May 20th, 2009

Top 2: No joke - Steve Martin is in the house

Steve Martin and his banjo. Megan Joy and Michael Sarver singing. What more can I say?

No, seriously. I kid because I love. Steve's song "Pretty Flowers" is a lovely banjo piece, and I think  I am going to just leave it at that.

I will say his surprise appearance is one of the things I love about this show. You just never know who's going to pop up.

Filed under: television

1. Mike

Very nice song. I'm not a big Megan or Michael fan. I think Megans voice really fit the song.

May 21, 2009 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mike

At first I thought this was going to be comedy sketch. Then I wondered why Steve Martin got the honor of playing Banjo in the national spotlight. Only when they said Steve Martin wrote the song did I feel he was worthy of being on that stage. It was a very nice song. Oh, and I loved Steve's comment at the end "I know its a long shot, but I'm hoping I win". I laughed out loud for 2 minutes at that!

May 21, 2009 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. deb

Megan is a funny girl.....I think a person like Steve Martin can appreciate that. Her quirkiness is right up his silly ally..... I liked Megan, and enjoyed her style of singing. I would actually listen to music from her. Once in a While......that is..... The song got a little messed up for sure. But it was pure funny anyway. Steve Martin and banjo tunes.... Hmmmm... I'll have to check that one out.

May 21, 2009 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. Travis

Ban Megan from singing? Ban Adam from singing, he makes my ears bleed and sounds like livestock being slaughtered.

This song was.................interesting, especially compared to the rest of the show.

May 21, 2009 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Lynne

I love Megan's singing. It's quirky. In fact, when Fergie came on, I thought it was Megan singing. They're very similar.

May 21, 2009 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. Nancy

I TOTALLY LOVED the song! I really did! Steve MARTIN in the house! ROCKIN IT! Love ya Steve... (your movie Shop Girl was creepy though.. no more of those)

May 20, 2009 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Peggy

I thought the duet was wonderful. Megan and Michael both sang it well. I really think Megan is a better singer than she is given credit for.

May 20, 2009 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Galoux

I haven't seen Steve with his banjo is SO long! Nice treat. Though I coulda done without Megan Joy.

May 20, 2009 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Wizard

Loved Steve Martin! And, still love "King Tut"!! To KMH....you've got the right idea! Megan Joy is ridiculous!

May 20, 2009 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Judette

Please have Megan from singing

May 20, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Audrey

This has been the highlight of the show -and a great show it has been – for me. The scene up on the stage was vintage country, Steve is great, and I loved M&M's performace. Go AI for providing something for us Americana fans!

May 20, 2009 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bonnie

I am getting sooo nervous...it is almost time

May 20, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dyan

I thought the performance was cute and quirky for Megan Joy. Michael sounded great as well. Steve's comment at the end of the song was great. Good luck winning, Steve! 😉

May 20, 2009 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jason

Jaywalk Marketing missed didn't catch that it was Steve Martin – oh well – next time! Kiss was good and black eyed peas.

May 20, 2009 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JST

Who's next? Elvis?

May 20, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Danielle

KRIS ROCKS!!! Adam is so drama and annoying! He's about as cool as Richard Simmons...his singing all sounds identical. That stupid ahhhhhhhhhhh scream he does in ALL his songs is ridiculous. Yeah, he was cool in the beginning but nothing changes with him. Now Kris...he is so unique and original. He has come so far on this show and definitely someone our group of family and friends will be listening to for years to come...just like Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. He's going to be the third best ever!!!

May 20, 2009 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Bob

Steve should've sung that song. He's multi-talented.

Michael & Megan sure made a holy mess of it.

May 20, 2009 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  18. KMH

I think a law should be passed to never allow Megan Joy to sing in public ever again. Props to Steve Martin though.

May 20, 2009 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  19. FL loves IDOL

Michael was good...Megan was HORRIBLE...reminds me of why she was sent packin early...

May 20, 2009 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Tia

Steve Martin playing a banjo? Writing songs? Releasing an album? Wow.
    And Megan and Michael just continued to prove why they have no business competing with the caliber of contestants that were on this year.
    I could have just settled for a commercial break instead.

May 20, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  21. TCJ

Sure Steve is great, but that was horrible performance by M& M. I'd rather hear BG sing again.

May 20, 2009 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Dennis Carpenter

Hate to show my age, but reminds me of the surprise appearances on the old Ed Sullivan show. I really wish we had more live entertainment shows in prime time.

May 20, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |