great to see CHARLIE back!!!! I noticed that everything is the opposite such as the plane didn’t crash, Hurley is lucky; Jack was the scared one on the plan....etc. As for Sayid I think Jacob may have taken over his body. Juliet said it worked so when everyone will slowley be killed and as they do they will catch up with their selves in LA. We will see. This is LOST so when you start thinking this is how the show will be it takes a huge twist.
    I will miss the show, I do hope the cast can move on to other TV shows so we can still watch them.

February 3, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Lost's Biggest Fan

First of all, it isn't over yet!! We still have the rest of this season!!

Second of all.. That was a totally awesome season premiere... though I could've lived without Juliette dying again (cry!!) ..... oh, and I am also pretty sure that isn't Sayid anymore.... it is Jacob... That is my theory anyway...

And to those complaining about spoilers... Word to the wise... don't read ANYTHING about a show you haven't seen.... it WILL get spoiled one way or the other.....

February 3, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Gayle

Sometimes the details are clues to the overall concepts. But don't get lost (per se) int he detail. Recall what Locke said to Jack at the airport when Jack was upset with the plane losing the body of Jack's father.
    Locke said "You have not lost your father, only his body". Think of that as a concept in the caracters of LOST. Take it one step further and think of an "out of body" experience and you can understand how a person can be in two places at the same time. One environment may be dependent on the choices you make in another environment. Where are they all going? Home, of course. Recall Rose telling Jack "We are almost home". Perhaps the concept of home is destiny. They have almost achieved their destiny individually and as a group. Okay, already....I analyze a lot.

February 3, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  52. ST

i bet jacob has taken the form of sayid

February 3, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Al

I liked this show a lot better 10 years ago, when they called it "X-files".. Same exact story telling, always more questions then answers, a lot of questions go unanswered..
    Why ?? Cause they bring so many up, you simply forget.

This show will end just like X-files did...answer 80% of the questions, but leave just enough open to make crappy movies afterwards.

February 3, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Matthew

I love this series. Its a great break from the beat you over the head, over explained type of writing these days. It seems some of us are so dumbed down or mentally lazy that if something isnt explained in the greatest detail that it becomes "confusing," "pointless" or aggravating. Too bad for you types. Not knowing everything builds intrigue and suspense, it sucks you in to an exciting world that keeps you glued to the screen.

The show is riveting, the acting is great and its usually unpredictable and surely thought provoking. Keep up the good work "Lost," I'll definitely miss the show and characters when its over.

February 3, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Melissa

I don't think Jacob is the good guy here and that MIB is the bad guy. I think it is the opposite. One big clue is if you've seen the promo poster for this season (it looks just like the Last Supper), Sayid aka Jacob is in the place of Judas (the bad guy) and Locke aka MIB is where Jesus should be.

February 3, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Mercy

Wow, intelligent Dark Tower and The Stand references, I'm impressed! Now I remember why I enjoy reading these posts, because even though there are negative nancies to navigate around, there are always people who make interesting connections I never would have thought of. Thank you Sean!

Now, if we're going to go to DT and Stand comparisons, which Lost characters would be Alain or Cuthbert? Oh, and Sean, who do you have pegged as Trashcan Man? We already know Sawyer is Eddie Dean!

Speaking of Sawyer, I could have done with a lot less bad soap opera crocodile tears and more getting on with the story. As for Juliet, I've been waiting for her demise forever! Does no one remember from whence she came? We think her motivations have been driven by her love for Sawyer, but is that true?

Ol' Smokie still reminds me of the water tentacle from The Abyss. Is it a truly sentient entity or a mechanical construct? When Smokie killed Mr. Ecko, I thought the show was going for an anti-religious tone (he was trying to build a church, after all), but now it does seem like they're drawing Biblical parallels.

February 3, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Jean Mc

Was "lost" again last night but cannot stop watching this show! I like being mystified and intriqued by a story I cannot begin to put in a category or slot. I was at first disappointed we had a group of new characters introduced so close to the end of the series, however, am anxious to find out the reason for this. Also, why didn't they also take Juliet to the temple and why did they bury her so fast!!! I love Sayed's character and believe some of you are on the mark about his being possibly a new "Jacob" or other being. When he thought he was dying, he again reiterated his sorrow about torturing people in his past. Next week, bring it on again!
    For those of you who do not watch the show and have negative comments, why are you commenting at all? Just watch what you want and let us "losties" get lost every week with our show.

February 3, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Maryann Rose - Orlando FL

Excellent show – I just love it, and I'm also puzzled by those who come here to talk about how awful it is! I sure don't go on a blog for '24' or 'Fringe' and make disparaging comments about those shows, but, whatever, too much time on their hands, evidently.

I'm thinking it's not so much a good vs. evil scenario – that's too common, and has been done before in other stories. I think it's more faith/destiny vs. science/free will.

Remember 'Man of Science, Man of Faith'? That's where I think we're going.....no one on this show is totally good or completely evil – it's always a gray area.

February 3, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Oscar

"And fascinating to see Hurley explaining that he's extremely lucky – after all, if there was no hatch, there were no numbers to "curse" Hurley."

You're wrong. If it did work, how did Hurley win the lottery? He explained that he bought that chicken fast food place after winning the lottery – that he won by using the hatch's numbers that he must have heard from the guy in the psychiatric ward. If those number exist, there is still a hatch.

February 3, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  60. cd

I love this show, but I sometimes think the writers make these episodes up as they go, possibly even chaning plot lines while filming, because they don't even know what they are doing. I believe, unfortunately, this awesome series will end with the black screen "LOST", and it will be up to all the viewers to determine their "own" idea of how it ended, instead of ending it themselves. Watch, it'll happen that way.

February 3, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  61. clarifyingpoorrecap

You're wrong about the BOMB.
    There are two universes: and these are formed by one of the following:
    Jughead blowing by Juliet's hands (and her saying 'go dutch for coffee' is acknowledging there is an alternate reality that she has glimpsed on her death bed).

JACOB being killed.

BEN moving the donkey wheel. When that happened – time travel started. And we really don't know what effect that had (and the subsequent Locke turn) on everything. Yet.

LOCKE – is dead, but is his soul gone? We don't know that. Christian was dead but Jacob likely was inhabiting it for a spell.

So, if you follow the show, stay tuned. Cuz this writer hasn't hit the important things.

February 3, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Suzanne Hess

Loved it. I had already thought that , as a fan of Fringe, we may see an alternate universe solution. It reminds me of the movie Sliding Doors, in which we see what could have happened under two scenarios.
    This leaves Kate to hook up with Jack in one and Sawyer in the other.
    It also, like Sliding Doors, leaves us to think that what is meant to be finds a way to happen. I can forese where all the characters in the alternate no plane crash reality come together. Is it possible the island is a portal between two realities? Doesn't every person ask himself:" What if I had made the other choice?" Or on the verge of a car accident, ask "what if I had left just a few seconds earlier."
    But like the movie Frequency, when you tamper with the past, it affects the present. Will we see changes in the present now that they changed the course of their history? I'm in it for the duration.

February 3, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  63. SuperDave

I think Jack will move from a "man of science' role to a man of faith role and take over for Jacob. I think his last name plays him to this part. Jack will be the new "shepherd" for the people!! But I think Sayid will play a big part in it as well – his baptism cleansed him of his sins and he and Jack will work in tandem for the cause of Good.

February 3, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Ashley

I'm confused because, if I'm remebering correctly, Desmond wasn't on the plane. Didn't Desmond shipwreck onto the island when he was searching for Penny???

Great show, but I still have so many more questions than answers.

February 3, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Fran

I think we may be jumping the gun at who's actually the good guy. I was convinced it was Jacob – now not so much – he let Juliette die but saved a man that murdered and tortured people....hmmm

February 3, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  66. CAG

This series has been quite a ride, and I'm hanging on until the end. I will miss it terribly when it is finished.

Also, adios, Anna Novak. There are plenty of us to fill the gap you leave in the audience.

February 3, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Dale

I'm a fan of the show. I think it was at its best in the first season. I've always felt that it went a season or two too long and there's a bit too much complexity and added layers of mystery. The producers are already saying they aren't going to answer all the questions.

The H-bomb did not go off. It wasn't an H-bomb at all. It set off some major variation of the process that's had characters skipping around time/space.

No question that Jacob now inhabits Sayid it's going to be Jacob/Sayid v. MIB/Locke until the bitter end.

February 3, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  68. ac

I agree with Ron....does anyone else think that maybe the MIB is the GOOD one and jacob is the bad one?? Jacob was the reason everyone came to the island, who was touched by him, and like Ron said, he liked to watch them fight! i think we are made to think that the MIB is bad when in fact he is the good one!
    oh and juliet should not have been back in this episdoe, ridiculous

February 3, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Lisa

I thought last nights show was just great. I have been a fan the whole time and LOST is the best show on. I can't wait for next week!!

February 3, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  70. Derrick

Sawyer is going to end up being used by the smoke monster/man to get what he wants. They are setting it up were Sawyer is so blinded by his hate that he is going to be used to go to the dark side.

February 3, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  71. DB

Desmond got to the island via sailboat and was not on the original Oceanic flight, so why was he on the "new" Oceanic flight last night?

February 3, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  72. Doug

Sayid is dead. Just like Locke. Jacob now uses Sayid's body like MIB uses Locke's.

February 3, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  73. Michelle

I've been watching faithfully from day one of this show and I have to give credit to the writers. If the answers were all ready and available then we really wouldn't have a reason to watch the show. What they writers are doing with the whole answering questions with questions is really creative writing. I am sad that the show is ending but at least it will have an ending. Back in the day when a show was cut from the season lineup, you didn't get any resolution. The show ended with unresolved questions and scenarios. My only question is did they ever say what happened with the kids? The first couple of episodes, children were being taken but I don't recall if they ever showed why the kids were being taken. Maybe it's one of those things they'll address with the ending of the show.

February 3, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  74. Scott

First of all, they are not split realities for sure since the losties on the plane are in 2005 and the losties at the temple are in the LOST present when MIB has killed Jacob. There could still be some weird explanation to get the island off the bottom of the ocean and them back on the island! Split realities happen at the same time, these scenes are clearly happening in different years.
    And I think that there is no more Sayid and that he has become Jacob. Sayid's body is Jacob's loophole to regain control of the island which will be revealed over time.

It will be fun to see what their truth is!

February 3, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  75. DS

i noticed when they brought Sayid into the temple the one guy asked why the water had changed color...that it wasn't clear, more of a murky "bloody" color (this was before they all learned that Jacob was dead). could that have been because Jacob had been killed? maybe the water was clear while Jacob was alive, and after he died, the water turned to blood? i forgot to look to see if the water was clear again after Sayid came back to life, though...? just an observation...of what though, i'm not sure. 🙂

February 3, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  76. Bruce

I am going to make a guess here that JJ Abrams will use a device he used in the new "Star Trek" movie, where the older "Spock" from the original series entered the alternate universe and even advised the new "Spock" on some decisions he should make.

I predict that one of the "Lost" characters will jump to the alternate universe to reconcile what is happening. Unlike "Star Trek," I don't think the two universes will continue to exist independently of each other, but that there will be a "synthesis" that reconciles the two.

In the real world, they would not all "live happily ever after," but in this one, I'm kind of hoping they do.

February 3, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  77. GPlost

Dead is dead, remember? Sayid is dead. He did not wake up. Jacob and the man in black can transport themselves in the bodies of the dead. The man in black is in John Locke's image and Jacob is in Sayid's image.

It will all boil down to black vs. white, right vs. wrong, good vs. evil. I still do not understand the whole – are they alive and the island is at the bottom of the sea - or are they back on the island???

Have to wait until next week.

February 3, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  78. TP

I loved the opening episode, although I have more questions, rather than some answers. One other discrepancy I noted was that Boone told Locke that he was in Australia to get his sister out of a bad relationship but it didn't work and she stayed – but the plane was supposed to be as if it hadn't crashed, so if it didn't crash ALL the people that ended up on the island after the crash should have been on the plane, and that would have included Boone's sister. Plus, Claire wasn't on the plane either – but she was in that cab, also Walt and his dad weren't on the plane, but they were on the island from the plane crash. Soooo, how did all of them get on the island if they weren't on the original plane? There were some other things too – like when the "dead people talker guy (forget his name)" was next to Sayid he got a really weird look, like he got a message, but he didn't say anything – what did he read from Sayid at that moment? AND, why when he was listening to Juliette's dead body do you hear the black smoke monster sound?

One HUGE discovery that my teenage daughter figured out is that the scientist who tried to help them, Daniel Faraday, is named after Michael Faraday, the scientist from the 1800's. Faraday believed that the law of definite proportions also required some sort of atomic theory . What Faraday proposed in the 1840s was that matter was perceived where lines of force met at a particular point in space. A direct experimental outcome of this radical theory was Faraday's discovery in 1845 of the magneto-optical effect and diamagnetism. Faraday also linked his work with his Christian beliefs – which all links to what is happening in lost (good guy vs evil, marking with ashes, Sayid being carried like Jesus on the crucifix, etc.). I think my daughter is definitely on to something . . .

Anyway, I'm totally looking forward to this last season and getting everything figured out. Cool show, great idea the writers had forsure!

February 3, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  79. Becke B

Loved the Show! classic Good versus Evil. Loved the revelation of the MIB being the smoke monster. all you major Lost geeks – he killed:
    the pilot
    Jacob's 4 bodyguards
    the african guy with the walking stick
    who else – i can't remember?

February 3, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  80. JRock

This is a great show and no, it's not supposed to make perfect sense. It's a fantasy show people!! If you don't like it, go back to the long list of terrible "reality" shows out there. This is a show like no other and keeps you wanting more. I've got 5+ seasons invested and I am really glad that this will end properly. Ok, off the soap-box.

I personally think this is a God vs. Devil story, Good vs. Evil, Good guy in white vs. Bad guy in black. Jacob (God) comes and goes into the characters lives and at different times at will. Is seen by some and not others. Seems to heal with touch. Speaks whatever language he wants and knows all. Can't be killed by the Devil nor can he kill the Devil. The Man in Black (Devil) can take the form of whoever he wants. Seems to not like whatever the powder that is spread on the floor (ie Holy Water type thing).

Still a mystery to me obviously is who are these new "others"? Why does that leader hate speaking English? How do they relate to all the groups that have been on the island all this time (Others, Darma, shipwrecked folks, etc)? And the biggie, why does there now appear to be parallel universes (or times) and how will they converge? Jack (on the plane) obvioulsy feels he's met some folks before, esp. Desmand.

February 3, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  81. Guest

Watch fringe! it's way better and doesn't leave you "lost" at the end of every episode

February 3, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  82. Mike R

My big question... The no-crash scenarios centered around Jack. When on the plane, he recognized Desmond and also seemed to recognize Rose, Bernard, and Charlie. Is Jack the only one that is aware?

February 3, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  83. Irv

I'm certain the bomb core's explosion was pulled down into the pocket of energy, causing the rift and sinking the island. With the island at the bottom of the ocean, flight 815 doesn't crash but the survivors are shoved back where they should be: in their reality of origin. I feel that this is going to be part of the final solution. Both sets of people will probably be given a choice, just like jacob told ben. Smokey Locke will try to push the chess pieces to get himself off the island. Richard will have to be explained better, the chained comment probably points to the fact that he can leave the island like jacob. I don't think that's Sayid, ghost Jacob's expression looked like he was consigned to play dirty like Smokey Locke.

February 3, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  84. j-dub351

Sean: great point about Dark Tower series. I did notice that with the Man in Black reference. The "split in two" reference to the dual realities is very apt here. I was wondering why the writers decided to show both realities at the same time. This would make some sense.

February 3, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  85. StarMagix

I think it is more of a dual existence timeline thing perhaps. It is as though Jack sensed something about his other self when he was on the plane looking out the window. It appears as though they actually changed what would have been the future however in bombing the island if that is what happened. Not everyone that was orrigionally on the plane was still on it. Some of them were not there. Anna Lucia was gone from the plane, yet Charlie was there, and Desmon was never on the plane and yet there he was. I think Juliet will reappear alive again if the temple people took her body back with them from the jungle. A part of me wonders if their souls were split in half when the island blew. A part of them returned to what may have been, and yet part of their spirit remained on the island in their human form. I am wondering if they are actually all dead on the island in a sense. I do not think Jacob is really dead, dead. MIB kicked Jacob's body into the fire and Jacob just disappeared rather than burn to ashes. I also think Jacob knew what was going to happen the whole time from the beginning of the plane crash right up to his own death. It was as though Jacob assured all the people & events would happen in just the right way. It makes me think there is a time loop that keeps repeating over and over again. Who knows how many times the loop has looped in time, or the variable amount of outcomes from the never ending loops. Perhaps this might explain why Richard has been around forever and never gets any older.
    I love this series! It keeps my mind thinking, unlike so many other worthless series they keep re-running over and over again. I hope the writers and actors change their minds and continue to write more and more episodes. Why kill off a super great story with such awesome performers!? Keep those mind boggling questions coming!

February 3, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  86. Chris E

It will not be Sayid vs (Un)Locke; it will be Jack vs (Un)Locke in the end. Don't you all get it now? Jack needed Locke in order to become the person he needed to be so he could lead the way he needed to as we get closer to end game (albeit with a few possible mistakes). Locke has always been the ultimate pawn for everyone (even if those people did not realize they were using Locke for something at the time). At this point MIB has been the master manipulator (think back to when he told Jacob, "You have no idea what I went through to be here.") who has pulled the strings on everyone except for Jacob (at least to a degree). He even got Jack to finally buy into Locke which was needed so in 1977 when Richard asked Jack about Locke not being 'anything special', Jack would reassure Richard, 'not to count Locke out'. This in turn causes Richard to trust (Un)Locke as a leader in 2007 and take him to see Jacob at which point Jacob is murdered. MIB wanted/needed Jacob dead to clear the path to the ending and MIB 'going home'. Jacob knew this day was coming and put together a special team of people (an example would be Hurley who can still see/hear Jacob and can therefore follow his directions) that with their abilities can still change whatever the end game may be and stop MIB from succeeding in his plan. Remember what Jacob said, 'It only ends once, everything else is just progress.' He is talking about the end of his and MIB 'feud' (much more than that I am sure but that is the best word I can think of to call what Jacob referred to when he told Ben that he can leave and allow Jacob and MIB to resolve their 'issues') and that people have the ability to be/do good in their lives, they simply have to choose to do so. In the end, Jack will choose to sacrifice himself in his last and greatest moment of 'fixing it'.

February 3, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  87. Bruce

The only part I hated watching last night were ABC's asinine promotions for "comedy wednesday.' From obese fat men bumping butts in the locker room to a constant diet of sexual teasing in the other shows, I will be sad when "Lost" is over because evidently ABC has nothing cerebral to take its place.

What I wouldn't give for a "Cosby" show right now.

But back to "Lost." The genius of JJ Abrams will come through. I had always been against a remake of "Star Trek" because I knew they would butcher it. JJ came along and totally remade Star Trek, but left the original series intact. We got to have our cake and eat it too. He will do the same with "Lost."

February 3, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  88. Ron

Is Jacob good or bad? I feel he is bad, we is/was the great puppet master tht loved to watch the cast aways fight

February 3, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  89. Tom Hencke

February 3, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  90. Lulu

I see that many people are agreeing that Sayid is now the new Jacob. Here is my question... if the MIB took over Locke's body, why is there still a dead body as well? When the MIB walked onto the beach, we saw the actual dead John Locke on the sand. If Jacob took over Sayid's body, why is there no dead body as well? Man, I am not sure if that made any sense, haha.... fitting for a Lost comment. 🙂

February 3, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  91. jeremy

So the cabin was where the Others had tried to imprison MIB. Jacob was never there. Jacob was always in the statue. Ben thought the cabin was where Jacob was, but Ben admitted that he had never actually met Jacob.

When "Jacob", who is really MIB, said "Help me" to Locke, it wasnt Jacob asking for help, it was MIB asking for help. Help me KILL JACOB. Help me GO HOME.

The image of Christian Shepherd was not really working for Jacob. It was MIB, masquerading as Christian to get Locke to do his bidding, and indirectly, allow MIB to take Lock's form after Locke had died to get close enough to Jacob and to the Others (in order to have Ben kill MIB). Locke had already been deemed "special" by the others, so what better form to take to convince one of the others to kill their own leader?

February 3, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  92. RS

They are showing what would have happened if they made it back to LA. Somehow I do not think the lives of the group on the plane will turn out well. Arrests, death, suicide, etc.

February 3, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  93. Sebastian

I think what people fail to see is that 'reality' is already different from what it was 'pre-crash', witness the dude who went to pick up his sister in Australia. They were both there when the plane crashed. This time, no sister.
    So something else has happened along the time line, pre-crash, that has already caused a few temporal anomalies.

February 3, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  94. Barry

Never watched Lost until last night. Now I know why. It is very simplistic and transparent. At almost every plot point, I was, like, duh-oh. Yes, there are some details I am unaware of, but the basic driver stuff was pretty clear. Someone brand new to this shouldn't be able to pick this up so easily.

February 3, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  95. David

I'm a little 'lost' about who Desmond really is in all of this. He appears on the plane, then disappears.

February 3, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  96. CJ

Why are there so many haters on this site? If you stopped watching LOST, never watched, or now hate it, DON'T COMMENT unless you have actual theories–not just comments about how bad the show is or has gotten! This show is amazing. Don't ruin it with your negativity for those of us who are along for the ride (whether we know what's going on or not).

February 3, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  97. Kelly

"how come Jack seems to remember people from the island that he met on the plane?"

In Desmond's case, Jack met him well before the plane originally crashed, when they were both running at a track field....Jack was upset about a patient, and Desmond helped him work through it. That was also before Des set off in a boat and ended up on the island.

February 3, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  98. Bill

I find it funny that the one thing that makes the show great some of you are complaining about. Who needs whiney fans like you.
    Go back to watching ugley betty it is more your speed.
    LOST is a great show. The fact we know only bits and pieces of some things is why I have never missed a show. I don't need the half hour of worthless programing where you only need the IQ of the above whiners to be entertained.
    I am glad it will end on May 29th but sad as well. TV is more or less usless with its half hour idiot shows and endless ad's.
    By the way none of you would still be watching if you knew all the answers. Life is tough when you have to think huh.

February 3, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  99. jeff

Terrible opening episode.

I wish I woud have stopped watching this show but now that I have 5 years invested in it want to see how it ends.

How many more questions can be put out there? Why make more questions there are enough dangling story lines already.

I am glad some people liked it but for me major let down.

February 3, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  100. Roland

I will attempt to answer the questions that Mark had above. These are my opionions only. The hydrogen bomb went off. It somehow created two different realities. In one, the Lostees were flung forward in time to the present, the same time period where Sun, Frank, and Locke are. The blast from the bomb didn't seem to affect this reality. The other reality was where Oceanic 815 never crashed. In this reality the bomb's effects are seen. It sunk the island. The writers know what they are doing. It makes no sense to say they don't until we see how everything turns out.

February 3, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  101. Rich

@Mark – The atom bomb sent them back along the 2004 timeline when the hatch was damaged from Desmond failing to enter the numbers. In this timeline the hatch was never destroyed by an atom bomb.

February 3, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  102. Anna Novak

I never watched the program but always felt that it was a present day "Gilligan's Island" with the same superscilious story lines. Adios Lost.

February 3, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  103. tanyakristine

The first season of Lost was amazing. after that....no.

February 3, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  104. Danny

@CJ. Jack doesn't remember Desmond from the Island necessarily. Remember that they met while running the steps at the stadium when Desmond rolled his ankle training.

February 3, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  105. the brown

Man in Black – Satan
    Ben- Judas
    Sayid – resurrected Christ
    Richard – Moses?
    (did you see them carrying Sayid out of the water? arms wide open like Jesus, or Scott Stapp from Creed)

Also Juliet's pre-dying words to Sawyer were an interesting clue. "Let's have coffee sometime" Is she possibly existing in both alternative universes simultaneously?

February 3, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  106. sara raney

Sayid IS dead. Jacob took his body just as the black monster took Locke's. That's why the spirit of Jacob told Hurley that he must take Sayid to the temple: Jacob needed a body so that he can fight Locke.

February 3, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  107. Marissa

My money is on the fact that Jacob has come back in Sayid's body, and the rest of the season (and basically what the whole show has been, we just didn't know it until now) will come down to GOOD vs. EVIL–and Oceanic 815 will have to make a choice between the two.

I've always thought the show was pro-science also, so i was very surprised that this episode had a religious tone.. I don't think it was a coincidenece that Sayid was carried out of the spring with his arms out (Jesus) before being resurrected. This is why I think we now have Jacob in Sayid...

February 3, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  108. Mark

Pat of NY – You state: " I am soooo glad I stopped watching this show after I missed the 3d episode in season 1".

Wow, for someone not watching the show and not caring, why would you comment on the exact show you never watch SIX years later?

Simply amazing... glad to see you still do not care for the show.

February 3, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  109. KatieC

I can attest that my son and I did Indeed channel Hurley and yell at the screen "DUDE!".

Oy... split dimensions. OK.. going out on a limb here... temple is all egyptian hieroglyphed, I'm thinking Anubis is the "man in black smokie monster", and Jacob is Osiris.

and why didn't they take Juliet to the temple, eh? Oh yeah...she's on another show now.

February 3, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  110. Sean

Last night's episode probably confused a lot of people, but let me see if I can shed a little light on it by referencing Stephen King. If you've followed Lost you know the creators are huge SK fans. JJ also had, up until recently, had plans to do something with SK's Dark Tower series. In that series there is a "Man in Black". The first book in the series begins "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.” This man in black had the ability to take the form of anyone he wanted (he has appeared in many of SKs books as Randall Flagg, Maerlyn, Walter O'Dim, etc).

Near the end of the first book a young boy named Jake dies. During the second book, Roland (the Gunslinger) alters the series of events that put Jake into his world in the first place (I won't go into details, but it has to do with traveling between worlds through doorways). In the third book, Jake is found to still be alive but back in his own world. Due to Roland's actions, Jake has had his life split into two parallel timelines, one where he dies and one where he hasn't, yet his mind is going crazy because he has these memories of another world, another life, and his own death.

I think Lost is following along with this concept by using the hydrogen bomb as the event that split the Losties into two realities. I think much of this season is going to deal with this set of events and how the parallel realities are going to play on the cast mentally, emotionally, and physically until they can somehow merge their lives back to one reality.

As for the MIB and Jacob, I think they both will have something to play in this. Again, referring to SK, look at The Stand. It was a battle between good and evil. Lady Abigaile versus Randall Flagg (hey look! the Man in Black!). The climax of The Stand included a nuclear weapon, as well.

Just some thoughts to put into people's minds. And if you're curious about the Dark Tower series, I would recommend reading the seven books! Great storytelling!

February 3, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  111. Mel

As usual, despite having watched Lost from episode 1, I feel confused and not much wiser having watched this episode. I hope that the writers tie up all the loose ends and make all the connections come the final episode, or there are going to be a lot of angry Lost fans. Though I like having a show to watch that makes you think, instead of spoon feeding you a few laughs, it shouldn't be this difficult to reach a conclusion.

February 3, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  112. JMike

What about Walt?

February 3, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  113. I h8te Lost but I used to Love it.

@ Austin – I disagree. I think Sayid is the new Jacob. He died last night and came back to life, just like Locke. Look for him and Locke to go at it as a good vs evil storyline.

February 3, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  114. CJ

I agree with the splitting the space time continuum into two theory. I think the bomb did go off and it put the characters back in the present, but also left them back on the island. This is why Juliet says that "it worked". Btw, poor Sawyer. I'm so sad for him.
    Still, I have many, many questions: how come Jack seems to remember people from the island that he met on the plane?
    Who is the man in black? Is he the "devil" aka bad in the world and Jacob is the "good" in the world?
    What year are the people back in the island in? It seemed to me that the people from the temple are in the 70s–looked very hippy. Did the bomb put the Jack and the rest back in time again? And who is the Asian man that seems to be the leader on the temple people? And what was REALLY in the letter from Jacob.
    What is the purpose of Boone being back?
    Why, why, why is Locke dead?! Why!

February 3, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  115. LOST.. In Thought

So if MIB = Smoke Monster than MIB directed Ben to listen to his other version as Locke.
    If MIB = Smoke Monster, how did that come to happen? Did Jacob ever turn into anything?
    If MIB=Smoke Monster, how did it decide who it killed and didn't kill. Were those touched by Jacob protected?
    Concerning the ash, was the Ash around the cabin to keep the smoke monster out or to keep Jacob in and if it's the latter than why would Jacob have appeared to Locke and asked him for help?
    Which ghosts that appeared to Locke were the MIB and which were good forces?
    Where is MIB's home and how did he get trapped on the island? How did Ben summon the Smoke Monster in the past?
    Is Widmore still viewed as evil? Will Ben finally realize that he has been a pawn to both sides and that everything is based on choice.

Based on the look of fear in the Temple Dwellers and Richard's eyes. This MIB dude is either powerful or very destructive. Interesting that only Hurley could see Dead Jacob.

Last thought.. I feel bad for Locke.. here is a guy who tried to do what was right most of his life and still got the shaft from everyone. He tried do what he thought would help everyone and island and died because he was a "Man of Faith" and put his faith into something he couldn't see nor understand (much like religion) and what happened he died wondering..

Meanwhile we have Jack who is "Man of Science" who is trying to do things logically and what he feels make the most sense.. He is still alive and fighting.. albeit with a lot of mistakes a long the way.

I'm not saying the show is anti religion or pro science but it is interesting to note. That at some point you have to trust what you see right in front of you and other times you have to just have blind faith.

February 3, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  116. Auzee

It became confusing for a while, still not getting the underwater thing maybe it will be explained better as the final season continues. I think it would have been best to leave Juliet gone and not have her at the commencement of this series. Jack has to "man-up" more his character seems to becoming weaker, other characters are over-shadowing where he should be the lead.

February 3, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  117. Austin

Theory A: Jack will become the new Jacob, and the crew will be destined to be the new guardians or keepers of the island.

Theory B: Considering the makers of Lost stated that this final season will be "life-changing," I would say the purpose of the island is to cleanse, or help these people change their lives around in a positive way. That would explain why we have had all these flashbacks and time warps of the crew's unfortunate lives in the real world, before the crash. This is to show the negative their lives were before, and help show their true character while on the island. You cannot deny each character has grown in some way while on the island. There has got to be a reason for the obvious change in people. Maybe you can only leave the island once you have accepted or changed in some positive manner. Each member has become a "better" person while on the island, so maybe this is just to change their lives?

February 3, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  118. patNY

I am soooo glad I stopped watching this show after I missed the 3d episode in season 1, and got, excuse the pun utterly Lost in this nonsense story, if you can call it that. I find these kinds of no answers and confusing and constantly changing plot lines to be stressful. Lost, simply stated, is not good.

February 3, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  119. Mark

If the atom bomb REALLY went off, there would not be any pieces of the hatch ( or Julia) left!! yet there is twisted metal and steal beams everywhere. A nuclear reaction would have melted and incinerated everything for miles (Hiroshima anyone??)..there would not be b jungle all around the hole where the hatch was.. everything would have been flattened...nothing but a giant crater would exist in place of that hatch.. either the writers are so stupid not to realize this or there was never an explosion of the atom bomb there, they just simply breached the large pocket of energy under the hatch and it exploaded.
    Get real.. I think the writers of this show must be doing drugs when they write this stuff.. it's like a group of 3rd graders write this show and it doesn't ever make sense.

February 3, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  120. gnea

I stuck with "LOST" series every since the first episode started.

Now that it's ended, I am LOST... I am confused about the ending of this "GREAT" TV Series....

I will truly miss it. There aren't many television series out there that has a person biting their nails and sitting on the edge of their chair wondering what will happend next. This was one of those series.

Please make another "Gripping" Television Series...

February 3, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  121. I h8te Lost but I used to Love it.

February 3, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  122. I h8te Lost but I used to Love it.

What was that show last night? Why create a separate reality after the plane crash? They have relived that crash (in different scenarios) at least twice a season since the show began. I was bored and exhausted with the writers trying to create different ways to show the same events. The only great and unique revelation came at the end with Locke. And frankly I don't think I can hang in there for the whole season at this pace.

February 3, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  123. Javz

Oh the season premiere definitely began with a bang! I am going to go through a major withdrawal when this show ends.

I'd like to add that they really didn't answer the question on what is the black smoke. What is the black smoke exactly? Scientifically, I mean? I know I am not the only one who notices that within the black smoke there are these digital images flashing through.

And poor Juliette, I wanted her to tell Sawyer she was pregnant!!! Thank god Sayid is not dead! He's such a great character and needs to be part of the show. Is it next week yet?

February 3, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  124. dawn beeks

It was awesome and OMG episodes. Can't wait to see how this all ends but then again, will be sorry when it does. And Locke being the bad guy now, whoa! but he rocks no matter what.

February 3, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  125. rt

As usual Lost stuck to it's "answer a few and throw out more questions" formula. I am glad it is ending this season. My head is spinning from remembering all the facts and connecting the dots.

February 3, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |