May 12th, 2009

Top 3: Kris does Kanye?

Let me go on the record right now and say Kris shut it down!

Kris Allen

Talk about going out on a limb!!!

He selected Kanye West/The Fray's "Heartless," and it was acoustic and not to be believed! This guy is amazing when it comes to the full-on artistry. Adam gets all the love for bringing something fresh and different to this year's competition, but he needs to share some of that shine with Kris Allen.

Even Simon had to give him his props because Kris smacked it up, flipped it and rubbed it down. OOOOO noooo!

Gokey better watch his back, because Kris seriously came full force. Way to go dark horse!!!

Filed under: television

1. Waylon

Cghris should be singing at a park with an open guitar case beggin for money. I laughed so hard when he tried to sing "Apologize"...it's a simple song even for his RANGELESS butt...and he still fell flat. Then he comes back with this lame COFFEE HOUSE version of a Kanye West. You Chris fans make me want to puke...ya got no ear for talent. CHRIS ALLEN IS A MALE VERSION OF ASHLEE SIMPSON!!!!!!

ADAM IS GOING TO WIN....SO KILL YOURSELVES!!!

May 13, 2009 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. vl

I thought Kris won the night last night.

May 13, 2009 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jo-jo

Adma screeches and squeals waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. It's very annyoning. Why can't he "just sing"???
    He's had way too much experience already in theater and musicals, it's not fair to the others.
    I hope Kris and danny make it to the top TWO.

May 13, 2009 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. joni

I can't wait to watch tonight's show... who will leave? All three of them should be this year's American Idol 209 !!! they are GREAT.

May 13, 2009 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. terri

Kris was MUCH BETTER than Adam last night........ good luck Kris, I voted for you!!!
    This has been a great season, with many wonderful singers!!!

May 13, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tom

Kris is BORING!!!!!!!!!!!! SAME SAME SAME!!! WHY bother, there are a million like him. He has no depth. How he made it this far is a mystery to me....

May 13, 2009 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ryan

I don't know if you liked it or not...stop talking like Randy and use real words.

May 13, 2009 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. hemnebob

i think kris topped danny's performance last night.
    kris has been the dark horse contender all along. i like all three of them but adam has been getting my votes. i got to give alot of credit to kris tho...he is very talented and brave doing kanye's song last night.
    very, very nice!! i laugh at the people complaining about adam and his ability to be different with his singing talent. just like david cook, he pushes things outside of the box and in today's world, that is how you have to do it, can't play safe all the time and the people complaining the most are the predictables...they don't like anything that is outside of the norm and for them, hey, that's their limitations. nothing wrong with it...some people are visionaries, dreamers, shakers and movers and then there's the sheep...

kris, you are very, very talented...but adam gets my votes.

May 13, 2009 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Barbara

Kris sounds like he's going through puberty at times. Soooo whinny too. Those faces he makes make him look like he's constipated.

May 13, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. yaya

danny was SOOOO boring and adam was soooo screechy. How is screeching through "one" making it his own! if only the judges would actually critique instead of hearing themselves talk!

May 13, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Deonne

I won't lie, I am an Adam-holic, but Kris rocked Kanye!!!!!!

May 13, 2009 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. akc

I liked Kris's first performance, it was on par with the original.
    The Kanye interpretation was just ....ok.

(To hear a great acoustic interpretation on a rap song listen to The Gourds covered "Gin and Juice" )

You can probably find dozens of guys on college campus around the US doing the same thing trying to impress some girls by doing an acoustic interpretations of songs.

Look Kris has a nice voice and is a talented musician, demonstrated by being able to play multiple instruments but is his voice distinct?......not really.

Nice guy who could find a following touring the college scene but he's not going to sell a ton of albums.

May 13, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BeadleBuggy

Kris was great last night, I liked that he did one song "as is" and changed the other one up. Liked his performance of "Apologize" but loved, loved, loved his version of "Heartless!"

I'm soooo OVER Adam! He's very talented but seems to not be able to do a song without his trademark screams! Had hope at the beginning of "One," but those were dashed by about a minute in.

Danny, good voice but totally out of his league with these guys! Allison should have been there!

May 13, 2009 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. s chek

Apparently I haven't had any of the Kris Kool-Aid. I don't get him. He seems like a really nice cute guy who plays guitar well and sings o.k. but I see nothing special about him other than the twisted mouth thing he does when he sings. If, as Mr Cowell says ad nauseum, this is a singing competition, Kris is way out of his league up there with Danny and Adam.

May 13, 2009 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tina

Kris, you won the night! Great job. You deserve to be in the finals with Adam.

May 13, 2009 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  16. surrenda

I was hoping that Kris would do good because I can't stand listening to Adam and Gokey is by far the better singer of them all. But Kris didn't bring it. He fell way flat especially on the last note. However Adam sucked just as bad but based off of the judges who is bias when it comes to Adam. I think Kris's time is up. Even though I hope that he and Danny will make it to finals...
    But in the end, Goooo Gokeyyy!!!

May 13, 2009 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Terry

I think Adam will win it all...but, I just don't like his attitude. He is a great singer as is Kris & Danny. This is the best finalist that have ever been on American Idol. They all will go along way.

I wish American Idol would send Paula to speech school, I get so tired of her stammering. Why doesn't she sing her opinions. It wouldn't bother me to see her exit AI.

May 13, 2009 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  18. in nc

Last week I was saying Kris should've been the one hitting the road. Last night when he said he was singing "Heartless" I thought, "this kid is going to fall flat on his face." I now gladly stand corrected. And, after Adam screeched through two of my absolute favorite songs, I actually think Kris has a chance of winning the whole thing.

May 13, 2009 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Damita

Kris is winning AI even if it means me permanently on the phone voting for him. I have been voting since yesterday and will not stop. Adam is great but I really don't think I can listen to an entire album of him giving it large with his voice. He is way too dramatic for my liking. A cross between Meatloaf and Steve Tyler.

As for Kris...he is just awesome. Even Jamie Foxx said he'd love to do a song with him. The guy is pure G-E-N-I-U-S!!!!!

May 13, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jen

HUGE Adam fan here, but I must say...Kris' version of Heartless may of very well been the performance of the season. Well done!

May 13, 2009 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Morgan

are you crazy1? That was terrible. Both of his performances were horrible and he should have gone home before Alison. Those lyrics did not go well with that melody. I couldn't even stay in the room.

May 13, 2009 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  22. mike

This performance compelled me to make my first vote ever for an AI contestant. WOW! Great job Kris!

May 13, 2009 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  23. mlewis2u

hated it! can't hold a candle to Gokey or Lambert.

May 13, 2009 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  24. KD in Houston

I think Kris is gonna win too. If he makes it to the finals he wins. He'll pick up the lost Danny votes... right now their votes are split.

May 13, 2009 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  25. Christine

My favorite song of the whole competition!
    Great job! I voted for him many times!

May 13, 2009 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  26. Sara

I like Kris, but am I the only one who has trouble understanding the words when he sings?

May 13, 2009 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  27. Sasha

I loved his version because it was so different than Kanye's. I didn't realize The Fray did that song also– can someone tell me if Kris' was similar? Just trying to figure out if his version was as "original" as I initially thought.

May 13, 2009 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  28. tj

Any random guy with a guitar playing in your local bar next Thursday night

May 13, 2009 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  29. lj78610

Waited until tonight to vote for the first time. I vote for Kris and think he should win. He has improved all season, never messed up, and only uses his talent to shine brightly. Adam is very talented, but not in a pop setting. (Please stop the shreiking, Adam!)

May 13, 2009 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  30. brown and proud

I really did not like this version, seemed to dry for me i think he is off tonight and its between Danny and Adam.

May 13, 2009 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  31. WI

I just don't feel the love for Kris' singing. He's ok but just not that great.
    I hope he's gone tonight.

May 13, 2009 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  32. Rach

I'm not a huge fan of the Kayne West version of this song, but after hearing Kris, I am going to buy it on itunes now! it was GREAT! he's the ONLY one who has changed things to make it his own this season. I'm tired of Adam's tongue hanging out when he sings, and I'm tired of Gokey sounding the EXACT same each week.....I don't understand why the judges love those two so much?! I think Adam finds songs to sing high notes each time, and you don't have to do that to prove you're a good singer...he's WAY too Broadway for me! GO KRIS

May 13, 2009 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  33. Tres

Again, I watch this show rarely if ever, I usually tune in halfway through an episode when my mom and sister are watching it in the room over. I have never done this, but I'm buying his version of Heartless of iTunes. And I HATE iTunes. I openly boycott it.

That was incredible. Also, I'll say this. I am no Lambert fan by any means, though I do respect his talent. Tonight, especially on "Cry", he was weak. He'll go tot he finale, but he was weak. He did the same thing he's always done. Gokey and Kris stepped up their game.

In closing, Kris blew me away. Adam didn't.
    And Bob has made the most realistic comment I've ever seen here.
    This really isn't a talent contest. It's a popularity contest.

PS. Kara sucks.

May 13, 2009 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  34. Trycksie

When i heard he was singing Kanye's Heartless i thought "What the flapjack?!?" I was hoping he didnt use that voice machine!
    Lucky for him it was not at all what i expected and he got my vote last night. That was great! I can see lots of people downloading that version.

May 13, 2009 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  35. CP

Kris was AMAZING...... Kris' version of Hearless was better than the original. I think it was the best performance of the night. I thought Adam was not that great, the judges have a bias for him. Kris is way better than Danny. Good luck Kris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2009 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  36. Lisa

Kris deserves to be in the finale!! I voted for the first time last night and all my votes went to Kris. I hope it is him and Danny next week. Adam screams way too much for me.

Way to go Kris!!!!

May 13, 2009 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  37. Karen

Kris deserves to be in the finale – this is the first year where all three are going to be stars - I love Danny – he has a beautiful voice but does not come across as a Top 40 show man. Tonight is all about who will be up against Adam.

May 13, 2009 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  38. Kristin

Have never heard either of the other versions, but totally did not get why everyone thought this one was so great. Didn't like it at all. Would never buy it. Would change the station if it came on the radio.

May 13, 2009 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  39. Jim

Chris is boring! Period.

May 13, 2009 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  40. Garry-Arkansas

Loved Heartless! Was worried at first, but dang..Way to go Kris!!
    ARKANSAS LOVES KRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2009 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  41. Dee

I think Kris is just plain boring. I guarantee that if you heard him on the radio today, you would n't know who it was unless the DJ announced who it was. American Idol is about the uniqueness and talent of it contestants. There is nothing special or unique about Kris. Oh, thats right, he's cute. You can't see his face on the radio folks. Adam and Danny are the true talents here.

May 13, 2009 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  42. David

When I heard what song he was doing my initial reaction was .. Oh no... then he just destroyed (in a good way) it!! absolutely the best perfomance of the night!!!! I hope Kris is in the finals... I would love to see him one more time.

May 13, 2009 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  43. CJ

Just Kris and his acoustic guitar. Unbelievable! I was shocked and stunned, and mesmerized! I kept waiting for a mistake, and there was none. I loved it - definitely a hit single!!!

May 13, 2009 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  44. t

He sucks

May 13, 2009 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  45. T T

Kris proved his has the most TALENT. He is the only true ARTIST as shown by playing the piano, guitar, and singing his butt off. Easy choice to most intelligent people. The other 2 are great singers as well but they don't have the total package. Kris' album will sell immediately. Super job!

May 13, 2009 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  46. Juan

HE IS THE ONE IN THE FINALE WITH ADAM!!!! NO DOUBT!!!!

May 13, 2009 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  47. yellowlablover

Kris rocked it out!!!

May 13, 2009 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  48. Tom

BORING!!!! Dull!!!! same same same....why everyone thinks he is just so good is shocking. When he performs, i loose complete interest. He is missing the it factor.

May 13, 2009 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  49. erico miami beach

I think Kriss will go on to win a Grammy faster than Adam and Danny. His delivery last night, the accoustic version, was really better than the original version.

May 13, 2009 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  50. YEC

I thought Kris' take on Heartless was awesome. He deserves to be in the finals. I've always said Adam will win this thing, but between Kris and Danny, Kris is the better talent. He has shown versatility, and hasn't hit a bad note at all this season. Danny is stuck in this bad jazz groove, and he's been off quite a bit throughout the season. And despite what Kara says, I think Kris was wise to leave "Apologize" just as it is, because there is absolutely no way that song can be made better. (I say that with a healthy dislike for the song, and that is not Kris' fault!)

May 13, 2009 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  51. Saburah

I really do not think that it was wise for Chris to do a Kanye West song. To perform Kanye's hip-hop song slower and while singing a guitar made it sound horrible. I think that Chris, like Kellie Pickler, has remained in the competition because of his looks, not because of his talents. He should have been kicked off a few weeks ago.

May 13, 2009 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  52. helen

Go Chris!!!No doubt that Adam can sing and sing GREAT. But he is a rocker. and I much prefer pop... Go Chris!!!!. They are all stars and will all have great careers! Go CHris!!! Gokey is great too, but Go Chris!!!

May 13, 2009 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  53. Amy Lomasney

Kris – STELLAR!!!

Adam is a great performer, but Kris showed us who the "artist" is. Way to go Kris!

May 13, 2009 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  54. Brian

A standout performance from Kris. He should get into the finals with that one.

May 13, 2009 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  55. John

To LP: A girl on the MTV show did it, but she also was not original. The band The Fray did an acoustic version of Heartless awhile back. I'm sure that's where the girl got it from also.

May 13, 2009 at 4:43 am | Report abuse |
  56. Margie

Kris did much better than Danny tonight I hope to see Kris and Adam in the final.

May 13, 2009 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  57. Derek

I hate how Simon Cowell went on Oprah the other day and said he thinks Adam will win. He, as a judge of the show, should'nt be able to show their bias for one contestant or the other. I'm saying this because, sadly, there are people out there that just go with what the judges go with. And I hate it. Maybe they're going to be right....but maybe not. If you watch the show, watch the damn show and make your own decisions. Don't just go with what other people are saying.

Kris...amazing job tonight. Loved "Heartless" Great song choice. No one was expecting it. And I wish you the best of luck man!

May 13, 2009 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  58. scoot

Love the new Kris!

Had him counted out but seriously brought his game tonight!!

VOTE VOTE VOTE

Adam "Skreetch" Lampert needs to go home!!

May 13, 2009 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  59. Susan - Canada

I have a feeling that Kris will go tomorrow night. Not because I don't think he isn't great...I, for one think he is the best of them all, but because of the love fest the judges have with the other two. His first performance on the piano gave me chills....whether or not he stays or goes, this young man will have a great future in the music industry. Good luck Chris!!

May 13, 2009 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  60. Wendy

I live in Arkansas and got to see Kris when he came home. It was so awesome. I love his personality. I hate to see people agrue about this show. Im a fan heart and soul, but its a tv show people. We do not have to cut each other down or fight. This is entertainment. Thats what i love about Kris. He is very down to earth and doesnt let the game get to him. He sets the standards. KRIS thank you for representing arkansas. YOU ARE AWESOME!!

May 13, 2009 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  61. Ralph

OMG! This guy is horrible. He looks like curious george and sings like a wanna be John Mayer. He really can't sing.

May 13, 2009 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  62. Victory

All three finalists have professional music careers ahead of them regardless of who takes the Idol prize for 2009. My take is that next week it will be Lambert and Gokey; in that order. My gut feeling is that Lambert and Gokey are the real entertainers. They would enjoy the road tours and could handle all the attention that celebrity brings.

Chris is equally talented. I appreciate his sensitivity. He might be happier as a singer/songwriter or arranger. Chris is the mind behind the music which he showcases in his artistically masterful arrangements.

May 13, 2009 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  63. Danica Tulloch

To me, Kris has a great voice and I hope he remebers that if he wants to win, he has to have alot of strength in his performances and he needs to make sure to choose the right songs but tonight Kanye was not the right choice for his voice. I know he is talented but he has to bring alot of confidence.

May 13, 2009 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  64. Ben Lee

HE BUTCHERED THAT SONG...AND I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! Pardon my enthusiasm! For once you can hear the lyrics and the melody...unlike the so-called "Pro"s who just bank on that stupid voice altering microphone, a lame fashion line and even lamer personality to sell a song. I love Adam but Kris' rendition of this song takes the prize tonight. I swore never to have that song in my hard drive but with Kris' treatment of it...it's worth letting Kanye West buy his next bling.

Kris, awesone job!!!

May 13, 2009 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  65. ST

Please take adam discussions to his area... this area is reserved for SINGERS only

May 13, 2009 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  66. Colby

Kris deserves to be in the finale!! His interpretation of Kanye West's song was brilliant. He's got real musical talent and doesn't try too hard.

May 13, 2009 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  67. irm

Kris Allen:

This is the embodiment of "Prince; Stevie: Bono: Bon Jovi and Seal.
    this kid is the most talented that we have seen on Idol. Adam is a showman and has all the right chops like Clay Aiken appealed to the crowd, but Adam get old fast and Chris lingers. Tonight was no different, his performance tonight wil be favorites played on itunes and you can bet they are already talking to Kanye West to re-releash his record.. That will be a battle.

May 13, 2009 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  68. McCartney

Kris keeps getting better and better. Whether he wins Idol or not, he'll be a successful singer. I just hope that Kris wins and doesn't give Adam (the smug theatrical screamer) the satisfaction of saying he won Idol. I voted and voted for your, Kris!!!!!

May 13, 2009 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  69. Sara

When Kris said the idea of the Heartless just came to him, I think he meant that he flipped on MTV's Taking the Stage when a high school girl did the same song. And better. Copy Cat! At least the high schooler had a beat boxer.

May 13, 2009 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  70. Rick James

LAME-O performance, totally stolen from MTV's Taking the Stage. My puggle sings better than Kris.

May 13, 2009 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  71. Bobby

Kris did very well with this song tonight and I thought it was one of his best. On the other hand, I have seen someone perform this song in this fashion from the show "Taking the Stage" on MTV. The girl that sang it did not use a guitar like she usually does but someone attempted the song in this style before he did.

May 12, 2009 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Allie B

Loved Kris tonight – as I have all season! I hope he makes it to the final 2 – he deserves it. West Coasters – please vote for Kris and let's put the Go in Gokey once and for all.

May 12, 2009 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  73. dara

all i can say is Kris blew me away. every week he is just more and more awesome. i like all 3 of the top guys–but Kris is the only one that i like absolutely everything he does. he will go far with or without the title, but he deserves to be in it till the end. Danny can sing–but he just doesn't step away into artistry. Kris should be making records and touring.

May 12, 2009 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Brenda

All 3 finalists are great in their own right. I initially favored Danny and have enjoyed Adam's performances when he does not scream, but Kris is my new favorite. He is unassuming. He carries the most musical talent of the three by his playing both guitar and piano. He believes in himself without being cocky.
    In this case, the end does not really matter.
    Kris has won Idol in my heart of hearts, but all three are good and all three are deserving.
    I was for Melinda Dolittle and Elliott Yamin too, so the "third spot", if you will is not a bad seat.
    While I would love to see a Kris/Danny face off, as a realist, I know it is not to be.
    The judges have campaigned for Adam from day one. I wish all 3 well. I can't wait to hear their CD's!!!

May 12, 2009 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  75. EBK

Kris, I hope you take it away!!!! That was beautiful!

May 12, 2009 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Beverly T

Chris was AWFUL as usual. He is rarely on key and misses notes on a regular basis. Yet...the judges still compliment him and somebody out there is still voting for him. He should defintely be the one who leaves tomorrow night. He is nowhere in the same league as Danny and Adam. No one would buy a Chris album or show up at a Chris show. He should find a band because he is not solo material.

Adam is the next Idol and I bet my husband that one back during the Hollywood audition days. My prediction was Adam as Idol, Danny second and Lil third – but she just seemed to fall apart week by week. I hated it because she is far better vocally than Chris will ever be.

May 12, 2009 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Caroline

I LOVED KRIS' VOCALS ON HEARTLESS-WOW FACTOR! I really like Adam and Danny, but I like listening to Kris' voice the best.

May 12, 2009 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  78. si

sorry, kris, but i am just not feeling you, man.

May 12, 2009 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  79. lanebrandi

Kris should be the winner. He is a natural singer and isn't into excessive showmanship. Adam is one of many out there. Plus not knowing about his background could be dangerous for AI. Anyway, Kris is a Christian music rocker, what could be more cool than that, plus he can do other things, too. What grossness is Adam into by doing all those awful things with his tongue when he sings. Nasty!!! Danny sings well most of the time but he has an air of being overly impressed with his abilities. The judges make excuses for him, as they do Adam. Did the judges ever say anything about David Cook's brother dying?

May 12, 2009 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Ang

BJMOM = Dark ages. Please come into the 21st century. At any rate, Kris was unusally good tonight, just like when he did "Ain't No Sunshine". I like Kris. He's cute, but he is not in the same class as Lambert or Gokey. Even if he wins, he is still not in the same class. I agree that this is a popularity contest and I also believe Kris is very, VERY popular. He is a likeable guy. But your views on men, eyeliner and such is just dated, plain and simple. Nobody wants to hear that closed-minded rhetoric of the past. It's just time to move on.

May 12, 2009 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Joyles

I honestly thought it was horrible and I am his biggest fan.

May 12, 2009 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Sherri

Kris was spectacular tonight. I really hope he wins. I know there are those out there who want Adam to win, and I agree that he has spectacular vocals, but I just get the absolute creeps when he sticks his tongue out and tries to play the "Kiss" wannabe. Last I checked, Dial Idol was predicting that Danny would be voted off, and they are not wrong too often at all. Go, Kris!!!!

May 12, 2009 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Nay

I thought he gave a rather funny, but boring performance. I still think Kris should have left weeks ago. He has a very limited range and can't hit many notes. I hope he goes home.

May 12, 2009 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Kim_Randall

This performance really made me think twice about Kris. It was absolutely amazing. To take a rap song like that and put an acoustic spin on it AND make it work shows that this man has talent as do Adam and Danny. I love his pure voice. He doesn't try to add anything "extra". He is who he is. It was a tough choice as to who to vote for tonight, but I think that Kris deserved that vote. Way to go!

May 12, 2009 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  85. sammy

I really enjoyed Kris' performance tonight. I already watched it over a few times. I believe that Kris will win Idol. After reading the blogs and seeing what America has to say, many people liked Kris over Danny and Adam tonight. He has a way of making a song sound different but the song stays true to itself. I don't like the way Adam changes the song so much beyond recognition and Danny just sounds loud most of the time. Go Kris!!!

May 12, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  86. ssiws

May 12, 2009 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Magie

Chris has a clean cut American look. He is the one to represent America. He is humble, well mannered, not arrogant. He should be the winner

May 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Tasha

I thought of that Taking the Stage episode too when I saw that. Although I am a fan of Kris, he really did take it from that show.

May 12, 2009 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  89. mgray

Love Kris, seems like such a good role model for young people. Just don't care for Adam and his drag queen look or his screaming...don't know if he can sing or not, he just screams. Danny Gokey would be my 2nd choice he does actually sing not hollar and stomp like Adam does. Kris has the most talent and will sell the most records. I can't imagine a CD of hollaring and screaming that is why I never bought a Taylor Hicks CD. Gokey could sell a few CD's, but I'd not buy one. I would buy Kris's. GO KRIS, YOU ROCK. Good job tonight, hope to see you in the finals.

May 12, 2009 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Ashley

good performance, kris! gokey is going home!

May 12, 2009 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  91. LP

Kris was not at all original with his performance... About 2 weeks ago a show aired called Taking The Stage on MTV... and one of the girls on that show performed that and it was original when she did it... he just didn't give her credit for it!

May 12, 2009 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Mary

Kris probably won't win, but look at Chris Daughtry. He went home and he has done much better than the "idol". Kris Allen is awesome. He is real and stays true to himself. Then again, I guess Adam does too with his screaming and tongue hanging out.

May 12, 2009 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Larry O

Best one tonight!

May 12, 2009 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Wizard

I hope we see Kris next week! It really is about whose style fits your taste, and all 3 have qualities that I like. But, as much as I hate to say it, Adam has finally gotten on my last nerve!! Kris is the new front-runner for me.

May 12, 2009 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Bob

B, you are kidding yourself if you think this is a "talent" contest. It is a popularity contest more than anything.

May 12, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Wayne's Music Journey

I always like Kris and thought he was so talented. A lucky guy with lots
    of talent. I liked the way kris played the piano and it was a nice setting but do agree with the Judge No #4. That the guitar would have better suited him. Then there was this little show about who choose the piano for him. Sorry to see that. It's just that I guess "She" realize somehow his stage Kris's stage presence with the guitar in his hand is his key. He seems to smile and haver a solid image and style that he gives off with that type of performance. Loved that second song. Fantastic Kris. All three were great tonight. Thats really cool. I feel sorry for who ever goes home but who ever it will be is a huge winner anyways. And to make it this far mean everything but I wish you the best. I like Kris too. It's not easy to say who will leave the next day so man be happy you did it.

Cheers

Wayne

May 12, 2009 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  97. RSC In DC

Brilliant!!! Please, can't stand Adam's high pitched screeching voice. If you've heard one song, you've heard them all...

May 12, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  98. mara

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!! He as just marvelous. Just perfect. Just outstanding. Kris...You rock. We love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 12, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Sam

Didn't like it.

I hope it's Adam and Danny in the finale. Although I'd be fine with Adam and Kris as well. Adam should win.

Don't assume anyone is going to win at this point. You need to vote for who you like regardless of what you think there chances are.

May 12, 2009 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Steven

Sorry BJ Mom, but you don't get to decide what a "man" does or does not do. A ~true~ man is true to who he is, and has the courage and the integrity to not make what narrow-minded bigots like you might think guide his life. So by that standard, Mr. Lambert is ALL man!

May 12, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  101. B

lol @ BJMom-you have a limited definition of a man and rather old-fashioned, frankly.

This contest is about talent and Adam is incredibly talented. They all are at this point. They are all very different types of artist. I think it just depends on what music you are "in" to.

May 12, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  102. bjmom

A "man" doesn't wear more black eyeliner than most women do. And if he would keep his tongue in his mouth and take off the eye liner and stop screaming......he might not actually be so bad

May 12, 2009 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Kristie

I was shocked when Kris said he picked Heartless until he sang the song and he was amazing. For me he was the Best of the night. Adam is very talented but for the last few songs he reverts into that high screeched voice and he loses it for me. What was up with that back up singer trying to outsing him? Danny was OK. I would prefer Kris and Adam in the finals.

May 12, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Nancy

Way to go tonight, Kris! Great job with the Kanye West song! It could become a hit, and it was WAY better than Kanye's version (imho)!

May 12, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Alison

Kris for the won – this was the stand out of the night

May 12, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  106. B

BJMom, what keeps Adam from being "a man" as defined by you?

May 12, 2009 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Lisa from NY

They are all amazing–but it should be Kris and Adam in the finals in my opinion, talented as Danny is in the singing department. Kris is the most current and interesting, if understated, Idol candidate we've seen in years. I'd love to see him pull it out, although Adam is the clear frontrunner. I must say that I don't care for the judges "predicting" the winner all the time, it seems unfair and inappropriate. Judge the performance, by all means, but it's not up to them to make that final judgement at this point–it's way too tight a competition for that and it unfairly impacts the outcome! Like Simon's shameless plea for people to vote for Adam? Oh, c'mon!

May 12, 2009 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Kim

Haven't been a fan to this point, but Kayne was AWESOME!

May 12, 2009 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Monica

Kris was AMAZING as usual... he is by far the best vocalist and musician!!! He will make great music! He better win!

May 12, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  110. bjmom

KRIS IS AMAZING. WHAT ELSE CAN I SAY???? Please send Adam home and let this be a competition between two MEN

May 12, 2009 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Bovary7

KRIS was awesome!!!!!!!! American Idol to me!!!!!!!

May 12, 2009 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Carrie

I loved both of Kris's performances tonight. Adam's already a star and I believe Danny has been over-rated the entire season. Kris gets high marks not only for risk-taking, artistry, and innovation; but also because I think he has progressed the most over the past 12 weeks. Kris has demonstrated an ability to learn, grow, adapt and innovate. He's earned the right to be in the finals. He's followed the path David Cook took last season to win American Idol.

May 12, 2009 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  113. karyn

AMAZING...sounded better than Adam or Danny tonight...hope you go all the way...

May 12, 2009 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Jennifer

Kris said he was singing Kanye, and all I could think was...
    WHAT?! NO!!!

Then, Kris sang Kanye. And all I could think was...
    WHAt?! YES!!!

May 12, 2009 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Julygulf

Kris nailed it. He proved you don't have to be a "screamer"

May 12, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  116. JL

Kris has the best voice. Period.....I thought the judges were stacking the deck for a Adam/Karaoke Gokey final....Kris was and is the best!!

May 12, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  117. lot

The final is going to be Adam v. Chris. And, believe it or not, it's a toss up...

May 12, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Linda

So surprising but I think Kris will win IDOL.....

May 12, 2009 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Mark C

KRIS WAS AMAZING TONIGHT!!!

He & Adam in the final & KRIS SHOULD WIN. I would definitely buy his album.
    That performance was perfect!

May 12, 2009 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Erin

Kris + Adam = Top 2

May 12, 2009 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Tiffany

I have been a Danny fan since day one... As of tonight, GO KRIS!
    Kris is in it to win it & totally won me over tonight... Kris is the only one that can take ANY song(even rap,hello) and flip it and make it his own.
    IIn my opinion, as of right now,, KRIS DESERVES TO WIN SEASON 8.

May 12, 2009 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  122. sandi

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Kris in the finals with Gokey. There is always an upset, I don't think it has happened yet this year. Besides that, I am not going to vote because I can't make up my mind. I want all three to win and that isn't going to happen. Kris is brilliant, I love Gokey's smokey voice and Adam is already a star.

May 12, 2009 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Sherri

Kris is AMAZING. So much better than the other two.

May 12, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Ron

Folks, 52 yr old rocker here. I've loved Adam this whole trip, followed by Danny.....Chris who? I'll tell what.....game on!!!! Chris brought it tonight with his thang doing West! No one, I mean, no one is given save! Best year so far.......total talent! Game on folks!!!!

May 12, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  125. AJ

i hope Gookey goes home... I love Chris... he's so true to himself!

May 12, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Chewpoo

Kris ROCKED TONIGHT!!!!!!

May 12, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  127. EB Allen

Best Kris I have heard all season.

May 12, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Bill

I don't vote, because I don't see the point in competing with millions of teenagers using multiple phones. But I'm tempted in this case. That was a beautiful gutsy move.

May 12, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Daisy

Wonderful!

May 12, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Julie

I repeat ... Kris was AMAZING. What a brave choice for a really talented singer! I'm so proud of him and I hope America does the right thing and keeps this talented man in the competition! GO KRIS GO!!

May 12, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  131. miss h

Mediocre at best.....I just don't get it...oh yeah...I've seen Michael W. Smith before.

May 12, 2009 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  132. TCJ in SC

He was the best on both songs tonight!

May 12, 2009 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Katie

Kris blows my mind. He completely and utterly deserves to be in the finale not just for his talent, which is obvious, but for his bravery in song choice and innovation in remastering these amazing songs. Sorry Gokey, but its going to be Kris and Adam in the finale.

May 12, 2009 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  134. ST

Tooooooooooooooooo gooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome voice, great singer – this is a singing competition right?

May 12, 2009 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Holly

That was the best performance of the night thus far. Looking forward to Adam's #2 song.

May 12, 2009 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Eva

I do hope folks vote for him. He was amazing and doing Kanye was a risk and he rocked it.

May 12, 2009 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Bob

Best performance of the night. Too bad he'll probably go home next week.

May 12, 2009 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Jackie

Didn't like it. It was predictable with the guitar. I hope I don't see him next week.

May 12, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  139. LS

Kris rocks,

May 12, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Lily

I though he sounded great. Much better than Adam...

May 12, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Tia

I take back all that I said before about Kris needing to just walk away because that was the most amazing arrangement and is by far – like Randy said – better than the original! I love that song anyhow but that sent chills down my back in parts just how emotionally connected he was in performing that! Amazing! I am at a loss for words.

May 12, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Cy

If only the judges could crawl out of Adam's .... Kris might have a chance.
    Sigh....

May 12, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Lis

Round 2 = tie between Kris & Danny.

May 12, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |