April 29th, 2009

Top 5: The journey has come to an end for...

** SPOILER ALERT: Wednesday night’s blog will eventually reveal the contestant leaving the show. Do not visit this post if you do not want to know the results. **

Ryan tells us that after 47 million votes, the highest of the season, we have our contestant who is going home.

Matt Giraud

It's Matt!

WHEW! That was close. Now I can breathe again. I feel like I was just totally toyed with, but it was good TV.

I'm going to miss Matt and his hats. Well, actually I'm really going to miss making fun of the hats, but still I think he is talented.

My condolences Kalamazoo!

Filed under: television

1. The best critic

Girls should stop obsessing over Adam and Kris. Kris is married for goodness sakes. His wife is right there in the audience. Adam on the other hand is a Glambert (got the term off of a more balanced blog). I love Adam (not his screeching), but girls need to wake up to his persuasion.

April 30, 2009 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Elaine

I have been watching American Idol since it began but voted for the first time this year for Matt...... from the very beginning I thought he was the best in the group and that's what prompted me to vote. I'm not planning to vote anymore and think Danny will probably win. Good Luck Matt, I hope to be downloading your music soon, I'm sure you're going to make it big. As far as I'm concerned you're already a winner!!!

April 30, 2009 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Barbara

Folks, you are overblowing the "bottom three" - out of 5 finalists, how low could the final 3 scores be? I, for one, was praying for the departure ot the pancaked face, shoeblack died hair Adam - I don't know what all the hoopla is about - he ain't that good, guys!!

April 30, 2009 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John

Finally! Can't believe he lasted this long...

April 30, 2009 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joe

I will say it right now adam will not win this competition people are tired of him screaming and his high pitch antics go back to broadway so you can dress up bud, also the competition will be between allison and Danny you can count on it my guess, it will be DANNY

April 30, 2009 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Peggy Brown

Best of luck to you Matt. It's going to be hard seeing any of the top 5 go home. You're all sooooo talented. Hugs, Peggy

April 30, 2009 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. inspired in mn

I am very disappointed that there are people out there so stuck on image rather than talent. Take a look at our legendary artists..Beatles, Beethoven, Mozart...do you think they became legends on looks? For those that are commenting on what you consider a flaw, I pray that you realize how shallow you are and work on your own insecurities instead of belittling others. Matt has more TALENT than most left in the competition and I am very sad that he left. Although, I am happy that he can now continue his music career. I look forward to seeing and hearing more from him!

April 30, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Barbara

Why do so many people feel Adam needed to be put in his place?? You need to have a big ego to get up there on that stage and perform. It's part of the whole package people.

April 30, 2009 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Chris

If it were just a singing contest, Matt would still be in Danny gone. But, it is not just the singing, that is why next week rock n roll, Danny or Kris will be gone. It just amazes me each year, someone will have so so weeks and advance, but yet when they have a genre that suits them, they sing well, but ultimately get kicked off that week. Adam will win if he stops screaming, he was bred for this.

April 30, 2009 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. Niki*

My Adam should have never been in the bottom anyway. Good scare Fox!!! This would happen the week that I didn't vote! Adam will show them next week. ROCK ON BABY!!!

April 30, 2009 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. Lil

I think people were complacent in voting. They assumed Adam had it "sewn up" so didn't vote for him.

April 30, 2009 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  12. Tshizzle

Why did they Photoshop the mole off his forehead?

April 30, 2009 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mark

Hey, is it just me, or did they airbrush out that bump on his forehead?

April 30, 2009 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  14. Terri

What is with the Adam fans? Maybe he truly was in the bottom three and maybe his cockiness will disappear along with the cockiness of his fans. He always acts like he is so surprised at the judges opinions of him. Give me a break! First of all, he's had alot of stage experience. He's not a diamond in the rough like the others. Second, he is getting boring and sounds the same all the time. I'm sorry Matt went home. He truly has a great voice and range and he will go far! With Matt gone, I'm rooting for Danny.

April 30, 2009 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. skyler

Sadness – will miss ya Matt. Was really hoping Adam was going off the show instead of you.

April 30, 2009 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  16. Diana says "New Talent"???

I thought IDOL was devised to bring NEW talent into our lives – and Adam is already working in show business. He's a good entertainer, but I think this competition is to discover new, raw talent – and Matt certainly has a wonderful talent that will be long-lasting with the right nurturing.

I think we will hear from Matt for years to come, and I for one plan to buy his music as soon as CDs begin to come out. In some ways, it's almost better to come in a little less than first, because after the year tour – a good producer can grab him up and make him the star I know he will become. I'll miss you Matt – until I see you again.

April 30, 2009 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  17. Terri

Thanks for sharing your beautiful voice with American Matt. I'm sure you will have a great singing career. Can't wait to buy your first record.

April 30, 2009 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  18. scott

I agree , there is only one professional in this group. Granted, they are all very, very good but only one in that group deserves to win this competition. : ADAM.

April 30, 2009 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jeanne

I have not voted so far and neither have ANY of my friends all assuming the best of the best :ADAM would be a shoe in!!!...

Next week we are all voting, over and over and over..it was sad to see Matt go, I could have seen a few others leave before him but it is quite obvious there is only one professional ( ADAM)..It is just a matter of who will be voting????
    If it is all young kids it may not turn out to reflect that...So, adults need to tune in and VOTE for what they feel is the best professional there~!

April 30, 2009 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  20. Kimmy

I demand a recount...IMO, Matt is more talented than any of the ones left. What's up with Danny still being there. Very disappointed in last night's show...I lost count on how many times I called and voted for Matt and only Matt!

Matt! Your great...I will be one of the first ones in line to buy your first CD!

April 30, 2009 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  21. Farrell

Matt needs to open his mouth and sing. I think the judges were hoping he would.

April 30, 2009 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  22. Mike

I would have been so happy to see Adam get the boot. He needs to stay on Broodway. He can take his tongue an stick it in his ear

April 30, 2009 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  23. teresa

I m so much in love with Matt. He is talented and lovable. He is gonna have a great career. Always love u , Matt

April 30, 2009 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  24. sukhwe

I was nervous that I Adam might be gone. He had great performance, except that the long note he hold for along time, that was a bit too much and may hurt the vote. Not all people like the "screaming". However, for me Adam is the only reason American Idol is interesting too watch this season, without Adam the show is kind of boring. In fact, he is the best vocalist and entertainer this season. Every week I am looking forward to hearing him performs. Adam's fan, please vote! Based on this week result, it looks like he needs more vote. Hope not to see him in the bottom 3 again!

April 30, 2009 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  25. Alice

The save was wasted! Even though I knew it would be Matt going home. I would have loved it if Adam had gone instead.
    I am so sick of him .He should have been the frist one to go!
    I do agree with Dan your girl will not be going home regardless!!
    It will be between him and Danny in the end, but if it was a talent contest without manipulation it would be Kris 3rd, and Danny and Allison in the final. I belive AL knows that so last night is as close as we will get to a honest ending , It must have been a birthday presant for them from AL

April 30, 2009 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  26. Sally

Please, please let Danny go home next week. Hes an okay singer, but the others are so much better.

April 30, 2009 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  27. HugeMattFan

Matt is an old soul, therefore this week's music selection was easy for him to sing. He did an excellent job and I applaud his musicianship. I will be buying his album when it comes out.

April 30, 2009 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  28. JDK

I believe Matt is a talented singer, he is not a star though. If he works with some professionals he does have the possibility of becoming one providing he stays with the songs he does best, ballads and blues. Good luck to you Matt.

April 30, 2009 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  29. Amanda, Ionia,MI

I liked Matt. I thought he was better than Kris OR Adam. I am glad the judges saved him. He was a good save. and a very smart move for the judges. I think everyone should listen to Simon once in a while.

April 30, 2009 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  30. Sal Nucifora

i think the top 5 all did a hell of a job to continue on, but in all realilty i do feel that Adam will come out no. 1. My gut feeling is that Adam could go further as an actor than a singer. i feel the other 4 will do real well with their singing careers. I wish them all luck and great sucess, they deserve it.

April 30, 2009 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  31. Natalie

Great Job last night Matt! Out of all of the Idols I think you have the most potential to be successful in the industry..... you were a class act and a true artist. Keep doing Jazz you were GREAT!

April 30, 2009 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  32. Nanny Nu

It is too bad, but someone does have to go home and it might as well be him. Winning is not always the best thing on Idol. Chris Daughtry did not win but went on to have a very successful cd. Ruben won Idol and fell off the face of the earth. And where is Taylor Hicks these days?

April 30, 2009 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  33. Dolores DelPriore

I really loved Matt. I am confident that he will make it, both in music and I somehow see him in motion pictures. There is a sweetness in his eyes and he lets you know that he has experienced life's goodness, as well as its sadness, just like the rest of us. I hope that he knows what he has accomplished so far – A LOT! He has a beautiful voice. I thought Adam should have left the show. He has become overly confident and I personally don't like his style. GOOD LUCK MATT!

April 30, 2009 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  34. Lady_Chat-er-ly

I am glad Matt is gone. I could not stop staring at the thing on his forehead. Was like looking at the Tide talking stain. You couldn't focus on anything else, much less his singing!

April 30, 2009 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  35. anastacia

i think that adam is going to win, even though i cant stand his screetchy voice. it makes me sick every time i hear it. i am not voting any more, due to the simple fact that matt is gone, he brought light to kalamazoo and i know he will continue on. i am happy he got this far and wont be surprised when adam is announced american idol. i also think the show will tank with out simon next year when his contract is up. lets hope they come up with a new one or the idol rein will be over...

whomever doesnt get idol is blessed, look at jennifer hudson, daughtry etc. they are all doing fine. 🙂

April 30, 2009 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
  36. fan

I don't buy that Adam was in the bottom 3. It's bull****!!! If they get rid of Adam it's because he's gay, and that would be discrimination. There is no doubt that fans have their favorites, but really ... the best singer, the best entertainer, and the best overall performer is ADAM! Kris is the cute teeny-bopper (limited talent), redhead the young talent (still raw), Danny the one with the sad story (one-dimensional), but ADAM is the innovative artist that we all wait every week to see what he does next. That my friends is an artist! He should be the next American Idol. If he does not win, I will change the channel forever on a very biased show. GO ADAM!!!

April 30, 2009 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
  37. Claire

I think that's american idol's policy of making ppl vote more by putting the BEST 2 contestants in the bottom 2... ADAM & KRIS!!! WHATTTTTTT???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 30, 2009 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  38. MD

Well, overall it went as I'd expected..
    I do think Matt did well last night, and though I was never a "Matt fan", he does have talent. I think mostly I felt bad because he seemed so excited about Rat Pack week..and for that to be what did him in, well, it was just sad. :o(

I think that next week will be the end for Kris, the following week will be it for Allison, and then down to the final two in Adam and Danny. I really like Kris and Allison, but I don't think they'll make it to the very end.
    I think the next few weeks are going to be really painful to watch around here!
    We'd be happy with any of those four winning, and will be even sadder now each time one of them gets voted off.

And as I see others have already noted..personally, I think that putting Adam in the bottom three was just a trick to 'spice it up', The looks on Danny and Allison's faces when they told Adam he was in the bottom three were just looks of complete shock. Myself I'm not even convinced Adam was even VOTED to the bottom three, but maybe since everyone else had done so well, they had to just "pick" someone to put down there–and Adam was going to get the biggest reaction for being listed at the bottom, so they put him there.
    Yes, it is POSSIBLE that he got voted to the bottom three–but I just kind of doubt it with all the hype that's surrounded him from the beginning.

In closing, though I would personally still LOVE to see Danny win, I still think Adam is going to take it this season.

April 30, 2009 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  39. honowoowoo

Shame on AI producers! Do you really think we bought this crap tonight?? Shame, shame, shame!

April 30, 2009 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  40. Kin (Anaheim, Ca.)

Matt is OK , but Adam is a Pro and really needs to leave the show.
    He sings the GOTHIC sound and many people like that crap...

April 30, 2009 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  41. Billy

Chloe, it is great to see such a positive comment. You are a really great person to support Matt in this way. We need more comments from people like you, you accept that the person they like is voted off and not be condemning of AI or the other contestants.. Thanks, Chloe for a very refreshing attitude.

April 30, 2009 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  42. Robert Grimes

Per what Sally said a few threads back. We need to make sure that we VOTE for Adam if we indeed want him to be victorious! What a talent!

April 30, 2009 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  43. Ha Ha Ha! Adam in the Bottom 3!

They did NOT fake it. they cannot do that and you KNOW it!

Ha ha ha!

Adam is not the big singing God you all think he is!!!!!!

April 29, 2009 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  44. jessica

Adam is too dramatic, should be doing broadway maybe...he shrieks. Too bad the talented singer is gone!

April 29, 2009 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Denise

It was definitely Matt's time to go. Next week it will be Kris Allen.

April 29, 2009 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mark - Nashville

Matt will go back to the piano bars....you all can go see him there. Nothing special about him...I've heard SO many just like him in the clubs....
    And you people who think Adam Lambert just acts know nothing about performing....the kid has it all. And at least that false term "pitchy" has never been used to describe his singing....

April 29, 2009 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  47. jl

It's about time. My goodness he's already been given two chances more than he deserved. If he was that deserving, he would have been voted in the original nine. The he acts like he's upset about being voted off.

April 29, 2009 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Dennis

It was his time to go. My question is why go any farther with the judges 'gushing' over Adam. He is good and he knows it and shows it in an almost contempt style. The others could 'bring it' but its likely too late.

April 29, 2009 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Judette

I am going to vote for Adam next week at least 100 times. I can't take this kind of suspense.

April 29, 2009 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Islander

Now we know why Fox refused to air Pres Obama's press con.
    They have something up their sleeve.
    Seems like Adam Lambert thriller of being voted off will catapult the ratings and the earnings to stratosphere for Fox. I hope they give Adam a percentage of the grosses for making this happen for them.

April 29, 2009 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Dunerider

He seems like a nice guy, and I wish him well. The hats and what he was trying to cover up with it were very distracting. I'm sure it'll be gone by this time next week. I feel badly for the guy he didn't get it taken care of earlier so it wasn't so much of a distraction. Good luck to Matt.

April 29, 2009 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Kristi

I will miss Matt. He was my reason for watching the show.

April 29, 2009 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Sherri

No surprise there.........

April 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  54. chloe

Matt has got it made. To make it this far, wow. Lets see an album now. He will be out of the Idol contract after their tour, so he just might be another famous person like Jennifer Hudson and Chris Daughtry. Time will tell. You made it to the final five. You have nothing to be ashamed of. Be proud. You deserve it.

April 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  55. rek

Matt was one good performer. He has a very beautiful voice. I wish him the best.

April 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  56. dont believe it

No way Adam was in the bottom 3. Check dial idol, he was tied with Goeky for 1st. AI is just trying to be dramatic and keep us watching. Keep Adam we'll keep watching.

April 29, 2009 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  57. maggie t

we should boycott AI next week NO-ONE must vote. Please don`t ok.

April 29, 2009 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Snowball

I'll miss Matty and his soul. He's such a unique entertainer, that I'm sure he'll have a great career. God bless him.

April 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  59. julie

has danny ever been in the bottom? love, love, love his raspy voice and stage presence....

April 29, 2009 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Jen in Kzoo

Matt made Kalamazoo proud!!

April 29, 2009 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  61. studiodee

I have to think the masses didn't vote for Adam thinking he was a shoe-in. And many voted for Allison to save her. Societal behavior here makes sense. It was pretty apparent too that Kris would be named safe first just for drama. Going to be a good finale between Danny and Adam. And you can bet from here out EVERYONE will vote, and many times, for their favorite.

April 29, 2009 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  62. sue

Let's just hope Adam-the-actor is humbled a little. Is he good? or even great? He IS a great...actor. And he is acting all the time. This is a singing competition. He is always acting.

April 29, 2009 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Jamie

ugggg! That final two was torture!!! Im glad Kris is safe and really glad Adam is safe! Scary!! Im wondering who it will be next week with it being Rock and Roll week...Danny??

April 29, 2009 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  64. smatt

Aw too bad, no need to watch AI anymore this season. Looking forward to Matt's upcoming career – sure to be more successful than any of the other finalists!

April 29, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Anna

Matt,

You sang beautifully tonight. Keep to your raw, soul/R&B essentials and sing like you did this week, and I'll be first in line to buy your album.

Congrats on a great run. We'll miss you on American Idol.

April 29, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  66. BDubbs

I thought Matt deserved to go home this week, but I'm still a fan. He's got so much potential and will continue to get better. I won't be surprised if he has the biggest career out of this group (except for Adam Lambert of course).

April 29, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Islander

American Idol knows how to make REALITY TV thrillers !
    It will be Adam and Kris in the finals .

April 29, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  68. sabrina

Wow, that was close.. Okay all you Adam fans.. we gotta call and call alot next week!!!!

April 29, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Island Folks

American Idol knows how to make Realitly TV thrillers !
    It will be Adam and Kris in the finals !

April 29, 2009 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  70. LeoD

The producers know better not to manipulate the results, but they surely can tweak it to make it more exciting. They just let Kris return to safety...for the thrill. I like Adam. But, I understand how America feels. He’s just showing the same stuff over and over….yawn! Hey, Adam, lessen your screaming, show us some new stuff…Cheers!

April 29, 2009 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Kevin Cortez

IMO Matt is a better singer then Kris, by far..the only thing going for Kris is that the ladies like him.

April 29, 2009 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  72. john

Adam should have gone instead

April 29, 2009 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  73. jim

It should have been Adam. Oh well, he will be gone next week. People are sick of that screaming.

April 29, 2009 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Delilah

All this drama.. such manipulation! AI is milking Adam for all he's worth.

April 29, 2009 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  75. lynn

You're going to miss making fun of him? You're an idiot!!!

April 29, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Joan

Yeh, that was a blatant manipulation on the part of the Idol producers...good TV and what a way to send fans to the toilet with nervous tummies...please don't do that to us again....

April 29, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Sally

AI was just messin' with us.....I know that Adam was not in the bottom 2 or 3 or even 4. They're just tryin' to make this look like a competition and all it did is make Adam fans pissed. I'm pissed. I don't believe for a second that Adam was in the bottom. No way, No How.

April 29, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Travis

Thank jebus. Deuces Matt.

April 29, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Dan

Bummer..liked his style! I guess all the rest of you Adam-aniacs can stop your waving of the face and other dramatics. Your girl is safe to sing again!

April 29, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Bob

Well, that's that for Matt the cat in the hat!

April 29, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |