April 8th, 2009

Top 8: Frankie Avalon?

Why is Paula Abdul wearing long, white gloves with a bracelet?

I don't get that chick.

The judges recap their thoughts on last night's performances, and there are no surprises.

Holy crap on a cracker, what is Frankie Avalon doing on the show?

He's sings "Venus," and I feel like I am in some sort of "Twilight Zone." Was he just brought on so we can learn that Simon will be 50?

Frankie is looking fine though.

« Previous entry
  1. wayne

I think the judges comments was well justified, however in my opinion the new judge (Kara DioGuardi) can go next season. I change channel when she speaks. On the other hand Simmon Cowell still has the most honest opinion and in the end of each show he is correct. The singers is year are the best in years and all could be winners. Great season....thanks FOX TV what a wonderful year.

April 22, 2009 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. wamerican

The "performance" by Flo Rida was one of the most degenerate thingsI have seen on prime time television in a long time.
    I cannot believe that those associated with this show would condone such bahavior. They should all be embarrased apologize and promise to never allow such a nasty, vulgar and rotten display to ever be broadcast.
    It's just plane sick and a good indication of what is wrong with this country. This is what we are feeding to our youth as good entertainment. No wonder we have no respect left in the world.

April 9, 2009 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Elliot

Chow Scott, hopefully alittle criticism will go along way for you in the future. You are good, but certainly not great. The song Adam sang on tuesday held my utmost attention from the beginning to the very end. Is he gay? It is difficult for me and many others who are straight to hear a love song sung by someone who is gay and try not to imagine that singer is actually thinking about another guy. I am sorry if the truth hurts, but I have to be honest. Adam is great in many ways and yes I would definately but a CD of his songs, especially the won he sung on tuesday if you can point me in the right direction. Thank-you, and we all know who will be the next American Idol; he deserves it!

April 9, 2009 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Richard

Alright Simon it's time to use the "SAVE" and bring Alexis Grace back as a wildcard.

April 9, 2009 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Dottie

Loved seeing Frankie on the show. He is still huge in Vegas. My favorite all time song is Venus. At 69 and with 9 children, he still looks great.

April 9, 2009 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. KJ

Adam is the best of the group.
    He is head and shoulders above the rest and the most consistant every week.
    The real race is for second place because Adam is on a level the rest cannot attain. You have him at 1 level and all the rest about the same.
    If Adam doesn't win then there is something drastically wrong with the system and this isnt a vocal talent contest but a popularity contest...

April 9, 2009 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. dane g

america got it right, no more feeling sorry for the blind guy. LIl will be next unless she out does Anoop. they are the next 2 on the chopping block.

April 9, 2009 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jan

I thought Paula's gloves were over the top too...and who is dressing some of the contestants this year? If they get to choose, please someone help them. But, it's not about the clothes...America got it right this week. Goofy as Paula seems sometimes, she was right too. Scott is an inspiration–he did a great job but this was really as far as he could go–he might have made a week or two longer than I expected. I wish him the best on the tour but NOW– on to finding a winner! I'm going with Adam, Allison and Danny for the top three but Allison, you have got to get your wardrobe and hair together. Little Rocker Chick can only go so far and you've got a good shot if you can make a few more friends in TV land.

April 9, 2009 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. Char

I get stuck watching this because my husband likes to torture me while I read. But I noticed this week and last that both Scott and Lil Kim should have been voted off. Lil Kim more than Scott. I'm not an idol expert but I thought it was supposed to be more than kareoke – when I realized it wasn't tina turner singing I knew then Kim should have been gone, gone, gone!

April 9, 2009 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  10. Holly

It did feel weird that Scott was kicked off the show. Flo did seem out of place. Who cares what Paula wears, she is a celebrity and is going to wear what she wants.

April 9, 2009 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. merri

Frankie Avalon was just AWFUL!! I left the room because I was embarassed for him. He has lost his voice. It kept cracking. Finally I changed channels.

Sombody PLEASE give Adam Lambert a recording contract NOW!! He needs to just move on out of this Am. Idol stuff. He will be a the top as soon as he is signed and makes that album with head shot photograph on the cover . His good looks are astounding, especially, his eyes. He is a total package. Hair and clothes are easy to change I would really like to see Allison at the top also. She is so young though. Her voice is so sultry for someone so young.

April 9, 2009 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sunny

Did anyone understand a word that Flo person sang/said last night?
    I imagine, like child-proof caps the only ones who got it was the kids. His back-up singer made some sense but that wasn't the type of entertainment we have come to expect on this show. Having said that I really enjoyed seeing Frankie again after so long so I am thinking it is a generational thing and I probably shouldn't be too critical of that first act.

April 9, 2009 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  13. rudolfo

Who really cares about this stupid show. I would rather watch the 'spin" cycle on my washing machine than watch this show.

April 9, 2009 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. Stu

I can't believe Scott lasted as long as he did. I was listening to his final performance thinking who in the world would sit around their house, or be driving in their car and want to listen to that voice on the radio, or a CD? Not me.

I agree with Don, Greg, Jeff and Erik about the criticism of Scott. He should have never been in the top 24.

I disagree with all the praise for Allison. She is young and I think she has a long way to go before she can be compared to Kelly Clarkson. She may very well get to that point, but she isn't there now.

I think Lil is very talented. I agree with many that she has trouble showcasing that talent. She needs to get better advice.

After listening to Adam week after week, I cannot imagine the rest of the group has trouble understanding that they are at a whole level below Adam. His singing and presentation skills will make him the biggest star to date from the Idol circuit. I think he can eventually rival someone like Freddie Mercury.

I disagree with Ron's comments about Paula. I think she absolutely belongs as a judge in this show. She is very relavent. I listened to Paula from the very start of her carreer(and always thought she was HOT). So she comes off a little loopy sometimes. It's Paula!

I just can't stand this Kara girl(who is she?). They should dump her and butter up to Paula next year. The show would just become bland without Paula(as it would without Randy or Simon) if she quits and we have to listen to Kara. Kara adds nothing for the viewer. Who did she sleep with to get on this show?

April 9, 2009 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  15. Z-man

Mercy vote could not sustain any longer, but I bow to the courage and talent he does have. Allison and Gorkey in a final showdown are still me original picks.

Avelon..get out of town one hit wonder, but great hairpiece.

Flo Rida.. no place for his gibberish on Idol. Couldn't understand one word from him, but the chick made it through when she sang "head spinning round when you go down down.."

Thy explaining that to your grandchild Paula, when you not in the airhead or medicated zone>

April 9, 2009 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  16. Amy

I really enjoyed Frankie Avalon and I think he should have come back and do some of his songs for the show. I would have rather heard him sing from the 50's and 60's then the RAPPER which you could even understand a word of the song. As for Paula's gloves what's up girl!

April 9, 2009 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  17. Dave

Yeah even Scott knew it was time as he said the night before "I wanted to show my versatility bfore I left" or something like that. He was good but certainly not great. I think that Anoop did awesome agin this week. He's been up and down. But what i really don't get is why Lil is still in it and why Allison keeps being in the bottom 3(although not this week).

April 9, 2009 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  18. Michelle

Danny should have been in the bottom three. His rendition of stand by me was horrible horrible horrible. its a classic song and he butchered it...i have never liked this guy...he has this i am so cool attitude and cool hes not. when is america going to wake up and get rid of this wannabe!

April 9, 2009 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  19. bernardo

Frankie really looks fine
    I hope they 'll bring Fabian!!!!

April 9, 2009 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  20. Wendy Hendel

I think the final 3 will be Adam, Danny and Allison. But if Adam does not win, there is definitely something wrong. His talent is beyond belief. He is not only the best singer this season, but I believe the best singer ever on American Idol.

April 9, 2009 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  21. Dennis Pence

As I read these comments, it makes me realize one thing – none of us have the same taste in music. Instruments play too loud, too much dancing and screaming, just way to "overboard" for me personally. When I was in school, a song was defined as "peotry set to music". Few accomplish that these days – everyone is trying to send their own message. What they want today is what sells,not what sounds good and pleasing to the ear. It seems like the louder the music, the nastier or disgusting the lyrics – the bigger the star. Maybe Don McClean had it right with the song "The Day the Music Died".

April 9, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  22. Kellie

Yes, America got it right! As nice as a guy Scott is, he was out of his league here. It was inevitable. The next few are going to be painful, though, because the rest of the people are all pretty good.

At then end will be danny and adam...who the number 3 turns out to be will be the bigger surprise, I think.

April 9, 2009 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  23. Jennifer F.

I really think that Lil Rounds should have gone home. She has not been good for the last several weeks and still she is has not been in the bottom 3 until last night. I know Scott would probably not have won this competition, but come on he has had better performances that Lil.

April 9, 2009 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  24. Adam

Remember when Paula told Scott that he should step away from the piano a few weeks ago?

Well, last night is the result of that comment. It is Paula's fault for Scott getting sent home after pressuring him to step away from his bread and butter behind the piano!

April 9, 2009 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  25. Connie

Scott had to go; it was inevitable. However, he truly became an American idol in the way that he presented himself. Obviously, he is disabled because of his sight deficiency, but he did not use that as a crutch. He was a strong competitor and demanded to be judged as every other competitor was judged. This, ultimately, led to his being voted off.

April 9, 2009 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  26. Linda Collyer

This is a judging contest.....basically, whatever the judges decide, sets the tone for the American people. Then WHY, do they leave the fate of this poor individual until the last 3 MINUTES of the SHOW???? Those judges should walk away at some point or be put in a sound proof booth so they can intelligently and calmly make a decision. This back and forth in front of 30 million people not to mention the poor contestant is ludicrious. This is pretty much the rest of his/her life. And then Mr. God of all talent shows gets to make the ultimate decision? OMG...so not fair. So, amateurish. Not watching...I am done...Had enough. .................................................NOT.

April 9, 2009 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  27. michael

I wonder if Scott saw it coming?............ Sorry but he sucks and i had to say it.

April 9, 2009 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  28. b t.

Frankie Avalon was great and looks awsome! Bring back those songs anytime. Forget the rap! Allison and Adam are moving ahead full speed and deserve to be there. Simon I don't care about your age your the greatest! Love all the judges!

April 9, 2009 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  29. tino

We dont need all the long profiles before the songs, we dont want to hear them sing part of the song before we see them doing it live, it takes away the suspence and excitement before they take the stage. We dont need to see them do a group performance ,its usually corney. Alittle profile, no presong,no group song and they can finish on time...I do like the bickering with the judges, but its getting obnoxious with Simon saying some thing negative to Paula everytime , and I mean everything she says, it is really disrespectful.
    Idol is a great show , but whoever is planning all this is doing a bad job....I could do a much better job ...stick to what you did the first season

April 9, 2009 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  30. MB

Frankie Avalon? C'mon now. I'm sure most of the people in the AI audience aren't even old enough to know who he is. That was another weird and unnecessary filler AI tends to use for their results shows. (I'm not even going to discuss that chick with the zipper over her eye last week.)
    Scott MacIntyre gave it his all and even though he didn't win, I still think he's going to come out ahead. If he needs profo of that, he can just look to last night's performer, Kelli Pickler, who seems to be doing alright for herself careerwise. (I actually liked him better without the piano or guitar last night. You really got to see him without any props.) I think Scott will be alright. Scott will be in good company of AI alumni who didn't win but are having a decent career in music anyway.

April 9, 2009 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  31. LiLa

What a treat to see Frankie Avalon last night. At 69, he looks fantastic!

April 9, 2009 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  32. Kim from NC

Not too hard to figure out from here. Next week will be Noop Dog or Lil. Then Matt will slide, then Chris..it'll be a toss up if Allison or Danny will be the runner up...but come on, if this show is really about the most talented artist, hands down, Adam, that boy is something.
    I really enjoy Idol, watching them all grow, but sick to death of Paula Abdul, she is a strange one. Like it or not, simon is the one who knows what he's talking about. The Kara chick was a bad add, she's as out there as Paula.

April 9, 2009 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  33. kat

Would any one once and for all shut Paula up or at least tell her politely to shorten her inputs to one or two words she doesn't make no sense with anything she says, ( I have to use mute button when she opens her mouth) and her dancing is disgusting too.

April 9, 2009 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  34. Julie

Well Simon did break up with his girlfriend, maybe he and Paula............

April 9, 2009 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  35. mike

Wow, Scott before Lil? She's horrible every week. Scott at least pours his heart into his music and makes an effort. Yet week after week Lil is told the same thing. And she never listens.

I knew that Scott wouldn't make it all the way, but he shouldn't have gone before Lil.

The group performances need to stop. Last night was horrible. I'm actually beginning to believe that they are lip singing every week because so many people always look off.

April 9, 2009 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  36. djb

The right guy went home this week. Comptetition's getting tighter and the closer you get to the finnish lline, the more weeds will be thinned out. My guess is that the Damion dude and the chick with the red Kool Aid hair will be the bottom two, with Damion winning.

April 9, 2009 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  37. Michele

One week Paula has a dead pigeon on her shoulder, and this week it was some fugley gloves! Can't wait to see what she's wearing from week to week! She manages to top herself in her own hideousness! I've wondered this year if perhaps there's more going on with Paula and Simon than we're aware of! They act like grade school kids who have a crush on each other but express it through teasing. Hate the new judge.

April 9, 2009 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  38. lula

Dear Lil,

Please, please get your act together. You can sing, you have presence and personality. Just choose a song the audience can appreciate!! Forget about what you like – this competition is not about that!! It is about satisfying the audience so they can like you and vote for you – when you win then maybe you can sing what you like! I think this is your last chance Lady Lil!

April 9, 2009 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
  39. Elle Nora

Hey, I liked Paula in the long gloves and a throw-back to the 50s and 60s and I loved seeing teen angel Frankie Avalon again. The dude is nearly 70 and looks pretty darn good. I thought it was a nice surprise.

April 9, 2009 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  40. Drew

They had Frankie Avalon show up to prove that you can be a one hit wonder and make a career out of it!! You can also make stupid cheesy movies and be a big star! It is supposed to give inspiration to the idols!! By the way, isn't Justin Guarini following in Frankie's footsteps?

April 9, 2009 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
  41. Ron

Scott should have gone well before now and in fact should have never been in the top 10. Paula has no business being a judge as she has zero objectivity and can't bring herself to make a decision. Kara isn't that far behind her either. Paula thinks she is still a teeny bopper with all that dancing and arm waving to me she looks ridiculous. Grow up Paula leave the judging to Simon and Randy.

April 9, 2009 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  42. ANN

Was Paula having a retro night or what??????? Her outfit was weird to say the least!!!

April 9, 2009 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
  43. Brian Elliott

Allison rocked it. If there is to be a chick in the final three she will be z
    vinner

April 9, 2009 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  44. Erik

It's sad to say, but Scott only made it as far as he did because of the sympathy vote. I'm sure he's a great guy and it is remarkable what he's done given the cards he was dealt, but he just wasn't any good. He shouldn't have even been in the top 24.
    What happened to Gokey's friend? He was better than half the people who are still remaining!

Sorry Scott, but singing ain't for you. Motivational speaking, maybe.

April 9, 2009 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  45. jeff

What a relief ! Scott and his wacky grin are finally gone !! There is a god !!!

April 9, 2009 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  46. Ron Mann

Adam wins, Danny second, Allison third if Lil don't bring it hard and heavy and fast.

April 9, 2009 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  47. Ronny

Kathy, leave poor Paula alone. She is at that age where everything is up and down harmonely and she is just trying to have as much fun with it as possible. She also wants to make sure she is back next year and we love her and hope she is back with the other 3 judges. It is an off and on crush that is so cute.

April 9, 2009 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  48. Ron Mann

Lil. you were going straight up light a shooting star and now you are falling, I'm so sad. Tear it up girlfreind and bring everything, don't let this slip away. Where we are now Adam will win that's a no brainer, Danny second and Allison third. Allison should be second but cant get to the peoples hearts to vote for her so Danny takes her second place trophy in the final.

April 9, 2009 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  49. Parker

Tonight was a first for me watching Idol. I actually cried seeing Scott go. He was so inspirational.

April 9, 2009 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  50. LHS

Scott made a bad choice with that song, but I give him credit for stepping out of his comfort zone to do it.

How people vote is too often based on one performance like that, or worse still – usually who they most like the way they look.

Based on actual talent and potential, Scott most definitely should not have gone home. He has everything he needs to become a solid quality artist with a long career. Everything except a record deal and a good agent.

Here's hoping that a smart label will scoop him up and groom him into a star, and that am honest agent/manager will sign him and protect him along the way.

April 9, 2009 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  51. Westcoaster

I really enjoyed seeing Frankie Avalon. I thought he looked great!

April 9, 2009 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  52. Khaunncey

So It will be me who will the comment that African Americans are pandering to Lil because she is black. How about all the young white girls flocking for the cute white Justin Timberlake-look-a-like-sound-a-like...or the hispanics flocking to the Kelly Clarkson knock-off or even all the Queen Shabam lovers voting for the the white male version of Patti Labelle/Axl Rose/ACDC style bitter. The judges criticize Lil last week for your remdention of Celin Dion's "I Surrender". For those true AI fans...if you youtube the first season and look at Kelly's version (and I uderstand that she lost her voice due to screaming and not properly singing), you could not say that Lil's version was ten times better and they did not but praise Kelly.

To sum it up...just like any competition in which the decision is left up to a voting audience, people are allowed and will continue to tap into their inherent biases to make their voting decision.

So we can stop the African American community from voting for Lil...
    the Hispanic Community for voting the rocker chick....
    Mainstream Suburban America from voting for the JT guy...
    and the Rainbow tribe from voting for...you know...that guy (maybe they like the sound a dude makes as if someone is crushing his huevos)

April 9, 2009 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  53. Ben

Flo Rida was definitely out of place and also in appropriate for all of America to watch. Today, was an odd odd show.

April 9, 2009 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  54. Greg

Its about time Scott went. He has an awful voice and, sadly, Simon was much less critical of Scott week in and week out, surely due to Scott's disability.

On a positive note, last nights Idol was by far the best night since the finals began. There were 4 very strong performances. Matt, Adam, Alyssa, and Anoop were all very creative and original. Idol needed those strong performances as this season was unfolding as very mediocre.

Kris was boring last night, Danny sounds the same every week, and Lil just hasn't figured out what to sing.

My top 7: Adam, Matt, Alyssa, Kris, Danny, Anoop, Lil.

April 9, 2009 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  55. Don

He was terrible. And he displays an attitude about being evaluated. Neither quality is Idol-worthy ... adios dude.

April 9, 2009 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  56. Pete

The one thing I keep hearing the contestants say after they are thwarted by the judges is "I was just trying to show my versatility." Blah blah blah. Who cares. Let's be real, musically is Beyonce versatile? Is Madonna? Is Britney? Is Miley? Hell to the no!!! Nobody cares about versatility in pop stars. They do what they do and we either like it or not. Lil Rounds is an R&B artist and she needs to stick to it. Chris Daughtry did and although he didn't win season 5, he outsold everyone from that season including the winner and the 2 runner ups. And he did it all by sticking to what his genre was... rock. I'm wondering if some of these contestants even bothered watching the shows past seasons. Scott (God love him) was the worst last week and America got it right and they most certainly got it right last week. Listening to Megan Joy massacre those songs week after week was excrusiating. I actually hit mute while she was performing most of the time. Don't let the door knob hit you on the way out Megan!

April 8, 2009 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  57. goldeneagle64

The competition is over Adam is the winner hands down. The new Elvis. Loved seeing Frankie Avalon, would love to see more of him on other venues. He looked great!

April 8, 2009 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Kelry

Anoop should have left way before Scott. Or even Lil...she was much better in the beginning of the season. Adam rocks, he should win.

April 8, 2009 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Lisa

Paula reminded me of the wedding costume that Madonna sported in her Like A Virgin video in 1986, maybe she was having a flashback too.

April 8, 2009 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Mary Lou

Well folks, personally, I think Lil has a great talent. No, she has not been original and she seems to have lost her sassiness. But she is the only African American contestant and I'm sorry, but I'm sure she's getting a lot of votes just because of that. She was an early front runner but doesn't seem to get what the judges are looking for. ARTISTRY!

April 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  61. SD Fan

I am sorry that Scott left, even though I know it was time. He is truely an inspiration! To have gotten as far as he did is amazing and test of his character. I only wish him the best.

April 8, 2009 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  62. AtIantic Islander

Yes, Scott should go, but it should have been Lil and before tonight, so how she's safe before Anoop beats me and a TON of people.... who's voting for this woman? She is not even a good singer.

April 8, 2009 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Kathy

Why is Paula hanging all over Simon this year? She can't keep her hands off him.

April 8, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Steve

Not getting the gloves at all...what the hell??? lol

April 8, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |