December 23rd, 2009

Alyssa Milano takes on 'Jersey Shore'

Actress Alyssa Milano can’t stand the "Jersey Shore" (the show, not the beach).

In a spoof video posted on the “Funny or Die” comedy Web site, Milano expresses her distaste with the program by being transformed from her fresh-faced self into a doppelganger of the MTV reality show star Nicole Polizzi, nicknamed “Snooki.”

The transformation (which could be Milano’s most powerful role since "Who's the Boss' " Samantha Micelli) includes an aggressive spray tan, plenty of dark eyeliner, acrylic nails and a couple of digital inches added to her bust and backside.

The end of the video declares, “No wonder our perception of Jersey is distorted.”

Milano has previously criticized the MTV show. She isn’t alone. The show is already under fire from Italian-American groups for its depiction of Italian-Americans and for an episode where Snooki is sucker-punched in the face by a man.

Post by: ,
Filed under: television

« Previous entry
  1. Greg

Some italian stereotypes are pretty accurate, though, such as their tendency to dive and play dirty in football (as the last 2 world cups of have shown), and the constant corruption that runs through any organization that they run, whether it be the national government or the Italian Serie A.

December 23, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Steve Rizzo

People say, its not a big deal, b/c its just tv or entertainment, but that fact is that this wrongfully stereotypes italians – the percentage that are like this is small. If you took the worst of every other ethnicity and showed it on tv that would be unacceptable. Between the Sopranos, Jersey Shore, all the mob movies, the Gotti's that is the only image americans get of italians. Again we shouldn't censure this stuff, and mtv should be able to show it. However, i won't watch this garbage, nor any other mtv show if this is what passes for mtv shows. I suggest others follow suit.

December 23, 2009 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dball213

Aren't all those people from Staten Island anyway?

December 23, 2009 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. 4mernykr

I say to Josh who posted earlier – you need to focus your energy on bingo every day - rather than where everyone else was when all the other shows you know so much about were on –

December 23, 2009 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jorge

"All in the Family" made fun of all groups,races and religions. That was in the early 70's. Lighten up Jersey people, its just a funny show, laugh or change the channel, there are 600 of them.

December 23, 2009 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jose

That show is a joke, Mtv is a joke, those chicks that are on that show are pretty dumb and will probably end up in Playboy after their 15 minutes of fame are up on Mtv........ Take that retarded show off the air, if I was that dude I'da punched her too........

December 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. NJ

LOL... "w"...so glad you hate us. Must be jealous.

December 23, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. brian

BFD! I was born in Jersey and I am Italian! Its a "reality" show people! You dont like it dont watch it! But GodDammit, protect the right to Offend! This is America U Pussies!

December 23, 2009 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mike

why can't people just shut up and watch tv, if this offends you, then don't watch, problem solved....why ruin it for others, this show is hilarious

December 23, 2009 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jackie

That show is such a joke. They dont even live at the Jersey Shore. There a bunch a stupid shoobies that live up north that travel down to beach every summer and cause a bunch of crap for the locals who actually live and appreciate the shore all year around. Im embarassed for them, they make themselves look like a bunch of tool bags. Ask any local (including myself) we dont act like that at all.

December 23, 2009 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chris

The thing is....I am from NJ..and I grew up hating who acted like the people dipicted on this show. There are plenty of people from NJ who don't act like this. Its just between this show and the soprano's, everyone thinks people from NJ are gangster guidos. It really sets Italian Americans back 400 years.

December 23, 2009 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Matt from MN

Know the difference between Jersey women and garbage? Garbage gets taken out once a week.

December 23, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Angela

They just keep lowering the bar of intelligence with these types of shows. But certain people seem to like them & buy into them, so let them waste their time & brain cells.

December 23, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Daryl

I don't think its the show the people don't like. Its the people on the show that people are awe of and hate. And there are really a LOT of people from Jersey that act like that. I'm Italian and in no way offended by it, but just feel bad for the people on the show (and Housewives of NJ) because they think they have class and are sophisticated but are very far from it.

December 23, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Barbara

Wow, you all have alot to say. I am a Jersey girl, born and raised and proud of my state. But the Housewives and the Jersey Shore idiots are just a small, miniscule part of the people who live there. IF everyone hates NJ so much, why do you all flock down there every summer? The Housewives, just a bunch of spoiled women, who shouldn't even qualify under the term "housewife". And Jersey Shore just a mixed bunch of spoiled kids. It makes for stupid TV and just shows us that we have let the TV stations slide by with this crap and not demanded good TV. MTV is getting desperate. NJ is a great state, and with all states, has its pockets of bad folks that make us all look like idiots. Don't watch it if you don't like and demand better. Leave Jersey alone or try going there and see how much there is to offer besides Housewife bimbos and Italian kids who consider themselves guidos and guidettes. This isn't the Jersey that really exists.

December 23, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Chet

Actually this show is a pretty good depiction of what these people are really like...don't you guys get it...these people are real and there are millions of them in New Jersey. Walk around the Jersey shore, its pretty obvious...

December 23, 2009 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Joy

I, too, was born and raised on the Jersey Shore. All of my family is still there and none of them are anything like these people. They have class. This show is not representing the Garden State accurately or with any respect.

December 23, 2009 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  18. J Rich

When she got punched in the face I was at first shocked then after seeing her in an interview I went back to the video, this time I laughed my ass off.

December 23, 2009 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  19. m from den

The show is just another bad example of bad TV. MTV turned a corner a long time ago when they stopped being what their moniker stands for (music television) and started being a Jerry
    Springer-esque type of environment. "Jersey Shore" is just the latest in a long line of bad programming choices by MTV management. The thing that really bothers me is that VH1, that used to be for young, mature adults, is now going down the same road with some of the trashiest shows on TV. I agree with the poster Josh about the kids on this show with those stupid nicknames. "The Situation"? "Snooki"? "Jen Woww"? You've got to be kidding...how dumb.

December 23, 2009 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  20. mamahawk.

Seriously, I'm Italian. The show IS stupid, but I dont think I'd boycott it. Come on.. most of us has a relative somewhere that reminds us of the people on the show... I laugh at that.. Kinda like the plastic on the furniture at Grandmas, The gold colored living room w/ White Carpet, the bathroom so clean you could have a party on it. Come on have a sense of humor..

December 23, 2009 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Mike

You haters are nuts ... This is some of Mtv's best work. Blows the Real World out of the water!

December 23, 2009 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  22. John L

Jersey Shore is trash TV. The cast are nothing but a group of idiots.

December 23, 2009 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Dee

In the old days, the circus came to town & we got to go to the tents to see the freaks. Now they come to us by way of the boob tube. The freaks are now on reality shows and the fashion runways. And people are still as fascinated as in the old days at the circus. – What did PT Barnum say? There's a sucker born every minute. And seems they're all watching Jersey Shore...

December 23, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jo

This is what T.V has become. Total garbage. I don't care what or who they're portraying. For people to find this sh*t reality T.V entertaining, is what's killing any kind of show with some level of thought and talent. Good writers and actors are now becoming a thing of the past so morons can sit in front of the "Duh, look! Big box!" and watch this kind of idiocy.

December 23, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  25. craig

you people are idiots. The show is funny, real funny. it is PURE entertainment. that is all. they are kids that have no idea what life is all about. If you are from NJ and take offense to the show, you are the one that needs to grow up.

December 23, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  26. refry

For all you dumbasses who don't know who Alyssa Milano is....GET THE F@$K OUT OF THE COUNTRY. It is a SIN to not know Alyssa Milano. Even homosexuals are in love with her. Her conception was the number 1 greatest guy moment in history.

And all you guidos out there can suck a tanning lotion bottle. Plz die. Bring your guidos to Cali and watch them get knocked the F#@#K OUT!!

December 23, 2009 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jay

Not so funny when the shoe is on the other foot huh? Shows have made black people look like fools for as long as there has been Tv. If the show was called Harlem and featured a group of black 20 sometings engaging in stereotypical behavior the same people complaining would be cracking up.

December 23, 2009 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Tony the Pizza

MTV shipped these Guido's in from Staten Island to pose as Guido's from NJ, when we here in Jersey have our own Guido's who would have been just fine.

PS You really have to search hard to find these dirt-bags like these at the Jersey Shore (which is actually pretty nice) Hopefully people will believe this is how the Jersey Shore really is, that way, any tourists will be scared away and our beach towns will be less crowded. in the summer.

December 23, 2009 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Meaghann

It's just a TV show, get over it people!

December 23, 2009 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Meaghann

It's just a TV show, get over it people

December 23, 2009 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Laura

People from NJ are NOT like that.....

December 23, 2009 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  32. sid

gruppo December 23rd, 2009 4:49 pm ET
    in response to gruppo, have you not see college hill on bet? what about the frankie and neffie show?

December 23, 2009 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Hilarious

What is hilarious to me is all these PPL are getting pissed about the show, but let another ethnic group come up with a show, and they show them to be ignorant and other things. You all find it entertaining and funny. But when they make something with your own ethnicity you want to take offence. I think its all a joke. They have shows that make Blacks, white, Hispanics ext look ridiculous but people still watch it. So really all I have to say is get over it. Yes i agree its dumb that ppl do this but its happening to every ethnicity group. It just happens to be the italians time now...

December 23, 2009 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  34. italian chi-girl

I'm from Chicago and grew up in a strong Italian American family. I think the show is hilarious... I don't think it depicts anything about anyone from New Jersey or the show itself. THe only people who look bad on it are the people on the show. The term "guido" is not a compliment and I think its soooo funny that that's exactly what they're trying to be like. To all the people that are making a big scene about the show, just sit back and watch... you'll laugh too. Don't take it so personally!

December 23, 2009 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  35. moeski

I think it is funny that people hate on NJ, when the people on this show aren't from the Garden State.

December 23, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Snooki D

Fist Pumpin!

December 23, 2009 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  37. joe m

shows like these are nothing more than the modern version of the carnival freak shows. we've reached a point where we are no longer looking for entertainment, but rather spectacle. it doesn't seem to matter if none of these shows accomplish nothing but displaying in full view how some are willing to degrade themselves in a desparate need for attention. we really need to stop tuning in to these shows and maybe, just maybe, they'll go away. it is all about supply and demand. if we demand these shows by tuning in, then some tv exec is more than willing to exploit that need.

December 23, 2009 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  38. I live in NJ and....

I like the place that I live it's a mix community and I assure you none of the "ugly faced" "fowl mouth" "no brains" folks that are on this show exist in my community. I am not Italian but I have a lot of respectable Italian friends who are in NO WAY, SHAPE or FORM act like this idiots. If they were my family I would be ashamed that they are on TV. I saw about 15 minutes of it and that was even way too long to not feel like puking!!! It was real pathetic with the guys mouthing off like "dumb dough boys" and the girls were even worse..might as well call them what they are " JERSEY SHORE WHORES." Do I really need to see somebody's ass hanging up in the air, especially that girl? She is too ugly for words physically and as a person. Whoever in MTV picked them should be FIRED!!!! To think that these girls gave themselves derogatory names is quite amazing...I guess muscles and abs delete your brain cells. Go to school, learn something because if I see you on the street, I will spit on you.

December 23, 2009 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  39. w

In regards to this show I love just one thing about it ...the fact that it shows people from New Jersey why everybody hates people from New Jersey. Go ahead...think about it for a minute...you know im right. Do me a favor New Jersey and use these losers as your scapegoats for an aggressive public campaign to find out how you can make your state more appealing to the masses instead of just making it appealing to the people who nickname themselves sh*t like "the situation" and "snooki"....God I hate you New Jersey

December 23, 2009 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  40. New Jersey Girl

This show is nothing more than bored rich kids who get to spend the summer at the jersey shore. Whoopie doo MTV thanks for destroying new jersey reputation. We were just named the most corrupt state in the country. Now we just look like the queerest.

December 23, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Deb

I echo Adrianne's sentiments. I, too, am from NJ (I actually grew up in a shore town about 30 minutes from where the show is set), and I find it endlessly annoying that my home state is depicted in a negative light. There's so much more to the state itself, and the people who live in the state, than is shown on TV. Frustrating...

December 23, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Amanda V.

The only reason Alyssa Milano is talking this up is 'cuz she needs to find a reason to be on TV or in the news. If u think abt it what was her last gig other small no-name movies. I don't really understand what the big stink is abt this show especially if it's on MTV and it's reality TV which we all know there is nothing real about it!! We all know it's a joke! We all know it's over-exaggerated. It's not worth all this commotion!

December 23, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Josh

Where were these people when VH1 aired show after show (Flava of Love, I Love NY, etc) that portrayed African-Americans in a bad light? They were home watching and laughing. Seems it's not funny now when the joke is them.

December 23, 2009 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  44. kaitlin

What!?! There is a TV show call Jersey Shore...

December 23, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  45. ihaveopinion

I love the show. Makes me wish I was Italian-American so I could have participated in that lifestyle. Can't decide which one of the guys is my favorite but I definately love Sammi. Glad Angelina's gone...Jwoww is confusing but likable & Snooki is comic relief. I don't see what everyone is so offended about.

December 23, 2009 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Tashamack

Why would Italian Americans call this show a depiction and not the truth. Every culture has a group within the culture they wish did not exist. However the truth is the truth. Italian Americans are not the first group to have fellow group members that don't have class and are an embarrasment.

December 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Hunter

I am not defending the show but it never purports to be representing all of New Jersey or all Italian Americans. If you don't like the show, don't watch it. And dont talk about it. It is adding fuel to the fire. By creating a spoof on Funny or Die, you are not as much displaying distaste as you are adding to the hoopla surrounding it. Maybe I'm jaded but I think this may have been the intent of the show in the first place.

December 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Robert - former NY

I haven't watched the show other than seeign the clips and if that is what the show is about then I think MTV has gone into the toilet. I'm from NY, worked with and married to an Italian woman and this is a far cry from describing an Italian American. I thought MTV was to stand for Music Television so what does that have to with music any way. To me when I would think of someone who is Italian I think that would represent passion and this is not even about that. I really believe that MTV should either vanish or go back to what the acronymn is to stand for.

December 23, 2009 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Suzanne

She probably also hates it because she is from Staten Island and it portrays Islanders as idiots (what else is new, ALL TV does that to us).

December 23, 2009 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  50. ang

Who the heck i she and who cares what she says. Is this the only way for her to get publicity? I don't care what anyone says. I like the show. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

December 23, 2009 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  51. gruppo

I have had it with the distortion of Italians. It seems we are always fair game. Try that with any other ethnic group and see what happens. I guess that's the price we paid for all the hardships our grandparents endured trying to make sure future generations completely integrated into the American culture. Like forbidden to speak Italian (you are an American) and American names.
    Shows like Jersey Shores and the Sopranos are a disgrace to the memories of our grand parents and what they suffered through. For me, my little protest will be to cancel my cable unless MTV is dropped.

December 23, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  52. MATT MARTIN from East Longmeasow

Alyssa Milano is a joke! The Jersey shore is Pure Entertainment, All there Entertainers or all haters. ITS a Buissness MTV got eat To!!!!!

December 23, 2009 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Proud Canadian

Isn't thgis what American TV is all about! Wouldn't make me a proud American to havbve Jersey Shores on the air!

December 23, 2009 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Shay-Boogie

I have no interest in the show whatsoever, but honestly folks we all have people in our ethnic groups that make us cringe at some of the bulls#@t they do. Real talk, these people do exist. all we can do is DO BETER to represent our race,and ethnic groups. I am from jersey born and raised and there really are a bunch of people who act like this at the jersey shore. They are on the boardwalks every summer, at all the beach clubs and think they are HOT SH*#@T when they are really a HOT MESS.

December 23, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Diva

Ok, I watched the video, I get what she is saying – but is it really THAT big of a deal. The way I look at it is if you are dumb enough to believe that this is how all Italian Americans behave then YOU should be on JS! They picked a group of wild kids with distorted views of the world to follow around. I mean, would you want to watch a show about polo shirt wearing, middle class kids who hang out at the local Target shopping plaza all summer? Probably not.

December 23, 2009 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Adrianne Sosanie

I don't usually comment on this stuff, but I'm from NJ and between the housewives of NJ and this new "shore" show, I'm glad I don't live there anymore. They truly are an embarrassment and just add fuel to the fire of the derision that NJ has gotten for a long time.

December 23, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  57. mtrunner

A show for Kate to join!

December 23, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |