April 21st, 2009

Top 7 Part Two: Danny Gokey jams some of the elements

Most singers know that you just so do not mess with an Earth Wind & Fire song.

Danny Gokey

For that reason, I give Danny kudos for attempting "September." He brought some energy and he sang pretty well.

It's getting a little tiring watching the judges always, always giving him props no matter what he does. And Danny better watch out for Paula because I think she was getting her flirt on a little bit with him.

Overall, not a bad performance.

Filed under: American Idol judges • Paula Abdul

1. rjk

Danny is a phenomenal talent!! Soooh happy he's in the top 3 and pray for a win!! His life's experiences and emotions are delivered honestly in his song expression.....he's not pretending to feel what the song is about! His voice and song interpretations are a gift. VOTE DANNY GOKEY!!

-Adam is confident on stage because he's been on the theatre stage for years – his delivery is not that credible.

May 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Milwaukee Girl

IMO:
    Danny is a good singer, but he is getting very boring. He sings very similar songs week in/out. Do I think he could win? Sure, it's anybody's guess who will win. But I personally would not waste my $ on his album, sorry.

But my favorite is Adam!! He excites me every week!!!

(And I am from Milwaukee)

April 22, 2009 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LeAnn

The judges rave over everything he does? Surely you have him mistaken with ADAM! He's the one who can do no wrong (with the except of Ring Of Fire lol) in the eyes of the judges!

April 22, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeremy

@Barbara: What would you rather him do, stand up there frowning like Matt usually does?

I'll be honest, I've never bought an Idol album (not even from the big ones like Clarkson or Daughtry) and probably never will. The reason I watch this show is not to see who has potential star power. It's to get entertained by somewhat regular people from different backgrounds that can sing fairly well (like the Got Talent series, which is practically a singing competition anyways). A lot of Gokey's performances are forgettable, yes, but he's one of the more accomplished vocalists on the show at this point. He's got a good range and he sings in tune almost all of the time, love or hate his voice. The contention that you're considered a fake/jerk because you smile during the judge's comments is laughable as well. In general, if you sound good and look like you're having a good time on the show, then you're doing it right.

April 22, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Deb

O.K. Danny, I like you.....You have some Pizzazz for sure! Tough competition though...... I'm pretty sure you'll be sticking around for a while......Eagles....? Sting.......? Maybe Jazz it up a bit.......?

April 22, 2009 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Barbara

Gokey go home....your friend Jamar deserved to be there instead of you. I think we'll hear from Jamar again....Danny you will be history soon even if you win.

April 22, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Davey34

Gokey's beyond boring. No stage presense. Fake emotion like a robot. He's a goober and I agree 100% with dubya – 99 cent coaster "album" – funny!

April 22, 2009 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Michael Din, Los Angeles

Danny may have a great instrument, but, in my humble opinion, he's as bland as stale crackers. He's a snooze fest. It's as simple as that.

April 22, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Barbara

You're played out and getting a little boring to be honest. Yes you can sing, but give it a rest, you are not THE BOMB! Stop smiling and nodding as if you deserve to be there. Most of you do anyway! Good luck, but I think Adam & Kris may reign above you!

April 22, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. surrenda

Danny is the man! For those who think that he can’t sing. You must be drunk or under the influence of some kind of drug. What makes him wayyyy better then Adam is the fact that Danny hits all aspects of vocal range. All Adam can do is sound like a brokedown version of a young Axel Rose… Ahhhh, that’s all he does week in and week out… Danny gets my vote…

April 22, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. surrenda

Danny is the man! For those who think that he can't sing. You must be drunk or under the influence of some kind of drug. What makes him wayyyy better then Adam is the fact that Danny hits all aspects of vocal range. All Adam can do is sound like a brokedown version of a young Axel Rose... Ahhhh, that's all he does week in and week out... Danny gets my vote...

April 22, 2009 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dubya

Look for Gokey in the .99 cent bin...for the whole album. Makes for a good coaster too!

April 22, 2009 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Robyn

I agree Marie....Axel Rose indeed! It's so exhausting to listen to the sreeeeetching week after week! Danny is soulful and authentic and I can't WAIT until his first CD is released! Go Gokey!!

April 22, 2009 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Marie

ACV – You want to know who got a "pass". It was the blind kid. He was so awful that I can't even remember his name. Danny can sing. For those of you who are posting here about Adam – go away and post on his blog so I don't have to read it. Gag! Some one likened him to Axel Rose – I agree. I told my husband that last week. Uck!

Danny rules.

April 22, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Robyn

ACV....were you listening to the judges last night?? Simon was critical of Danny for the second week in a row, you must not be paying attention.

April 22, 2009 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Robyn

In my eyes Danny IS the next American Idol. He has incredible vocals, a raspy voice that is so wonderful to listen to. He can sing a beautiful ballad that brings tears to your eyes and the next minute sing an upbeat song that you can dance to (PYT, September (last night)). He is a wonderful person, a caring human being and has such a spirit about him it is infectious! All the people that say Danny "screams" must NOT be listening to Adam who screams/screetches every single song he sings....and talk about Judge favortism!! Adam can't do anything wrong in the judges eyes, they HAVE been critical of Danny and he's never said a nasty/negative word back to them. He's a down to earth, very talented singer and I don't find anything "boring" or "Taylor Hicks" about him at all. Go Danny......you will be in the finale!!

April 22, 2009 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sasha

OVERRATED! BORING! FORGETTABLE!

April 22, 2009 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Vivian, from Singapore

Didn't enjoy it.... He never touches my heart even though he might have a not bad voice...

April 22, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Char

Danny you should be in the top 2, you have the best voice!

April 22, 2009 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  20. Carol

boring, yawn yawn

April 22, 2009 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  21. Randy

Matt and Lil go home tonight.

Top two Danny and Adam.

April 22, 2009 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  22. Diana

My husband and I really enjoy watching you perform and sing! Your voice is unbelievable and so wonderful to listen to....

Best of luck and I feel you will be in the top 2

April 22, 2009 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  23. Allen

Danny...Danny...Danny... Man what is with him...each week I like him less and less... come on bring it on or Kris will pass you up! Or has he done that already?

April 22, 2009 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  24. Joe

This CLOWN is NOT the next American Idol. Off the show as of tonight!

April 22, 2009 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  25. Val

BORING!

April 22, 2009 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  26. ACV

Interesting......When trying out, Danny was often in tears over the death of his wife. Now he always seems happy, smiley, having a blast. The judges are never critical of him. Did he qualify on a "pass" due to his wife's death? At best, IMO, he could sing cruise ship lounges.

April 22, 2009 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  27. Lee

Comment revision.
    Danny will stay and not be in bottom 3, but in my opinion he did not perform as well as Lil this week. He will stay because he has had more good weeks than Lil and judges like him. Matt also outperformed Danny and Lil, so the bottom 3 should be Danny, Lil and Anoop with Danny and Anoop going home. That said, Lil and Anoop are still my choices for going home this week.

April 22, 2009 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  28. Brad

Maybe Danny is spending too much time at the Cheesecake Factory (per video of him talking to a fan and telling her he would meet her there) , meeting up with Rachael Lampa, etc. and not enough time working on his music. You get the idea of what I am trying to say. I don't know how he has the time to be bored and go out and buy a guitar. Ryan seemed surprised by that comment from Danny. I would think he would have to spend most of his time working on the song for the next week if he wanted to have a really good performance. I think he is worrying more about meeting up with fans, etc., having a good time, and not enough about the music. I agree, he does seem to be acting more cocky each week. I really believe we have already seen Danny's best and there's not going to be much more growth with him. His voice seems to be getting weaker (some of the notes and words seemed a little weak). He may have strained his vocal cords early on (I don't know), but he's not as strong as he was in the beginning.

April 22, 2009 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  29. Joan

Danny's performances are getting so routine and boring that I use the time to get something to drink. He's sounding more and more like a singer that plays the small stages in Vegas. There's nothing in his voice that is unique.

I would buy CD's and attend concerts by Adam, Kris, and Allison....but as far as Danny, I'd save my money.

April 22, 2009 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  30. Lee

Danny was average at best, but judges still fell all over him. Not sure why unless it is the sad story about his wife. He should not be gone this week, but not good enough for top 3. Lil and Anoop are gone this week. Matt or Danny next week. Top 3 are Adam, Kris, and Allison in that order. Adam likely to win it all, but could be Kris or Allison. I think top 3 will all have good careers in music. Don't think Danny has a career in music but might entertain at weddings and karoke nights at the local bar.

April 22, 2009 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  31. idolgirl

whoever writes this blog is a complete retard. The judges always give Danny good reviews because he is a good singer. His story has nothing to do with his voice. Get over it! As for Adam, if he is as good as everyone says and has so much experience why hasnt he made it on his own? All he does is skreech the song...

April 22, 2009 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  32. Deb

I have to agree with a lot of the negative comments about Danny above. His performances seemed so strong at the beginning of the season, but they are becoming more boring each week. It looks like he puts no thought or time into what he should sing or maybe how to change it up a little to make it his own style.

I also agree with above comments that Danny does seem to be acting more cocky and arrogant each week and seems to think he is all of it, and that is putting me off. The acts like he's got this thing wrapped up. He must know something we don't. The thing I liked about Danny early on was that he seemed to be so sweet and humble, but he doesn't come across that way anymore. I am starting to see the other contestants outperforming Danny now. I used to root for Danny, but now I'm not so sure that Danny is what I thought he was early on.

I did think Adam's performance last night was very, very good, and I'm not a big Adam fan, but he has had several performances that I have loved.

April 22, 2009 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  33. Jane

It seems like the majority of people feel the same way about Danny, that he is boring, so I am like some others in asking why do the judges fall all over him? Last week was the first week any of them said anything negative to him (Simon) aside from one comment about his white jacket a few weeks back (also Simon). I just don't get it, they have been all over Lil for weeks for the same thing I think Danny is guilty of, nothing original and boring. I hope he goes.

April 22, 2009 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  34. Yoli

Trish

I see that you are on your favorite tonight. So stay away from Lil Rounds.

April 22, 2009 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  35. Amy

I liked Danny in his audition & for the few weeks after that. I honestly thought he may win. But the further along this competition moves, I really cannot stand to listen to his performances anymore. They're always the same & the judges never give any other feedback other than how amazing he is. That's always a good time for me to get up and grab a snack during Idol... lol.

April 22, 2009 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  36. Dee

I love you Danny. You remind me of Elliott Yamin somewhat. He is going strong out there too. You dont have to be Idol to go somewhere. Look at Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson.

April 22, 2009 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  37. Stacie

I've said it before, I love, love, love Danny! So what if he doesn't change every song? So what if he can't dance? Do you see James Taylor, Jimmy Buffet, or the like dancing on the stage? No! When you have a great voice (and very distinguishable) you can rely on your voice to gather the crowds! I picked Danny out from the auditions – as I did Chris Daughtry. There is something about his voice that just makes me love him! And yes, I still love Chris Daughtry!

April 22, 2009 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  38. Ro

its time for Danny to go. The more I see him sing every week, the more I am convinced that he can't sing at all. Once again his voice is not impressive. All that straining and singing out his nose that he did last night on the song "September" lets me futher know that he does not belong at AI. I do understand that he has a lot of fans out there and I know that he will be around for 1 or 2 more weeks, however he is not a AI winner.

April 22, 2009 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  39. tangyt

Danny was great. Much better than Adam anyday. Bottom two wil be Lil and Matt.

April 22, 2009 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  40. Dubya

Danny = Taylor Hicks. My friend is getting married next month, I should recommend Danny.

Everyone except Allison seems amateurish after Adam performs.

April 22, 2009 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  41. catlady

I think Danny is way overrated. Kris and Adam are so much better. It appears that the judges have predetermined who they want to win and no matter what the contestants do they either love them every week or rip em.

April 22, 2009 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  42. Sarah

Danny is the type of singer I would expect to find at a corporate event. Very karoake.

April 22, 2009 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  43. D

Danny can sing but has no originality in the arrangements. Don't know why the judges rave about him other than he is a nice guy

April 22, 2009 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  44. Joe

Danny needs to go, NOW! And don't EVER try to sing Earth, Wind, and Fire again! That was a terrible attempt. Seems like a wannabe Idol to me. Goodbye, Danny. Nice effort, but the competition is much better than you!

April 22, 2009 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  45. YEC

Vegas Lounge Lizard indeed. This song is near and dear to me, and when they announced he ws going to sing it, I almost cried because I knew it would suck. And it did. And then he sang parts that didn't even sound like the song, and it became so "original" that it was a completely different song, and he really needs to go home. Just for messing with EWF. Dude, that was just wrong.

April 22, 2009 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  46. barbara

Danny, awesome. He definitely deserves to win this years American Idol. Adam brought tears to my eyes too, please shut up with your screaming like a cat. We do not need the screaming freak to win. Danny's voice is so smooth and very very great to listern to. Danny all the way. Great.

April 22, 2009 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  47. Diggity Dave

That's HILARIOUS. You're getting sick of the judges praising Danny for anything? WOW! Can you say 'Adam Lambert'? That kid could wear his underwear outside his pants, use a kazoo to do "Candle In The Wind", and the judges would gush him with praise.

Give me a break. Danny kept the original arrangement and jazzed it up with different melodies. I really don't care who wins at this point, because winning doesn't guarantee anything. I think most of these kids have a career waiting in the wings.

April 22, 2009 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  48. David

What is it with this guy. I can not even bear to watch him. He is horrible and still in the running...he needs to go tonight!

April 22, 2009 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  49. deni

I liked Danny in the beginning. The rough sound to his voice I like but I do not like when he tries to hit the high notes. I'ld still like to see him win because I think with the right songs he has a sexy voice. I do not like Adam at all. That screech he makes does sound like he's stepping on a cat's tail or something.

April 22, 2009 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  50. Carolyn

I agree with you Lori from Mo. Danny is the same each week and there is no variation in his voice. I for one would not rush out to buy his CD. His smirk is getting cockier and really is a turn off.

April 22, 2009 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  51. Tina

I think Danny is even bored! He should go...

April 22, 2009 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  52. Surfgirl

Kara is tone deaf. Dany was singing off key in many places.

April 22, 2009 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  53. Trish

You know what? I don't care what Danny sings. I LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is so adorable. He looks like Robert Downy Junior (who I also love). His voice is SEXY. I would date him any day (only if he likes older women LOL). Man, what a HUNK!

April 22, 2009 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  54. Ciara

OMG, I just LOVE LOVE LOVE Danny Gokey and the judges are right to praise him cuz he's got smokin' hot vocals. True, he's not a polished showman like Adam who's had years and years of experience on stage, but he's MAJORLY talented and so damn sweet!

Time for Anoop, Matt, Lil and Allison to go on HOME! Danny, Adam and Kris in top 3!

April 22, 2009 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  55. Terence D

Dude's got it going on! Gokey in the finals!

April 21, 2009 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  56. John

Please for the love of God, put the GO in Gokey! As in, GO HOME! This man is screechy and I understand why the judges love him so much!

April 21, 2009 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  57. A. G. Butler

I have loved Danny since the auditions. He has a great, soulful voice and can sing anything. He is what an American Idol should be. I do like Adam and Allison very much. Danny, Adam and Allison are all original. But, my heart is set on Danny. He is awesome!!! Go Danny !!!!!

April 21, 2009 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Allie B

It ticks me off that Paula stills "sees" him in the finals. Whaaatttttt? At the expense of who? Allison? Kris? No way – his performances from week to week are average or above average – certainly not particulary memorable or standout. If Danny hadn't been shamelessly pimped by Idol producers and the judges from the early days on the basis of his "backstory" I don't think he would be a serious contender for the final. I agree with the others who say that all his stuff sounds the same and he lacks real star power. IMO, he's a bit of a bore with a little smarminess thrown in for good measure. He has a decent voice but that's not enough to win.

April 21, 2009 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Tiffany

Gokey schmokey....he has talent, but I am not seeing the "WOW" factor....he needs to step up his game if he is going to attempt to stay alive. I don't think his performance was anything to write about

April 21, 2009 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Ben Lee

Rich and Powerful voice, technically superior, great performance, great arrangement, great song choice, flawless execution...so what else is new? Where was he in Seasons 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6? He would have been a clear winner in any of those seasons!

April 21, 2009 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Gary

What is up with the judges and Danny. It appears that Danny cannot do any wrong in their eyes. Danny's performance was not that great. He seemed to be shouting throughout the entire song. It seems that no matter how well Allison, Matt or Anoop perform,they will never be better than Danny in the judges eyes. There is a definite bias there!

April 21, 2009 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  62. liloleme

I just have to say it's funny when people say Danny screeches when he sings yet when Adam sings "he's so awesome".....hypocrisy much? Hope Danny kicks Adam's booty!!!

April 21, 2009 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Jack in TampaBay

likable guy ... strong voice .... but every week he sounds the same. Maybe 2 more weeks b4 he heads home.

April 21, 2009 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Nay

I really like Danny, but he is starting to get dull to me. Great vocals, but performance lacks.

April 21, 2009 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Terri W

I think he's kind of cocky and a little expectant. It was okay – I just don't think he is as great as he was in the beginning....

April 21, 2009 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  66. jadad

Getting irritated by his voice. I was a fan at first before he made top 12, but now his voice sounds like nails scratching a chalkboard to me.

April 21, 2009 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Allison

I don't get it, because the last few performances from Danny were maybe mediocre but still good...but this one was RIGHT ON. Seriously, Danny has an amazing voice and I'm voting for him!

But I really don't want any of them to leave 🙁

April 21, 2009 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Janers

From one Wisconsinite to another–go Danny! You are consistently awesome!

April 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Samantha

I just don't get what people are drooling over here. He has a solid voice, but all the current contestants do. There was nothing special about the performance and I think the majority of tonight's performers were far better than him.

I thought for sure Simon would come through for me tonight and say Gokey's performance wasn't all that good, but that didn't happen. I don't think he deserves to go home this week, but he absolutely should not be in the finals (as Paula consistently predicts).

April 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Windy

One more thing about Danny's perfomance tonight. He looked like an Adam wannabe and failed miserably! I don't see what the judges or America sees in him.

April 21, 2009 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  71. patty

I definitely see the Michael McDonald in him...sexy voice and great
    pitch. That may also be why people have mixed feelings. You
    either love Mike or hate him. I love him. Go Danny.

April 21, 2009 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  72. RobertnTexas

I truly do not see what the judges see in him.
    He doesn't have a star quality stage presence and he can't dance. The song was boring.

April 21, 2009 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Windy

I've been reading this blog for a few weeks now and decided to put my two cents in. I don't see what anyone sees in Danny. Yes, he can sing, but is he that great? There is nothing about his voice that stands out. If I close my eyes I would not know who was singing. The same goes for all the rest EXCEPT Adam and Allison. I would know their voices anywhere. And isn't that what makes them special? Think of your favorite singers through the years. When your favorite singer releases a new song and you hear it on the radio for the first time, you know who is singing. I can't see that with Danny at all. He sounds like too many others already out there.

Also, the boy cannot move. He is awkward on stage and I cannot see going to a concert to see him. And those glasses!! Enough said on that subject.

Adam has the moves, the looks and most of all the voice. He is the whole package. He is so far ahead of the others, they could not even dream to catch up to him. If America is smart, Allison will be 2nd.

April 21, 2009 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  74. pam harding

Danny rocks!He brings it every week and deserves to win.If Adam wins-God forbid-Danny will and should go on like Chris Daughtry.Love Gokey!

April 21, 2009 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  75. St

DANNY – Can someone please kick him out of the show? Syrup is what is being poured on this screeechy brakes. He can barely sing, Anoop on the other hand has the best voice but no personailty, no song choice to go with it. I would vote for better song/vocals than vote for screechy brakes that might RIP anymoment.

April 21, 2009 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Josh

Danny Is going to win. And I think we will keep hearing from him!!!

April 21, 2009 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  77. eb

Gokey is still my choice. His voice reminded me of Michael MacDonald.

Adam is a natural. Still looks like a rocker.

Allison is awesome. What a voice.

Chris is so-so.

Matt has soul.

Anoop is a square peg trying to fit a round hole.

Lil needs to go.

April 21, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  78. hotel costaplente

Danny is funky! or Funkay!

April 21, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  79. kelly

Danny, my 70 year old dad called tonight because he wanted to watch AI for the first time because he had heard that there was a great singer from Milwaukee. He LOVED you, allison and adam. Good luck. you three are very talented!!

April 21, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Happy in Arizona

Very likable, strong voice. I hope he wins.

April 21, 2009 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  81. C. Elliott in VA

My prediction – if Danny wins – he will end up just like Taylor & Ruben – uhmmm – Where are they now?????

April 21, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  82. bearhater

love him

April 21, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Lori from MO

Everything sounds the same from him and while he's an amazing vocalist, not such a great performer. His artistry is lacking but that could come in time. Is it just me or is he getting cocky? His smirk is bugging me.

April 21, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Ror

The boy can whale, that's for sure. Reminds me of Michael McDonald.

April 21, 2009 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  85. marc

Boring and forgetable...Kareoke at best!

April 21, 2009 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  86. hotel costaplente

my ears must be off because I love danny and adam sounds like fighting cats to me! a cat being castrated on tv..yuck

April 21, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  87. RWP1019

Robin you're right. Just not a fan. Although...he was good tonight.

April 21, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Karen

Gokey maxed out on his talent a few weeks ago and has brought nothing more since. Time for him to go.

April 21, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  89. ram

This dude cannot dance!!! He's gotta pretty good voice, but i think his performances are very predictable every week

April 21, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Lin

Adam Lambert is amazing! And the guy has so much class – he never fails to give credit or thanks when it's due. Loved this performance!!
    Gokey was awful!

April 21, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  91. James

Like I said last week: Danny Gokey is a robot. A robot with really colorful glasses.

April 21, 2009 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  92. morgan

I do not understand why the judges fawn all over Danny Gokey week after week. Would I ever buy his album? No way. He's another Taylor Hicks. And Adam Lambert. I don't get it. He screeches half of his performances and I don't see any sincerity at all from him.

April 21, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Brandon

Adam is a great singer, but I know he will make it whether he wins this thing or not. That is why my votes each week go to Danny! I think he really needs this win on American Idol!

April 21, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Tripper

That was sooo boring. He's a good singer but completely lacking in charisma.

April 21, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Robin

The Adam Lambert thing: vocally, no one can touch him. Ignore the music, the lyrics and the arrangements and just listen to the tone in his voice. His tone is fantastic and his range unbelievable. No doubt he is going to win and he deserves it. And no, I am not a die hard Adam voter, Kris gets my votes...

April 21, 2009 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  96. AI Watcher

Danny's stepping during the performance makes me think of a puppet without strings. His performance and rendition of the song were okay, but I would not pay money for a copy of it.

April 21, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  97. JT

Props indeed. Simon disses him every week. I'd rethink that.

April 21, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Chuck

Not a Danny fan

April 21, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Dave

Good performance, not the best toned voice in the competition

April 21, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  100. kr

boring

April 21, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Paul

It was decent but not great. Sorry, Danny but I put Adam, Alison & Kris in the top 3.

April 21, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Angela

He always looks and sounds the same every week. I think his CD would be very boring. Give me Adam!

April 21, 2009 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Faye

I enjoyed Danny's performance it was good to see an uptempo performance doing disco week.

April 21, 2009 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Brandon

Another Great Performance! My choice for winner of this season! Not because of his story, but because of his singing voice!

April 21, 2009 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  105. RWP1019

can someone PLEASE explain the Adam Lambert thing? I don't get it. He screams and screaches. He belongs in musical theater. I just don't see the appeal as a recording artist.

April 21, 2009 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Bob

Cy, couldn't agree more. There does seem to be some magic missing in Danny's performances of late. Here's hoping he can get his mojo back cause he's in the home stretch baby!

April 21, 2009 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  107. jim

I thought it was better than the original. Great job.

April 21, 2009 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  108. 007

bottom 2

April 21, 2009 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Whut

Dude hurts my ears. He could puke on the judges and they would say it was"hot" and blah blah blah. I just mute the sound when he's singing.

April 21, 2009 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Louisville Dude

Damn, another good one!

April 21, 2009 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Cy

It wasn't PYT, but it was PDC: Pretty Darn Close. But there's some kind of magic missing that he had in early performances. Maybe it's Simon's "star power" or whatev... I don't know.

April 21, 2009 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Gkygrl

I don't know. I like Danny ... but not as good as some of the others thus far.

April 21, 2009 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Bob S

Danny Gokey has resurrected the Vegas Lounge Lizard. Another screechy performance. Boring Boring Boring

April 21, 2009 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |