April 16th, 2009

Watching ‘The Cougar’ in stilettos and a Snuggie

It's Wednesday night, and I have already had my fix of reality television.

Cougar

"America’s Next Top Model": check.

Yes I’m 5’2” but in my mind I’m six-feet tall, leggy and a top model, of course.

"American Idol": check.

Did I mention that I see myself as this amazing performer in karaoke competitions with family and friends, totally Idol worthy!

What I eagerly anticipated this Wednesday was the debut of "The Cougar."

After all, I am approaching the 40-year mark in June so what better way to ease into this new milestone than to see what I’m in for?

So, I settle in with my best cougar-like ware: stilettos and a Snuggie.

The show opens with host Vivica A. Fox, a self proclaimed Cougar who promises the show’s goal is to open our eyes to the "cultural phenomenon that’s changing the entire dating scene." Watch Fox talk about the show on CNN's dotcom LIVE

Really, I prepare to be educated.

The premise of the show is this: We have Stacey Anderson, a 40-year-old commercial real estate agent. She is divorced with four kids. She is single and ready to mingle. She is the ultimate catch but is seeking a younger mate who, like "The Bachelorette," she can marry and live happily ever after ... until the next season.

When Stacey is asked what attracts her to a younger guy she declares it’s their passion, zest for life, spontaneity and their sexual prowess. Just hearing that list has me tired already, but this is my destiny as a 40 year old so I don’t fight it.

But, back to the show … Vivica introduces Stacey to "the boys" after informing "the boys" that Vivica will not be the cougar. There are slight moans of disappointment.

The men, all under the age of 30, will go through a series of challenges in order to win Stacey’s affection and return for the next episode. The show's premise is very much like "The Bachelor."

If Stacey keeps you, then you are rewarded with a kiss. If not, then as this poor guy goes in for the kiss, she turns her cheek toward you. The first couple of times it was a bit unnerving to watch. I keep wondering if they would give her a Carmex break with all the kisses.

My question to the masses: Is this show meant to empower women or make us feel just a wee bit icky? I haven’t decided yet.

Is Stacey more for the Stiffler's Mom crowd (if you don’t realize this is a reference from the movie "American Pie" then you are not a potential cougar) or is she truly just an older woman in search of her Ashton?

Well, we have 8 weeks to decide.

In the meantime, I’m taking these stilettos off because even though they look good they still hurt.

I'm curling up with my Snuggie with dreams of what the Cougar will do next.

I can't wait.

“The Cougar” airs on Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on TV Land.

- Audrey Irvine, CNN producer

Filed under: Uncategorized

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Cougar drilling solutions

Estas mujeres maduras diseñan sus propias maquinaciones y preparan cada acción en silencio. Saben que deberán poner a punto sus mejores armas para atrapar a hombres jóvenes para que no se dén a la fuga. Ya sabemos que mujeres maduras mayores de 40 saben hasta dónde llegar y tienen claros sus objetivos y cómo conseguirlos.

Cuando localizan la ansiada presa, apolos deseables, van en su búsqueda. Las maduras, mujeres de 40 y más, prefieren hombres jóvenes bastante menores a ellas, mostrarán sus garras sin dudarlo apenas marquen al cervatillo, animal esbelto y con gracia que atrae a esta mujer madura con ganas y deseos de engullirlo sin el más mínimo esfuerzo en masticarlo. Pero lo saboreará y disfrutará para lograr su fin. Complacida por su caza, descansará luego a la sombra de algún árbol relamiéndose.
    Mujeres Maduras

January 18, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Phototransistor

somehow there is mind power in everyone of us, we just need to develop it ;;`

December 14, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Locket Necklace :

i also believe in mind power and that there are still some hindden stuffs on our brain that is very powerful`.,

October 24, 2010 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  4. Christian Lee

mind power somehow exists in one way or another"*.

September 12, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Oscar Turner

i always thought that there is some sort of built in mind power in everyone of us.'`~

July 26, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. Leon Murray

i never doubt that mind power can also increase the healing ability of the body..`.

June 22, 2010 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  7. meagan

I am single at 46 and have no earthly desire to date anyone under the age of 30. That is just gross. Now bring on the 30 somethings!

April 21, 2009 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dee

Wow Audrey Irvine, CNN producer – aren't you embarrassed by ending this article with 'can't wait to see what the Cougar will do next.'

What a shame that your assignment was to watch this type of television and review it.

April 21, 2009 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Drew

I have an idea for a new show that is as degrading to woman as this show is!!! How about "America's Next Top Pole Dancer!!" Coming to you live next year on the Fox network. America you get to vote the next skank off the pole!!!!

April 19, 2009 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  10. michael

I concur with Tom – covering crap like this, and trying to infuse it with (lame) humor and pop culture references (Snuggie and stiletto's, really?) belittles this blog and CNN's credibility.

April 18, 2009 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mark

So let's see.. a woman dating a man younger than her son is called a cougar. And a man dating a woman younger than his daughter is called a letch. And this TV show glorifies this new cougardom. Hmmm. Looks like women are the new men. Women of my generation said they wanted equality, I never imagined it would look like this. So this is how feminism turned out. Oh well...

April 17, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. Marie

Is television that lacking for creative talent and interesting stories? What's next? The trials and tribulations of someone with a irritable bowel syndrom? Perhaps they can be filmed while on the toilet. What kind of garbage is this Cougar stuff anyway? The word itself is so demeaning to women over 40 – do we give men in this age bracket an animal type name when they date younger women? In fact I can't think of anything more yawn-inspiring then this latest reality show.

April 17, 2009 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. MarkD

So this is what I'm missing? 200 channels and the only things worth watching are sports, the odd movie, and the home improvement shows. The library is free, and you'd be hard pressed to find a book as worthless as this drivel.

I'd boycott the sponsors if I could be bothered to find out who they are.

April 17, 2009 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ismael Garza

'40' is considered the age of an 'older' woman or a 'cougar'? Give me a break! For all of you women out there over 40, still vibrant and ready for love, I am sorry for this industry's slap in the face.

April 17, 2009 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  15. Joe Cattman

Everyone seems to hate this show.
    But the reason they work is that they
    speak to something real in people.

I know a lot of women who have had
    a couple of kids and have shared custody
    with their former partners who are in that
    strange purgatory. They would watch
    this show because the titular Cougar
    is their stand-in, their proxy. They want
    to experience, even in a Fake Reality what
    it's like for all these young vibrant men
    to literally jump through hoops to impress
    them, to vy for their attention. Sure, it's
    not real, but I suspect that real reality makes
    itself known a little too often, a little too
    rudely. So much of the world is Male
    Projected Fantasy. Even if this isn't your
    fantasy, can you take a moment to accept
    that it just might be someone elses'?

April 17, 2009 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  16. Effect

AD has it ABSOLUTELY correct. I have worked in the "industry" or almost 20 years now, and waaay back in the '90's A colleague and I discussed how reality tv was the future, not because people liked it, but because you can cut out set designers, costumers, lighting, and the huge insurance costs etc,

April 17, 2009 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  17. Pete

They should tax insipid tv programs like this just as they do with tobacco and alcohol. These people and the show creators are total losers-albeit probably wealthy ones too !!!

April 16, 2009 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Frankie Machine

As a young man trying to keep a positive self-image these days, I am offended by the message this show sends.
    It tells young men, many of whom struggle with self-esteem issues, that all they are good for is to be a sex toy for some wealthy old lady, who wants to buy their affection. Will the people who turn into this show to watch the "hot young men" realize that they are human beings, with thoughts and feelings?
    We as a society need to start valuing our young men, and tell them they should strive to be more than the love slave of a wealthy old lady. Shows like this also tell young women that if they get wealthy enough, they can have their pick of young men. This leads to many younger women objectifying and dehumanizing their male peers. No wonder women outnumber men in college these days: the message has been sent that young men need only wait to get picked as the paramour of a wealthy old lady. They deserve better.
    For the sake our young men, we need to put an end to shows like "The Cougar," and start telling our sons and brothers that they are special, and they are beautiful, and that they can find true love.

April 16, 2009 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Anne

And, on a personal level, I am sick and tired and bored of these "reality" shows that show no real talent, no real writing ability. Shows so far detached from reality, I don't even watch the major networks anymore...the BIG 3...that aren't anymore. And while I have appreciated this channel in the past, this is atrocious in content, acting and writing ability and interest in viewing...AT ALL!

April 16, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  20. JMZ

So we have this crap, but terminator, and dead like me and a myriad of other awsome shows are cancelled...eeeesssshhh!

April 16, 2009 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Michelle

It's almost like I wrote this article myself ... well except for the part about her approaching 40 (I'm 46) and the part of how she can't wait to see the next episode (I think I'll skip it). To quote the author of this article, the show made me feel a "bit icky," what little I saw of it. I was surprised (and grossed out) that the guys are all way too young and I don't get the point of this woman wanting to date them (a few of them are bartenders and/or unemployed) - SERIOUSLY she's got 4 children (didn't know that til I read the article) and tell me WHAT under 30 guy wants instant family with 4 kids!?!?!?! Most of the guys I date have trouble with my 2 cats - imagine if I had 4 kids!!!!

April 16, 2009 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. When Will Reality TV Run Its Course?

Will we ever see the end of it or is it just here to stay?

It's sad, because reality TV really dumbs us down, even more, as a society.

April 16, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  23. AD

The problem is not a lack of talented writers in the US, it is that entertainment industry execs do not want to pay them. Why pay actors and writers when people seem just as happy to watch a bunch of wannabes perform for free (or near free) to get thier 15 minutes of fame. I for one have simply stopped watching TV (except for South Park, it is the only thing good on). This will only get worse. In 20 years there will be 5000 reality shows and they will all suck. In the meantime, gaming and other forms of entertainment will take over. The days of good TV are behind us.

April 16, 2009 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Bob

Just another "staged reality" program, or "life in the ficticious lane".
    All we can hope for is that it gets canceled quickly.

April 16, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  25. soosie

The Cougar Slut would be a better title. She's not very bright.

April 16, 2009 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  26. tom

Please take the upper road and stop glorifying these awful shows. When you cover articles and stories like these it makes your website look amateur and unintelligent.

April 16, 2009 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  27. Janice

I think we're going to find that the cougar becomes disinterested in these "boys" after a few dates, when their immaturity and inexperience start to shine through...They should have found men in their mid 30's to late 40's, who are still full of life, but also wiser and more mature mentally – Think Mark Zuckerberg or Louis Kestenbaum. I'm very curious to see how this all pans out, though I'll be shocked if she actually finds her "younger mate" to be worthy.

April 16, 2009 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  28. Voig Nederlander

What was the pitch for this? More importantly, who is the brain-dead programming director who bought it? I ask because I can whip up stupid ideas like this a dozen at a time, and would love to make a zillion dollars for doing so. Here's one: a reality dating show where the participants compete for the affections of a Capuchin Monkey. Each show, the monkey chooses the people who stay by not flinging poo at them.

April 16, 2009 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  29. tony the tiger

might i add she looks much better on the show than in the magazine and internet advertisements

this is one cub that cougar can take back to the den!

April 16, 2009 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  30. tony the tiger

In the preview the cougar tells one of the contestants that she has a son that is older than him.

But if she is only 40 and the contestants are in their twenties doesn't that mean she had a baby before she was 18?

April 16, 2009 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  31. Mary Holeman

Stupid and disgusting – just like most of "reality" TV.

April 16, 2009 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  32. duckey

reality T.V. is for folks w/out a life. don't watch a cougar....go be one. kinda like going to a strip club....who wants to watch if you can't touch

April 16, 2009 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  33. Tara

This show is so offensive on so many levels, but especially to those of us who are in real, meaningful, committed relationships with younger men. To dismiss me as a 'cougar' is insulting to both myself and my boyfriend of nearly 4 years. All my friends and I are boycotting this show.

April 16, 2009 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  34. duckey

reality T.V. is for folks w/out a life. don't watch a cougar....go be one. kinda like going to a strip club....who wants to like if you can't touch

April 16, 2009 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  35. Tom

Has the entertainment industry given up on fiding talented writers who rpoduce scripts with a story to entertain? I guess I can't blame them since America is letting it's mind power drop into the toilet.......hopefully someday we will return to the craft as it was intended......Hollywood and America, when you are ready to provide entertainment that stimulates the mind and the creative nodes in our brains....give me a call....don't know I could produce a Love Story, Gone with the Wind, Ond Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest or something of that intellectual genre', but we need to try!!!!!!

April 16, 2009 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |