August 10th, 2009

Outpouring of support for Paula Abdul

A few weeks ago I posted a blog where I said that I wouldn’t mind if Paula Abdul left American Idol for greener pastures. At the time, I never thought in a million years that she wouldn’t come back to Idol, I just was voicing my opinion that I wouldn’t be devastated if she didn’t. For all of the flack that Paula gets, I didn’t think I would be the only one that felt that way.  Boy was I wrong!

Ever since Paula sent out her bombshell tweets, I have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support for her. I have to tell you that I honestly didn’t know how many people liked her on the show. It seemed to me that Paula was constantly the butt of every American Idol joke that was made- so how is it that so many people are threatening to boycott the show now that she is gone? I don’t understand it!

I think it is wonderful to be supportive of someone; I am truly touched by how much people seem to care about Paula and her future.  My question is simply this: where were these people when she was on Idol? When she had a hard time stumbling through her sentences and at times was a little bit of a national joke? Remember when she couldn’t remember if a contestant had sung once or twice? People were saying that it was time for her to leave the show. So why the public outrage now? What changed?

What do you think? Will you watch American Idol without Paula?

For all of the latest details on the Great Paula Abdul American Idol Debate, be sure to watch Showbiz Tonight at 11pm ET/PT on HLN- don’t miss it!

1. Thomas

Paula was the one and only truly ATTRACTIVE judge on the show. She was more attractive than most of the YOUNGER female amateur guests (none of THEM are stars yet). Even though she may have seemed a bit kooky at times, her positions were quite refreshing and wanted (I am sure) by the guests.

One can only assume that the show will now morph into a boring amateur-hour with nothing more than a bunch of SIMON wanna-be's for judges. And even if another judge is found with Paula's ageless beauty, it will take time for those of us who have become accustomed to her style to tune in to watch a new and unknown skirt attempt to fill in and prove that she belongs there instead of Abdul.

Here's hoping that Paula Abdul is able to not only return to the limelight, but return in a way that proves how much better she is as compared to the fat-cat do-nothings she is leaving behind;. Good riddance, Idle!

August 15, 2009 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BJean

This is one person along with my family that will not watch American Idol without Paula. It is so unfair that this show has shown discrimination between male and female. True I believe that Paula was making a good salary compared to so many people, but if Ryan and Simon are $$$$$$$Millons more that Paula then discrimination has been shown. Really none of them should be making that much money for what they do.

August 11, 2009 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Matthew

Paula was the only real Artist on that show that had made it to the Top of the charts

August 11, 2009 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Susanna

I always defended Paula when people talked about her, I just didn't have a TV show, blog, or radio show to be heard. Just like all the pro athletes, she has been abusing her joints for a long time. She is a professional dancer, and over time, is in pain. The medicine only works for so long. Will I watch the show now that she is gone? No. I stopped watching last season in the middle of it. I can't take Kara. Not only would they have to bring Paula back and pay her fairly, they need to get rid of Kara. Remember in the 80's when they tried "New Coke"? Sometimes change is not good. It's time for Simon to admit he was wrong about this, bring Paula back with an appropriate amount of well deserved a#$ kissing, and get back to the Idol we used to love.

August 11, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lashon

BOYCOTT IDOL!!!

August 11, 2009 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pat

I will miss Paula...She is the one with a real heart on the show...The producers are wrong. They should reconsider.......hope to see her SYTYCD

August 11, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. selena

i will not watch american idol without paula she was the heart of the show and no one can replace her she's the one , she's funny and hot

August 11, 2009 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. kevin.

love her! she's more interested in offering helpful criticism than biting insults. She's the perfect tempering of the ridiculous Simon,. I've been in the music business for more than 20 years, and I've managed several nationally successful artists. Simon may be successful, but his judgment is very questionable. I'd trust Paula to select a talent for my radio show here in Atlanta before I would Simon the stupe.

August 11, 2009 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sonia

I have watched Idol since day one, but now that Paula won't be back i won't be watching it ever again. What a stupid decision not to bring her back, i hope Idol loses its ratings...

August 10, 2009 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nethie

No, I won't be watching American Idol without Paula. She was the heart of the show. Randy's too much of a Yes Man, Kara is too clinical and Simon is paid to be the jerk. Paula softened the edges. There's no point in watching a show with no heart.

August 10, 2009 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Blossom

I think that a lot of the people that comment on line, or on the radio, or late night comedians are by nature snarky, rude, and over all not very nice.
    When faced with a person that is compassionate, kind, respectful and thoughtful they not only see magnified the things they are lacking but also feel threatened. This is why in past Paula Abdul has been the butt of so many vicious attacks.
    But, I think most people are good. Most people want to know that there is at least one good person out there who is rooting for them. Who believes in the power of positivity. That believes "to do unto others as you would have them do to you" These are the people who speak up now.
    Bullies always are louder and force their opinion on others, but luckily they aren't the majority.
    The people who have picked on Paula should really be ashamed of themselves. They took the cheap and easy way to a laugh, instead of embracing a positive personality that believes in the power of love.
    At the end of the day Paula wins, because when love and compassion are the corner stones of your personality you are a happy person.
    Snarky bitter bullies are not.

August 10, 2009 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kit

Paula was an important part of American Idol. For her to be offered so much less than the others amounts to discrimination. Keira is a DUD. She is not likeable and is irritating.

August 10, 2009 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Gayle

I believe for her to have her own voice heard she needs to move on past Idol.. In all reality contest shows the judges have to make their opinions heard and Paula's have been somewhat drowned out by others who seem to be more interested in themselves.

August 10, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Linda

yes I will. I like her but Simon is really the show

August 10, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. LBW

I am not a fan of Paula, but she should have received equal pay on that show. Simon Scowl and Fat Randy do not deserve more money. I wish her the best.

August 10, 2009 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Denise

I think she was the best part of the show, sort of made it a comedy which was needed based on all the serious bad singing going on most of the time. She was the comic relief needed for what is a pretty boring show!!! I won't watch without her.

August 10, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Dave and Sheri

Boycott a great show because one of the judges decided to leave? I think not. American Idol is about the musical ability of the contestants, not necessarily about the judges. Even though my family chuckled heartily at some of Paula's commentary through the years, as long as the contestants keep coming and are as interesting as they have been each season, Paula will not be missed.

August 10, 2009 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Maureen Murphy

I think too many people are too intolerant – period. They rush to judgement. They are becoming like sharks, ready to rip anyone apart with very little consideration of the person as a human being. Look at how they tortured Michael Jackson and now it's a different story. I'm for seeing if things can be worked out rather than lopping people off at the knees – throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Who knows why she fumbled her words. Maybe she's got other problems that can be worked with. Maybe she was being harassed and pressured to the point where she lost her confidence. It happens. We start to believe the criticisms, become less confident and end up living up to the false judgements projected on us. What happened to the old saying – Walk a mile in my moccasins? Benefit of the doubt? The glass is half full? Positive thinking?

August 10, 2009 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Denver

Nope. Will not watch AI without Paula.

August 10, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Fred - Brandon MB

I stopped watching American Idol about three years ago, so Paula's leaving will not affect me. But I saw this coming when they added a second female judge last year. The producers were easing out Paula and her sometimes bizarre behaviour.

August 10, 2009 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Kass

She can stay if she and Simon PROMISE to quit the, hmmm-what do I call it – flirting/fighting/hand-holding/kissing slop. Like her on the show but put her on other end – AWAY from Simon. Yikes! Really a ridiculous appearing distraction!

August 10, 2009 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  22. boakyewaa glover

Its the same with Michael Jackson isnt it? He was the subject of endless jokes and scandal. And then he died, and everyone just broke down. Its typical human nature, we do it with our loved ones. We never express how much we care until something dramatic or drastic happens.
    I wrote a blog a couple of months ago, called 'Love Me Now' because i'm a little guilty of that behavior.
    I stopped watching American Idol some years ago, but when I heard Paula was leaving, I knew for sure I wasn't going to make any attempt to start watching it again. Why didn't I watch when she was on?
    People like underdogs, and Paula has become an underdog. Ryan and Simon earn millions and millions, so that makes the masses think Paula is being treated unfairly.
    If Paula was making as much as the others, I don't think the reaction would be like this.
    Fox has now changed the dynamics of a good thing, lets wait and see if viewers really boycott. I know I will.

August 10, 2009 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |