April 14th, 2009

Top 7: Matt Giraud shows some love

Matt liked working with Quentin, and that Justin Timberlake hat was back during rehearsal.

Matt Giraud

Quentin is killing me with his direction. "Do the gravelly thing?" Seriously?!?!?

Bryan Adams is getting loads of love tonight, and Matt sings "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman" from the movie "Don Juan DeMarco." Perhaps Scott has ruined the whole piano performance for me this season cause I was B-O-R-E-D.

Matt has a great voice, and I wish he would wow me again.

Filed under: Uncategorized

« Previous entry
  1. ORyan from 98.5 KISS FM Peoria

I will be sad to see Anoop go! Him, danny, and Adam have the best vocals hands down! Sorry, but miss red head is not as good as she is being made out to be! They just want to keep a girl around it seems. She really isnt that good! I could see lil rounds go tonight! She is great, just hasnt found her place yet.

April 15, 2009 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. debra ploch

I think Matt is an incredible talent. I loved the song last night, might not have been his best, but he is still a wonderful performer. He moves me more than any other contestent and I don't think he should be voted off. Yes, Adam is a stage performer and totally gets it, but Matt is a true artist with a lot of talent. I love this guy! His parents should be proud!

April 15, 2009 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sherry

B O R I N G

April 15, 2009 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chloe

What a mix of comments. No one really blew me away last night. My favorite radio station replayed Allison's performance from last night, and it was really bad. I liked it last night, but this morning, ewwww. You can tell Adam just loves the stage, and he has been very consistent.

Lil was really bad last night, and Anoop still has the attitude and Gokey has got many sympathy votes still. He is good, but just sounds like everyone else you hear on the radio.

And the two judge critiques were not fair to the singers or to the audience. That was just wrong.

April 15, 2009 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bb

go home already!

April 15, 2009 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brandi

Please ppl shut-up about the forehead thing already. Matt tries to do different things that the judges say then always gets shut down by them – whatever – bad night dude but I still luv ya Hope your safe.

April 15, 2009 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tara

Matt – GIVE IT UP! One JT in this business is quite enough! You have gone the way on Fantasia (can we say Macy Gray) Rueben Studdard (obviously Luther) and Taylor Hicks (who cares, he sucked!). Imitation is not the sincerest form of flattery when it comes to AI. You wont win, you shouldnt win! Sure its easy to say that some of the contestants sound like some old classic legends, but Matt, I've had enough. You have taken the JT reference WAY too far! The hat, the clothes, the singing, the walk....I've had enough! STOP THE INSANITY!!

As for the others, last night was a disappointment to me. Lil should have shined with any of Whitney or Celine (lord knows they have done enough soundtracks) but instead she chose Bette?! Danny – I was completely touched by the rendidition especially given the circumstances (I choked up when he looked up to heaven at the end of his song) but I would have preferred you sang one of the two Brian Adams songs, you would have rocked it! Plus either one would have been poignant towards your wife. Instead we had 2 VERY harsh performances from 2 that should be packing their bags.
    Allison – You had the time to shine last night too! But you chose a very hard song and unfortunatly, all of Paula and Kara's words of how experienced you are went to your head! (I wasnt feelin it dawg!!)

Adam- What else can be said about you? You are artistic, original, talented! BLAH BLAH BLAH! You rocked! Try to change it up a little next week or when you get the opportunity....I wanna hear some Axl from you!!

I love AI to death but last night..... one of the worst!

April 15, 2009 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Helen

Should be in Bottom 3

April 15, 2009 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. The best critic

Judging by the number of comments here, it looks like Matt will be eliminated. I hope the judges save him, but more importantly I hope his talent isn't overlooked after Idol. I think when he starts making his own music he will have the chance to find a consistent sound and prove that he is a great talent.

April 15, 2009 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Giselle

I think matt did A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!! Since day one I told my mom I totally thought his voice had that Bryan Adams star quality – so when I fouind out he was doing his song I was squealing

I think Randy & Kara dont know what theyre talking about...the guy was PHENOMENAL & in no way was I bored. Bored was watching lambert do Born to be Wild...I mean really? Whats up with all the screaming and wannabe hitting high notes...PUH-LEEZE!

Matt all the wayyyyyyyyyyy!!!

April 15, 2009 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jeremy

Matt does really well with the piano, but I can't help but think that that might have threw him off a little tonight. He sounded good up until the bridge, where he lost a little control and started sounded strainy. There was also one atrocious note during that point that turned me off to the entire performance. He's a good singer, but he might be in trouble tonight.

April 15, 2009 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. Kim

I am so dissappointed in Matt. I LOVE his soulfull voice, unfortunately, I think that's the only way he sounds good. He can't mix it up too much without getting pitchy and downright, ugh! He was one of my favorites from the very beginning, but I don't think he will win. I do hope he goes far in his career, though. I think people would buy his records.

April 15, 2009 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. Garry

Awesome rendition of a Bryan Adams Classic...I'm Canadian & know Bryan Adams for he played at a bar just down the street from me. It was actually wone of the best performances of the night.

April 15, 2009 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  14. klinkdog

Every week the judges tell Matt that something is wrong. Wrong song...wrong style...whatever. I'm pretty sure that Matt has more talent than half of the contestants left-Lil and Danny and Anoop at the very least.

It'll be a sad day for American Idol when Matt gets voted off.

April 15, 2009 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kelli

Chris Daughtry did that song soooo much better I wish I hadn't worn out my CD of Chris' Idol performances. But I do love my fellow Michigander Matt!

April 15, 2009 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  16. Shirley

I loved Matt's version of the song. I just feel that he is so "under played". They always talk the other contestants up and show and talk about their background. This guy gets not much of anything. I would like to see him go further.

The judges always tell the contestants that "you need to make this your own" and when they do, as Matt did last night, Randy said something like, "this was a great song that didn't need to be redone". Go Figure.

April 15, 2009 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  17. BRIAN

I think that Matt is the most talented in this competition, but he keeps choosing bad songs. That Stevie Wonder song was amazing last week, but this week was terrible. He's so inconsistent – get it together Matt!!

April 15, 2009 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  18. Chrissy

Matt can do no wrong in my eyes. I think he's amazing ...

April 15, 2009 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  19. Ed

Either Lil or Matt leaves tonight. It's a tossup.

April 15, 2009 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  20. Susan

I still love Matt and I think he is a great R&B singer. He may end up in the bottom 3 this week but he doesn't deserve to go home. He has a lot of talent and needs to stay.

April 15, 2009 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  21. Barbara

It was just ok. I think Matt can do better. He's needs to be less nervous because it always comes through in his voice, At least there was better lighting and we didn't see his forehead thing.

April 15, 2009 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  22. Linda

I like Matt but he has no "wow" factor. He was off pitch too much last night and his song just did not do it for me (to paraphrase Randy).

April 15, 2009 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  23. Ro

Matt, I believe this is the end of the road for you buddy. I like Matt and all, however like Danny he is not made for American Idol. He too has a problem sometimes with the wrong song choice. The falsetto and high notes was just not there for me last night on his performance.

April 15, 2009 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  24. Wendy

I really wanted to like this performance, but didn't!!! It was just was ok. Too bad!

April 15, 2009 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  25. Steve

Justin Timberlake he is not. It really bothers me to see his gums when he smiles. This guy should be the next to go. No Pop/Rockstar appeal for me. Sorry..bye...bye

April 15, 2009 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  26. YEC

Maybe not his best performance, agreed. But not terrible. And certainly not as terrible as Lil. But every time I hear Matt sing, I think, wow.

April 15, 2009 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  27. lori

There is something annoying about him that makes me turn the channel when he is singing and until he's done being judged. Maybe it's the 'im about to get sick or cry' look he gets when he is being commented on.

April 15, 2009 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  28. anthony

this guy is prettier than Beyonce.

April 15, 2009 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  29. Surfgirl

Nooooo! Matt, if you are going to sing a well-known, hugely popular song, you have to kill it. However, I am sorry to say that you didn't make it happen this time. Noop Dog did a better job with Bryan Adam's song tonight, though! Sorry!

April 15, 2009 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  30. Joan

Matt sang off-key and should be in the bottom 3 this week.

April 15, 2009 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  31. Alice Ribbons

I wish he'd done better, but tonight he sucked. But at least a couple others were worse.

April 15, 2009 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  32. ivy

Matt, Matt, Matt. I think you're really good. My whole family played your "Georgia On Mind" over and over, but what happened? You keep picking schmaltzy (tonight) or just plain unfortunate (Part-time Lover, Let's Get it on – a gagger) songs over and over.

Think BLUES – classic blues and everyone will be in the palm of your hand again.

April 15, 2009 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  33. Dean T Dunham

I have become a big fan of Matt's the past 3 weeks, but he was definitely off tonight. I hope he stays in the competition a little longer, but let's face it – Adam is gonna take it all this year!

April 14, 2009 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Sheri

I think Matt is wonderful. Maybe not his best performance, although I liked it. I believe Matt deserves to stay in this competition. I think Lil is going home tomorrow night.

April 14, 2009 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Lisa from NY

I think Matt is much better than the judges would have you think...he doesn't have the stage presence, odd that it can be, of an Adam, but he has his own charm and a consistency from week to week. I look forward to hearing him more than any of the others. And by the way, I HATED the two judge thing–very unfair to the contestants. I think Kara has to go, they tried but there is just not enough time for four judges going on and on. And even with the 2 judge comments tonight, they STILL ran over!

April 14, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Caroline

I like Matt but didn't like this performance. Allie B-you said it right, no WOW factor.

April 14, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Renuka

Matt was amazing tonight.

April 14, 2009 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Mel

I love MATT!!! He's got an amazing voice!

April 14, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. iluvkd

Chris Daughtry did that in season 5 NO comparison !!!

April 14, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Aimee

I have to agree, Scott overplayed the piano thing....so I was BORED!!!

April 14, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Gkygrl

His enunciation was horrible - nothing that inspiring.

April 14, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Tina

Yeah, that wasn't very good. I am sure it is the bottom three. I am thinking he may be in danger of being voted off too. He, Anoop, and Chris are my bottom three this week. Of course, Lil still has to perform.

April 14, 2009 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Eilleen

Sorry Matt! Bottom 3 this week!

April 14, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  44. TSRVT

Ugh.

April 14, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Paul

He butchered a great song.

April 14, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Bob S

Not too bad. Matt needs to go back to his soul roots. That's where he shines.

April 14, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Allie B

Well Randy resurrected his "for me for you" line – poor Matt! I think Matt is very talented, however he doesn't have the "wow" factor nor does he have the judges pimping him no matter how he performs (e.g. Gokey) so he is vulnerable at this stage.

April 14, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |