April 15th, 2009

Top 7: What a group of maniacs

The chairs on stage look so lonely these days as the number continues to shrink.

I don't think I have ever heard a worse rendition of "Maniac." It was all over the place!

Is there anyone who really enjoys these group performances?

If the producers want to save some time and keep the show on schedule, perhaps they may want to consider cutting the group performances, which just feel like previews of the tour to me.

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Deb

I have to agree on this one about the "group" presentations..... OuCH! I think part of it is the selection of the song.....Pretty dumb really......So often it is irrelavent to the age of most of the contestants, and having them perform in a way the appears extremely HOKEY.....just saying.......They should try to help the constestants not look so out of character......Perhaps shorten it up a bit as well.... I like the show and enjoy watching the competition. Wish it was around when I was their age.....Never mind now......I like gardening better....:)

April 16, 2009 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kelli

I just groaned when they said "Maniac" Of all the movie songs to choose, they choose that?

April 16, 2009 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mary Lou

Caroline – how is Adam "a fake"?

I thought this group performance was good. Most of them are tedious. So much of the show is filler and ads. That's why DVRs were made. And Miley Cyrus? would someone please give her some sudafed and honestly tell her, honey, you may be an actress (I don't know), but you sure can't sing, stuffed up or not.

April 16, 2009 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. molly shepherd

Actually, this wastes a lot of time. So do the "guest" performers. So does Ryan and his incessant chatter....
    There are a lot of ways to save time on this show without recucing the input of the judges by 50%

April 16, 2009 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. Idol Watcher

I never watch the group performances, thanks to my DVR. They are the epitome of silly and selling commercials. Since so many of us DVR or Tivo the show , we all fast forward, so now we are rammed with Coke cups for the judges and car commercials to suffer through. We are not this dumb folks, and for me, I now buy Pepsi.

April 16, 2009 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  6. Caroline

"I always feel badly for Adam in the group numbers, since he’s worked with professional dancers and singers in the theatre world. "

Except he's such a fake, it's really no big deal.

April 16, 2009 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. Louisiana Man

For the first time, tonight, I loved the group song ... and most of you guys didn't like it?

The group songs are early preparation for the tour? Perhaps that's their main purpose?

'

April 16, 2009 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  8. Rob

the only group performance i've liked so far was Don't Stop Believin' a couple of weeks ago

April 15, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CDH

I totally agree the best way to save time on American Idol is to stop the group performances. I can't stand any of them. And, I always fast forward thru the group performances to get to the meat of the show.
    Hear That American Idol!!! Cut the group performances!!!

April 15, 2009 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. cmadshep

I can't beleive Lil Rounds is still on the show, she has been weak for three weeks in a row.

April 15, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sam

Actually I thought the group performance wasn't too bad this week. Certainly much better than last week's.

April 15, 2009 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Claire

Watch some Season 2 group performances to see how it's done. Back then, they actually taught contestants how to sing harmony. Now, everyone is trying to be a lead singer.

April 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Maria

I can't believe that they made Adam Lambert sing that song! The group songs are usually boring.

April 15, 2009 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. cvc

To save time I say next season get rid of the 4th judge. She adds nothing to the show whatsoever!

April 15, 2009 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. 007

I agree, at this point the show really doesn't need those fillers.

April 15, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Karla

At least now they are actually singing live!

April 15, 2009 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  17. SDTim

I hate the group numbers! They are really BAD previews of the tour to come. I always feel badly for Adam in the group numbers, since he's worked with professional dancers and singers in the theatre world. He always looks slightly embarrased by the cheesy choreography and bad singing. At least they're doing it live now? (I won't see it for another 3 hours)

April 15, 2009 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |