May 20th, 2009

Religious 'Idols'?

As just about everyone tries to pinpoint who will win "American Idol" on Wednesday, there is buzz out there in the blogosphere that religious "Idol" watchers, many of whom were Danny Gokey fans, are rallying around Kris Allen.

Gokey, who made it to the final three, was well known as a worship leader from Milwaukee, and Kris Allen reportedly also has strong ties to the music ministry at his church in Arkansas.

That, coupled with speculation about Adam's sexuality, has led to some talk that there may be a red state-blue state battle going on this season.

After part one of the finale on Tuesday night, Rudy Garza commented on this blog that "The conservative Christians will rally around Kris and he will pull it out tomorrow."

That elicited a response from ChristiansForAdam, who posted, "Hey Fellow Christians, god doesn’t require you to vote for Kris. In fact Adam is god’s creature also. And remember how some folks didn’t like Jesus cause he was different and a rabble rouser and stuff."

But is it about Christianity or just one fan base choosing to switch sides?

When Kris bested Danny to make it to the final two, fan BR commented on this blog that "It is clear that all of Danny’s fans will go for Kris. Kris has a great chance of winning the idol. I’m a Danny fan, will be voting for Kris!"

- Lisa Respers France, CNN.com Writer

Filed under: television

« Previous entry
  1. melissa

To Beth C: Unfortunately, votes will and did go to Kris because of the Christian swell for him. It is not an insult to Christianity, it is the unfortunate truth that misguided "Christians" put their weight behind what they interpret as the the truth. America would not let a possibly gay human being become the Idol. Adam is way more talented than Kris. Much more creative and a much stronger voice. It was obvious and even Kris said Adam should have won. For the record, I am a Christian, God has worked miracles in my life and don't support homesexuality. I do support and love people, as Jesus did, and believe in sharing God's laws and word with ALL people. This was supposed to be a TALENT contest, but as usual turned into a popularity contest.

May 20, 2009 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DeLong

I'm christian and to hold the values of Adam to that of a politician is just "stupid", he's a youngster with a great singing voice..that is what is needs to be judged on, his singing. Isn't this American Idol, not running for President where we tear a person's life apart....?

Adam and Kris have great careers ahead of them if they have the proper support, unlike Mr. Hicks which seems was a waste of efforts by all who voted for him....

The point from DeLong

May 20, 2009 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cycoblitz

See, Christians who vote for Adam do so because of his talented singing. Not because we JUDGE him, and we don't vote for someone else because we REFUSE to vote for a person who MAY be gay.

Please don't ever think that all Christians are like you, Carla. If you really believe that you know who is suited for the kindom of heaven, I believe that's a sin. How do you know? Did Jesus condemn homosexuality? Show me.

May 20, 2009 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. BethC

As a person whose Christianity is strong, to state that the "christian votes" would automatically go the Kris, frankly is an insult to both Kris and us Christians. I have watched this show every season and I have NEVER voted for a person strickly on his/hers religious stance, frankly that has never really been a factor to me. This is NOT a religious program, it's "secular" or "regular" television. I watch it for it's entertainment value, not for any other reason. Therefore I vote based upon who I think is the best singer, if he/she is a christian, then fine, but that is not, nor has ever been, a determinig factor.
    I am hoping and rooting for Kris, because I believe he IS the stronger competitor of the two. Yes Adam can sing, and scream, but Kris not only sings, he arranges his song choices that even rivals David Cook, and plays multiple instruments and frankly I thought he ran circles around Adam last night. Plus "would I buy the album" and with Kris the answer is yes, Adam it is no, pure and simple.

May 20, 2009 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tim

To all the wonderful Christians who can appreciate Adam's talent without judgment, I applaud you!

To the others who are bringing his sexuality or religion in as a reason to dislike, YOU ARE THE ONES GIVING RELIGION AND CHRISTIANITY A BAD NAME.

Wasn't Jesus Jewish? Wouldn't you have judged him for not having girlfriends???

Strange people, some of you Christians, the rest are ALRIGHT with me!

I love Jesus, gay people, and Jewish people. I just love, like Jesus!!

May 20, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Robin

I am a Christian and believe in everything the bible says, which includes repeated warnings that it is not our job to judge others. Adam is clearly the more talented individual. I voted for him, because I have no right to judge his lifestyle, only his talent. The narrow-minded Christians that feel homosexuality is a sin should take a long look at their own life before passing judgement on others. I guarantee each and every one of us has characteristics that the bible says are wrong. Remember, we are supposed to love our neighbors, no matter what their lifestyle. I pray for all those "Christians" passing judgement today, and I hope Adam wins.

May 20, 2009 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bobbaloo

pretty pathetic when people insist on foisting their religion into a singing tv show. To 'not' vote for Adam for those inane reasons is sad, ignorant and pathetic.

as for these 'christians' spouting all this hate...they just prove that they arent true Christians. (that includes you carla)

May 20, 2009 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jimmy

To Carla – Its amazing how people love to highlight certain points in the bible yet skip over others. Not to far after the “all gays go to hell part” doesn’t it state were not to eat crustaceans? Funny how you bible thumpers never bring that one up.

May 20, 2009 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bg

I am a longtime AI fan and a Christian but honestly I was unaware of either Danny or Kris' connection to Christianity and it certainly has not been a factor in my liking them. When I cannot understand a singer because they are screeching I am going to find someone else to listen to.

May 20, 2009 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Carla

Hello, ChristiansforADAM!!! You can't be a Christian and stand up for homosexuality, and downright vulgar jestures. The bible repeatedly tells you that homosexuality is a sin those who participate in those type of activities will not enter the kingdom of heaven..... So you can NOT call yourself a Christian and stand up for ADAM!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2009 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Diane Talbert

Although I believe Adam's voice surpasses any contestants this year, if the Danny voters went to Kris, then he will probably win. What bothers me is the "Christians" are voting for reasons other than for the best singer. I believe Adam's cd will be a huge hit! I can't wait to buy it. P.S. I am a Christian, have been for 38 yrs!

May 20, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MR

Some of these comments are ridiculous. I am Jewish and voted for Kris because I prefer him. Does that make me bigoted against Adam? Hardly. I actually like Adam a lot and I think he is incredibly talented. He just isn't my cup of tea when he hits those high notes.

I assume most people voted for who they wanted because they preferred that person, not because of that person's religious affiliation. Or I'd hope so. Maybe I'm the naive one...

May 20, 2009 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jimmy

Ardent big (D) and happily living in a blue state, but I feel the red-blue divide couldn't be any further from reality this time. I support Kris because, let the novelty of this statement sink in, I actually think he's a better singer than Adam. I'm more apt to side with athiests than evangelicals on almost every issue, but that has nothing to do with American Idol.

May 20, 2009 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. blueeyedbabe

I am a Christian.... and who am I to judge Adam? I voted for Scott ... after Scott Danny.... now Adam

May 20, 2009 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mel

Let me get this straight. The only reason religion has been brought into this is because Rudy Garza made a comment on his blog saying christians will vote for Kris. Then a christian responded on his blog that basically said he was wrong. Am I missing something? Who the heck cares what Rudy Garza says. Who the heck is Rudy Garza? Does anyone care? I am a christian, over 40, republican, conservative, and it never entired my mind to even consider sexuallity in a singing/performing contest. I have not heard of anyone else other than Rudy whotheheckishe Garza that thinks sexuality has any bearing. Maybe those of you criticizing christians should instead be focusing your outrage at the individual Rudy. But then again who gives a rats a$$ what he thinks.

May 20, 2009 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Lorraine

Danny could have sung that song last night. It bombed for both Adam and Kris (I agree with the guy who said, "it took three people to write that lousy song?")

May 20, 2009 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Maria

How come all comments are not being posted?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I posted one about 3 hours ago and I guess because it wasn't mean enough or degrading enough it doesn't get posted. I used no bad language and actually had a positive comment. Ridiculous

May 20, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jon

The comments on this board are shocking. People are reading this article and assuming the 'Christians' are as one voting against Adam. That is hilarious. Some of us 'Christians' don't care who wins. Also, the name calling and ridiculous comments towards those of faith shows the true content of a person's character. If you don't have the ability to discuss something without calling people morons or insulting their intelligence, then stop talking. If you disagree then fine, nothing wrong with that.

Everyone has a right to their opinion. I thought liberal minds were supposed to be the most open and tolerant? What a joke. I myself am conservative, church-going, and I follow the Lord in my life. Guess what else...I have gay friends, do not live in a trailer park, read several books a month, raise a son and have a lovely wife, give to charity, and do everything I can to be nice and share life with people.

Perhaps your stereotypes of conservative Christians are just as bad as those you think we have of you. Take a trip to a church one Sunday, walk a neighborhood with us and get to know us. You will be surprised. We are not what CNN makes us out to be. Just like you wouldn't want to be labeled without evidence, we feel the same way.

We are not all racists. We do not sit around plotting ways to overthrow the government. We don't all think Pres. Obama is a socialist. We were just as mad at government spending with Pres. Bush was in office as we are now. We don't quote Fox News like the Bible. So, instead of sitting around yelling and calling us names, get to know us, you might like us...most of us get along with you.

May 20, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  19. l starks-gay

Sure glad race is not involved

God help us all

May 20, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Julie D

Why does the state of Adam's sexuality matter.... talent is not decided like that. He is talented... the end. If someone walked around declaring they were heterosexual people would find it strange that they needed to state it. Why do homosexuals have a different set of rules?

May 20, 2009 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Dan

The song was horrible. Worst Idol song ever written and there have been some clunkers! Ms. Songwriter should be ejected as a judge for her over the top self serving comments. She needs to go!

May 20, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Really?

Turns out the only thing more annoying than American Idol fanatics is Christian fanatics who are also American Idol fanatics.

May 20, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jenn

Michele, are you insinuating that Adam may not win because he's Jewish? WTF? This is the first time I've ever heard that he's Jewish, and that has absolutely no relevance to whether or not he wins. Just call it what it is. It's not prejudice. If it was, an obese southern black man could have never won. It's talent, how the contestant relates to the audience, and what type of music voters will listen to on the radio. I personally think Adam is awesome, and he'll probably win. But I can't deal with people declaring - before the winner is even announced - that one won't win over the other because of prejudice.

It's a popularity contest, plain and simple. And since the viewers are the ones that will either make the winner a megastar like Carrie, or a has-been like that guy from the first season with the weird hair, I think they're the best ones to choose. Either way, Adam is going to be a big star. He's incredibly talented.

May 20, 2009 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Lou

Hi, there is not much to say. Anyone who understand the music even just a tiny bit knows that Kris happend to be in the Idol finals only by mistake (Danny is the guy who was supposed to be standing there with Adam).

The competition in singing should remain to be about the ability to SING and not about angelic looks or being a religious person.

May 20, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Claudia

This is Americal Idol, not Christian Idol. The diversity amongst all contestants attests to that. I don't understand why people would use religion as a reason to vote for the most talented singer. It's about the singing, not the religious background or sexual orientation.

May 20, 2009 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Paul from Houston, TX

Hey Pete,

Check your facts! Clay Aiken came in 2nd to Ruben Studdard and that was a big shocker too.

May 20, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jenn

OK, first off, there's no "speculation" about Adam's sexuality. Just google "Adam Lambert kissing boy." There are pictures of him totally decked out like a East Village Pet Shop Boy kissing an equally painted and glittered guy with their mouths open, tongues tangoing. There are several of these. So please stop saying he might be gay. He's on fire! (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

May 20, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Maria

Darlene: I couldn't have said it better myself!!

May 20, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jimmy

In response to Christopher – dozent = doesn't and reson=reason and jest=just. Typical response from an obviously under educated rightwing nut job. I would suggest spending a little more time out of your trailer and away from the church and try to get in some as you probably say “Lern-in”.

May 20, 2009 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Ann

Since when is American Idol about religion? How about voting for the person with the most talent? Let's leave religion out of it!

May 20, 2009 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  31. d crocker

this is a singing contest. the reason we have so much hate and distrust in the world is because the so called christians, Judgemental hypocrits that they are hate everything that is not just like them. Lets show the world that our IQ is larger that our shoe size you morons. Maybe everyone that hates hypocritical christians should vote for Adam, or maybe they sould vote for him because he deserves it with his beautiful voice.

May 20, 2009 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  32. cjames

Religion, sexual orientation? Are we still talking about these issues? If George W. Bush's presidency proves anything, it proves that organized religious groups can be swayed to vote for anything in the name of their so-called religion. Even if it's not in their personal best interest.

I was raised the son of Baptist minister (I'm non-practicing now), and we were talk that listening to secular music was wrong, because it wasn't bringing 'a joyful noise unto the Lord'. If that's the case, should Christians even be watching American Idol?

This year's Idol theme song stinks! Let's talk about that!

May 20, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Rod

This show sucks turds! Anyone who watches it religiously should get a life. Read a book, go exercise, hell even masterbating would be more productive than watching that pathetic show.

May 20, 2009 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Amused Virginian

Finally! Someone who makes sense in regard to this whole issue. I whole heartedly agree with Indiana Pagan.

If we all lived our lives to reflect the way others expect us to present ourselves, would jesus have ever been another thing other than a cookie cutter version of the rest of society?

Sexuality is a personal thing and not what a person should be judged by...

It reminds me of a verse in a song I once heard, that most people should truely take to heart and try to live by....." THE ONLY MEASURE OF YOUR WORDS AND YOUR DEEDS WILL BE THE LOVE YOU LEAVE BEHIND WHEN YOU ARE GONE.
    Notice it said LOVE and not bigoted hatred.
    Grow up people.

May 20, 2009 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  35. cmack

It's been pretty obvious who the judges' & producer's favorite is...Adam seems to get the best lighting, the best camera angles and even gets to have a longer time to enjoy his applause. Give me a break! Isn't the point of American Idol to find someone you can play on a pop radio station and nobody will change the channel? I think Kris is the only one left that fits that mold. Despite Kara's terrible song, I would still listen to Kris' version if it came on the radio....Speaking of Kara, is anyone else ready to see her exit stage left??

May 20, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Maria

I think Adam fans will blame Christians if he should lose simply because of this article. I am starting to wonder if CNN printed this article to make Christians look bad. It can't be because it was news. After all, I hadn't heard anything about Christians voting for Kris over Adam because Adam might be gay/bi. Makes me wonder if CNN has something against Christians.

As a Christians, I don't care if someone is gay/bi. When I form an opinion about someone it is based on whether or not they are a good person. Both Adam and Kris appear to be good people.

SHAME ON YOU CNN FOR BASHING CHRISTIANS!!!!

Well Christians were once killed for their beliefs and now it appears the world hasn't changed a lot. We just aren't being killed anymore. But people do look down on us. Just remember one thing.....not all Christians are narrow minded. Most are more than capable of deciding between right and wrong on their own. And most are capable of deciding on what type of music they like without having to be told. I know I am.

May 20, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Darlene

"right wing nut jobs" I love how the "all-inclusive" party of liberals accepts everyone regardless of their religious preference – RIGHT!
    As a Christian, I don't care who wins or not...this show has never been about who was the best but who got the most votes!

May 20, 2009 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Northeast Gal

Leave religion out of this. Must we taint everything???

May 20, 2009 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Meliss

OK, you have to love " YEC's " response , ya gotta love it.
    Folks , you had better clean off your OWN DOORSTEPS before you tell someone else how they should be living their lives. I voted for a great talent , artist and vocalist last night that ROCKS IT !!! And BRINGS IT ON EVERY SINGLE SONG . BEST OF LUCK ADAM , YOU SO DESERVE IT !!!

May 20, 2009 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  40. DITTO!

"Here we go again….supposed “Christians” who, despite teachings, continually judge and throw stones at those they are afraid of! One of the reasons I despise that way of life. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for juding someone you know nothing about. There is nothing wrong with anyone being gay or lesbian but there is definitely something wrong with being shallow, close-minded and hypocritical. Just because your are a “Christian” does NOT make you perfect! God would be very disappointed in all of you."

Jan, I couldn't have said it better!

May 20, 2009 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  41. LA

The song Kara wrote was terrible. It was an embarrassment for both of the singers and It should have embarrassed her for writing such a piece of crap.

Adam may actually be better off losing so he doesn't have to sing that putrid song. It is not his style, and it is not even Chris's style.

That song is a flop no matter who sings it. Garbage is garbage.

May 20, 2009 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Pete

Wait, didn't Clay Aiken win Idol?

Oh yeah that's right, the media with their selective memory never misses a chance to mock and bash Christians, and create controversy where there is none.

May 20, 2009 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Christopher

I jest wish all you left wing fairys would shut up!

The show is called "American Idol" for a reson! It has to be about all the stuff that makes America great! That dozent includ pretty boy singers wearing makeup and tearing this country down with his godless rock and roll.

I wished they would bring back that blind kid.

May 20, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  44. J

It is sad that people will bring religion and sexual orientation into this.
    This is about who the best singer is and hands down Adam is the better performer.

May 20, 2009 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  45. sabrina

To all you conservative, christian, prejudice,judgmental people on here.. It is your behavior that costs more souls to the kingdom of God..God gives talent.. He gave Adam his and Kris's his and God doesnt dissern one sin any worse than the other. Stop being so dogmatic and crazy.. Do you know how many crazy people in the world kill, destroy etc and alot of them are religious. This isnt about religion this is about spirituality.. this life we live.. Both of Adam and Kris appear to be "spiritual" Adam just has more talent and regardless of his sexual preference he is loved just as much by GOD.. So go back into your bible and your church and ask God to remove your character defect of judgment.!!!!!!! SHAME ON YOU ALL..

May 20, 2009 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  46. barbara

I mistakenly thought this was a singing contest not a religous or political war..
    Clearly Adam is the gretaer talent a what an"Idol" or icon as Paula stated should look and sound like.
    I am so damned sick of the Christian opinion on everything. Why don't they stick to the business of religion?
    I thought they got over themselbves when the country voted for a Democrat rather than a conservative christian ?
    Hope they shut up and go away.
    Stop ramming their rhetoric into every aspect of American life.. including Americam Idol !

May 20, 2009 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Sam

I'm gay and I voted for Kris because I like his stylings better. Adam's great, but Kris makes me swoon.

May 20, 2009 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  48. RT in KC

Let me state this again. The show is called "AMERICAN IDOL". Look up the word "Idol" and you will find that it means "One that is adored, often blindly or excessively". The talent piece of competitions like these are often overlooked or people's opinion of the contestants talent is distorted by other factors. The only reason this show is produced is so they can more easily find new "Idols" to sell albums, tickets, t-shirts, etc.. regardless of talent. Give the lowest common denominator what they want and make millions.

May 20, 2009 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Maria

I am really disappointed in the media for making a talent contest about religion. This a contest and it really doesn't matter who wins tonight because both will get contracts. I am a Christian and not once did it enter my mind to NOT vote for Adam because he may or may not be gay. Just like it never entered my mind to vote FOR kris because he is a Christian. I vote based on who I prefer. Adam is talented and so is Kris. Congrats to both of them for making it this far.

Having said all that, the reason I quit watching Idol this season is because of the judges and producers "pimping" Adam and Danny. All season long the judges were pushing for an Adam/Danny finale. Well the judges did not get their wish. It is Adam vs. Kris. It is as if the judges and producers think America is too stupid to figure our for themselves who they like. Well I am a fairly intelligent person and I know what I like. I know what sounds good to my ears. If Idol viewership after this season, they have no one to blame but themselves. If the judges want a say in who should win, then maybe changes need to be made.

I will watch the last 5 minutes tonight just to see who wins and then I am done. This Idol viewer is done with this show. If they want me back next season, then they better apoligize for treating me and every other Idol viewer like an idiot all season long.

May 20, 2009 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  50. kim

I think both finalists are wonderful but Adam is just my all time fav Idol ever ( besides Daughtery that is)...I tried to call in my vote and could not get through on any of the three phone numbers, either busy signals (reorder signal of fast busy) meaning lines tied up or your call cannot be completed as dialed, I even waited a couple hours and still could not get through and I tried for a very long time, such a shame that my vote could not be made for my Idol

May 20, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Kay

To "GetReal": "There is no way a real Christian votes for Adam." Oh, really? I am a real Christian. Born again, saved by grace through faith, whole nine yards. I voted for Adam. Why? Because although Kris is a very nice guy and a good well-rounded musician, Adam is clearly far more talented. You sound like one of the ones who would have asked Jesus why he was dining with prostitues and tax collectors.

May 20, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  52. TJ

Michele:

I think most Kris voters would admit that Adam has more talent and is more original in his performances, but let’s not make this into another America hates everything different and all Jew discussions.

I don’t hate Jews and I don’t hate Adam but I voted for Kris because his style of music is what I enjoy!! It’s that simple. I think your tone towards all the hatred you think Americans have for people who are different or unique is skewed by your own frustrated views. Not everyone is going to like everything you like or think the way you do and it’s not because they hate you or because it’s a different thought. It might just be they have different taste!!

May 20, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Mike

The only people concerned about Adam's sexual preference or his being jewish are the biggoted liberals. Conservatives will vote for the person who "deserves" to win like we always do. It's liberals who vote based on race or sex. Typical left wing zealot nonsense.

May 20, 2009 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Jimmy

I think if Christians want to vote based on religion, they can cough up a little of their church donation money to start their own show. Hell, I will even donate a dollar to get the right wing nut jobs out there who are voting based on religion away from the rest of us who are rational/logical.

May 20, 2009 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Tony in Phoenix

American Idol is a microcosm of American society. As such it appears to also be in the midst of a culture war. It is not just about talent, but popularity – form over substance. That mentality put someone in the White House because he was the kind of guy you would want to have a beer with.

If in fact Kris is selected it further enforces my view that America prefers the dull, bland, mediocre that satisfies the least common denominator.

It may be to Adam's benefit to NOT win American Idol. It may liberate him from that mediocre image. Take heart and look to people like Clay Aiken, Duaghtry, and Jennifer Hudson.

May 20, 2009 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Indiana Pagan

Of course religion and sexuality will have something to do with how the majority of Christians will vote! I'm not saying all, just the lion's share.

I attended a Christian school as a child, and I can remember–clearly and distinctly–being told to pressure our parents to vote for only "good" Christian political candidates, and that we should patronize Christian-run shops. Every Monday morning, we were asked if we had attended church services over the weekend, where, when, and if we had not, a note would be sent home to our parents demanding an explanation. One of my son's friends attends this same school today, and they continue to pressure children on these same issues.

As an adult, during my exploration of my own religious beliefs, I attended some informational classes at a local Catholic church. We were constantly introduced to local merchants and politicians, and told in no uncertain terms that God expected us to vote, shop, eat, and drink Christian, no matter how impractical it is. When I ventured to point out that there is a (well, theoretical, at least) separation of church and state in this country...if looks could kill, I wouldn't be composing this post now.

No, in case you're wondering, I am not a Christian; my journey and studies showed me quite clearly that my beliefs could not be contained within the narrow-minded confines of a religion built on stolen traditions and lies. No, I don't need you to pray I'll see the error of my ways, unless you are equally willing to accept Pagan prayers from an consciousless heathen such as myself, asking that you recall how to think for yourself.

I seldom watch American Idol, and honestly could not name one person on the show this season that was not mentioned in this article, but, just out of curiosity, has anyone ever considered that–Adam??–the young man in question might not consider himself one of "God's children"? Perhaps he looks on himself as the adherent to another, or perhaps to none at all, religion. And if he's gay or bi or a transsexual or even straight, who cares? It's his life, his personal business; he's on that show to prove he has singing talent, not to demonstrate his sexuality.

No, I don't expect most who read this to agree with my thoughts on these issues; I'd be surprised if what I have written isn't subjected to a series of rather fantastic backlash–but that's okay. So far as I know, it's still okay to think for oneself, be oneself, and make up one's own mind on issues in the USA, not merely regurgitate what one was told was "right".

Have a nice day.

May 20, 2009 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Michael

This is exactly why so many people are wary of religious zealots who rise to the top of any orgainzation outside the church. They are simply incapable of looking at the world in a logical fashion. Isn't American Idol supposed to be a contest of musicianship? Would the teen aged baby jesus really support this behavior? I'm certain that God would suggest that you vote for the best musician, not the best christian. I know this for certain because God told me so this morning.

May 20, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Andrew

Please...if anything Lambert being gay is a plus. The majority of people voting are teenage girls, progressive people and gay people. I doubt some old stereotypical Southerner homophobe is dialing 100 times for of all things, American Idol.

Not so sure it's a blue-state red-state thing. Wouldn't be shocked if Allen is an Obama fan.

May 20, 2009 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  59. David

Read a book, people. I can proudly say I have never seen an episode of AI.

May 20, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  60. ron

The Idol totally destroy the competition between Kris and Adam. Two out of the three songs Kris had to sing were better suited for Adam. It appeared to me the judges at the end were appolgizing to Kris for the poor song choice given to him. The singers should have sung their favorites.

Kris will win not because he is a christian but because he is a good singer. Adam will go forward with an outstanding broadway career.

May 20, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Melissa

This is a singing competition. It is also a performance competition. Adam has the better voice. A ridiculous range. He takes more chances with the music he's given, reinventing them and making them sound different from what they were recorded as. He has consistently done this week after week. Adam gets commented on his theatrics by Simon all the time. But here's the thing. When I go to a concert, yes I'm there for the music but I also want to see a good performance. There are bands out there that have great music but SUCK in concert. I'd rather see a good concert. Kris has a good voice. He's too much like Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz, Ben Folds. Not enough to stand out. He's not bold enough. I don't think Kris could pull off a huge venue style concert. He's more of an intimate setting type performer. Even Simon said in relation to Kris' second performance that it wasn't big enough. For the FINALE of Idol, you have GOT to pull out all the stops.

May 20, 2009 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  62. SB from KY

REAL christians don't judge people. I am a christian and I voted for Adam. What does the bible say? Just not lest ye be judged?

May 20, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  63. RT in KC

The name of the show is "American Idol" not "America's Best Singer". It has less to do with talent and everything to do with popularity. If you can get more people to like you (however you manage to do that), you will win. No predictions here – just stating the facts. Many of today's entertainment "Idols" have little to no talent. They just have the right look and monsterous PR machines backing them up.

May 20, 2009 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Abbottbunch

Once again all in the name of (Hocus Pocus) will raise its ugly head.
    Anyone who knows music knows that Adam is clearly the best SINGER that show has ever had.

May 20, 2009 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  65. JackJack

Lame...seriously, anyone who views their Idol vote through the eyes of religion needs to wake up and take a serious look in the mirror. Do you see the hatred seething out of you? Where did Jesus say it was okay to hate? Besides which, Idol is pretty lame itself after the audition episodes are done with, ha ha. 😉

May 20, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  66. allie

Judging from comments I've read here and elsewhere, there is definitely a political undercurrent running through this competition–at least for some people. Many Adam haters like to claim that their dislike has nothing to do w/his mysterious sexuality and gender-bending looks. But I don't believe them. Why all the hate? I don't care for Kris as a singer–he's about as exciting as a bar of soap. But I don't hate him. He seems like a nice enough guy and I hope he has a successful career. I'm sure there are people (like Lisa Respers) who don't like Adam for other reasons, but my point is that the content and tone of many of the anti-Adam comments has been disturbing. Meanwhile, for those of us who can see the light - Adam is spectacular. His rendition of "A Change" was the best idol performance ever. (Now watch how many people will want to tear that opinion apart.)

May 20, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Nancy

Besides all of you Adam fans....how would you feel if people voted for Kris out of spite because of what the judges said and Kris won? Think about that.

May 20, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Cindy in Austin

I'm a Christian and yeah...that initially drew me to Danny. But I ended up loving his voice and his wonderful attitude. Listening to him describe how his own aunt muted him was hilarious–self-deprecating and genuine. I'd definitely pay to see Adam on Broadway, but would never buy his album. He has a fabulous voice, but everything starts to sound the same and I guess I just don't get the over the top scream. It's in tune, but he's just too 80s glam for this well over 40 year old R&B lover.

May 20, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  69. David brant

First of all I consider myself a Christian.
    Second of all, what does this have to do with who should win American Idol?
    Who knows what Kris' or Adams beliefs are? And I don't really care.
    I vote for the person who I think is the best singer/performer.
    That's all that should count.

To all the Christians out there; WWJD

Answer: Think about it.

May 20, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  70. E.

Are you serious? This is news? Come on CNN. Surely you could come up with something more relevant than religion on a relality TV show.

May 20, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Lisa B in FL

Oh please. Don't tell me this. I am so sick to death of Christians and religion I could puke! If Kris wins because the "do gooders" and so-called "faithful" voted en masse because of religious beliefs, I will be so pissed. Adam is the better singer, performer and all around talented guy. The fact that he is gay and Kris is religious should have nothing to do with it. If the right wing religious nut cases want to have their own talent show...go for it. But don'g f-up Idol for the rest of us!

May 20, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Marlene Babcock

Adam has everything needed to win this contest. He has great stage presence ' voice range' a real class act. Tall good looking great knowledge in what he is doing. Its a case of Apples and Oranges. I have been voting for him from the beginning. Watching him sing gives me goosebumps. I loved Ring of Fire and Mad World. Very eery but wonderful. I especially want to watch him perform.. I am a Grandmother.So there.

May 20, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Darlene

Karen,
    When you are trying to explain to your son, Steven, years from now why this country is in as bad a shape as it will be with thinking like yours. Try to remember the good old days when: men married women – there was a mom & Dad in homes and schools for were for teaching the basics of reading, writing & arithmetic instead of metal protectors, condoms & sex education. Where the cry of the people will not be _ Remember the Alamo or Remember Pearl Harbor but it will be – Remember God and morality!
    God help this country!

May 20, 2009 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Keli

It's not hatred toward anything different, as one stated. It's about music preferences and all Adam does is scream and screach. It might be the greatest rocker alive one day, but for those who don't like that kind of music, they aren't going vote for it. Who can stand to listen to that anyway?

May 20, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Nancy

Well excuse me. I have watched AI from the beginning and this is the first time the judges have been so open as to who they hope wins. They can give a comment without pushing people to vote for one over the other. It's called un-biased judgment.

May 20, 2009 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Kay

Dont make this about Christianity, Adam is very good and better than
    Kris. Vote on the voice, not what you believe in. WHO WILL THROW
    THE FIRST STONE?

May 20, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Rae

Popularity vote? Willis honey that is how Kris is still in the game. I think it is reversed....the teen girls will burn their minutes for Kris cuz of his looks, not because of his talent.
    And as for the religious aspect of the contest. I think that it is wrong if people aren't voting for Adam because of his sexuality being in question! That is nobody's business!! I think these Christian people, especially Catholics, need to stop being so judgemental and practice what they preach! Do unto others as you want done onto you!
    Vote for Adam because of his talent, not because he may be gay. And if he really is gay, that is quite a bummer, cuz he is hot!! He has the looks and he has an ABSOLUTELY UNIQUE voice!!

May 20, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Denise

I am a Christian. However, this is a talent contest and it is clear that Adam has more talent. So I voted for Adam.

May 20, 2009 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Keli

It'll be about Rock vs mellow, not sexual preferences or Christianity. The hard rockers will vote for Adam and the more beautiful, mellow music lovers will vote for Kris. Go Kris!

May 20, 2009 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  80. YEC

Well, y'all, I was just talking to God last night. He told me that he loves Adam Lambert, regardless of his sexual preferences (which, BTW, Adam had yet to make public, so stop assuming). Of course, he loves us all, whether or not we can sing, whether or not we're gay or straight. He doesn't care what color we are. He loves us all, and will accept us into his Kingdom, no matter what. What kind of Father would tell his children, no you can't come in? Not the God I believe in. He takes anyone because he loves everyone.

The one thing God told me that I think I should tell y'all is this, and I hope I can get the quote right. "That Adam Lambert? He totally ROCKS! I have a plan for that guy!"

It might not be the plan that conservative Christians want for him, but the Good Lord has seniority, and conservative Christians need to stop pretending that they can override God.

May 20, 2009 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Jim

I thought we were talking about a singing contest but Nancy had to show her ignorance in calling President Obama a socialist. If Obama is a Socialist then I hate to break the news to you but Jesus would be considered a Socialist, fortunately back then, they didn't have stupid labels.

Back to the singing contest. Both Kris and Adam are very good singers with a lot of talent but different styles. Both will do well commercially, but I predict Adam will do better. I see Kris long term as a great producer in the music industry and it wouldn't surprise me to see him one day produce some of Adam's albums. I voted for Adam because I think he is the best singer and performer but wouldn't be unhappy with Kris winning. Kudos to both of them for their brilliant performances this season on AI. I liked Danny Gokey but he is not as talented as either Kris or Adam or even Allison.

May 20, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Brent

If there is a religious right element out there that is actually making a the vote for an American Idol contestant a religious issue then it pretty clearly defines the scope of the intellect of the religious right, i.e. narrow, narrow, narrow! And the there are comments like "How did you all like the way the judges were practically telling us to vote for Adam? I know we have a socialist for a president now, but I didn’t know we were in a dictatorship."... FTW?! It's a bloody singing contest for crying out loud! Do you people have nothing better to do or think about??? For any one with a strong religious leaning, doesn't say in your Bible that idol worship is a sin? It's little wonder that the good old USA is in the state it's in! You worship idols and money! Go figure!

May 20, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Kimberly Clark

I think the posts have answered the question raised in the article. Will viewers vote for Kris because Adam is gay and they are Christians? Yes. This board is filled with pro-Christian, anti-Gay attitude. They only thing is, everyone knows Adam is better, so if he does lose it will clearly be on the Christians who lied. Kris is not a better singer or performer. Why do Christians lie so much?

May 20, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Chris

Haha @ christians getting worked up about American Idol. The fact that you are seeking christian values from a show that is as commercial as it gets is a joke.

May 20, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Greg

Once again, CNN has to stir up controversy that may not even exist. Need to look at demographics here. I know a lot of older peole who like Adam and when they vote they call on the phone once, maybe twice.

If you look at who is voting for Kris, you have a younger vote and those who would text and would spend the entire voting time...VOTING!

If you pulled the data and looked at how many people voted just once, Adam would be the clear winner. So if you want to blame something, blame technology.

Oh yeah, thats not as controversial as religion, or gays or eyliner...

May 20, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Carol

I hate for everyone to jump on all Christians because of a small outspoken group. If Adam loses, it's because more people prefer the kind of music Danny and Kris sing than because of bias against Adam's lifestyle. I've voted for Adam every time until last week. I finally switched to Kris because I think I'd like the CDs he puts out better. Adam is immensely talented, but will probably produce extreme hard rock, which I don't care for. I'm sure he will have the successful career he certainly deserves.

May 20, 2009 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Carla

I am amazed that there are still people out there that believe the "voting" is what chooses this television show 's"winner"- it is the economical viability of the singer and the favorable status they convey on the show's probability for continued success that determine the which person is presented to the viewing audience as the victor.
    In other words, folks, this is not a contest.

May 20, 2009 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Bull

I'm gay and I voted for Kris.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with religion or sexuality. All you people out there accusing people of harboring hate for homosexuals need to step off. People like YOU are the very ones that PERPETUATE and EXAGGERATE the "so-called" hate and homophobia.

I live in a RED STATE in the Heart of Dixie, and there's not a lot of homophobia here. Most of that comes from people over 50 anyway. Homophobia is waning with the older population. So stop stirring up crap.

I like ADAM, too... but Kris sings in a style that I prefer. Simple as that. Oh.... and I'm a Christian, too. And gay. And live in a red state. Figure THAT one out, all you know-it-alls.

May 20, 2009 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  89. JC from SC

ChristiansForAdam
    God is spelled with a capital "G".

May 20, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Natalie

I consider myself to be a conservative Christian and I tried to vote for Adam, but could not get through. He has truly been gifted with a phenomenal voice, and coming from a musical background myself, his range is amazing! Though I listen to 99% Christian music, I love rock style music. I also loved Danny and the fact that he is a Christian, hoping he will sing Christian music one day, but even if Danny would have made it to the final two, I would have still voted for Adam. He deserves to win based on vocal talent. I wish the best to all of them.

May 20, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  91. GetReal

ChristiansforAdam? There is no way a real Christian votes for Adam.

May 20, 2009 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Augusta

I don't watch American Idol. I don't care who wins. I am a Christian and I think that the best man should win. Whoever that may be. Both men must have tremendous amount of talent to get past that Simon fellow. Good luck gentlemen.

May 20, 2009 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Lisa

People like that give Christianity a bad name. Jesus loved everyone, not just his followers.

May 20, 2009 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  94. june in Fl

No wonder the "non-religion" group is growing & growing, because it is becoming too fanatical. Seems nothing can be done without sticking religion into it, especially politics. IF there is a God, he supposedly loves all his creatures & gave Adam his talent as well as Kris.

May 20, 2009 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Fred L. Fraud

Dang, me pants is sooooooooooo itchy!

May 20, 2009 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  96. jbhome

I couldn't vote, couldn't make up my mind, but I do know Kris deserved to be there. Danny was good, but not as confident as Kris was. This has been the most awesome season yet. I feel ADAM, KRIS, DANNY AND ALLISON WILL ALL HAVE ALBUMS.. ALLISON WAS BETTER THAN KRIS, BUT IT DIDNT GO THAT WAY. ALL 4 DESERVE TO BE HIT MAKERS.

May 20, 2009 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  97. chris

I'm a moderate Christian and I voted for Kris. Does that mean that I voted for Kris because I'm a Christian? No, it means that I like what Kris did on the show, he is more of my style, and he is the kind of artist I look forward to putting on my mp3. And where is the talk about (heaven forbid) the non-Christians that are voting for Kris, because I am certain they are out there. Anyway, both artists deserve to win, and I wish them both a successful career.

May 20, 2009 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Donna

When is this pathetic show going to go off the air? I am so sick of the media using homosexuality and Christianity against each other. The whole world has gone crazy!

May 20, 2009 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Jimmy

Why doesn’t religion just stay in the churches where it belongs? It makes no sense to me that whenever we have to chose a person for ANYTHING be it our president or our who we like on American Idol, the first thing everyone does is ask “Is he straight? and “Is he religious????” If we had a candidate running in the next presidential election who was Gay or agnostic and had no religious affiliation but could win the war in Iraq, fix the economy, healthcare, social security, unemployment and all the other problems we have, there is no doubt in my mind that the “Christian Vote” would still pick the other candidate. Check your religion at the door people, this is a signing competition not Sunday service.

May 20, 2009 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Pamela (Oceanside, Ca)

I picked Danny when I first saw him at the try outs to take it all. Chris however was my 2nd choice and I hope he pulls it off tonight. Adam is good at what he does but I think he belongs on Broadway and not the pop charts. I think Chris is more marketable. I hope he wins.

May 20, 2009 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Willis

Somehow I think all the teen girls in america will burn thier cell minutes to make sure Adam will win because they think he's hot. Idol only ever is a singing competition when they contestants aren't really attractive. You put two "hot" guys in the finale and it becomes a popularity contest. Always been that way, always will be that way. Adam wins the poplularity vote, Kris wins the talent vote in my eyes.

May 20, 2009 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Truth

This is ridiculous. The MainStream Media is trying to make this out to be a battle between Liberals and Conservatives. What a joke. I align myself with conservatives and I voted for Adam. This is a singing competition. If Kris gets more votes it will be because more Americans thought he would make a better artist. Stop trying to drag politics into a silly talent show

May 20, 2009 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Trina

I'm a religious "nut" and I wouldn't vote for Kris or Danny because they were in music ministry, and because Adam is gay. I think the media gives religious people a bad name by making something out of nothing. Most people will vote for the person who can sing.

Like the Miss California issue ... she was asked HER OPINION, and she simply gave it. The next day papers reported she was a "gay hater". Stop the madness.

May 20, 2009 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  104. rosey

sorry guys... this has nothing to do with homosexuality or Christianity... adam just sucks... ok that's a little harsh...maybe i should say his stage performance is too over the top... (yeah that's better) i would love to see him perform on stage on Broadway... he would be awesome... but for american idol... NOT!!!

i usually don't agree with any of the crap that comes out of kara's mouth, but what she said last night about kris' ability to connect with the audience is true... he's a great singer... you can tell he's singing to the audience from his heart... whereas adam seems to be performing for himself...

May 20, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Galoux

Well, for the guy who said Kris conveys actual feeling and Adam doesn't, just who let you inside their hearts for an up-close and personal view? I think they both show a lot of emotion, but I have no idea what's actually going on inside them. I used to be in theatre, so I'd never venture a statement that I knew what was in any performer's heart while they're onstage.

As to voting by religion–feh! First, I don't think it has beans to do with this show. Second, I'm a middle-aged Christian woman, active in my church and loving it, and I am a HUGE Adam fan. Christians aren't all homophobes and into easy listening and soft rock. I get so honked-off that political factions think they've cornered a religion, and now they want to lay claim to musical tastes as well?

May 20, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Chris

Fortunately, I have an I.Q. above 12 so I don’t watch “American Idol”. However, after 8 years of “Faith Based Initiatives” I’m differently sick of “Christian Evangelicals”. These two individuals should be judged for their talents, not their participation in religion or sexuality. I wish them both the best of luck and know that whom ever wins they are both incredible talents. I really hope Simon Cromwell is attacked by a ravenous group of Oompa Loompas during the finally. Now that would be worth watching!

May 20, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Mickey Dean

i am pretty sure God doesn't care who wins.

i am hoping he has more important stuff on his plate.

michele, i have some bad news about bowie and jagger....

May 20, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Sam

The judges are saying Adam should win because he has the whole package. It not just about singing, it's about performance as well.

Don't blame the show for whoever wins, it's the people who vote or don't vote that cause the outcome. Yes, by their comments they may favour one over the other, but the end result is the public decides.

May 20, 2009 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  109. JP

Nancy, we are all grown-ups who can make up our own minds. The judges were expressing their views on who they think should win. Do you want to be the dictator and say that they cannot express their views? They are the judges. Its their job to comment.

May 20, 2009 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  110. wilmawonka

American Idol is a search for the best talent. It is not a search for the most religious, straight, widowed, or other awwwww, but he's so precious back story.

From a musical background, and no I'm not gay, I'm a 42 year old married mother of 2. I taught the cherub choir and I was youth president at the Methodist church. I studied music and have performed in churches and weddings. I taught piano and other musical instruments.

I can tell you, without question, Adam is the most talented of the final 3. It has nothing to do with his style which I find very refreshing. It has nothing to do with his, as some of you call it, screaming which I find very impressive and you would too if you studied octave ranges for men.

I do not think Simon's comments that try to sway the public should be part of the show. His job is to critique only. Not choose a winner.

Kris is talented and seeing him in a small venue would be something that I would be interested in. I worry that he would fall by the wayside like Taylor Hicks who was a nice guy, but he was no Idol.

Adam is worthy whether you like his type of music or not.

May 20, 2009 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  111. echoo

What do both idol watchers and religious idol watchers have in common? VERY POOR TASTE! Also, shouldn't religious people be clued in to the IDOL part? American Idol??? Hello! Does the story of Mosses ring a bell for any of these people???? I do feel bad for them thou, because out side of this candy-pop-child-fluff, there really isn't much tv programming that isn't racy or made for adults. They do have their own networks that cater to the religious but frankly that stuff is even worse. Oh wait, maybe they should just turn off the tv and go help out at a food bank.

May 20, 2009 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Poopsy

Kris Allen asked people NOT to vote for him based on religion. He said it was about the music and he and Adam are good friends.
    Finishing in the top five is a major accomplishement. Top two is a "win."

Kris will be fine. He's very appealing and seems like a genuinely nice person. But honestly, his performances were very uneven. He needs to work with a vocal coach to bring out his best voice. It's a fine voice, but he needs work. He needs help with arrangements and staging. He is about a year away from being ready to drop an album.

Adam is ready NOW. He can put on a sold out concert next week. He has great control and an astonishing range. He knows how to present himself and he has been consistent. He puts on a show every week and generates a lot of excitement. He really has earned this win. If people cannot over come their stupid hang-ups, they need to just move on and let it be.

May 20, 2009 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Andy

I voted for Kris because I prefered him over Adam. No regilious motives here.Andy in Maine.

May 20, 2009 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  114. JP

Many years of Christian schooling taught me that Jesus's most important teaching, the Golden Rule, was to "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." In addition, I was taught that Jesus/God was the ultimate judge, not man. All men are sinners, and one sin is not worse in Jesus's eyes than others. Therefore, the fact that people would choose Kris over Adam just because of his sexuality is incomprehensible to me. Kris is a sinner just as much as Adam is. These supposed Christians are not true Christians if they judge.

The Bible speaks about homosexuality in the same section as it speaks of Kosher laws. Why is it that Christians can ignore the Kosher laws yet not homosexuality? I am a straight Christian, and it is my belief that those voting for Kris based purely on religion are ignorant and misinformed.

I voted for Adam. I think that Kris is very talented. I would buy his albums and go to his concerts. I don't enjoy some of Adam's "screeching," but this is a singing contest and Adam clearly outperformed Kris last night. He deserves to win.

May 20, 2009 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Todd Dantzler

I am a huge Adam fan. As a musician myself and someone with perfect pitch, I was deeply dissappointed weeks ago when Adam's greatest competition on the show, Allison, was voted off. She was solid and consistent from week to week and has an instantly recognizable voice, unlike Chris or Danny. Thus, all of this discussion regarding whether or not Chris should win carries no relevance for me whatsoever, because he never should have been in the finals in the first place. Adam is already a star- whether he wins or not- and Allison will find great success! Bravo to all for competing.

May 20, 2009 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Jersey

Yeah, I dont think there is any real bias here. I am gay and voted for Kris.. He might be active at his church and do the missionary stuff but he's also very friendly with Adam and they seem to like each other very much so dont think he's a bigot in any way. Besides, it still might be the kiss of death to win..

May 20, 2009 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Dave

Probably the most ridiculous thing I've read all day.

May 20, 2009 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  118. James Baker

The last I heard this was a singing contest. Religious beliefs should have no bearing on the outcome. Come on people, grow up!

May 20, 2009 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Jezebel Fitch

I thought christians weren't supposed to participate in things involving idols? Hypocrites as usual.

May 20, 2009 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  120. DMC

What good is it if Kris wins because he is more christian? He doesn't have the stay power Adam has. So... the most talented person is going to lose out on the title he deserves because they don't think he is as spiritual as they are. How do they know that? Come on Adam fans were not born yesterday we know where they are going with that. And I am embarrassed for those people. They do not even know how mean spirited they truly are. Oh well ... If Adam doesn't get to be American Idol because of thes small minded people in the long run the best man will win with or without the title. Go Adam... Your the best!!!!!

May 20, 2009 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Karen

I was just telling my son who is 11 that when I was his age it was common to tell jokes about Polish people. We called them Pollock jokes. He asked me why we told them and I said it was because people thought they were funny.

He was quiet for a minute and asked again, confused, "Why would that be funny?" And I shrugged, "I dunno, it's just how it was."

"And when you're my age, Steven, you'll be telling your son that people used to have a moral problem when it came to a man marrying a man or a woman marrying a woman.

And that it was a big deal that was hotly debated whether or not they deserved it when someone who preferred to date their own gender was awarded honors, or won a silly talent show.

And your son is going to be confused and ask you, "Why?"

You'll say, "I don't know, that's just the way it was then."

And you'll say to him, "Aren't you glad it isn't like that now?""

May 20, 2009 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  122. DaveM

The finale last night was engineered by Idol producers to favor Adam, as he he could not win on his monumental vocals himself. In the first round, Kris was phenomenal with his own song choice. In round two, however, producer Simon Fuller selected a song to showcase Adam's talent, but not so much for Kris. And the final song, written by Kara, was horendous in and of itself, but clearly written in a key two high for Kris and perfect for Adam. Shame on you, American Idol!

May 20, 2009 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  123. karen

Come on everyone we all know the judges tells most (those that can't think or make decisons for their self) how to vote as it seem last night that they were telling Kris your great and we're happy you were here tonight. Other words sorry kid but Adam has it. I am a Danny fan – can anybody remember that Carrie Underwood couldn't dance either? In Season 5 Elliot was voted off for being Jewish, Katherine McPhee beating him was a joke (couldn't sing but looks do count) and then Taylor wasn't much better.

May 20, 2009 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Sharon Waltons

This is a talent contest people – plain and simple.
    Danny should never have been voted off, Kris is not talented, he is bland, and I resent the fact the people are suggesting the religious right prefers bland. I am LDS and loved Queen, with Freddie Mercury as their lead singer, that band rocked.
    Adam had similar vocal ranges to Freddie, and Adam is incredible.
    Keep religion and politics out of this, this is pure talent, and Kris does not have any.

May 20, 2009 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Allie B

I think the "religious" angle has been overplayed by the media and some folks on the blogosphere. Yes, there is a segment of so-called "Christians" who will vote for ANYONE OTHER THAN ADAM because of his purported sexual preference. Yes, Gokey's votes will go to either Adam or Kris, but I think it's far too simplistic to say that every vote will go to Kris because of religious affiliation. Thankfully, most Christians are not as small-minded as the vocal minority on the blogs who make negative un-Christianlike comments about Adam based on his rumored sexuality or appearance. To his credit, Kris has not made religion or his personal faith an issue in the competition and he has gone on the record as saying that he's not looking for the Christian vote.

Personally, I think the AI producers and judges season-long lovefest and zealous "pimping" (to use a favorite expression of the blogosphere) of Adam might have created a greater "anti-Adam" backlash than either sexuality or religion. In addition, Americans love an "underdog" and Kris was positioned as the underdog this season. Kris certainly did not garner the same love and attention from the judges or producers as Adam (or the less talented, underperforming Gokey and others) did. Despite this, Kris was building momentum and a fanbase throughout the season and those who supported him are not shocked that that made it two the finals. BTW, the judges and AI producers looked like fools for the foolish pimping of Gokey who had one truly "above average" performance (Rat Pack Week).

At this stage of the competition, it comes down to which guy's fanbase (or other contestants' fanbases) is most motivated to vote. Despite the "gay vs. God" media hype, clear favoritism by the producers and judges, and otehr factors, I think most people voted "for" the person whose musical style and artistic sensibilities they liked the most – rather than "against" the other guy. As a person who voted for Adam, Kris, and Allison throughout the season, I think the outcome is too close to call.

One more thing, if it had been an Adam vs. Gokey final two, I think Adam would have coasted to victory.

May 20, 2009 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Cab

Probably not the right forum, but if God is Love...as the children's song professes...and a homosexual couple is truly in love, then doesn't God exist in that relationship? Love is never wrong...but hatred and prejudice are always wrong.

Anyway, both Kris and Adam are extremely talented artists, but Adam is clearly a step above. I just wish he'd reel in the screaming bits and be more selective when he goes there. "Mad World" is considered by most (as well as me) to be his best performance. It showcases the excellent tonal quality of his voice and his incredible control of it. He should learn from the feedback.

May 20, 2009 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Maureen

To Abbie – wonderful outlook – it is all about everything you stated.

To Nancy – you are pathetic – try living a happy realistic life....you will enjoy a lot more....

Has anyone noticed what has been going on in the Middle East for years – the hatred – sexes – religion – I think all of the haters should go there and get a grip. Christians some of you call yourselves – can only imagine what our maker has in store for you.

By the way Nancy – everyone I spoke to today thought the judges were pulling for Kris

May 20, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Stephanie

While I am a christian and can understand some people's views, I can not understand why they are making such a fuss about Adam and Kris. Adam never came out and said he is gay and the fact that he is or isn't Jewish should be of no relevance to anyone. Each person's religious affiliation is their own business.
    This is a singing contest first and last, that's it!!! Having said that I voted for Kris because I am not a fan of rock music, though I will admit had Adam done something other than rock my vote probably would have went to him!
    Since the beginning I have been rooting for Kris and Danny! When Danny got knocked out, I then put all my votes to Kris! Their style of music is just what I prefer! JMO!

May 20, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Paul G. Pagnini, M.D.

Not surprised at all that the right -wing religious zealots would waste their time on something so ridiculous.

May 20, 2009 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  130. DJ

Oh dear, Nancy . . . your idea of a dictatorship is the perception that Paula Abdul might have tried to influence your your views of a certain performer. This is a perfect example of conservative ideology. Clearly you are a fair and open minded person and the best America has to offer. Thank you.

May 20, 2009 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Alex

how inane. this shouldn't be a cnn article

May 20, 2009 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Mike

Adam's gay and I hear Kris likes shellfish... what's a Christian to do? Damn that Leviticus! Bring back Alexis... she was a little hottie.

May 20, 2009 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Tony

I have an idea. Why not vote for the person you think is the best singer?

May 20, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Dave

Again, from a democrat who's going for Kris:

See? I think Abbie and I – although apparently disagreeing on BOTH politics/religion AND on Idol – are making the same point! There's very little correlation between red/blue and which of these guys you like. Right on Abbie.

But clearly, other people love jumping in and slamming BOTH religious people ("supposed “Christians” who, despite teachings, continually judge and throw stones" - really, that's s stereotype of religious people) on one end, and calling the president a socialist on the other.

Nice fodder for even MORE social division CNN - really, all you're doing is getting more "face time" and "engaged users" for your website, right?? Can't you just let people like a simple show about music without dropping little seeds of conflict?? You had to have done this on purpose...

May 20, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Mark

Who are these people who watch American Idol? The show is a joke.

May 20, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  136. JW

@Nancy – learn the definitions of those two big words before you throw them out there

It's obviously not all about religion, but there are those out there that voted for Kris because their ridiculous beliefs say that they cannot support someone whose lifestyle is not like their own. I am with Michele, I won't watch again (after tonight though, the way I understand it dialidol has been iffy at best all season) if Adam does not win for two reasons, one being everything that Michele said and two because who could possibly follow Adam and even if someone was found with his level of talent, he will need to be a perfect christian, in order to win. I can find better things to do with my time on Tuesdays and Wednesday mornings for that matter CNN.

May 20, 2009 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Robin

I am a Christian, and I don't care whether Adam is gay or not–I think it's wrong, but it matters not to me in who I vote for. I just think he screams and wails–it's just not my fave type of singing style. I was a huge Danny fan, and will not switch my vote to Kris. He is awesome, and I think he will be the winner tonight. We can only hope anyway.

May 20, 2009 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  138. San B

Not having a musical background, just listening Kris is the best. That loud hollering I can not figure out. Adam sound good when he is just singing, the screaming has to go. Of course, at my age I really do not like the makeup and piercing on Adam-the judges seem to be off this season anyway.

May 20, 2009 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Michael

Michele – – I think it's hard to claim that America hates gays and jews and blahblah when Adam already made it to the finals. He may even win this thing.

I'm from the South, Christian, but politically moderate. I have many gay friends and a lot of Jewish friends. I think Adam is undeniably the most talented singer, but he's not the best. Michael Vick has more "talent" than anyone in football, but he's not the best football player. Adam can hit notes that Kris can't, but Kris has a greater overall quality of music.

May 20, 2009 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Ben Harrison

Homophobes are homophobes... even when it comes to meaningless TV shows. It wouldn't surprise me.

May 20, 2009 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Ann Marie

What does religious affiliation have to do with talent? Religious affiliation, church membership, church attendance, and all the related rheteric have nothing to do with which of those young men is the most talented. If one wins, the other will still have record offers and may be another Jennifer Hudson. What difference does it make who gets the most votes?

May 20, 2009 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Bucky

Nancy: A dictatorship? You're making that assumption based off American Idol? Good lord, get ahold of yourself, stop being so negative and pessimistic and quit jumping to conclusions on EVERYTHING.

May 20, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Will you support gay Adam if he wants to marry another man?

Well, all you supposed Adam lovers....will you vote for Adam to marry another man if he wants to?

I believe it is hypocritical to vote for Adam to win as a singer, if you won't support his basic and fundamental civl rights.

May 20, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Paul Vasquez

Is this really an issue? It's American Idol for crying out loud. If there's a war brewing, it's only because the so-called-Christians and I say so-call because they don't represent true Christianity have turned this into yet another rally against homosexuals. Again, they don't reflect all Christians, but, because of their ignorance...they're given a voice. Only one voice matters right now and that is the best voice...Adam Lambert's.

May 20, 2009 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Nancy

How did you all like the way the judges were practically telling us to vote for Adam? I know we have a socialist for a president now, but I didn't know we were in a dictatorship.

May 20, 2009 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Abbie

From a far right, hard core, over 40 year old, Missouri Christian – GO ADAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is not about politics, sexual preferences, left vs. right, etc.... This is a musical talent contest. Kris is a good kid that the business will eat alive. He's a huge talent, but he will be cookie cuttered. Adam is so far beyond him in readiness, that I almost hope he doesn't win so he isn't stuck with the Idol contract. Good luck to both of them. They both earn cudos.

May 20, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Jan

Here we go again....supposed "Christians" who, despite teachings, continually judge and throw stones at those they are afraid of! One of the reasons I despise that way of life. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for juding someone you know nothing about. There is nothing wrong with anyone being gay or lesbian but there is definitely something wrong with being shallow, close-minded and hypocritical. Just because your are a "Christian" does NOT make you perfect! God would be very disappointed in all of you.

May 20, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Lee

Adam should win. Adam is one of the best contestants that have competed on American Idol.

May 20, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Cher

Come on...who cares about rumors. We are supposed to vote for the best and the best is ADAM LAMBERT hands down. Only once every few years comes along someone that has a Elvis like persona (that star quality) and Adam has IT!!!!!!!! Religion has absolutely nothing to do with this contest.

May 20, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Dave

I don't know... I live in the heart of Kennedy country (Boston), canvassed for Obama up in NH, my brother's gay, I even like Elton John's music quite a bit. Still going for Kris.

It's not just Adam's "flamboyant" style. It's the lack of any real emotion. Sure, he wails, makes faces, etc. But it's this showmanship that can be contrasted with Kris's ability to convey actual feeling.

Question is, really, do fans prefer being connected with, or just impressed with volume of a singer's voice??

May 20, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Ryan from Philly

Adam will be the first OUT gay winner on American Idol!!! GO ADAM!!! DO IT FOR THE GAYS!!!!!!

May 20, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Sean Rallis

Who cares who votes for who, if most of these people were truly religious Christians, they would realize that they have made this show truly what it says in the title, an idol.

May 20, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Interesting

I find it interesting that so-called "Christians for Adam" would speak out in favor of Adam. These must be some extremely liberal Christians, because most outspoken Christians are decidedly not supportive of homosexuality in any way.

Does this mean that "Christians for Adam" will support gay marriage?

Or do they just like good singers?

Adam is not ashamed to be obviously gay/bi. Of course he has not spoken about his sexuality; no doubt he will wait for a high-paid interview in a magazine, which is understandable.

May 20, 2009 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  154. mark

at this point the game is more of a popularity contest than who is actually the best singer. And its actually who has the most obsessive fans, I've heard of single voters casting well over 1,000 votes.

May 20, 2009 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  155. m

Adam's voice is great but I voted for Kris since Danny is gone.

May 20, 2009 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Wendy

Who cares???!!! Hopefully the best will win and that should be it!

May 20, 2009 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Holly

I am hoping that the voting was about talent and not about who is the more religious. This is a talent competition and clearly Adam is the most talented singer since the beginning of American Idol. IMHO

May 20, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Karen

Tha is so stupid! It's a singing contest..........nothing to do with religion. sheeesh! Why do people have to complicate things?

May 20, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Janice

I am a very conservative Christian. I voted for the most talented singer, Adam.

May 20, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Robert

Hahahaha. I love all these geniuses who think they can predict the future. I hope one of you will be generous enough to email me next weeks' lottery numbers.

May 20, 2009 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  161. michele

There is no comparing Adam to any other contestant, let alone Kris, a pleasant, but, numbingly ordinary performer, yet, he's going to win tonight because Americans have hatred towards anyone different. Adam did not flaunt his sexuality, and his style of glam rock is in the tradition of quite heterosexual artists like Mick Jagger and David Bowie. Another elephant in the room with Adam is that he is Jewish.

There is no limit to how latent hatred of homosexuals and blatant hatred of Jews influences this country. We may be ready for a mixed race President, but, he's still half-white, and Christian.

I know that Kris won because: "Dial Idol" (dialidol.com) has stunning accuracy and has already tabulated the votes from extrapolating the busy signals for each contestant.

I will not watch tonight. I will never watch American Idol again. It celebrates mediocrity, and flaunts the prejudices of a nation that in this day and age, can't get over their bigotry.

May 20, 2009 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Willy P

I don't know if you can make it quite as simple as a "religious" or moral decision. I think the fact that those who are Christians (myself included) like music that is more in tune with what Kris is making and putting out there and I think the same may be for the majority of Christians. The typical music of the Christian fan base will be more prone to liking Kris because of the music more so than the lifestyle

May 20, 2009 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  163. LisaM

There are a LOT of people out there who do absolutely everything they do because of religion, and that will include who they vote for on American Idol. It won't matter who has the most talent. I think people need to learn when to curb it.

May 20, 2009 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  164. carole

I wish danny was singing last night. i felt he deserved to be standing there. all three are talented. i feel adam is a great singer and chris is a great singer, but adam is being judged also on his theatricals. It's hard to compete with all of that showmanship.

May 20, 2009 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  165. AJ

I have a strong feeling that Kris will win though Adam is a far more superior singer.

May 20, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  166. maggie

I never even got to vote because the phone was jammed all night I just hope it is done fairly. I believe who ever the voters choose it gonna be who they relate with the most. I know Lambert is talented but I thought he was over rated. If all you have to do is scream and hit high notes then sign me up. Chris Allen he showed wide range of taltent. God Bless to whoever wins

May 20, 2009 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |