April 14th, 2009

Top 7: Bloom is off Lil Rounds' 'Rose'

Dear Lil,

Lil Rounds

I'm afraid it's over between you and me.

You've disappointed me so much in the past, and tonight was make or break time.

When I heard the theme, I thought "Yes! Lil will do some Whitney Houston, and it will all be OK."

But you didn't do that, Lil. You chose Bette Midler's "The Rose," and it was too little, too late for me.

It's not you, Lil. It's me. I just can't keep hanging on waiting for the old Lil to come back to me. I even fell in love with your kids!

And your trying to justify your choice of song to the judges didn't sway me either. Some day you'll look back on this and know that I was right.

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Lorrie

Respect goes a long way. The words exchanged between Lil and Simon came accoss as way to defensive on Lil's part. Accepting Simon's harsh words, as hard as it can be, is still part of the game she signed up for. Trying to convince him of how hard she worked made her like a whiner.

April 16, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ro

she is lucky to still be on there. The thing is that she is going to continue making the same mistake in wrong song choice and she will be going home with Matt next week.

Poor Allison will be the only girl standing with a bunch of guys for the remaining of the show.

April 16, 2009 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. lipsle

American Idol is Racist... Lil keep singing girl.. The Lord will make a way.. A Change is gonna come girl.

April 16, 2009 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joe

And by the way....that new judge Kara has to go!!! She adds ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the show! She makes general, obvious comments. What the hell does she know about music and singing??? NOTHING!!!

April 16, 2009 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joe

Lil: Listen to me, please. You are the most talented and have the best voice on the show. STOP PICKING THE WRONG SONGS!! It's hurting you. You're best when you're singing some soft, melodic stuff like Whitney or some of the other R & B singers. Leave the other stuff alone. You SHOULD win this competition!!!

April 16, 2009 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ben Lee

If the entire American Idol-dom shouts " 'Lil, sing a WHITNEY straight up" – maybe she might hear us. You think? I have more luck training my dog to get on the skateboard.

April 16, 2009 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  7. yabbadabbadooey

Lil should be gone. We'll know shortly. One guy for sure who is not gone - Anoop. If Lil would have just sang some Aretha, such as, "Do Right Woman." That's all I got.

April 15, 2009 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lynn

I think Lil must have gotten lucky and had a good week during auditions. I just don't think she's as good as what the judges thought she was. That's why she can't live up to their hopes for her. She's definitely not as good as SHE thinks she is and being on shaky ground already, that crappy attitude is not helping her. She can't take constructive criticism at all and labels look at those kinds of things. Difficult artists are easily passed on in the industry. I just don't think she's very good and there were several in auditions that got sent home that were better than her. Hope to see 'ya leave sooner than later Lil, and don't let the door hit your big .....a....EGO on the way out!

April 15, 2009 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bob

Happy101, your act is getting old. You forgot one thing when comparing Jennifer Hudson to Lil Rounds – Jennifer Hudson has talent! Also, whining about the music industry being racist, I agree. It's pretty much owned by rap music which is almost 100% black.

You know what? If you are so sure AI is racist, then why do you watch it? Or do you not get BET?

Whiner.

April 15, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. B

Simon thinking Lil is not doing well has nothing to do with her race or his being racist. He liked her early on but feels she isn't singing well, and he is right. Simon is rude to EVERYONE when he critiques them negatively. I wonder if those screaming "racism" were screaming any "isms" when Scott was kicked off last week? Somehow I think not.

April 15, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Hally

I don't know if she will be gone tonight, but I happened to like her performance. Maybe she should have done the whole song with the R&B/gospel/soul style rather than the last half, but I still thought it was great. That being said, it was the wrong time to make this decision – she should have been here a couple weeks ago. I think we all expected her to choose something like "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going," and just blow us all away.

April 15, 2009 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. justme66

I really thought Lil would break out some "Mahogany" or maybe "Dreamgirls" tunes. She can sing!! but we havent heard her in quite a while.

April 15, 2009 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeremy

Happy101, you and Earl seem to have been the only people pushing the issue of race into this entire discussion. Heaven forbid the judges or anyone else scrutinize any single contestant because they didn't like what she did. You can say that about any contestant, no matter who they are. That's fine if you love the way she sings, but many people have not agreed with the choices that she's made in the competition. That has absolutely nothing to do with discrimination whatsoever. Don't inject controversy somewhere where there is none at all.

April 15, 2009 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RDH

I'm amazed she is still even on the show. I think she is way overrated and has no chance of winning.

April 15, 2009 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ron

I got tired of Lil's promises to show that she's an artist if she got another chance to sing. She doesn't rock...but I hope she rolls...out the door tonight.

April 15, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Ovayu

I don't feel Lil was as bad as Simon made her out to be. She added her touch to the song as they have told her in weeks past. Apparently the girl just can't win when she does what they have told her what she should do. The poor girl is being pulled in so many directions by the judges! I hate to post a comment like this, but after hearing Simon comment on her performance I felt that Lil should have went off and cussed him out, snapped her fingers at him, spun around and walked off the stage and not looked back. If she makes it to next week, I hope she realizes she should sing songs as if she were to release it on an album in 2009. Simon was very rude in the way he talked to her. I also feel she had every right to say what she said back to him. I wish she would have said more. If she is sent home tonight, at least she spoke her mind.

April 15, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Dan L.

I think Lil has a great voice, however she lost me after motown week. I thought that she would nail that week and she just disappointed. She has some talent, she just seems confused and not ready for the limelite yet.

April 15, 2009 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Shelley

First of all – Lil sounded horrible – I watched and wondered what on earth happened and Why is she still on stage. She stunk OK. So GET OFF of Simon – Simon hit right oh the nail. He tried week after week listening to her silly excuses "next week I will do better." Listen, time is up, she's had several chances. Many people don't get that! And if Simon or any of those judges "were hating" Lil would not bge on that stage. Don't be ridiculous.

April 15, 2009 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mary

Can the blonde theme. There is not one blonde left and hasn't been for awhile. You either can or can't sing. Good bye Lil

April 15, 2009 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  20. bb

I liked Lil's song a lot

April 15, 2009 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Happy101

Sir Elton John, who is a fellow brit like Simon, was one of the judges when Jennifer Hudson was on. There were three black women, Fantasia (who Simon was critical of her too), another woman and Hudson. These three black women was in the bottom three and Jennifer was the one who was voted off.

John said that the "Show was racist." and this is a man who is white and Gay.

I think the problem is that when a person, who of color sing something different from the norm, people have a problem with it. Not everyone will sound like homogonized milk. And this is the problem with the music industry in general.

April 15, 2009 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Judette

Lil has a great voice but she's not an artist. An artist knows when to tweak a song and make it her own and when to leave a classic untouched.

April 15, 2009 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  23. MM

Lil rocks. I thought she did a great job. I would like some of you haters to do a better job. At times, there is no pleasing Simon. Lil did a great job. I think she will be back next week. Stop the hating.

April 15, 2009 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Mr. Dee

I'm not gonna lie. I love Lil and I am a big fan of hers, but I am a big fan of good singing even better. She hasn't been good in the past weeks but last night was a step up for her. I personally think that she doesn't need American Idol because she is so much better than that. I think she hasn't been doin R&B because people would think that she's doing the same boring thing. I have to admit that I'm tired of her tryin to get it together but I hope she stays

April 15, 2009 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  25. dboy from clarksdale, ms

I love Lil Rounds and I am glad she spoke up for herself. I don't think she need American Idol there is already gossip about a MAJOR MUSIC LABEL who is already interested in her. I think America needs to stop hating we don't need another blonde hair country singer or idiot rocker We Need A Soultry Sister so LIL ROUNDS do your thing GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 15, 2009 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jeremy

@Steve: What you got against Asians? I'm a God-fearing, peace-loving man of the people. I think everyone's got a little bit of good in him- or herself.

Anyway, I didn't see the show before the top 13 aired, so I was anticipating what to expect from Lil, who I heard a lot about. Since I've started watching the season, she hasn't put on a performance that has lived up to that hype. To echo what most everyone has been saying, I think she's still struggling to determine what kind of an artist she is. She's got a good voice, but securing her niche has been an uphill battle. I also think any contestant has a right to communicate with the judges as long as it's reasonably constructive. (I think Simon was willing to debate her comments if he wasn't cut off by time restraints.) She made her point about putting her own style on "The Rose," but again song choice played against her favor. The transition between the original and her gospel version wasn't natural and gave the arrangement an incohesive feel. Sticking with one version or the other would've had a better effect. No doubt she'll be in the bottom three tonight, and if she doesn't get booted, I hope she can find her own, consistent style.

April 15, 2009 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  27. MONA

THEY KEEP TALKING ABOUT HOW AWESOME SHE IS AND I HAVENT' HEARD ANYTHING AWESOME ABOUT HER. SHE COMPLETELY DESTROYED MY MOST FAVORITE SONG IN THE WORLD THE ROSE. SHE NEEDS TO GO.

April 15, 2009 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  28. ByeBye@Hotmail.com

The song title might have been "The Rose" but the singing sure wasn't anything sweet. She should have been gone several weeks ago!

April 15, 2009 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  29. lynn

Lil is better than the average singer, but she is out of her class on AI. I am so over her whining.

April 15, 2009 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Helen

Lil Should have gone already

April 15, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Natalie

Sadly, I think she will go tonight. I enjoyed the fact that she added some gospel to her song and wish she would have done that from the beginning of the season. I would have been a bigger fan for sure. She is clearly talented, but I just don't know where she fits in as an artist. I hope some good fortune comes her way as a result of this. 🙂

April 15, 2009 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Lilli

If she doesn't go home tonight, then something in the Rose Garden stinks. Would've loved to have heard, "I will always love you" from the Bodyguard...I believe Lil just wants to go home and be with her kids and family, it appears she has the talent but fears success.

Believe Adam and Allison are the main contenders.

April 15, 2009 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Reed

I think Lil lost her personality, flair and confidence when she started wearing wigs. She needs to go back to her original hair style and start being Lil again.

April 15, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Llama

I think that it's fine for Simon to tell her to take a song and make it her own. She listened, and she didn't do a good job with it – at all! So of course Simon is going to criticize her for it. If she had nailed it, he would have nothing but praise for her. She has been in a downward spiral for weeks now, and I think it's time for her to go home. She's got potential, but this show isn't looking for that!

April 15, 2009 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Hachiko56

We have to remember...she is still in theAmerican Idol Tour 2009 this summer. So even tho she gets booted off...she still will be making money this summer. She could have use a better choice of song...but it took alot to get to the position she is in now...many others didn't make it in the top 10...remember AMANDA from last year

April 15, 2009 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  36. Oluyinka Olafenwa

Lil, it's sad to see you struggle these few weeks back with your song; am a fan of yours but I agree with Simon in that, first, you make wrong song choices, that did leaves us wondering what artist you are, although I know you're an R&B artist, but you've got to convince Americans of whom you wnat to be; secondly, still refering to comment from Simon, I don't think you have good advisers and its sad; lastly, don't argue with the judges in any way, it depreciates you and what you are. If you're lucky to still make it through, talk to Simon, he's always realistic in his comment that others; good luck!

April 15, 2009 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  37. benny

Lil had a chance to make an impact last night and she blew it. She has not had a show-stopper this season. I think that's what the judges expected from her. I was so hoping she would sing something from The Bodyguard. Very poor song choices from the beginning. Simon was right on, as usual.

April 15, 2009 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  38. Beth

she needs to go!!!

April 15, 2009 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  39. JM

I thought I was the only one cringing inside – she sounded like she was absolutely singing off key. And, no way is it ever going to work in your favor to argue with the judges. I was expecting an exciting surprise from her. In her favor, she looked beautiful. I'm disappointed by the posts that are trying to make this about color. Music is not about color. My ears and theirs want the best singer – bring us a singer we cannot wait to hear! Now was the time for her to pour on the gas, but she only sputtered.

April 15, 2009 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  40. mags

I don't agree with talking back to the judges. I understand her frustration, but she looked pretty disrespectful tonight.

April 15, 2009 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  41. Steve

It is really irresponsible to suggest that this show is racist, and doesn't give African American's a fair shake. Racism is still all too real in this country, and crying wolf every time you don't get your way, just hurts the cause. Let's look at the simple facts. African American's represent 13.5% of the population of the US; yet to date, 43% of the winners have been African American. If anyone has a case about racism, it's Asians.

April 15, 2009 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  42. RMW

Lil Rounds has a wonderful voice and a great singer...has been my pick from day one. Simon Cowell has been in the business for a long time and knows talent when he hears it. Lil has been Simon's pick, I think, throughout the season and is one of the few he would consider saving. After last night, I don't think that is the case; yes she has a right to share her opinion, but I don't like the contestants talking back to the judges, I was really disappointed in Lil. Yes she showed her talent in arranging a song, but the wrong kind of song. She has chosen the wrong song the last few weeks...Lil, please, do songs that fit your voice, from Artists you most sound like...Mary J, Whitney Houston, those types...when the voters can associate with the song and hear how wonderful you do it, that's where your votes come from. You have Simon on your side, he has been telling you each week what songs fit you...he loves you, he wants to see you succeed! He knows you have potential!!!!! Please Lil, you can do this!!! 🙂

April 15, 2009 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  43. Vincent Petrosino

Lil has every right to mouth off to Simon Cowell. These past few weeks have been hell for her and he has been insulting and NOT constructive at all. Not one mentor has challenged her choice of song. Let's take a trip down memory lane: Cowell did this to Syesha Mercado, Mandisa (remember the crack about getting a bigger stage?) and let's not forget his all time mistake with Jennifer Hudson! And now Lil Rounds! Are you getting my point. I think it takes guts to respond to a judge especially one who can't sing himself! Lil is an R&B vocalist. Give her a venue she can tune into well.

April 15, 2009 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  44. LikeRandySortOf

Yo yo yo dog check it out: It's just not working for me. And I don't think it's working for you either. I think the pressure is getting to you. We've given you a lot of advice, keep tellin' you you just need to chill and work it out, give us yourself, but each week you're getting farther and farther away from who you are. You're a great singer but I don't think this kind of pressure is for you. It's not for everybody.

April 15, 2009 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  45. EagleJBW

Lil Rounds, oh-me-oh-my. I knew the first time I heard her mouth-off to the judges, with frequent unsolicited encores, that her yap would be her downfall. I pity the poor fools who have to work with her on a day-to-day basis.

April 15, 2009 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  46. V

Lil,

I thought you did great! I have been a fan of yours from day 1. Screw Simon. I think he is jealous of you....

April 15, 2009 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  47. Tracy

Race is now a huge factor in this competition. If you look at the top of the pop charts in any given week they are filled with hip hop and r&b songs and artist . Yet there were only a couple of black finalist this year. Then the judges say they are trying to find a star – who are the starts right now – beyonce,rihanna ,usher, justin timberlake only because he does r&b . so if you are trying to find a superstar then atleast half of the finalist should have been black. These people have no real appeal . American idol voters are really young kids and old women – this is why taylor hicks won . The people that vote on american idol are not record buyers.

April 15, 2009 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  48. Jane

The producers need to work on timing the show better. To not get the opinion of all the judges is rediculous, lets be real all we care about is what Simon says anyway and to rush through isn't fair to the contestants or the viewers.

They should stop showing us the rehearsals (who cares) just come out and surprise us with their song.... and of course go back to only 3 judges!!

April 15, 2009 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  49. Tom

I don't believe it. How can anyone say she has the most talent and the best voice. Are you tone deaf? While she has an average voice she is soooo far from the best talent and voice she is lucky to have lasted this long. As far as the race thing, give me a break, her lack of talent is what is getting her off the show. One more thing, are you saying that they should let more Black people on the show just because they are black and it won't matter if they can sing? Folks this is a SINGING AND TALENT SHOW. It has nothing to do with race.

April 15, 2009 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  50. Happy101

Phil Spector would have been a better mentor–Oh, I forgot, he's in prison awating sentencing.

But for all due respect of choosing the mentors, Tarantino is a great film director, but he was lousy in advising the contestants. Marvin Hamlish or even Randy Newman would have been a better choice than this indivisual.

But getting back to to comments about Lil, she looked like she was fixing to cry.

This thing is getting to her and the mean-spirited comments, especially the one that says that she should go back being a mother to her children is appaling. I mean what if she seen these comments because people can be hurt too. She like others worked hard to get where she is right now, I feel you people should lighten up a bit. It takes courage to get on a stage and sing. Even if Lil does not win this thing, she will have a sucessful career, if she hooks up with the right people.

The Idol machine can last so long and many of these stars may not have staying power. They may have success now, but they may be forgettable about 10 or 15 years from now.

April 15, 2009 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  51. Si

Lil takes things pretty personal. Judges have given her advices every week but she always refuse to listen and retort. Man, judges are there to help you. Can someone wake her up? She thinks she is pro or what? True to judges, I think she is getting worse each week while other contestants are improving each week. She definitely doesn't deserve to be in next week show.

April 15, 2009 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  52. Deb

Lil,
    I like you a lot! I loved your performance of the Rose, as I have your other performances. The look you had last night was the best look for you in my opinion. You definately have talent. Sorry to read so much negative. It's not what you have in your future though. I believe that. Keep going! If you stay on, GIVE THEM A GUT BUSTER OF A SONG NEXT TIME! Go for it!

April 15, 2009 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  53. Nic

I've been routing for Lil for the past several weeks because I think she has a great voice, but last night I couldn't do it anymore. This was the week were Lil was supposed to shine and out do herself vocally and passionately, but she fell way too short. Each week she continues to pick the wrong song. There is no passion when she sings and as a result she does not connect with the audience.

I think it is time she go home and practice her craft a bit more.

April 15, 2009 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  54. Tracy

Lil is choosing the wrong songs but its also obvious that everyone has a crush on Adam. He is not all that original in my opinion. What sets him apart is that he is polished and he should be – he has spent years on stage doing weird performances like a female impersonator. This competition should be for amateurs . This is why he is so much better than everyone – he has been a paid professional performaer for years. Lil screams and its annoying – Adam screams (which he does alot ) and its cool. There is a clear double standard and Adam is obviously going to win but the funny thing is he will not be star either. He will have about as much success as bo bice . Look at the top of pop charts – Adam will not fit in. He is an 80's throwback – reminds me of billy idol. Nothing original at all.

April 15, 2009 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  55. Deb

Lil needs to go. She just isn't cutting the mustard. She can sing a song, but she absolutely butchered "The Rose."

April 15, 2009 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  56. Zack

Lil, as an amateur singer, you are guided by professionals who have been there and done that. So, standing up and talking back to them do not go well for you; more so, it reveals your weakness to the audience that you're sensitive to criticism. That's unprofessional! Please understand, I have always voted for you but this time I am thinking twice. I still believe you have talent but I looking for someone who will have longevity in their career.

April 15, 2009 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  57. Kim

I think Lil's past performances have shown that she's not much of an artist. Just a girl with a good voice. She can sing a song good by doing the way it's always been done. But she doesn't seem to know how to use her voice to be creative.

April 15, 2009 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  58. Claire

Wil, don't play that card. It had nothing to do with her lack of blondeness... the blondes already got the boot, if you recall. Now, back to the facts - Lil's performance of one of my fave songs was just plain awful! "The Rose" is not a power ballad. It's about someone who's afraid to live life, but has hope that the "rose" beneath winter's snow will bloom in spring. I don't even agree with a "gospel" treatment of this song. The lyrics, if anyone cares, are heartbreaking; and after Adam's performance of "Mad World" last week, I actually think HE would have done a better job with "The Rose."

April 15, 2009 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  59. mike

The problem with Lil last night was she attempted to make the song her "own" but failed miserably in doing so. Yes she followed the judges advice to some extent, but it just seem disjointed. She has a great voice but that doesn't make a great entertainer/singer.

April 15, 2009 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  60. colabear65

I think Lil got bad advice from Quentin Tarantino. She should have put that gospel spin on the The Rose and maybe we would have liked it. Why didn't she choose something from The Bodyguard or The Preacher's Wife...if she had sang Whitney she would have WOWED the crowd. I totally agree with Simon, he was dead-on with his comments. I too am FRUSTRATED with Lil. She's been my favorite from day one, but I'm getting fed up with her performances. Come on Lil, we are pulling for you. Stop fighting the judges critiques; they are right!!!!

April 15, 2009 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  61. Katie

Her defensive tirade to Simon was unprofessional, in my opinion. She has a good, strong, voice, but she was off pitch for most of the performance and I just don't think she has what it takes to win the competition. Having made it this far, though, she still has a lot of opportunity waiting for her in the music world.

April 15, 2009 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  62. Punkin

Earl, it's people like you and your stupid comments. Don't make this a racial thing. There is one thing you cannot take away from other people and that's their opinion. You can argue, but you won't win, not with the racial arguement. AI is not racial at all, just cause you don't get what you want, you pull out the race card? Then you try to force the issue? I absolutely hate that. That's what keeps bring you down. Grow up. We're way past that. It's the year 2009, stop using that to get your way. It's wrong on so many levels. Earn it, like the rest of us. that disgust me. You want some cheese to go with that whine?

April 15, 2009 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  63. donna

I love Lil. I think she has a great voice but she obviously does not know how to pick songs for a COMPETITION. When picking a song, she needs to ask her self "will this song wow the listener"? Except for the night she sung the MJ Blige song, she would have to answer a resounding "no". I hate to quote Simon, but unfortunately all of her performances after the first show have been "forgettable" and disapointing. I'm afraid she's going home tonight.

April 15, 2009 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  64. kelly

I agree Lil every week you look better (nice hair)
    and have a voice but you can't preform.

It's so frustrating because you know this gal has it in her she just can't become someone.
    I say she does gospel and leave her there.

I feel badly she gets beaten up and whomever is there to assist her (voice, style) isn't leading her there.
    To bad seems you got shafted in that department Lil –
    You will have a better life for your family but go back to being a mom – and let it all work itself out for you.
    You have soul and can sing just can't believe you can preform.
    You have talent and a gift somehow this show will open that avenue.

April 15, 2009 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  65. singsemail@msn.com

Lil–I love ya, girlfriend.....BUT...you open your mouth at the wrong time about the wrong thing. Regretfully, Simon is right – you have really let us down, repeatedly. You have a wonderful, powerful voice-that is your strength! Your weakness...your timbre in the lower range....and the ballads that you have selected has emphasized this. I can understand your not singing Mary Bli....her songs have a limited audience...and they are not songs that singers like you-–who can REALLY SING--give you the opportunity to strut your stuff. I think you could out sing Mary B on any given day....but you must relate to the audience. Mary is great in the lower range...YOUR STRENGTH, girlfriend, RIDES HIGH, WITH BOLDNESS and FORTITUDE--I think you should make it through this week, you were not the worse performer....but your "back talk" to Simon was not appropriate because he is right. C'mon, girl, GO FOR IT...look at Whitney – or a Jenifer- and blow us away--WE ARE HUNGRY FOR YOU! GO-LIL-GO! WIN THIS THING!

April 15, 2009 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  66. Alesia in Missouri

Bye Lil!

April 15, 2009 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  67. Linda Rivera

Clearly she never heard Bette Midler sing that song. It's good that she tried to put the R&B on it but guess what...it didn't work at all. That is such a great song and I had to change the channel she was singing it so bad. sorry for her.

April 15, 2009 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  68. Kyle

Lil needs to get voted off.
    Obviously she has no respect for the judges and just wanted her "2 seconds of fame" by argueing with simon.
    I like simons comment when he told allison that she was the only hope for the girls of the competition. I cross my fingers that lil wont make it past tonight

April 15, 2009 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  69. Fran

I think that Lil Round is the next one to go. It seems that she don't listen to the judges and sings what she wants. She is a good singer, but is not a great one and just doesn't listen to them at all.

April 15, 2009 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  70. Jay

Lil is leaving this week.

April 15, 2009 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  71. Ontaya

Earl please spare me. Lil really did not deliver last night it was awful and so sad. She is not America's Idol so if you thought she was maybe you should have turned up your television so you could hear instead of just seeing.

Race has nothing to do with anything so stop it please. This coming from an African American woman who is disgusted by the comments about race. Lil is not delivering and that's that.

April 15, 2009 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  72. ???????????

I think Lil is an Awesome singer. My belief is that she has so much pressure from the judges and others until she is at a point where as she just don't know what song is going to please everybody. i think she needs to slow it down a little just to come back to herself, Pray, then show that memphis does have Great Talent. She was given the spotlight just a lil too quick, living up to people or fans expectations is hard. Again, i say Slow It Down, and Be Lil.

April 15, 2009 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  73. Ed

I like Lil, or I thought I did until she murdered The Rose last night. It seemed that she had no understanding of the song itself, and it was too much for her.

April 15, 2009 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  74. Happy101

Oh, and you forgotten Mandisa, and Tamyra Grey. Grey was promised a career from Idol. She done several films, but her career yet to be materialized. She has to struggle like everyone else now, a name from yesterday and that was too bad. Frenchie Davis was one, but she was booted off from Idol because she did something that did not fit Idol's image–but another contestant by the name of Jason in Season 7 was given a free pass because of his vice.

George Huff, who also of color has a successful career too

And Mandisa had potential, but that's another issue–she has a sucessful gospel music career.

Don't get me wrong, Simon is a good promoter, but he said things to Hudson too, hoping she fails–but where is Hudson now? She won awards, and done a lot of movie work–oh, I forgot,. she won an Academy Award without the help of 19 Entertainment.

April 15, 2009 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  75. Stacey

I have to agree that race seems to be playing a big part in this competition. Lil has the most talent and best voice out off all the other contestants, yet she is unfairly criticized each week. I also agree, there needs to be way more black winners on this show. Just look at the kind of message this is sending to the black youth of America. Very sad.

April 15, 2009 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  76. Kathy

Lil has consistently disappointed and if she doesn't go home tonight, it will be soon. I think it will be between Lil, Matt and Anoop this week.

I don't know why people think Simon is the one giving people the boot off the show. America votes them off. As I recall, Simon was just as astonished as everyone else when Jennifer Hudson got the boot. The girl from Hawaii, the one not half as good, got the vote that year because Hawaii had clear lines for 2 hours to vote.

All the judges have their opinions and I generally respect all of them, but they don't have the final say, the voters do.

April 15, 2009 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  77. lavvie

Last night was a tough night. I think Tarantino gave some minimal advice, but he was not the best. Most of the selected musical scores were okay. I like Danny, Adam did his "screeching" best which was good for the judges. Allison was her usual self which was okay. Anoop was good. I enjoyed his melodious voice and I can say he has improved. My favorite singer is Lil Rounds. He has a great voice, however, she has not met her potential. I believe she could add a little spice to her singing. I think she did okay last night and I would like to see her stay in the competition. I do want to encourage Lil.... She has a great voice. I hope she will make it out there. I believe the high expectations that people have of her has not come forth as it should, but overall, she has the best voice and I like her. I hope she makes through to the next round. There were 3-4 others that had the "karaoke" sound as well. Let's be fair to all the contestants.

April 15, 2009 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  78. Annette

First and foremost lets get the race card out of the way. Simon does not dislike Lil because of her race, there has been many black singers on the show that he liked. He loved Fantasia. The issue with Lil is her ego, she thinks she is much better than she really is and does not take constructive comments well at all. If she would take herself off that pesdestal she is on and listen to the judges she would do much better. Shr compares herself with people like Fantasia, Whitney and Tina and unfortunately for her she can not live up to any of them. So for the betterment of everyone especially the viewing audience she should go.

April 15, 2009 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  79. Dot Pearl

I hate it the fact that the judges comments were supressed. I want to hear what both Simon and Randy have to say!!! Why did they have to add a fourth judge anyway?

April 15, 2009 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  80. Mary Bonds

I think Lil Rounds is great – she has so much more class than that tacky girl with the dyed red hair!!! I hope she stays around.

April 15, 2009 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  81. Susan

Lil's turn to go home. She sounded off key at points in the song and she is just not what she started out to be. Good luck to you Lil

April 15, 2009 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  82. Linda

I am really tired of her attitude, she is not as good as she was at first, maybe keeps picking the wrong songs, but she never takes criticism well. I had thought she would be one of the top 3 at first, but not any longer. Time for her to go.

April 15, 2009 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  83. Weezie

To Happy101;

I don't think it has anything to do with color. I just think that Lil Rounds refuses to listen. Simon is very good at what he does, so let's not use race as a reason for her failure. She's not taking the advice that the judges are giving her, and to be truthful, she's not performing the way she did when she first auditioned. If she doesn't want advice, she should go home. And by the way, I'm a woman of color, but I also think it's time she went home. Remember the saying " A hard head makes a soft A–!" That's her!

April 15, 2009 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  84. CD

As someone in the music business, Lil has a very average R&B/Gospel singing voice. Add in the fact that she is not very skilled creatively and it makes her even more average. The judges have been trying to coax her to put her own artistic spin on her song choices each week and the results haven't been very good. Last night was certainly the wrong song choice, however, more telling was her attempt to arrange and create her own artistic influence on the song by simply splitting it into a 50/50 rendition of the standard version in the first half mixed with disjointed split to a straight R&B/Gospel second half. She doesn't appear to have the ability to weave her creative influences throughout a song like some of the other contestants.

April 15, 2009 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  85. DC

her attitude is worse then her singing...please Lil go home

April 15, 2009 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  86. Wendy

Darn I expected soooooooooooo much more! Terrible song from beginning to end. This girl is so talented and did not show it tonight. Too bad!

April 15, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  87. Debbie

I'm afraid I agree. You let the one female on the show – one who is much younger, but much more wanting of the top prize – show the world she knew what songs to pick to highlight her best talents. Woefully, you didn't want the top prize badly enough.

April 15, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  88. Ro

I like Lil, however she is still choosing the wrong songs. The girl has talent, however it is not showing through the songs she picks. The reason why she will be going home is because of the wrong song choice. Someone will sign her to a record label though.

April 15, 2009 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  89. Juanita

I work with a non-profit organization that gives arts educational opportunities to children in an urban area. What we find is that there are a lot of kids who get the solo week after week in their church choirs, but that doesn't make you a singer or an artist. I think that is Lil's problem. She's got wonderful raw talent, but she obviously hasn't had vocal lessons or coaching. She has poor control, her lower register is weak and she sings from her chest and not her diaphragm. Lessons would do wonders for a person with pipes like hers. She also lacks the ability to make a song her own. Coaching helps with that issue. I blame her for not doing what she needed to do to perfect her skill once she found out she was even going to Hollywood. Instead of reaching out for education, she chose to rest on her raw talent. This year, that's not enough.

April 15, 2009 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  90. Kim

She did a great job this time! It is hard for people and Simon to see that after weeks of being disappointed but it is easy for everyone to jump on the band wagon of doom. I won't be surprised if Simon apologizes after watching the show later. Then again, from the way Simon is portrayed or portrays himself to the media, I won't be surprised if he doesn't. Every contemporary black female doesn't have to sing all Mary J Blige songs, there is only one Mary J. Blige too.

April 15, 2009 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  91. Bledwith

Lil has gone from bad to worse. I do not know why the four judges cannot voice their opinion. Why to many commercials and they need to drop some of them out. Money, money is the name of the game. Plus the newest judge needs to be kicked off the show. She is such a lame brain and brings nothing to the show period. She is the biggest waste of time in my opinion. Let's go back to the 3 judges, we did not have a time problem before. Plus, now we do not have time to watch the judges tease around with one another. This was part of the show we all enjoyed. So get rid of the new judge and some commercials.

April 15, 2009 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  92. Marie

Hey Earl leave the race card at home I am so sick and tired of people using the race card.

April 15, 2009 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  93. Crazy

Hi Lil,
    You should listen to the judges' comments. I really like you when I saw you in the edition, but since you are in the top 13, you always "mouth off" with the judges. Since then I didn't like you anymore, and actually every Wednesday I just hope that you are eliminated. I know it will be tonight so I don't have to watch you every Tuesday.
    You are so cocky.
    Sorry

April 15, 2009 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  94. Marie

She has been off key and just plain bad every week, she needs to go.

April 15, 2009 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  95. Earl

Lil is the best voice this season. It is obvious that the show is racist. The NAACP needs to step in and address this issue. There better be an African American winner this season or next. Otherwise, you better believe there will be one heck of a backlash.

April 15, 2009 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  96. M-J

I think that Lil got lost into her new look and she forgot why she was there in the first place !

April 15, 2009 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  97. Princey

I'm a woman of color and I have to disagree with Happy101. I actually have noticed that Simon really likes soul voices whatever the color of the person. That said, Lil is a singer not an artist and she sounds good but chooses lousy songs. I do think that she makes them her own but as the contestants are growing she's falling out of her league.

April 15, 2009 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  98. JohnQPublic

Ani....are you kidding? 8 seasons of Idol finalists and you can name only 2 people of color? I'll add Jennifer Hudson....seems a little interesting to me....Simon? Care to comment? The facts probably don't lie...

April 15, 2009 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  99. alexandra

She hasn't lived up to her potential even once since the final shows began. Not once. It is way past time for her to go home. She's obviously not as talented as everyone thought she was from the initial auditions.

April 15, 2009 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  100. Rai

Happy 101 – take a great big swig of a nice fosty glass of shut the hell up!!!
    Simon just loaned Fantasia loads of money to bail her out of a hell of a financial crisis!!!!! To call him racist (which is what you implied in your post) is sick! Rounds – sounds like a Whitney impersonater each and every week! Yes she is good, but there are tons and tons of singers out there that are good – just like she is! And, to argue with Simon on live tv about his feedback showed NO GRACE what so ever! Lil took an iconic song and JACKED it THE HELL UP!!!! Rounds is not even in the league of singing BACK UP for Bette Middler!!!! Lil does not have the courage to break away from what she is comfortable singing – and that is all that simon is saying!!! I think just for her attitude alone she should go tonight!!!! look at the other contestants – they take the feed back and move on and improve – Look at Anoop!!!! He gets scuffed up and then comes back BETTER and STRONGER each week. Rounds takes things personally and whines – this is the SECOND time she has done this ( remember country week) On top of being a cruise boat/Vegas lounge singer she is straight out unprofessional!!!! Bubye Rounds!!!!! here are some tissues!!!!

April 15, 2009 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  101. YEC

Lil has a great voice, and I think that she will find a place in the music industry. That being said, I had a really hard time sitting through her performance last night because I HATE this song. The thing is, I don't know if I could have come up with a better suggestion. "Goldfinger," maybe.

April 15, 2009 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  102. Bren

Lil is a good singer, but she's nothing special. She's certainly not an idol.

April 15, 2009 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  103. CMD

I am not sure who is advising Lil. It's seems to me that she is more intrusted in reinventing her look each week and not her singing. Lil if you surive this week, do yourself a much needed favor and go back and review Fantasia from Idol 3 and see how she reinvented herself each wk. and became a stronger and confident singer.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

April 15, 2009 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  104. lori

very tired of lil'. nothing unique about her voice – can hear the same thing on any given Sunday

April 15, 2009 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  105. Yoli

I have been waiting week after week for Lil to let her light shine through. After last night, I do not think that will ever happen. What's happening Lil? You were so fresh, so prominent during the auditions. The last few weeks you've been so lackluster that I fast forward after the first few bars of your song. As Simon Cowell would say, "Your singing performance is forgettable." I wish you well sweetie.

April 15, 2009 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  106. Bob

Happy101, you've got to be kidding me. Lil has stunk it up every week since Top 12. Can't think of anything constructive so out comes the race card!

FYI – Simon has repeatedly said that Fantasia has been his favorite female AI contestant so you're gonna have to sing a new tune.

April 15, 2009 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  107. molly shepherd

Yo' Happy 101: It would not matter if she were purple or green, she simply sucks as a singer. Screechy + screamy doesn't = talent.
    She needs to go home to the rugrats.

April 15, 2009 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  108. Mike

It has nothing to do with race or color, Lil is just not very good period. Being able to sing and knowing how to sing are not the same thing. Plus, she has no confidence at all when performing. She is just too nervous. Have you seem Adam Lambert lately? He brought down the house with every performance.

April 15, 2009 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
  109. liljohn

lil your doing a great job keep it up, i think the judges do not know what they want far as idol. and to ani you need to be quit and sit down because your do not know whats going on.

April 15, 2009 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
  110. Farid Ahmad

I think Lil is suffering from a burn out effect otherwise she is the best vocalist in the whole lot.
    It time for her to mend her ways or she will be out this week

April 15, 2009 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  111. nigel

well 4 1 im pissed cuz the show was rushed........umm wil lil go home.... prolly but im hoping she is safe........ she has so much potential but you cant keep voting her on potential....... so now im going for allison..........
    lil if you stay.....ill support you but idk

April 15, 2009 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  112. Travis

I agree, I'm in the same boat.

Tonight was make it or break it with Lil and quite frankly, she needs to go because I feel like she's just wasting everyones time on the show :-\

April 15, 2009 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
  113. Surfgirl

She definitely has the right to say something. However, she didn't sing well tonight. As a matter of fact, she hasn't performed since Week One. Enough the talk, show us the chops! How did she get to hang around for a long time and even hit Bottom 3 each week is really beyond me. Where's Ricky Brady, Jesse Langseth, Felicia Barton, or Kristen McNamara!!!

April 15, 2009 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  114. Surfgirl

God, she murdered the song. The 2nd part was especially astrocious.

April 15, 2009 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  115. ????????

Im thanking the ones thats standing up for lil rounds in here shes going to need it now.=)

April 15, 2009 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  116. Dorothy

I don't understand the judges, especially Simon. They al,ways tell the contestants to take a song and make it their own...and when Lil did it tonight, Simon took issue. I don't get it

April 15, 2009 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  117. granny

Lil started the season strong but tonight she butchered her song and I couldn't wait for the misery to be overwith. It's too bad that she just can't seem to pick the right song and right arrangement because she does have a powerful voice. I think she'll be the one to go home this week.

April 15, 2009 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  118. ????????

Welll than im tone deaf when it comes done to lil!, I personly feel that moste of you in hear but some isn't giving her a chance . it is very dificult to sing in front of millions of people and especialy in front of a crazy judge like simon's goofie self, he may have liked her from the beginning but when he gets tired of seeing certan people he down talks them no matter weather there good or bad, so if i was in her shoes i sing like crap to, if everything i sing dose not fit me. the judges need to stop comparing these singers to people like whitney huston and mariah carry and other big time celebs, lil is lil and thats the way God made her not to be some one els. The girl can sing everyone has there bad days.

April 15, 2009 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  119. 2Relaxed

She should of already been gone. She wanted to add R&B to Bette Midler, where the hell was it. She sounded like my 6 year old daughter trying to figure out how to sing. She has to go!!!!

Rock on Allison and Adam!

April 15, 2009 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  120. Alice Ribbons

I like her, but she's been sucking lately.

April 15, 2009 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  121. Joan

Lil will probably go home based upon tonight's performance. She has turned into a singer of old fashioned songs. Nothing current. Nothing exciting!

April 15, 2009 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  122. A

After the first six performances, I honestly thought that tonight was finally going to be the night in which it would have been difficult to figure out who would be voted off. But then Lil gave (yet again) a disappointing performance. She will surely leave tomorrow night.

April 15, 2009 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  123. trish

Lil the pill definitely has an attitude problem, big time! I'd like to see how she'd conduct herself in a recording studio when things aren't going right. With her big flapping jaws, she would be a real piece of work! I hope she gets the boot this week. She should have been gone a long time ago.

April 14, 2009 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Jeanie

Loved her from the first time I saw her but she's not getting any better and others a passing her by. Still like her but Allison just zoomed on past.

She isn't growing so she's likely going home.

April 14, 2009 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Happy101

Excuse me, Ani, I have been watching the show since its beginning. She (Rounds) has been picked on and I feel it is unfair. She has every right to express herself because she worked her bleep bleep off, yet it is not perfect to please Simon. Simon is not a good judge of talent, and let's face it, she is not going to do that phony pop image.

She does not need Idol because I can see that she is hated, even by America. And most of the comments shows that. Why don't everyone give her a little slack here.

April 14, 2009 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Darcie

I've watched Idol since the beginning and as for Simon, he has always shown favoritism TO the women of color, so there's no issue there. Just about all the female artists he has signed and made stars have been women of color. But on to Lil ... she was once again horrible tonight .... terribly offkey and flat throughout most of the song. She just doesn't get it, she has no idea who she is and her voice gets worse each week. A record label could never sign her because this poor woman has no idea what kind of artist she is and what kind of album she wants to make. She has a big voice but she was sooooo not ready for the spotlight. And the talking back? Amateurish and annoying.

April 14, 2009 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  127. dbed248

bye little rounds its time 7 horrible weeks

April 14, 2009 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Ani

Happy101, Is this the first time you watched idol? Fantasia? Ruben Studdard? She hasn't worked any harder thatn the rest! You gotta be up for the competition! No body likes a whinner.

April 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  129. gk

out of tune!

April 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  130. It'sMe!

She can't sing in key when she uses her lower registry.

April 14, 2009 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Happy101

Lil is the wrong color for this competion. She does not need Idol anyways because Simon does not like her–and he's not a good judge of talent anyways. I'm starting to think that she will go out, but someone will pick her up and Simon will have egg on his face, just like Jennifer Hudson. She has every right to criticize Simon because she worked her behind off.

I think Simon has something against those who of color who tries to do something out of their box.

April 14, 2009 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  132. JDK

Hopefully that was it for off key Lil. Sour notes from the beginning of the song. What was Randy, the judge, doing? Clapping his hands like it was the greatest thing he'd heard. Politics can't save her any more. She has proven that she is not a American Idol or any other Idol for that matter. Only thing she could do was that little bit of a song for an audition.

April 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Ani

She nedds to stop talking! I don't like it when they try to EXPLAIN their singing. The singing speaks for itself! Notice Adam, Kris, Matt, Danny or Alison doesn't try and critique the judges! There's so little time, just sing don't talk!

April 14, 2009 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  134. karuna

Time to go home, as one can only wait and look forward to something for so long. Trying to defend against judges comments is so uncool -that's why they are there and if you are paying attention, about 70% are only interested in Cowell's comments anyway and the other judges might as well yak on like Paula and no one cares!

April 14, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Caroline

Yikes-–it was out of tune in many places.

April 14, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  136. lisale

To tell you the truth Lil is the best singer this year... If she sing only R&B someone would complain if she sings safe songs they would complain.. It dose not really matter if she goes home Remember Jennifer Hudson OKAY now who has an Oscar/Grammy oh did I say OSCAR for a Movie Lil will be there..

Lil you did your thing tonight girl.. Simon is CRAZY as hell.............. But you did let Simon have it girl that's why you will be there next week girlie..

April 14, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Trish

Yup, she is going home tomorrow. No doubt about it.

April 14, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Judi

I don't even think she has sounded that good, not just her song choice but vocally, she just doesn't really have it.

April 14, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  139. jim

A better choice would have been "These Boots Are Made for Walking" because thats just what they are going to do.

April 14, 2009 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  140. SJ

I am not one to blog, but what the h- was Simon thinking? I LIKED Lil tonight! OK – she wasn't perfect, but she was light years ahead of every previous week & Definitely in the top half tonight!

April 14, 2009 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Brian

Lil murdered "The Rose". Gospel? Please......It's time for her to go home. She could have killed this song, and she blew it.

April 14, 2009 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Bob

Steph, if you think Lil sang great tonight then you are tone deaf. Lil is being criticized because she is not singing to her strengths, much the same way they criticize Matt when he tries to sing rock.

If Lil had stuck more to the Mary J style of music, she'd be getting kudos from the judges. She can't say she wasn't warned. They've warned her week after week after week.

She has noone to blame but herself if she goes home tomorrow night.

April 14, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  143. B

I thought it was between Lil and Anoop to go home but I think Lil has sealed her fate. She has been consistenly bad for the last few weeks. I think the judges do want the contestants to do something different but not something that sounds bad. This just wasn't good and I don't think she helped herself by mouthing off at Simon. I never like it when contestants do that and Lil seems to be the one who is doing it this year.

April 14, 2009 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  144. jas

Go Lil go!!! Go home that is!

April 14, 2009 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Scott

Bye, Bye Lil. The charade is over. You cannot sing. I don't care how much you argue with Simon. You don't belong on the stage anymore.

April 14, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Fragola

way out of tune. The Rose stunk

April 14, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Bob Smythe

Lame.

April 14, 2009 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Steph

I kinda have to agree with Lil tonight on this one. Everytime some else changes up a song they call it artistry when Lil does it there is nothing positive said. Simon has not said one good thing about any of her performances since the opening auditions. I personally would have loved to hear what Randy and Kara had to say about it. Come on people vote for Lil.... She is one of the best singers in the competition even if she has problems picking the right song, but tonight was great.

April 14, 2009 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Susan - Canada

I kind of feel sorry for these contestants.....it's hard too know what the judges are looking for....can never seem to please them. They tell them to make the song their own, but when they try to do so, they are criticized, etc. It's hard to know what they want....

April 14, 2009 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Sherry

It was bas boring and so not the Lil we once heard. Curtain has come down bye Lil.

April 14, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Paul

Yeah this was neither here nor there. I think the gospel idea was fine but she should have kept it there for the whole song. It came out disjointed and awkward.

April 14, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Kevin

Lil needs to go. That was just horrendously bad from start to finish. The Bette Midler version is one of the most beautiful, haunting melodies I've ever heard. The Lil Rounds version is something I hope to never hear again. Can Lil sing? Yes. She'd clean up in any karaoke competition. But when it comes to making a song her own, she's hopeless. She needs to go.

April 14, 2009 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  153. anthony

I think you got it wrong. I am soooooooooo glad she didn't do Whitney Houston. Everybody does Whitney. I thought she did a great job. It's very obvious the judges are planning favorites. Did you see the look on Randy's face after Kris did Once's "Falling Slowly". he looked mad as hell because he knew he nailed it. I very heard the song before but I love it know and must have it!

April 14, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  154. bob s.

not so good tonite Lil, sorry.

April 14, 2009 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  155. irmarie

I thought she did pretty good. Probably her best in the last few weeks, specially the gospel part. Simons critic was not fair and he seems to be fed up with her.

April 14, 2009 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Bob Smith

Tired of waiting for Lil to get her groove back. Time to go home darling.

April 14, 2009 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Gkygrl

Definitely a strange choice of a song. Her swan song I think.

April 14, 2009 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Jason

I really want to hear what Simon was going to say to Lil after she tried to defend her song. I'm a little mad at American Idol, they did the show an injustice rushing through the show.

April 14, 2009 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Bob S

Lil you closed the most boring episode of American Idol in true form. Boring. You're on your way HOME. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

April 14, 2009 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Shecky

She sucks.
    Why is she still in the running?

April 14, 2009 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  161. farrah

she needs some confidence, she is very talented but needs to learn more about stage presence and showmanship, not a star in my eyes just aveage.

April 14, 2009 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Renuka

It was just a bad choice for a voice that is so powerful and could do so much more. Too weird and all over the place..

April 14, 2009 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Wil

I agree with her being upset with Simon. She did her thing and in my opinion is one of the top three this season. I don't know why Simon never has anything good to say about her but the hating must stop. Yeah she's not blonde, but she can sing, and several people did worse today.

April 14, 2009 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  164. Chuck

Lil
    You are outta there your song choice should of been What I Did For Love. i.e. Kiss today goodbye

April 14, 2009 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Tina

Well, I hate when contestants talk back to the judges at any time. However, that being said, she should have stuck to the more gospel version she practiced with Quentin–it would have sounded better. I think I am going to have to revise my bottom three and put her in it. She's never really been one of my favorites anyway so I won't miss her.

April 14, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  166. RJ

It could've been SO much, SO much more...but it wasn't. It fell flat. Good singing, and I appreciate the Gospel version, BUT it sounded more like a Bette impersonator and NOT like her. I've been waiting and waiting on her to just let go and belt it all out, but she keeps falling short. If she does go, it won't be anything else but her ability to not meet her own expectations. But keep working.

April 14, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Chuck

I do believe Lil will be gone this week.

April 14, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |