April 14th, 2009

Top 7: Danny Gokey's 'Endless Love'

Danny sans glasses. Me likey.

Danny Gokey

"Endless Love" is one of my absolute favorite songs.

But you have to be so careful with a classic. The potential to really stink up the joint is so prevalent.

It didn't reek, but it wasn't amazing either. It felt very karaoke for me. I also didn't need the subtle reference from Simon about Danny's personal tragedy.

We get it. It's sad, but let's move on to the performing, shall we?

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Jeremy

As far as I know, Danny only mentioned that the song has "special meaning" to him and alluded nothing to his late wife. Simon was the one who really brought it up during his critique.

In my humble opinion, none of Danny's performances have really stood out except for Top 40 Week and "What Hurts the Most." He's a great singer, but he's not exactly a breath of fresh air. The reason I say this is because I don't remember his performance last night at all or what the song that he performed sounds like. Forgive me because I don't know a broad spectrum of music, especially from the movies.

However, as a singer I'd still rank him among the top three performers on the show still, along with Allison and Adam.

April 15, 2009 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Helen

Like last week's performance better.

April 15, 2009 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Natalie

Gosh, I have been such a big Danny fan since day one, but I feel that he is slipping. I just feel that Allison & Adam have really stepped it up over the weeks and are far better than the others.

April 15, 2009 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. angela

Deb, Dannie doesnt bring up anything about losing his wife. Its the show and everyone else. Not once has he tried to get a sympathy vote, not once. The judges are the ones who made the comment about this must be a hard song for you. Had they, the judges, not said that, no one would have thought twice about anythying. Scott was the one getting sympathy votes and all the single contestant mamas showing off their kids during the show saying Im doing it for them. Whatever

April 15, 2009 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. angela

Danny is great!! No this week wasnt his best performance, truly it was his worst. But he is the only contestant who has been consistance week after week and knows who he is what he wants to sing. He is way ahead of everyone else in this competition. Matt is next in line and third has to go to Chris. Allison isnt far off and catching up though. Anyone who thinks Adam can sing, Have you had your ears checked lately? The guy, girl, whatever you call him screams and screatches every song he sings. For once can he sing a song without trying to sound like a girl.

April 15, 2009 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Guinness

OH MY GOD we get it you are depressed... OK OK I feel for you but you can not make a career on the back of your dead wife (YES I know I will be slammed for saying it BUT COME ON!)

April 15, 2009 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. Stacie

I for one love, love, love Danny! He can sing anything and I'd listen to it. Was this his best performance? No, but I still enjoyed it.

And I have to agree with Brian, Danny has not even once mentioned anything about his tragedy since he tried out for the show. You are the ones who continue to bring it up, not him. So, please stop throwing that in Danny's face, he's not the one doing it!

I think ADAM sucks! He screams, he doesn't sing. Yes, he is a performer but I can't stand him!

April 15, 2009 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. vivi

he made me cry when he sang this song. i think he did an awesome job. the harp, made it more sentimental.

April 15, 2009 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. BG

I'm seeing bottom 3 for Danny. Not because anything's wrong with Danny but because the leaders of the pack–Adam, Allison and Kris–are separating more and more from the rest. In past years Danny might have taken it all the way, but not this year.

April 15, 2009 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  10. Si

I think he is losing his touch. Compared to Adam and other late bloomers, I think he is starting to fade. But I still think he will be top 5. He may even be in top 3.

April 15, 2009 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  11. Deb

Danny is good yes, but I'm getting tired of the sympathy crap. We've all lost someone near and dear to us, but that doesn't make you a great performer. I don't see him own the stage like Adam! If the song was so special to him, why didn't he show that in his performance. I give it about a C+.

April 15, 2009 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  12. linda

TERRIBLE needs to go home

April 15, 2009 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  13. Brian

In honestly haven't heard anything about Danny's tragedies. I had to do a search for the news. I was reminded about his wife passing away shortly before the competition. But honestly, I had forgotten about this. So, perhaps the fact that the man can sing and I don't remember this means that he's not taking advantage of the sympathy factor? I dunno, maybe I don't read all 10 million Idol blogs to find out what's going on in the lives of these contestants.

April 15, 2009 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. Kim

Nor my favorite performance. I think we all know why this song was so special for him and I think he could have been more powerfull with it. Because of it's meaning, he should have put more emotion into and made people cry. I love his voice and think he may still come out the winner, but he needs to put some fuel back in his fire or he's going to burn out.

April 15, 2009 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. klinkdog

Danny, except for Lil, is the worst contestant left on the show. He needs to go home. Now. Allison, Kris, and Matt are all ten times better.

Danny sounds like he has a cold when he sings, and tries to make up for it by bellowing into the microphone.

Comparing him to Say Anything should be punishable by law.

April 15, 2009 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  16. singsemail@msn.com

LOVE YOU MUCH-great song-and you can sing better than Lionel Ritchie on any given day! Keep it up!

April 15, 2009 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  17. Dawn

Not his best performance. Danny is very likable and easy on the ears but he is not in the same league as Adam and Kris, even if you don't like their styles you can't deny their talent. Same with Danny but different level. Would I buy his album – probably. Would I go see his concert – NO. See the difference?

April 15, 2009 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  18. Diggity Dave

Once again, does it matter who wins this competition? I like Danny's soulfulness better than Adam's 80's hair band shrieking.

April 15, 2009 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  19. Ed

It wasn't Danny's best, but easily #2 for the night. Excellent choice, and I'm glad he didn't change this song too much.

April 15, 2009 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  20. jam

Danny is my favorite... I think he is awesome... I love his voice... I dont think he'll be in the bottom three...

April 15, 2009 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  21. Kathy

Danny is my personal favorite, but this song is one of the most boring songs.....ever. He did a pretty good job but it was still boring.

If he hadn't been my fav, I would have fast forwarded this song. It was almost as much as a train wreck as almost all the songs from country week.

April 15, 2009 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  22. Susan

I like Danny and I think he is talented and up for the final four, but last night was not a big "wow" although it was good performance not his best.

April 15, 2009 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  23. Robyn

I have to agree with you Jessica.....this man rocks my world every single week! The emotion that comes out with each and every song is undeniable and those that don't feel it don't get what music is about. He can sing a song about his wife every time if he wants, I'd listen each and every time! What makes a great song IS the emotional connection that the performer can make with the song and give right back to the audience. He touches people and moves me with his beautiful melody and falsetto.....what a beautiful singer and an even more beautiful human being. And as Jessica said, if you don't like him, DON'T vote for him. I don't care for Adam but respect those that do, I just don't vote for him. God bless Danny......keep staying true to yourself!!

April 15, 2009 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  24. Kirk

And has anyone noticed that when he performs he has on his wedding ring or a similar looking ring, and on result shows or other outings there is NO ring. Yes, he has had a very difficult last year, but dont throw the ring in our faces for sympathy.

April 15, 2009 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  25. Linda

At first I had picked Danny as one of my top 3, but he has sort of gotten boring. I was disappointed in his performance this week, I had hoped for more/better from him.

April 15, 2009 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  26. Barbara

Come on people, Danny never really had a edge. Why on earth would he pick Endless Love?? So corny!! The only thing positive last night for him is that he finally looked good. He lost the glasses and took off a few pounds.

April 15, 2009 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  27. NATALIE

Danny is the real thing. He is awesome. He is about as American Pie as they come. His life, family, abilities shine in his eyes. You will never go wrong sticking by Danny's side. He is beyond awesome – he is magnificent. He can take a crowd and whoo them. Thank you Danny from a middle aged woman.

April 15, 2009 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  28. Ro

I like Danny as a person and I love his personality, however he is not made for American Idol because his voice is not impressive at all. The lady that I just seen on Britain's got talent, where her name is Susan Boyle(check her out on youtube) was more impressive than Danny. Yeah they are two different people in two different countries, however he is just plain Danny, nothing spectacular about him at all.

April 15, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  29. Wendy

Not very good at all! Poor song choice. What was he thinking???? Yippes! Not a place for something so personal! So talented and so wrong last night!

April 15, 2009 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  30. Amy

I would've loved to hear him sing my favorite movie song- "Mustang Sally" from The Commitments! He has the perfect voice for it! All of the contestants except Adam were so boring this week- they really need to step away from all of the BALLADS! UGH!!!

April 15, 2009 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  31. Rafael

This guy is horrible. He's still on the competition only because his whole family is dying and people feel bad for him. Who's next? his mother? father? sister? I don't know and don't care, just as long as he gets voted off the show asap.

April 15, 2009 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  32. Kathy

LOVE HIM. YOU GO DANNY!!!. I HOPE IF AMERICA GETS THIS RIGHT DANNY WILL WILL. YOU CAN SING. ADAM SCREAMS AND IT REALLY GETS ON MY NERVES. VOTE FOR DANNY!!!!!!LOVE YOU MAN

April 15, 2009 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  33. YEC

I did not watch thisperformance. I hate this song. As soon as they said he would sing it, I did not want to be contaminated by this song. So I can't judge Gokey's performance. But I can guarantee that he had better start choosing some decent songs, but it seems like every week I say-"I hate this song," with regard to what he is singing. The song is dreck, and that's being kind.

April 15, 2009 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  34. alexandra

Let's face it, Danny is a mediocre singer. He's pleasant to listen to but that's about the extent of it. There's no way he's going to win this competition, and frankly, without his sad backstory, he wouldn't have been in the finals.

April 15, 2009 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  35. Amy

Allie B- I couldn't agree more. But then again I was called MEAN for not hearing it with Scott, either.

April 15, 2009 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  36. Rai

OH MY GOSH! I was so freaking bored durring this song.... His run on American Idol should be over...Even though I counted him as an early leader.... he has lost his edge.... I think he will be in the bottom three this week with Rounds and Giraud.... My prediction is that Rounds will go this week. How pathetic arguing with Simon about his feed back – Cowell is almost always spot-on in his critique! Love simon or hate him – you have to agree! Rounds will be doing the cruise boat thing post American Idol!

April 15, 2009 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  37. Surfgirl

Paula, you were absolutely WRONG. Danny's performance was aweful.

April 15, 2009 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  38. Surfgirl

Just the first couple of phrases turned me off. Ditto to some of you said that he was out of tune in places. Not your night, Danny! What a disappointment!

April 15, 2009 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  39. Jason

Paging Micheal Bolton!

April 15, 2009 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  40. Jessica

Also, I'd like to say this. It has really bothered me on this post and on a few others that I've seen that for some reason it's become this non politically correct thing to grieve for someone you've lost. I don't care if EVERY song is about his wife – let him grieve! If you don't like it, don't vote for him. But don't rip him apart because he's gone through something we all hope we never have to go though. He's a great singer and that's getting lost in all the drama that you guys are bringing to the table. You don't WANT to like him, regardless of whether or not he ever gives you a valid reason to not like him. So far, he hasn't. He sings very well and does great from week to week.

April 15, 2009 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  41. Jessica

I loved his performance....although, I love his performance every week. He's hugely talented.

April 15, 2009 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  42. Marilyn

Danny is awesome. I love his voice and hope that he can go all
    the way to the end.

April 15, 2009 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  43. Alice Ribbons

He's a fraud, that Danny Douchebag.

April 15, 2009 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  44. Joan

What is happening to Danny? In the beginning, he was a favorite. He's been so boring for the past 3 weeks that, for me, he's in danger of being voted off. He's just not the same caliber as Adam, Allison, and Kris.

April 15, 2009 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  45. Lola

I don't know why the judges seem to favor Gokey. He's nothing more than a warm up act for Andy Williams or Marie Osment at a Branson, Missouri night club. He's probably a really nice guy, but he is absolutely not Idol material. He continues to pick done to death songs week after week offering no originality, and the judges never say a word to him about it. They wouldn't hesitate to call any of the other contestants on that though.

April 14, 2009 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  46. gk

Patti-this is a singing competition, not a testimony sessions at a church.
    Although we all feel for his tragedy, that shouldn't be the factor why you support one contestant than the other.
    After all, every contestant has his/her own struggles/trials to overcome.
    Danny's vocal ability? yes, he has nice tone. But he's still a shallow artist. His palette is limited on just a few predictable emotions and colors. He needs to expand and dare to go beyond. I feel he needs to look his internal, real crude emotions to really find the true artist inside him. it's gonna be difficult, because he wants to cover it with his religious belief. But unless he does it, he will stay in a shallow place. Sometimes we get comfort when we see the real crude emotions such as desperation, frustration,sexual desire, even jealousy. Because these are emotions we all share.

April 14, 2009 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  47. RJ

Epic fail.

April 14, 2009 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Darcie

I did not think Simon's comment was inappropriate, he was merely acknowledging that he saw Danny deliberately lift his eyes heavenward at the end of the song. Pay attention people!

April 14, 2009 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Ani

Bye Patti.

April 14, 2009 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  50. gk

out of tune, boring, monotonous, colorless

April 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Steve

Danny has an awesome voice and brings true soul to the songs he picks, tonight's included. The way he shapes melody when he gets into the song is the stuff that communicates feeling and actually gives you the occasional chill. Anyone else hear the resemblance to *Michael Bolton* The same scratch, huge voice, and range but no much adult contemporary, more pop sounding.

April 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Dignan

I like Gokey, but week after week he does the same type of song and I'm bored with it.

April 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Ace

I think Danny sounds like Peter Gabriel. What about In Your Eyes...from Say Anything. Anybody Else?

April 14, 2009 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Patti

Danny has been my favorite since the beginning. To me no matter what he sings he is the best of them all. Yes, he had a personal tragedy but for some reason some people want to use that against him. If Danny is voted off I won't be watching AI anymore.

April 14, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Neil

Danny is completely overated. His voice is raspy and poor. He has no range. He sings in the same octave every week. He sounds the same every time. He is the 6th worst singer in this competition. Only Kris is worse.

April 14, 2009 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  56. David

I really enjoyed it. Then again, I don't follow the crowd and agree with everything written by journalists.

April 14, 2009 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Bob Smith

Is it just me or has Danny not performed up to his usual standard the past couple of weeks? You're in the home stretch dude. Time to put up or shut up and go home.

April 14, 2009 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Renuka

There is something wrong with Danny's voice each week. I loved his earlier performances but now I am just bored. He is just too flat too often and what is with the rough voice .. kills the melody. Is that an act? He needs to sing something more up tempo or rock.

April 14, 2009 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  59. irmarie

I agree it was good but not awesome. Also Simons connotion was unnecesary.

April 14, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Gkygrl

I love Danny's sound ... but he isn't the next AI. Would I buy his album ... yes, most definitely.

April 14, 2009 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  61. RJ

BORING! Move on.

April 14, 2009 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  62. TSRVT

I like Danny, but I abhor this song. And he didn't sing it particularly well.

April 14, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Bob S

Danny once agains screeches his way through a song. When will the other judges finally catch on Simon knows what he's talking about?

April 14, 2009 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Paul

This is not one of my favorite songs. The first half of the song was not good, it improved as he went along to make it an average performance overall. He isn't living up to the hype.

April 14, 2009 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Tina

I don't think Danny will be in the bottom three, but it wasn't his best and it is getting scary that we are running out of candidates to vote off. I hope he doesn't leave too soon.

April 14, 2009 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Allie B

After I write this comment, I'm making an appointment with an Ear-Nose-Throat specialist. I don't hear "brilliant" when it comes to Gokey's singing – yet every week he's praised for average performances. I must need to have my ears checked.

Simon calls him out on the lack of originality then throws in the sympathy bone – ugh.

April 14, 2009 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Adrianne

Love him no matter what he sings. He could have done better but still really good.

April 14, 2009 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Dustin

Danny keeps falling. Kris just passed him for second place. Adam has a 9 to 10 lap lead with 1 lap left in the race.

April 14, 2009 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |