May 20th, 2009

Top 2: Rod Stewart is still sexy

Lord, they are really trotting them all out tonight, aren't they?

As soon as I heard the guys singing "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy," I knew Rod Stewart was somewhere close. His "Maggie" has everyone grooving, and we flash to Carrie Underwood and Bo Bice feeling it. Nicole Richie is even there. And was that her baby daddy with his hair dyed blond?

They have really pulled out all the stops tonight.

The last "Golden Idol" thingie is being awarded, and I could not care less - except that I had almost forgotten about Tatiana! She can sing, and despite there being a whole lot of crazy stuffed into one little girl, I wouldn't have minded seeing her make the final 13.

Filed under: television

1. Jeff

OK, I'll stay.

We may have elected Obama president, but at least we didn't elect adam an Idol...

He's a 1 trick pony, and that one trick is irritating after a while.

He'll do fine in vegas, just not on the radio.

May 21, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mary Paula

Hello,
    what it is, it is. History in the making. Meant to be. The show was wonderful. The best show I've seen in such a long time. It seemed that this show brought back everthing back down to earth. Young kids, still like the older songs. Some still like Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett, etc.. It's all good music, maybe that's the reasons. You never forget the good and happy songs that bring you home. I like all kinds of music and I can tell you that show was tops. Even though some people believe it should have only pertained to American Idol alone, I saw the show as a whole, and a wonderful experience.
    It's about time we had some good entertainment. Good Luck to all those great singers that were on the show, and Chris and Adam, I believe will have a good future. They like music and they can sing.
    Best to all,
    Mary

May 21, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. KathyM

I was stunned when I saw his appearance last night on Idol. Rod Stewart looks old and ugly, can hardly walk, and has lost his voice. He should retire.

May 21, 2009 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. There might be some of that involved

Rod, was he almost falling, several times???? what a joke!

And, to AmericaWheresYourHonesty:

I am an artist, non-religious (yet spiritual), and I'm as liberal and open-minded as they come; but let me tell you that Adam, for all of his talent, totally annoyed the living crap out of me!

EVERY time Adam sang he just HAD to do that nasal scream-whine-thing, UGH! He always annoyed me a little bit, as much as I recognize his talent, he was way too annoying and I believe that many others feel the same way. It has NOTHING to do with people only liking Kris because they are hard core Christian, or anti-gay or anything, so please:grow up.

May 21, 2009 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. WTF was that all about?

Um, what exactly was the deal with that whole "Golden" award and then the ridiculous fake stunt with that weirdo running onto the stage and singing. Come on Idol!

She has a good voice though...too bad she's a total head case!

May 21, 2009 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. Give me abreak

Was Rod stumbling around on the stage?

He can still sing, I'll give him that.

May 21, 2009 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. Melissa

Rod Stewart was so drunk he could barely walk. Good singer though he may be.

May 21, 2009 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. deb

I've always been a Rod Stewart fan. He did seem to appear drunk? Was there a reason for this? Kinda hard to have seen him this way at his age..... 🙂 Whaaaa????? Really...... did he just trip on stuff or what? I'm glad that they didn't make him do a hokey version of his song like they did to Carlos Santana. OUUUUUUch! Sorry for Carlos......

May 21, 2009 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. JSK

You gotta be kidding... Rods voice has gotten so bad from age, I did not like his performance at all.

May 21, 2009 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. Nance

I saw Rod Stewart in concert a long time ago ..when I did think he was sexy. I am glad for him that he found the love of his life and is finally happy but perhaps he should confine himself to cd's. The personal appearance just remind me of how old I'm getting...Sorry Rod...still love ya!

May 21, 2009 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. Reader715

America Voted...the majority of the votes went to Kris...for those of you complaining...did you vote? I agree that Adam is talented but the shreaking shreaking shreaking was a HUGE turn off (how the heck did religion get pulled into this). Kudos to Idol for pulling out all the stops last night. It was really fun to watch the show. Adam will have NO problems finding a gig...he's probably better off not winning...WTG Kris!

May 21, 2009 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  12. merly

Pam and Maria i agree with u. dont know what that girls thinking Tatiana?? It is a singing contest not a pageant. what a show off, but congrats to the winners ur of all a winners. We will see what the future holds for all of u. God Bless.

May 21, 2009 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. donna

Don't worry.... Adam is the next Freddie Mercury! He will do great things in the music world! I do not think his background had ANYTHING to do with the win. Danny Gokey fans had to vote for someone.... Kris was it. Not to mention he has talent and appeal to younger women. Congrats Kris!!!! Take a bow for a well deserved win!!

May 21, 2009 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. sunsetkati

Well, I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought poor Rod was drunk. I was sorta kinda hopng that I was mistaken, but there it was, more than once. and i agree – about half-way through it seemed as if he really didn't give a damn anymore. Rod, I loved ye when ye were young (and so was I) – time to relax.

May 21, 2009 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  15. Gwennie

I am glad Adam did not win the title or he would be stuck in a 5 year contract with American Idol and would not be able to mastermind his own destiny Imagine the honor of possibly singing with Queen who lost their amazing vocalist Freddy Mercury or maybe Slash bringing back Guns n Roses with Adam as lead vocals. Or maybe a stint on Broadway in Phantom. The possibilities are endless if he is out on his own. You know someone is scouting him. Adam is the Johnny Depp of the music world.

May 21, 2009 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  16. Lindsay

I haven't been a Kara fan all season, but she just about redeemed herself tonight when she came out and sang with bikini girl – what-ever-her-name-is. Bikini girl looked stunned – and when Kara ripped open her dress to reveal her black bikini, she totally out-staged bikini girl! Way to go Kara!!!! That was great stuff!

May 21, 2009 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  17. Linda

He was under the influence of something, WOW!

May 21, 2009 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  18. curious_2008

Rod looks horrible, of course, he has for awhile now... I would have laughed my butt off if he would have fell when he stumbled. The man has lost his rhythm for sure.

May 20, 2009 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Lindy Loo

Disappointed in all the negative comments here and how ugly people have become. Do you think anyone cares about your insults? Try being nice for a change; maybe somebody will listen and take you seriously.

This was an awesome show. Loved every minute of it.

May 20, 2009 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Nancy

Rod.... still rockin it out! I loved it!

May 20, 2009 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  21. mik

ooooouups! Rod??!!!!???
    Man,what a thin, whiney, non-performance!
    I was crinching in my seat watching it!
    Sad, really; he was once quite awesome but is now riding on "fame" long worn out ........... LONG!

May 20, 2009 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  22. sincerelysandi

I saw him stumble on the way out and then again on the stage, but there was a light on the floor because I looked to see what he might have stumbled on. He is still awesome. I never thought he was good looking, but I always thought he was sexy. Why? i don't have a clue, but it was good to see him and so many other like Lionel Richie whom I have loved for many, many years. I'm glad Kris won, Adam was too flambouyant and screamed too much. He will have a huge career but Kris represents America better as an Idol. It was good to see Bo Bice in the audience and Reuben, and of course, superstar, Carrie.

May 20, 2009 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  23. dovie

Did he stumble down the stairs or was it my imagination. And, then again out by the end of the stage.

May 20, 2009 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  24. ellen

Rod is Rod is Rod – but I thought it was interesting that he's the only one that did not sing WITH other people. I guess he thinks he's the queen AND the champion and didn't want to share the stage. Sad.

May 20, 2009 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Steve

Rod was blinded by the lights coming off the stairs. He stumbled on the circular depression in front of the mike stand. If he had been drunk or high he wouldn't have missed a step. He built the song to a great finale! Real artist.

May 20, 2009 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  26. wordgirl

As huge act after huge act from yesteryear was trotted out, I couldn't help but picture some dusty old trap door in the floor backstage where Idol keeps them all until they need them...

May 20, 2009 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Galoux

Oh, I think Rod is still sexy, but I'm 55, so to me he's only a somewhat older man. As to his performance, I thought Rod should have hung it up when I saw him a year or two ago, and his voice is just about gone now. He looked frail out there, stumbling. I was worried for him, and I cringe to think of him touring. Sorry, Rod. Just trying to keep it real.

May 20, 2009 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  28. wordgirl

Okay, that was just ridiculous. Rod Stewart was almost comically geezer-like and unsteady and shriveled. C'mon people!! He may be a legend, but he should perform sitting down at the very least. And, was it just me, or did he seem drunk?

May 20, 2009 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  29. linda

I thought he was drunk. He stumbled twice, and he was dancing stange! Does anyone else think so?

May 20, 2009 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  30. AmericaWheresYourHonesty

OK, that's it. End of story. I will never watch American Idol again. This is a travesty. Adam Lambert is THE single most talented contestant ever on this stage. America voted the Jesus ticket because they were too afraid of what Adam might *possibly* be. Beware. Your prejudices are showing really red around your collective necks.

May 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  31. gregg

lee.. u r quite stupid
    rod looked like death

May 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Dawn

Wow, What is -wrong- with Americans? First they vote in George Bush, now KRIS ALLEN? He is nowhere NEAR as talented as Adam Lambert, and certainly didn't dominate the entire season the way Adam did. I am just astounded. What a dissapointing finale.

May 20, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Melissa E.

Typo... Bo Bice.

May 20, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  34. gregg

wowooooooooooooooooooooooowowowowowowowowow,

May 20, 2009 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Greg

Too bad he was drunk or high. Did you see him stumble twice?

May 20, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Marie

Was it just me or did Rod appear slighly drunken? The beginning of the song was a tad wobbly and he didn't seem to give a crap half way through??

May 20, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Pam

I could have lived without seeing tatiana she is so annoying.

May 20, 2009 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  38. merlin

Rod was not EVER sexy, just a candle to some very confused moths....

May 20, 2009 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Mary

Good lord, Rod looks like he's a million years old. But it was fun to see him – and you're right – they are trotting out everyone tonight. I have to admit after the first 15 minutes of the show I thought it was going to be a dull night – but this is entertaining as all get out! and then Queen!!

May 20, 2009 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Maria

Tatiana is crazy!

May 20, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Lee

Rod can still sing and looks great too. The show is simply amazing. American Idol is really out-doing themselves tonight. Surprise after surprise. Who's it going to be next???

May 20, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Tia

From the intro my husband and I both went – Rod Stewart?! On the show! Wow that man has still got it. I love the AI finals, seeing such amazing artists showing these kids how it is done! Stunning, I am speechless.

May 20, 2009 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |