April 21st, 2009

Top 7 Part Two: Starting it out

The show just started and the first lesson I have learned is not to ever again try to use my pup to demonstrate the dance known as “the robot.” He’s got sharp teeth, that one.

Ahhh, disco night. How I am both repelled and attracted by you.

On the one hand, I enjoy some of the songs (“Shame” by Evelyn “Champagne” King is my jam and I love the soundtrack to “Saturday Night Fever”) yet on the other there is a reason why the genre died and I, for one, do not mourn its demise.

Like with country night, the potential for disaster here is so acute that I am truly afraid for some of the “Idol” contestants. That’s the danger with some of these themes.

While we know that true talent should shine through, what does it really mean if you can’t sing a disco song well? The next “American Idol” no more has to worry about mastering disco than they do polka music.

Hmm, now there’s a theme the producers might want to consider next year.

More flames again in the intro, this time behind Ryan on stage. Is this some sort of subtle context that I am missing?

Ryan just said that Matt "lived to see another week." Well thank goodness for that.

Hold on tight, cause this is going to be something!

–Lisa Respers France, CNN.com

Filed under: American Idol judges • Ryan Seacrest

1. Patti

I totally agree with EH. Adam will probably win but I will never buy any of his songs. The guy is creepy!

April 22, 2009 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Deborah, San Diego, California

She was very good! I predict Allison and Adam to be in the finals....

April 22, 2009 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Denise Osborne

Lil has to be out this week. She really sucks. She doesn't have a strong voice. Throw in her snarky attitude and she has nothing to offer. I'm guessing Anoop will join her. I like him but it's his time. Adam is so good every single week. I haven't been really excited about a contestant before him.

April 22, 2009 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bobbie

I expect a surprise this evening regarding the bottom two.
    I hope Matt stays, very talented and entertaining each week as Adam and Kris are. Danny and Allison are getting stale with their performances.
    Lil and Anoop are boring to watch.

April 22, 2009 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nikkor

Bye Bye Lil and Anoop…..

Lil never listened to Simon about who is advising her and her choices. She has talent but seemed to be totally mis-guided on every level…..too bad ….she could a been a contender

Anoop….another talented person who can sing…it’s just time for him to go. Everyone left is better, thats all.

April 22, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Gene

Ahhhh Disco. My favorite night of the competition. But I was a bit disappointed because none of the singers made me want to get up and dance. It is surely fitting that the Disco Diva herself, Donna Summer, have special homage paid to her songs. However, "She Works Hard for the Money" and Hot Stuff were actually a little bit after the Disco Era. What happened to "Love to Love You Baby", "I Feel Love", and "Last Dance".

I am really concerned that the judges wasted their save on Matt. According to DIAL IDOL.COM, Allison could be in danger. And she is way more talented than Lil, Matt, or Anoop.

April 22, 2009 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. EH

I must be the only person in this country who doesn't like adam. He is a rocker and puts a rocker edge on everything he does. As for last night, I think he made a mess out of that song. He will probably win but I don't think he should.

April 22, 2009 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Suzie

Lil and Anoop are out and Adam WILL TAKE IT ALL!!!

April 22, 2009 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. George

Kudos to Idol for actually getting into it as fast as they did. Not much random gibberish from the judges at the start or lame background stories. They finally trimmed out a lot of the boring, DVR fast-forward moments that were what was making the show run long week after week. Cutting all that gibberish also allowed them to return to all 4 judges commenting on each contestant. Now if they would just put Simon and Paula on opposite ends of the judging table, they could shave off another 20 minutes!

April 22, 2009 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  10. ckav

Is it just me, or is the sound on the show really funky this year. It seems to me that a lot of the time, you can't really hear the contestants vocals, but the backup singers are coming though loud and clear. I wonder if it sounds like this live in the theater, or just on my TV? Anybody else hearing this?

April 22, 2009 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jeff

Lisa,

Ah, disco will never die!!! Just go to any dance club these days and you will hear a steady stream of disco. They just try and not call it disco because of negative vibes. The media has made disco not a cool thing.

I listen to new artists working with music producers all day long. As they say these days, "when the time is right". What I hear is the disco beat returning.

The reason I believe disco went away is because bigger clubs were built to accommodate more folks. The result was too many people attending clubs that refused to learn how to dance. All they wanted to do was move randomly. Things collapsed soon after. But, disco still lives!

Jeff

April 22, 2009 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. Debbie

I finally get the stupid themes. It's a test to see what each contestant can do to make a lame genre original and entertaining. Adam and Kris sure pulled it off.

April 22, 2009 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mac

It's most interesting that the people who understand disco the least dislike it the most.
    If you went to places like the disco in Thank God It's Friday, a la 1978, you heard the most boring, Top 40 disco possible. Thank God for the gay clubs, because we didn't have to bother with the tripe Ms. Respers clearly had to contend with (and I don't blame her: I went to straight clubs and they didn't know diddly about the killer disco. About the only things that crossed over in The Second Age of Disco were "Love Is In the Air" (heard in the movie Strictly Ballroom) or "I Love The Nighlife" by Alicia Bridges. I would assume Ms. Respers is a stranger to Carlis Munro's "Boogie Up, Rock Down...Ride a Funky Starship" or Gladys Knight's "Love is Always On Your Mind," Claudja Barry's "Sweet Dynamite" or, from the First Age of Disco, the classic, "Love's Theme" by the Love Unlimited Orchestra (Barry White's band).
    The only thing worse than having to listen to the bad music of that era (and it was all major labels trying to make a buck) is listening to someone whose understanding of "Stayin Alive" is that it's a party song. It WAS a song about just barely surviving. Until last night... Or someone whose version of "I'm Every Woman" (that was considered disco??? BY WHOM?!?!?! That was STONE r&b) sounds like she's no woman.
    Geez. Go murder somebody else's music. Like, say....the 80s!!!!!! Now, THERE'S a decade for ya.

April 21, 2009 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Stevoooooo

Disagree, I think it will be Danny or Kris in the final 2 with Adam of course. Kris blew me away tonight. I wasn't that hip on him at first, but he gets better every week and he is the real deal. Since Adam is sooo not straight (not that there's anything wrong with that-it just doesn't win the girls over as much) Kris surely has the young girl vote going for him. Allison just doesn't do it for me. The way she sings is cool, but just doesn't fit her age, plus I just can't see buying an album from her, not sure why.
    I loved Danny in the beginning, but he is getting a little stale, but he is still great, and do to the fact he probably still has the sympathy vote, he will be sure to make the final 3, if not the final 2, just depends whether he or Kris screws up first.
    Noop, this guy has got it going, just not good enough to make it another week, but maybe he will be lucky. Matt was ok, and Lil was less than ok. They should not have saved Matt last week because there was no way he would make it to the finals, so in my mind it was a waste.

April 21, 2009 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Garry

Again Lil underachieved in what should have been a good week for her. Kris surprised me with his performance, I not a big fan, but that was really good tonight. Danny was solid as usual, he has that soulful Michael Bolton vibe. Adam was again his perfect self. Allison did good in a week that I thought might give her trouble. Matt I think will stick around another week. Anoop was just OK.

my 2 cents

April 21, 2009 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Vishnu

I hoped they would singe that 'Night fever, night fever, gimmie that night fever' song that we so loved in Mumbai so so long ago. But it never happened – only chit chat about it on idolexpose...maybe next year!

April 21, 2009 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Wanda

Knoop and LIL are to go this week !!!!!!!!!!!!! Next week Matt.......next is Danny.......kris next...... allison runner up and Adam is the winner

April 21, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Judy

Hey, What about Allison ? The blog didn't post Allison's performance. She was very good. Can we have the summary please.

April 21, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  19. KMC

Ok, I think the people accepting awards at the Oscars or Grammies have more important things to say than the judges but they play the award winners of when they start to talk too long... why can't they do that with the judges??? i am so tired of Idol running long and missing things because FOX can't get their act together. I know all the responses will say to set my DVR to record an extra 5 minutes, but HELLOOOO – maybe I am wanting to record something else at that time ... I don't want to miss the beginning of my other show. If a show is scheduled to be 7 to 8 then it should be 7 to 8 not 7 to 8:03 or whatever.

April 21, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |