May 5th, 2009

Top 4: Our first duet of the night

Kris and Danny join on Styx's "Renegade," and I like the way they sound when they are harmonizing.

The judges seem to agree with me, so good for them.

Taken individually, Danny sounded like he was a little more on it than Kris.

But the pair together were hot, and they might want to think about taking that show on the road.

As an aside, I would like to say I am glad Paula refrained from going rocker-chick crazy with her wardrobe tonight, though it seems some of it may have spilled over to Kara.

Filed under: Kara DioGuardi • Paula Abdul

1. Bill

Did no one even notice that Danny botched his lyrics? I mean, come on – he messes up lyrics in the duet and wails like a wounded dog on his solo performance, but still gets kudos from the judges? That is just wrong!

I actually like Gokey & think he will be successful post-AI; however, he was the weak link of the night by a mile. Though I hate to say it, he should go home this week, with Kris next week, and Adam winning it all over Allison (sorry little rocker chick:)

May 6, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Chris Kirkpatrick

I don't know...guy/guy duets tend to lack enough contrast to make them interesting...the harmonies were nice when they sang together, but they were a bit simplistic, like the ones you'd expect to hear from a Disney princess...group performances and duets are always difficult because you have to practice together and one slip up by the other person could sink you both...sadly, Kris and Danny were screwed before theyopened their mouths.

May 6, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Susan

Sorry to say it was painful and I couldn't wait for it to end.
    Neither one of them had a good night. But then they aren't rockers so it was no surprise.
    They will be successful in their careers but not in rock. and they can't hold a candle to Adam.

May 6, 2009 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sasha

I thought it was ok, but what was up with the stoic/uninterested look on Danny's face? He looked like he wasn't all there. It's like something must have happend backstage or something...

May 6, 2009 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sherry

I thought they did a better job than Adam and allison

May 6, 2009 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  6. Carolyn

For not being rockers, I think Danny and Kris did pretty good. I enjoyed it probably because I'm not into the hard rock stuff. Now for Simon, was it really necessary for him to down Kris like that? You could really see the hurt on him and then to have to perform, my heart really ached for him. Maybe that is Simon's job, to get them ready for the real world....who knows....they should really be tough by the time Simon is finished with them.

May 6, 2009 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. asd

poor Kris was set-up. He had to sing the duet and his solo back-to-back. No one else has ever had to do back-to-back songs.
    Could have gone: Adam, Allison, Kris/Danny duet, Adam/Allison duet, Kris, Danny

May 6, 2009 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. Galoux

While I disagree utterly with Dody re Adam, thanks for this comment: "The harmonies on the Danny/Kris duet sounded great because interestingly, there were only two guys singing three part harmonies! And no one else on stage was on a mic. So, do we have extra singers backstage?" I'm glad I wasn't the only one wondering about this . . .

May 6, 2009 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. Kaus

I thought Kris seemed pissed after the performance. Whether it's b/c of Simon's "Danny's better" comment or b/c of some tiff with Danny, I dunno but Kris seemed a bit of a sourpuss. Yes, the harmonies were excellent but individually, Kris is the weakest link. He sounds so generic vocally- I mean if you heard these contestants on the radio, you'd be able to pick them out (although Allison might be confused for Pink), but Kris? He's got no uniqueness in his voice- plain white bread, no flavor.

May 6, 2009 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. nic

Okay, so perhaps I'm not the best musical ear posting here....I really enjoyed the duet! I LOVED the harmonies and their spin on the song. Neither or these guys are planning to be rockers, so they performed a song that better fit their styles– isn't that exactly what the judges keep telling them to do? I did think Danny sounded better- though I love Kris's artistry. Danny sounded better to me simply because he has a bigger voice. I didn't notice any major miscues from Kris- just that he seemed overpowered by all the instrumentation. Though it did look like Danny was incredibly uncomfortable– perhaps even tension–though I'll assume nerves. And I think Gokey has great commercial appeal– such a beautiful, pitch perfect, voice, except for Aerosmith he always sounds great.

May 6, 2009 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  11. luke

I don't think it's a good idea that there is a DUET portion because in the first place, it's a solo competition and having two competing singers in a song is unfair. Each contestant has a different flavor on how to attack the song and it is a disservice watching those guys having to sing DUET on a ROCK song...It's terrible and downright UNFAIR! It is more acceptable maybe if they did it on another week...

Adam and Allison are really great because both are ROCKERS! But seeing two balad guys singing ROCK, it surely is a disaster waiting to happen.

The dagger has finally been stabbed on Kris, after the lambasting of his duet with Danny, he has to sing solo...and was again stabbed by the judges after the performance,,, Poor kid...

AI should have done Adam then Allisson then their duet then Kris then Danny then their duets...

May 6, 2009 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. Dody

I was looking forward to Rock night and was very disappointed. The only performance that didn't make me squirm tonight was Kris'. I had to leave the room during Adam's ... I am a big Led Zeppelin fan and what he did to Whole Lotta Love was a travesty. Somebody needs to tell him there is more to singing than seeing how high you can screech with your tongue stuck out.

May 6, 2009 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. Darcie

This started off fairly well, with nice harmony, but then it tanked. Big time. Certainly not something I would ever want to see again!

May 5, 2009 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dave

It seems that Kris gave in to Gokey for song choice. They have such different styles. Kris likes mixing things up and going funky and Gokey just likes to ...well...Gokey. Kris tried making eye contact with Gokey during the performance and Gokey just stared out to the crowd either oblivious to the attempt to make a connection or was just plain rude. Gokey has very limited artistic appeal in today's music world. Kris can be very mainstream artistically.

May 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Josee

Love Styx, I am a big fan and saw them live many times, including last year with Gowan as a singer. Those two did BAD things to that song tonight... and I thought Danny looked VERY annoyed to have to sing a duet with Kris tonight... "it wasn't easy to find a song that would fit the two of us..." I usually don't like to say anything negative about the contestants ( like to encourage the ones I DO like) but I didn't get good vibes from this duet.

May 5, 2009 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Lin

Harmonies were nice, Gokey was awful, Kris was a half note better.

May 5, 2009 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Renuka

They can both go ... I was a Gokey fan but after hearing him attempt rock, I don't think he can survive for long. Kris just may have let Gokey be saved another week. But please let Kris go – now! This is just painful watching a kid like Kris trying to compete with real artists.

May 5, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sheri

Sounded great together.... Shame on you, Simon! At this point, the contestants deserve better...

May 5, 2009 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Brandy

I don't think they sounded good together. Wasn't a good fit.

May 5, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  20. bearhater

Screw you Simon, I want to Chris a huggggggggggggggg!

May 5, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Shelly

Wow! It was like watching a horrific car wreck!

May 5, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Givemejustasmallbreak

I would really rather see the contestants perform two solo songs than these weird duets. I'm not sure what the point is.

May 5, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Tina

Has anyone ever noticed that Simon targets those that he wants to leave this particular week? I'm sure you all have and this week, he is targeting Kris. Kris looks as though he could cry!

May 5, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  24. adamcrazy

I loved Kris and Danny together. Danny has more edge to his voice for the rocker sound but together they complimented each other!

May 5, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Judy

I'm Soooooooo Gladddd they paired Kris and Danny so that Adam will be paired with Allison. She is the only one besides Adam who can do a rock song – so it's great he doesn't have to suffer with being stuck with Kris or Danny Hockey.

May 5, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Andy

Hmmm, this duet thing is certainly awkward to me, a fan of the show since the first season. That said, I thought it was pretty good. Obviously something like that to me feels more well placed in a results show. I am not sure how this fits into how I am supposed to determine my vote. I mean are we now looking for America's next favorite duet now? (Sorry SYTYCD for ripping off your tag-line).

May 5, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Kara

Chris looked really bothered by what Simon said after the performance!

May 5, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  28. jadad

Yikes. Kris should just stick with John Mayer-kinda songs... Danny was way better! I totally agree with Simon. Go Adam!

May 5, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Kyla

that was painful...really painful. there was nothing convincing about their performance..horrible

May 5, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Bob

Ugh! Danny and Kris are definitely not rockers.

May 5, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Tia

This is an awesome new addition. Get rid of the high school musical montages and do duets or trios from now on!!

May 5, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Tina

Danny definitely did better than Kris, though I liked the harmony. However, Kris is going to have a hard time after Simon cut him so bad. You can read it all over his face!

May 5, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |