May 19th, 2009

Top 2: Adam Lambert takes it back

Adam's dad says he didn't sleep through the night as a baby and he screamed a lot.

Adam Lambert

Shocking!

He chooses  "Mad World" as his favorite performance, and we have a do-over. I am a little afraid of that Matrix trench coat he is wearing, but it works with the guy-liner and the fog.

I liked the performance, though it didn't move me as much this time around. Probably because I've watched the original so much.

Way to suck up to Paula by telling her she looks beautiful tonight, Adam. Of course the judges have to break off into an argument as to whether he was more "Phantom of the Opera" or "Twilight" with the look.

Whatever.

Filed under: American Idol judges • television

1. lee kim

I love Adam's voice and he sure can sing. American Idol is all about singing so Adam should win, if not America did not get it right.

May 20, 2009 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mark

Kris brings more the the term "American Idol" than Adam ever can. Kris has the emotion to react when he is judged and moved that others can appreciate his talent. When he was picked as a finalist last week, he almost could not stand up he was so overcome. Adam, on the other hand, seems to almost have an expectation of winning, a kind of arrogance. If you follow the "high" notes that Adam puts out there you will find that they are all pretty much the same sound....the screaming that his parents decried when he was a child begins to permeate the "note". Adam can certainly entertain people and has the theatrical presence that Simon refers to over and over again, while Kris can reach into your guts and bring you into the emotion of the song he is sharing with you. Kris doesn't need makeup to be Kris. Adam needs makeup, outfits, props and lighting to be Adam. If it takes eyeliner and black nail polish to be an"American Idol" then we have gone off course. I would rather have my child "idolize" Kris. Entertainers over the years have had to understand, especially in this media savvy world, that they become role models wether they like it or not. My vote is for Kris, because we all know Adam will find a niche anyway.

May 20, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. glenda strickland

I was bored out of my mind with IDOL last night...the judges should
    be ashamed with the song choices they gave these guys...foo
    The judges reactions to each were just as goofy...slop all over the
    screamer and dump on the guy who sings without screaming.

That new SONG was horrid...no one will buy into that thing!!!!!

Mr. Scream boy LAMBERT might be mighty disappointed tonight.
    He has had a stupid look of "hey guys I HAVE won this thing already"
    and I have to try and wipe this smug I am so good , and so handsome
    and wonderful off my face each week...darn it...

When they got rid of the rocker gal Allison..I lost interest anyway....
    she was better than either of these to guys (and that smug guy
    with the glasses..what was his name???) he thought HE was going
    to win it all........Screamer needs to take a lesson from him.

I really do not want to see the 4th Judge next season or Simon ...
    how does HE get away with wearing ugly white or gray undershirts?
    ooops ...a real shirt and coat for last night's show..but has ANYONE
    told him the "open see your chest hair look " IS OUT, OUT,OUT
    He makes watching this thing almost unbearable...ugh..
    gs

May 20, 2009 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nan

Go Adam!!! This is a competition? Adam brings so much more in talent and personality I don't even think it's close.

May 20, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. CeCe

A true artist has to captivate his audience which is what Adam does every single time. And Kris is just not mesmerizing. I'd be so bored at one of his concerts. I might listen to him sometimes cause he did have some good moments but I'd never go to one of his live shows. I can't wait to go see Adam live. Another thing, Kris has no range. He was screeching last night during the last performance...hoping to "wow" us. Sorry Kris, you failed miserably! Adam did the best that anyone of the contestants could have, given the sorry song Kara wrote for them.

May 20, 2009 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Julia

I am on pins and needles to find out who wins. I really want Kris to win because I like that type of acoustic guitar sound. Adam is good, don't get me wrong. I wish he would have sang Track of My Tears because it was moving. Mad World (1st version) was too awesome to try to repeat. Can't wait to see what happens!

May 20, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LindaD

I've said it once before and I will say it again. THis is supposed to be a contest of the best vocals. Not who you think is the cutest etc. Come on American, if you blow this one thing have got to change. Can American be trusted to vote for the best vocalist. That means who has the best vocals, who consistantly sings the best, who can sing just about anything. I am not too sure I can trust America to vote for the best vocalist. I am affraid they will vote for their favorite. As a musician I will be extrememly sadded if American does not pick the best.

May 20, 2009 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Samantha

To Dray

How can anyone be "scared" of Adam Lambert? That smile, that giggle – he is clearly all about entertaining his audience. Just as soon as the songs are over, he reverts back to this adorable guy we all wish we knew personally. Love Adam – will miss him so much. Best of luck to Kris (love him too, but differently) who will do so well because he's such a great guy with a beautiful voice and personna.

May 20, 2009 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joanne

The "idol" single is absolutly horriable. It honest to god made me want to stab myself! OMG if anything that song would ruin the careers of ALL talented idols. Both Adam and Kris are entertaining and if they are "forced" to sing that song again... Oh gosh, that would just be horriable.

May 20, 2009 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sue C

This is the first American Idol season I've watched and I'm not necessarily hooked on the show, but hooked on Adam. Yes Kris is good, but Adam is GREAT. What he does to a song is pure artistry where Kris' renditions are just very good.

The true winner hands down, should be based on nothing but talent; not clothes, sexual preference, not appearance.

Adam is the true winner-HANDS DOWN! I read somewhere that regardless of whether Adam is first or second, a star has been born.

May 20, 2009 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Betty

Adam makes me feel a little tired by the time he finishes a song, I will vote for Kris, he sings and does not scream, man I don't care for the screaming, jujst sing.

May 20, 2009 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Beverly

It's like this........Dancing with the stars gives you a great "disco ball", I personally love it, American Idol gives you a contract to perform. Now, it we have to decide great singer/ performer and also a worthy singer , AND make money will doing this...........we have to pick the performer. I think Kris is great, and I think he will go far, however, I will remember Adam Lambert's stage present forever. I do wish them both luck. I course I have to say I am voting for Adam, I think he deserves it. The only ones that disapprove of the little tike are more conservative, which there is nothing wrong with, however it doesn't apply to each of us who enjoy a show!

May 20, 2009 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jake

Like some one said before, there is no way people will want to pay for a CD by Adam. His voice is a beating after a while, it's just too over the top. He will save a solid stage performing career, but when it comes down to it, Kris is more likely to have a long successful career in the music industry. If Kris doesn't win, this will be another failure of the American public in voting for this show.

May 20, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Galoux

For people whining about whether Adam is "original" in his renditions, Adam always gives credit for arrangements, or at least darn near always does. Beyond arranging is also performance, and there are many aspects of that, and Adam does make each some he does his own. (With the possible exception of trying to own something as bad as the "Boundaries" son.) I was thoroughly moved and engaged by "Mad World," possibly because I'm not sitting around analyzing and comparing. I come to AI hoping to be entertained . . . and I was.

May 20, 2009 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jada

Adam looked like The Crow walking down those stairs last night... He belongs in a band if he wants to do the rock thing or on broadway if he wants to do special effects during his performances. If he wins.. I will no longer watch Idol. Kris is an All-American guy who is versatile in his music and could be a huge top 40 hit maker. Adam is a perfect example of the distorted image of what America is now becoming...

May 20, 2009 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  16. RJ

Dray: I can tell the difference between the Gary Jules and Adam Lambert versions. They are different, but I think the Gary Jules version is better. Not because it came first, but because of the emotion put into the song. You can just feel it. Adam's is not bad, per se, just sung in a different key which throws off the emotion. The emotion, I believe, comes from the lower key of Jules's singing. His phrasing, too, is also what makes the song what it is. Adam's version isn't in the same league. Thank goodness he wasn't screaming–which he admitted he does!

Vote Kris!

May 20, 2009 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  17. michael p

I think it's a really cheap thing for Kara to have both contestant sing a song that she wrote. First of all....what a cheap way to self promote yourself. The song really wasn't that good at all......and as much as I love Adam he sounded bad on that song....that song was not made for him and I hate Kara for doing that. He sings harder more musical stuff....not Christain rock ballads.

May 20, 2009 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  18. dawn c

Adam proved more than once he can sing beautifully without the high pitched classic rocker style vocals{not screaming!}. Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Steven Tyler, Mick Jagger, should I go on and to credit his other side YES Elvis! Can you compare Kris to that many music LEGENDS! I'm sure I left out many more too! I like Kris alot but he just is not on the same level. Either way they will both do well but Adam is an American Idol who will be as Paula said Iconic!

May 20, 2009 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  19. Wendy

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2009 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  20. Diana

I think this performance was fantastic. He was more subtle with the song than in the first performance, even if the production was over the top with the dry ice. The hair stood up on the back of my neck.

May 20, 2009 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  21. Dray

For Jason, who said "I just can’t believe they call it original… Tell Gary Jules that…": Even Gary Jules himself said he liked Adam's version better than his rendition. The emo version of this song - which Jules originated for the Donnie Darko soundtrack - was polished to perfection by Adam and came across more ethereal and haunting than Jules could pull off. If you can't tell the difference between the two version, you're not paying attention.

May 20, 2009 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  22. Dray

Funny... I'm glad I'm not the only Idol fan who has watched the replay of Adam's original performance of Mad World enough times to draw comparisons between this performance and the first one. I was glad he did the 'studio' version - longer and more satisfying. (Oh yeah, downloaded that off of iTunes the very next day.)

This kid rocks and he has consistently delivered from day one. The trench coat was unnecessary and a bit of a Columbine throwback. I'm afraid if Adam loses, it will be because (although the most talented) he came across as a little too scary for the hordes of teens and preteens who are willing to hit redial for several hours.

May 20, 2009 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  23. Lise

There is absolutely no comparison between these two. The obviously talented Adam should win,since this is a talent competition. Kris is a cutie pie who performs like a high school band member, and is just ok.However, it really doesn't matter at this point, Adam has made his mark.

May 20, 2009 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  24. xoxo

go kris allen.. adam is way over the top... kris allen kris allen

May 20, 2009 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  25. beast

i usually don't watch American Idol until they get down to the top 10, however this year was the best one yet. Adam was so awesome that I'm sure the shows producers must have been freakin out about what to do with him...I mean they had to make it sound like he did ok on several occasions (Ring of Fire) just so they could act like there was some competition. It's clear that Chris was intelligent enough to take on all the mentoring and the song development sessions to find his way through...But there is no question, there was never really any competion except between everyone other that Adam who was fighting for a slot in the top 10 and for second place. Adam is an Elvis incarnate that God has given back to us for the new Millineum and you know it!

May 20, 2009 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  26. Ben Lee

I loved the coat and the fog too!!! Well, it wasn't as good as the first time he did this...I think the surprise element is gone – but it still sounded good. I think he should have done "Whole Lotta Love" or "Play That Funky Music" to remind people of the kind of artist he is and why we love his performances.

May 20, 2009 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  27. Delia Ordonez-Tate

Adam fits into any environment on stage. Fog, lasers, or with one spot light it doesn't matter. He has the "it" factor going for him and that's going to take him a long way!

May 20, 2009 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  28. Joan

Adam, no matter what you sing, you are number 1 in my book!

May 20, 2009 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  29. Ben Lee

Gary Jules re-arranged the song and what Adam did was not an exact copy of what Gary Jules did. Adam made it a lot darker. Same with Ring of Fire, yes, it did sound like Dalina's version BUT Adam did not sing an exact copy of Dalina. Pay attention to the chorus...he kept it in the minor key. Yes, it's not an original Adam's rearrangement but he did not sing an exact copy of the rearrangement – he added his own elements into the song.

May 20, 2009 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  30. Tully

Agree with Laura 100% about the "toning down". I love the way he sang it for the first time with the solo piano accompaniment, everything was perfect. This time, because it was toned down, the effect was eery thus the long coat over boots and the fog worked. Beautiful indeed. I'm gonna miss you Adam!

May 20, 2009 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  31. kj

Adam screams every song he does! Does any of it really sound that great without all of the smoke and the lights? He is talented and he will have a solid stage career. Would I pay to download him screaming in my ears – I don't think so.

May 19, 2009 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Laura

I loved the coat and the fog! I also loved the song and performance. I think Adam was toning it down a bit so that the Adam blasters could calm themselves down and not immediately comment on his "screaming". I love this Adam's voice!

May 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Louise

In case Adam reads this...thank you for entertaining us all season! It wouldn't have been as exciting without you. As far as I'm concerned he cannot do any wrong. It's rather melancholy tonight knowing that after tomorrow night we won't have out weekly 'Adam Fix'! Congratulations on your new fabulous life!

May 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  34. hannah

This is a TALENT competition, not a religious debate, you idiots!
    Adam is the ONLY talent left on the stage! Adam, YOU ROCK!!!
    Simon said it ALL after the third song! Woohoo!
    BTW: Kris is a mediocre hick who wouldn't know what to do with a win if he got it!

May 19, 2009 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Elizabeth Lodge

Adam has that same streak of incomparable genius.... and the same humility... as Elvis. And the same gorgeous smile.

God was so in love with life the day he made Adam. And the morning he made Kris, he had gone without sleep for days.

May 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Karen

I love Adam's Mad World..........better than the orginal. And I loved 'the look'! Go Adam!

May 19, 2009 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mark

For all you Christian's, Adam would be a better Jesus in "Jesus Christ Superstar!" So vote for Jesus (Adam)

May 19, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Sarah A

Adam is #1 and should win. I'm tired of seeing people vote for Kris 'cause he's 'Christian' . Stupid people.

May 19, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  39. bridgette

It was not as good as the first time, but his presentation of the song, was fabulous. That man knows how to set the scene, for his performances. When he appeared in that long coat, I thought Twilight. He looked good, and sounded okay. He just needed to add some energy to the song. He sounded like he was half asleep, but I was willing to over look it and just stare at him singing.

May 19, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. HD

What the h3ll was Randy wearing?

May 19, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Tarheel

Adam is by far THE AMERICAN IDOL. He is the #1 reason people tuned in to AI each week. He is the Main reason that people will tune in next year... to see who will be the next Adam Lambert. Unfortunately, they will be disappointed because he is definitely one of a kind. My only regret is he never sang all of Bohemian Rhapsody 🙁

May 19, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Siege

I was just turning legal when Adam was born, and it's rumored that he's gay. I don't care. I have a serious cougar crush on this boy!

May 19, 2009 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  43. RH

Adam gave such an amazing and haunting performance of that song – AGAIN! His rendition of that song just gives me goose bumps. This is better than the original!!

May 19, 2009 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  44. DB

You would think he would know the lyrics for a final. Worn out SPACES..... Not... try places....

May 19, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  45. RJ

Over the top. I agree with Simon. WAY over the top. He also butchered the lyrics-he messed them up!

Go Kris

May 19, 2009 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  46. lin

I think Kris surprised everyone. Kris was the quietest one but he brought it every week and pulled out all kinds of talent and i am thrilled to see him in the finals.

May 19, 2009 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  47. JD

Thank God Adam was on this season..Could you imagine a Kris and Danny finale. Snore-fest. Who was more off-key.
    Go ADAM

May 19, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Jason

I just can't believe they call it original... Tell Gary Jules that...

May 19, 2009 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Larry "O"

HOW IS ANYONE SUPPOSE TO MAKE THAT LAST SONG SOUND GOOD. THAT SONG SUCKED, That is the worst song ever for them to release. Nothing to sing along with, no melody, sucky instrumentation.

GO ADAM!!!!

May 19, 2009 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Happy in Arizona

Sorry Adam. You just don't do it for me. Kris is the artist and so talented. My vote is for Krs.

May 19, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Jenny

What are Adams #'s? Vote for Adam! 🙂

May 19, 2009 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Kathy

Adam's "A Change" was ADAMMMMMAAAAZING!!!

May 19, 2009 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Babba

It was great but I wish he had done Whole Lotta Love or something like that instead.

May 19, 2009 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  54. S Callahan

Amazing is and understatement..i was waiting for the wretched scream...and he didn't do it...it was absolutely beautifully done...
    I was not an Adam fan but after hearing this and Change is comin' ...i don't know...he nailed it.. Great work!

May 19, 2009 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Judette

Adam rocked once again. I didn't expect this performance to move me as the first one, but still rocked. I can't believe Simon he was too theatrical when a couple of weeks ago, he blasted Randy for saying the same thing. Way to go Adam...at this point, you don't even have to win. You are already a star.

May 19, 2009 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Bob S

Adam can do no wrong, however, I must admit, the first performance of Mad World was AMAZING. This time, a bit anti-climactic. Kris takes Round 1.

May 19, 2009 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |