May 19th, 2009

Top 2: Kris Allen brings some 'Sunshine'

I want one of those coupons Kris' mom redeems to get him to sing for her!

Kris Allen

Kris is on the piano singing "Ain't No Sunshine," and once again I am grateful the show now allows contestants to play instruments. I feel like I am watching a great concert.

His wife is in the audience looking so pretty and proud, and she should be.

He sounds great. Simon should be applauded for being honest that he initially wasn't sure America had made the right choice in putting him in the finals and taking that back.

Simon even awards the first round to Kris. Do you agree?

Filed under: American Idol judges • Simon Cowell • television

1. Randi Schalz

I have grown weary with the pandering towards Adam. Okay, the guy can sing, but he does not appeal to the masses. Instead of practically crowning Adam with every passing show...let it be a competition! I am pulling for Kris. He has had to battle judges and bias writers. I hope tonight will be a shocker..that we will all be talking about for weeks. Go Kris!!!!!

May 20, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Thebe

He maimed a great song. I turned down the volume.

May 20, 2009 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Galoux

I thought it was a good performance. I enjoyed it. Do I think he was better than Adam? No. And Simon gave him round 1 because he knew he'd be giving Adam the acclaim he deserves.

Tell you what, though, whatever happens, I will be SO glad to be done with reading the same tired remark that Adam "screams." This is what people said about Fantasia too. Seems to be the line people trot out when they don't have any legitimate criticism to make, and often when there's an underlying dislike that has nothing whatsoever to do with a singing competition. (And if you think you know what I mean by that, you probably do.)

May 20, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Barbara

YUK....YUK....YUK.........even more proof that he has to go. Bye Bye : )

May 20, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mizzmama

Totally different styles, but overall I think Kris is the bigger, better talent. So many different things he is able to do. The high notes on 'No Boundaries' weren't for him, but he did a great job with the song. Adam's main claim to fame is his theatrics and range. A great singer, but if he records an album it's probably not something I'd buy or put on my ipod. Kris on the other hand has much more versatility and sings the type of song I'd listen to.

May 20, 2009 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  6. USMC

I got to give it to Kris. Adam is a one trick pony, a very loud screechy one trick pony. I just couldn't buy an album of his and listen to the whole thing. Adam would kill on Broadway, but I think if he gets the nod he will fade into obscurity. Kris could cut last weeks performance and it would hit the top ten. Glam rock is dead folks, what’s survived has saturated the market. However, Adams second song killed. I mean, if he would choose and belt stuff like that out on a regular basis he might change my mind.

May 20, 2009 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. val

They both have different styles of singing,its just what you perfer. Kris and Adam are both great singing artist but, I perfer Kris. They are both are winners.

May 20, 2009 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jane

Super job Kris!!

May 20, 2009 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joan

Good grief! Simon was merely trying to make tonight a contest. Although Kris was OK on his first song, he didn't come close to Adam's Mad World. Adam was on top of his game. By the end of the night, Kris looked like he'd been ridden hard and put away wet. In a head to head, there was no contest. Adam's superior voice and styling carried the day. If he doesn't win American Idol, the voters are nuts!

May 20, 2009 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  10. Katie

Kris did an amazing job with this song tonight. Hope he goes all the way, but I believe he'll have a great career without winning A I. I'd definitely buy his records. I wouldn't, however, buy Adam's records. He's very theatrical, but it's not what I would want to hear in my iPod.

May 20, 2009 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. Florinda

This was awesome. I could just put my feet up and listen to Kris after a hectic day and relax. soothingly nice. uplifting and totally awesome

May 20, 2009 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. Kyle

i definitely agree. i am much more a fan of kris' style; he seems very set in his genre. that said, i'm actually hoping he loses so that he can sign a better record deal.

May 20, 2009 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  13. Terry McGraw

Kris was awesome with aint no sunshine. Great song for
    him.

May 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jennyl

i loved this song... although i think my fav one of the season was heartless!

May 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. someone

RH are you kidding me Kris will be much more of a star then adam nobody listens to that kinda music anymore sorry dude your WRONG... adam has amazing range but you cant sing every song that high, kris is soulful and down to earth he will sell many more records, you watch and ill be cooking that crow for you to eat in the future!!!!

May 19, 2009 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  16. someone

My favorite song by far, i would by that and listen to it all the time... GO KRIS.

May 19, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Tarheel

Kris is a decent singer and extremely likable, but Adam is in a league of his own. Adam's so good it's not hardly fair. I'll be the first to admit, I've had to overcome a lot of stupid prejudices to realize how good Adam really is. The first time I saw him on stage, I almost left the room. Then I heard him singing Bohemian Rhapsody and thought "My God, this dude can sing" After that, I didn't pay any attention to the eyeliner,earrings, and fingernail polish. Good luck in the finals, Adam.

May 19, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Susan - Canada

I sort of hope that Adam wins tomorrow night....so that Kris can go and record the kind of music that he wants....some producer (hopefully...David Foster) will pick this kid up and he will get a record deal. Adam will be tied to American Idol for a least a year, if not longer....so you go Adam..hope you win! Anyways, the only American Idol winners who have gone on to have successful careers, I think, are Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. Other than those 2 I can't think of too many other winners who have gone to great success.

May 19, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Dee

WOW! Kris was absolutely great.

I think Adam is a fine singer and will do well in the music business, but he will only sell music for a certain group of people, were as Kris will touch many people from all different cultures, different ages, and backgrounds.

THE GUYS GOT TALENT!

May 19, 2009 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  20. RH

Of the 3 this one was the only one he did reasonably well. Kris did poorly tonight and is not a star like Adam. It would be quite sad it he were the Idol – he cannot sell records. Right now the competition is just against Adam but in the real world there are too many singers/artists much better than an artist like Kris. Adam is really original!

May 19, 2009 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Sherri

He sang this spectacularly! Wow...just wow!

May 19, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. js

Kris was great tonight. Adam screamed his way through as expected.

May 19, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  23. kelly

Whether the vote is based on overall performance throughout the season or just on tonights performance, Adam should win hands down. Kris was weak throughout the whole show tonight. I think if he built his confidence and really sold his talent, he would do alright. Win lose or draw, Adam will be the star from this seasons show

May 19, 2009 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Thede Vilthatiam

Kris gave me chills with that song.

May 19, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Dan

If I wanted a theatrical performance, I'd go to a show. Screaming is not singing, please don't confuse the two.

May 19, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Willis

Yes, he can SING a song better than Adam. However, Adam can sound like a goat as well as scream better than anyone else on idol. Kudos for that to Adam.

May 19, 2009 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Barb

Kris is one talented person and is totally amazing.

May 19, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Zebulon

Not lovin it... he just can't compare to Adam.

May 19, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  29. S Callahan

Kris is a future Tangelwood performance....he just has the 'tone' for the times....very folksy..smooth..soft music....I enjoy listening to him...relaxing...no tension....

Mother, Mother...what's goin' on.......you're a star Kris!

May 19, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  30. farrah

Remember guys that this a singing competition, it's not about who can play an instrument best. Can Kriss sing better than Adam and does he have star quality?

May 19, 2009 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Erinn

Better then the first time he sang it! And that is saying a lot since the first performance was amazing!

May 19, 2009 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Natalie

Kris won the first round. Adam got stale a few weeks ago, but Kris' star keeps rising. I hope he wins the whole darn thing.

May 19, 2009 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Babba

No, I don't agree with Simon! Adam is a much better singing talent.

However.....I like Kris and I like the music he sings. But you just can't compare the raw talent of Adam Lambert to anyone else.

May 19, 2009 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jerod

Am I the only one that heart Kris' voice cracking and wavering during the drawn out notes? That was certainly not one of Kris' best performances, and not even a good performance in general. Adam was the clear winner of that round based on vocal fortitude alone comparing a soft song to a soft song.

May 19, 2009 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Eva

Absolutely Kris won the first round. He was amazing and I am also very glad they can now play their instruments since they are an extension of who they are.

May 19, 2009 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  36. dragongrrl

I call a tie at least. They were both outstanding.

May 19, 2009 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Theresa

Yes! The fact that chris plays piano and guitar really goes a long way!!!

May 19, 2009 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Bob S

I have enjoyed Kris since Week 1 but always felt he was overshadowed by Adam. Guess what...not anymore...Kris is like the tortoise...slow but steady he grew into the next American Idol.

May 19, 2009 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Sam

Chris sings and what a performance it was!! He has taken it away from Lambert.
    There you go Simon, it was no 'Ding Dong' last week.
    Chris is real and Gokey was a fakey.

May 19, 2009 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Shaiyna

Kris is amazing! I got chills from his song.

May 19, 2009 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |