April 29th, 2009

Top 5: Remember Taylor Hicks?

Hey, didn't this guy win "American Idol" a few years ago?

Taylor Hicks

I like him with the shorter hair and the guitar. He sings his new single "Seven Mile Breakdown."

What is that, country, bluegrass or what? He's still rocking the harmonica and he looks good, nice and svelte.

Out of all the "Idol" winners he's the one I remember least. Is the Soul Patrol still in effect?

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. CaFan

Taylor Hicks remains the prototype for all male idol winners who followed him. Clean-cup, handsome, boyish (yes, in spite of silver hair). They are all cut from the same cloth (Taylor's). And all you great Taylor slammers – you are so yesterday. Get with it – it's no longer 2006!! It's no longer considered fashionable to try to "get Taylor." He has a newer, younger group of fans. Forget this Daughtry comparison BS. I believe 70 percent of Daughtry fans are male, 15 to 35 years of age. The vast majority of Taylor's fans female – he's more of a ladies man. And his newer fans are getting younger & younger. Taylor Hicks will be around not only as a recording artist but as a Broadway & movie actor when most of today's performers are forgotten.

June 25, 2009 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. wedding singer

His sales are terrible. What happened to all the fans who bought his first album? Has the Patrol lost its Soul? Taylor is the worst country singer and they sent his new song to country radio. LOL Anyone remember Country Roads? Kristy Lee Cook and Phil Stacey sing country better and that ain't sayin' much!

May 7, 2009 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. Nancy

Uh, yeah, the Soul Patrol IS still in force! Judging from the screams and cheers when I saw him in "Grease" last month, and the long line of people waiting to have their CDs signed, and the huge crowd of people also waiting for him outside the stage door, yeah...I'd say the Soul Patrol is still in force!

May 4, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. BLACKEYEDPEA

Taylor was great!!!! Love him. He looks yummy too.
    Glad he was able to do his own kind of music, not the manipulated Idol winner machine that turns everyone into pop, even if they shouldn't be. You go Taylor!

April 30, 2009 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Christa

Love him!!!

April 30, 2009 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. CB

Taylor won AI fair and square. What is Katherine McFee doing lately? Come on, Simon set her up for failure when he picked Somewhere Over the Rainbow for her to sing. Yes, Taylor does look a little spastic sometime but he is not over the top as say Joe Cocker. How Joe Cocker ever got a recording contract, I will never figure out. His voice to me is like nails on a chalkboard. Taylor is successful and no one can deny him that. Those that put him down are in league with Chris Daugherty. Daughtery had a fan base for a while but what has he done lately? ...Nothing. They will be saying the same thing about David Cook in a couple of years. I do not see him lasting. As for David Archuletta, please...just a whinny kid. Did anyone really think he would last? Come back in ten years David Archuletta and give it another try then....if AI is still around by then.

April 30, 2009 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. DeLong

Just goes to show just because you are #1, doesn't mean you will be that successful and also the 2,3 4 or even 5th runner up may do much better. Hey American Idol Program gives you a superb "showcase" then from there it's on the individual's shoulders to progress or in some cases fall off the wagon...

Hicks seems to be a down to earth nice guy, but not sure if I would count on his singing to pay his mortgage payment, or possibly even a starbucks latte'.

April 30, 2009 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sherine Levine

The biggist shock of my life: Adam in the bottom! How could that happen. He's way better than the next best performer (Danny).
    If Adam doesn't win this thing, it'll prove the system doesn't work.
    SavtaShayna

April 30, 2009 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Canopy

Hilarious comment Kelly...I'll have to replay it and compare!

April 30, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Canopy

I like Taylor Hicks better now than I did back then. Still can't figure how he won though.

April 30, 2009 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. KD in Houston

Taylor and Adam are just alike. Fun to watch but not really all that exciting to listen to if not watching their performance at the same time.

April 30, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lubiana

He was FANTASTIC! Incredible and perfect. Great performance and a great album too. 🙂

April 30, 2009 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Barbara

Nice voice for country music. That's what he should stick to.

April 30, 2009 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. brownhairedgirl

The Soul Patrol is alive and well. I was very happy with Taylor's American Idol performance last night. He Rocked that stage. 🙂

April 30, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jan

Taylor's enthusiasm is infectious and he makes me smile. He loves what he does and it shows on stage. There is something special about Taylor Hicks!!

April 30, 2009 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  16. Dan

Nice guy...........but not a good singer!!

April 30, 2009 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  17. linda

Taylor was great last night. He can do all kinds of music and makes any song he does come alive. Just an incredible entertainer!

April 30, 2009 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  18. speakingtrue

Oh yes, Taylor fans are out in force. We are the reason that Grease was able to bring in a extra $150,000 a week while he was in New York. We are the reason that Taylor had two back to back very successful tours. We do need to buy more albums but we just enjoy him live so much and we need our money for travel. He is great , more fun than any entertainer I have ever seen and he lit up the stage at Idol last night. First time I have watched it in a long, long time.
    Adam who?? haha
    Naw, Adams fine, but none of them can compare with Taylor Hicks, the ultimate performer.

April 30, 2009 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  19. Susan

Really liked Taylor's performance....he won because he was original, a relatable story, and uniquely talented. Not bad looking, either...especially now.

April 30, 2009 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  20. Kelly

Ugh...flashback to Season Five!

It cracked me up when his advice to the contestants was about how you move on stage. To me he always looked like he was one step away from a full blown seizure.

April 30, 2009 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  21. irish

Yes I do and I would rather not. Someone please pass the "brain bleach"!!!!

April 30, 2009 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  22. Jules

Taylor was A+ on his game last night...he is a great singer and charismatic performer. Great to hear him playing harmonica. It reminds me why he won Idol. He was a chunky monkey then.. now he is slimmed down and well dressed, and well, hot!

April 30, 2009 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  23. Missy

People have compared Taylor with Gokey but I think he has more in common with Adam. Both Adam and Taylor have decent voices and are fun to watch. I don't think that either one will do well on the radio, but there are other ways for them to be successful – theater, tv, video, concerts. Radio is not the only measure of success for a performer. Taylor and Adam are the only two AI contestants that I would ever pay to see, although there are others that I would buy their CDs.

April 30, 2009 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  24. marta

I have to admit Taylor Hicks was much more entertaining than David Archuleta was last week. Good for him!

April 30, 2009 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  25. Beth

He looks like George Cloney!

April 30, 2009 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  26. Stacy

I loved his voice and his sound. I thick that Clive Davis dropped him for no good reason. Maybe if Taylor had been a crack addict or something like that (Whitney Houston) Clive would have helped him out.

I hope Taylor makes it without the Idol machine...look what happen to Kelly when she tried to break away...they also did her in.

April 30, 2009 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  27. Pat

Florida Dude, Worst Idol ever: Ruben Studdard, Taylor next.

Justice played out Chris Daughtry "won" anyway.

April 30, 2009 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  28. Dennis

Taylor was the Idol winner I remember the MOST!!! Simply because he was the BEST ENTERTAINER Idol has ever had! Last night the new slimmer Taylor was once again just that. The Best Entertainer!

April 30, 2009 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  29. Las Vegas Linda

Nice guy but never understood how he won...........He's a bar room singer at best.

April 30, 2009 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  30. Rebecca

People, people, people..... Taylor has fans that like his type of music. Just because you don't like his music does not mean what he does is not cool. At least his songs have some substance.... unlike someone... I mean seriously, "My life would suck without you".... just kind of child-like.

April 30, 2009 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  31. Cheryl in NH

Soul Patrol, Baby! Groove on Taylor...can't wait to buy your new cd. I love his southern rock/bluesy style. He's hot now with the new cut and svelte look.

April 30, 2009 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  32. TSRVT

Taylor did the best of three very weak performers tonight. Natalie Cole's voice sounded thin and reedy, but the orchestration and sax solo were excellent. Foxx just plain stunk. Taylor's performance was nothing to write home about either, too much cacophony for my taste. But it was measurable better than the other two vocally.

April 30, 2009 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  33. Kathy

Hmmm...Taylor finally found his niche...I liked the song...I was really surprised to see him on AI, since the bad breakup with the record label and all.

April 30, 2009 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  34. Ohio

Oh, and I told my husband that I thought Taylor was better than Lady Ga Ga AND Fergie!

April 30, 2009 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  35. Ohio

I love Taylor Hicks. And oh yeah, last I heard he was performing in Grease. Hmmm. Is Chris Daughtry? I think not. I don't know anyone that follows Chris Daughtry. I've been waiting for Taylor's CD to come out and now it's finally out! I LOVE his voice – he reminds me of Michael McDonald (Doobie Bros.). Love him! He was by far better than Carrie Underwood and David Archuletta! I like David Cook, too!

April 30, 2009 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  36. pigeons2001

I've seen Taylor perform with Widespread Panic and he's awesome on harmonica!!

April 30, 2009 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  37. Juanita

Dean,
    Ms. Cole has been extremely ill. In fact, during her appearance on The View, she didn't walk out on stage in front of the camera because she's been extremely weak. She is in bad need of a kidney transplant. She's a trooper for pushing through and deserves our respect.

April 30, 2009 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  38. Cathy

Taylor looks and sounds great. It's so refreshing to hear an artist that is unique. I loved seeing him again last night. I'll buy the CD today and I hope to see him in Grease when it comes to Atlanta in August.

April 30, 2009 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  39. Rae

Taylor Hicks was totally awsome. Love the song...he looks great!

April 30, 2009 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  40. dan

agree w/ peggy. taylor is pretty good. i'm actually a bigger fan of singers that sound like bruce springsteen and billy joel than i am of a screeching 70/80s rockers. if you know what i mean. happy w/ last night's results.

April 30, 2009 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  41. CW

AWFUL !!!!

April 30, 2009 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  42. Judi

I have always been a fan of Taylor and voted for him. He has a great style with plenty of energy. I have seen him live in concert and he is quite a performer. He had the whole house out of their seat and bopping to his music. I like his new look...and I would certainly go see him again. YEA SOUL PATROL!!!!

April 30, 2009 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  43. writergal

Taylor did awesome tonight. Those who don't like him, well that's why this a free country. I love country music and I love the passion in his music and he played 2 instruments and is still a working musician. He's doing just fine and he's still hot!!!!!!! And he did make a boatload of cash touring and he's still doing well, so if that's not success I don't know what is.

April 30, 2009 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  44. Laughin'

The truly interesting thing about Taylor Hicks is how well he played the game. In his book he described how he worked the system to his advantage. His goal was never to become a pop star but by winning it would set him up to be able to run his career the way he wants it for a very long time. Rarely is pop music also quality music and he has chosen to not be part of that lowest common denominator 3:00 fluff that runs up the charts. The fan base may be smaller but they loyal, appreciate true musical talent and actually pay for the albums.

April 30, 2009 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
  45. Penny

I thought Taylor Hicks performed well and was disappointed with Jamie Foxx and Natilie Cole who both obviously had a bad night. But, if Taylor was competing this season he would never have made it in the top 10!!! HE STINKS and is a stiff performer. I thought his legs would break during his performance. Sorry, but that is the truth. He is unforgettable as an Idol winner and should never have won. Even Matt G. has more talent in his pinky finger!

April 30, 2009 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
  46. Adele

I love Taylor, I think he has a great voice !!!

April 30, 2009 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  47. Ken

Hello, America. Danny Gokey = Taylor Hicks, i.e., atrocious.

April 30, 2009 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  48. Dorothy

I thought Taylor looked great, trimmed down quite nice, looked rested and looked as if he was having a great time up on the Idols stage tonight. I thought his singing was awesome and I am glad he is settling in . He seems like he is a great guy and I wish him the very best.

April 30, 2009 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  49. CB

I thought Taylor Hicks did a great job tonight on AI. He seemed to be happy to be back on the AI stage and show Simon that he has come a long way since he won in Season 5. I disagree with people who say that he is the least popular of the Idols. Look at Ruben Stoddard. When is the last tume he went on tour? He can't because his albums don't sell. I saw Taylor at the House of Blues in New Orleans and he tore the place down. Wall to wall people jumping up and down dancing with him. He put on a great show and I would go see him again if and when he comes back to the area. Seeing him in concert and on TV is two different things. Say what you might about him, Taylor will do okay for himself

April 30, 2009 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  50. just goes to show ya

winning Idol does not actually matter one bit

So go ahead and vote Adam all you want, even he wins, he won't really win in the end.

He'll still end up being the next Peter Allen

April 30, 2009 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  51. you'll forget Adam even faster

Taylor who?

And you'll all be saying Adam who? in like 6 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 30, 2009 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  52. Aly

I still don't know why he won. He still can't sing.

April 30, 2009 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  53. Bobbaloo

GAG!! THE worst winner of AI ever!! And he is stinking up Grease in LA too! reviews stink..and not the PR reviews either.

Find it funny that down to 4th place finishers have sold more than this weirdo AI winner. Why cant he just fade away. Just horrible.

But dont say that in front of those soul patrol whackos..they will get you banned lol

April 29, 2009 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Bazz1

It just astounds me that Taylor Hicks won American Idol several seasons back. Then they bring him back to perform one of his newly recorded tunes tonight and not one word has been mentioned from the start about the truth of this man. The truth: He has absolutely NO rhythm! He bounces all over the stage, less now that he apparently has some professional handlers, but he seldom matches a beat of any song that he's singing with his body movements. It's too strange and it drives me nuts! I'm sure I'm not the only one, who has noticed. I'm sure Taylor is a nice guy, but even nice guys have to have rhythm to break into show business, right?

April 29, 2009 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  55. jl

Guess AI has to promote all of it's past winners, although Taylor is probably their least memorable one. But then he was better than Katherine McPhee who came in second that season. Still haven't figured out what his true genre of music is.

April 29, 2009 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Peggy

I thought Taylor Hicks sounded great. This is his kind of music. Although I didn't think he was the best singer during Season 5, I always enjoyed watching him and listening. He certainly did better than Kellie Pickler did, and I certainly enjoyed him more than David A.

April 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  57. MississippiGirl

Always loved Taylor Hicks. He makes me smile when he sings. I thought he did a great job tonight. He may not have been the most talented singer but he could definitely entertain and get the audience on its' feet. Probably the most likable contestant ever.

April 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Hayden

True, Taylor may not have had the same visible success or radio and music video play as the other Idol winners, but he made a boatload of money while touring, and now, during his stint on Grease. He's the only Idol whose style of music I prefer the best.

April 29, 2009 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Dean

I thought that Taylor did an awesome job – the other two – not so sure. I thought that Natalie stunk – sang off key half the time. Glad to see that smug Adam had to stand in the bottom three. He is good but just too cocky in my opinion. There is so much talent in the final four I won't even try to call it. I love this show with a passion.

April 29, 2009 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Dave

He was never has been, Others have done better.I will never buy his CD. a wingnut for sure. Fly on taylor,you have not a clue.

April 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Fitzwilly56

This is one alumna of Idol that I could have done without. He shouldn't have won on season five and I don't like him any better now.

April 29, 2009 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Lisa

I thought Taylor sounded great tonight! His new album (The Distance) is full of awesome music!

And, he looked great, too!

April 29, 2009 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Florida Dude

Worst winner the show ever had...bar none

April 29, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  64. amy

Ugh. I can't stand that guy. He's the reason I haven't watched AI until this season.

April 29, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Heath

Bluegrass?? You though that was bluegrass?

April 29, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Bill

Ugh. That was terrible. I'd rather listen to Megan's rendition of 'Rockin' Robin' again...

April 29, 2009 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Eilleen

Nope...STILL don't like Taylor!

April 29, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |