May 12th, 2009

Top 3: Idol Gives Back

Wow, I had completely forgotten about the Idol Gives Back campaign.

Ryan says the initiative has raised more than $140 million, and I loved seeing Carrie Underwood in Angola handing out bed nets.

Great to see our "American Idol" doing charity work in an African country, but oh honey you should never, ever attempt to do "the snake" again. Stick to being a little bit country and a little bit rock 'n' roll Carrie!

Filed under: Ryan Seacrest • television

« Previous entry
  1. Benjy

Carrie was great and it's a great cause.
    I really want to download the video of her trip that was shown on Idol – any ideas?
    thanks,
    B

May 18, 2009 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kelly

I love Carrie Underwood, her dance was cute and she admitted before she shook her little booty that she can't dance. We saw a2 second clip of it so don't cut her up. As far as uncomfortable, two years ago when they did a whole show on idol gives back she was holding kids on her lap and kissing them as well. So she is not uncomfortable, just editting to get through her reason to be there. Way to go Carrie and way to go Idol. I love you here in Canada!

May 14, 2009 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. Nicole

Oh please... she was so uncomfortable it was obvious. She didn't touch one of those kids. I bet she stayed in her comfy little car the whole time except when the cameras were rolling. Uptight faker is what I think.

May 13, 2009 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. cindy

Carrie is a beautiful classy woman, and I thought her rendition of the 'snake' was cute and funny. One of the better folks to come out of the Idol Experience... She is appreciative of the break idol gave her and continues to pay back for all she has received.

May 13, 2009 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. cynthia

the reason people go overseas to give is because in america we already have programs and opportunity for "everyone" – we have opportunity to go to school etc; and work our way up – and there are some exceptions where americans may have fallen on hard times but we have so many ways to help our own – so i don't feel bad if i help a country that doesn't have that luxury – these countries don't have food stamps and welfare and these children die at alarming rates b/c of basic things that we get for free – so before we actually knock people who help overseas – lets try to remember that america has been sooo blessed as to have programs that are designed to help everyone – africa, north korea, parts of india, ukraine, hati – we are our brothers keeper – and one way for americans to stay blessed is to give – doesn't matter to who – it could be to a fellow american or someone in another country – they are all lives – it shouldn't matter – it is a good thing that american idol has done and no one should take that away

May 13, 2009 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. J

They do give to America first of all. Secondly, Carrie can dance however she wants to, do whatever she wants, and still by far be the best Idol to ever come from this show.

May 13, 2009 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  7. Bonnie

Just got back from serving on the Mercy Ship in Africa. We think that we don't have health care, but we really don't know what it means. Saw a mom with 3 children blinded by juvinile cataracts. If the ship hadn't come, they would have been blind still....just one example of many.

May 13, 2009 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jeff

Carrie, Oklahoma is proud of you!!

May 13, 2009 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jerad

There's nothing wrong with helping African nations out but I wish more people would realize how many needy people there are in other parts of the world, including our own country. It's the millions of rural poor people that get overlooked in the USA. I guess it just isn't chic to help them out.

May 13, 2009 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  10. Barbara

The charity is fantastic. However, I have been taught that charity begins at home. We have so many people(grown ups and children) who are struggling to survive. Why can't we help them? We go to foreign countries to adopt, build schools, give commodities, etc. We need these things here. Many people do these acts for recognition. That is not important.

May 13, 2009 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. mr

I thought Carrie's dance was adorable!! Funny you had to spin that, when she put out great effort to help others!!

May 13, 2009 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  12. Dan from Iowa

How many billions and billions and billions of dollars do we have to give to Africa? Not just the US, but the whole world. For decades! And they still need more aid? I don't get it. Sooner or later, you think they would pick up their own ball and go with it. I won't give one more dime of my money if I think it's going to end up in Africa. There's something fishy going on with where all this money is going.

May 12, 2009 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ann

I am pleased to assume that Brandy and Wizard are helping people in the US, When people are in need they are in need – regardless of where they may be. There is enough to go around if we are all prepared to share what we have..... let's celebrate people's desire to help and not be snarky about it.

May 12, 2009 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Wizard

I'm glad AI spared us the full episode version of Idol Gives Back. I'm sure they do a lot of great things, but we have plenty of people here in the U.S. that are suffering...in many ways. I get tired of hearing about everyone elses problems.

May 12, 2009 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brandy

What about America? Why not give to America where we have people suffering right here?

May 12, 2009 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  16. M

Carrie has made no bones about the fact that she doesn't dance well ... but considering she went to Africa and you didn't, I wouldn't criticize ANYTHING she did while she was there ...

May 12, 2009 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  17. B

Snore

May 12, 2009 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Tia

I have been wondering all year when they would finally get to this.

May 12, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |