April 7th, 2009

Top 8: Matt Giraud takes a part-time love

Matt knows he is dead wrong for that Justin Timberlake hat!

Matt Giraud

He performs Stevie Wonder's "Part-Time Lover," and I guess I should have been blown away, especially since I am a huge Justin Timberlake fan and that seemed to be who he was channeling with the high notes, moves and the brim.

It was good, but not incredible like I feel his voice is capable of given his range. And it seemed like he was trying too hard to really work it out with a little movement.

I swear I thought he was going to do a Michael Jackson back leg cross and toss of the hat to the side. Just be you Matt.

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Brandi

Good for you Matt. So glad you made it this far. Keep going till the end.......
    You got my vote each and every time. Like Kara and Paula said, UNBELIEVEABLE AND STANDING O !!!

April 8, 2009 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jaime

Matt is my favorite. I thought he looked extremely comfortable last night and was in his element. I like knowing that he wants to sing rock, but this is his bread and butter right where he's at. He's got moves too. Yum. I don't get the Justin comparison. Chris Richardson, yes. Matt, no...more like Michael Buble. Would love to hear him sing Lost.

April 8, 2009 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Carl

Matt gets worse every week, can't wait until he's gone.

April 8, 2009 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Brandi

Thank Liz for the comment and totally agree with you even if I don't know him personally like you. Also, whoever commented about the hat, I think he did it to please the judges cause some of them are so hard on him and also refer to him as Justin Timberlake which I never did get. Let Matt, be Matt and he'll do fine. I also liked his little swagger with his coat. He can be my part-time lover anytime. lol Oh, idoltree, your third eye comment isn't even funny. What does that have to do with anything. Go Matt ,Go to the final 2!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2009 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Micah

Matt is outstanding!!!!!! The performace was ok, but ALOT better than his previous ones. Matt I am fully on your side. I HATE Adam Lambert and basically everyone else. People do not understand how talented he is on the piano and his vocals.

April 8, 2009 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lisa

He is one of my favorites, would love to hear him try some Michael Buble or Harry Connick Jr.....(PLEASE)......to really showcase that talent................maybe not so much of Justin.........but great job.....Way to go Matt..!...(I did like that hat....)....go for the sex appeal...Amp it up dude....!

April 8, 2009 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Heather

matt was fantastic! all three judges thought so and i hope his wonderful performance gets him out of the bottom three tonight. bottom three should be scott, lil and anoop. even though anoop did good, i dont think he is good enough.

April 8, 2009 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Linda Connor

Matt is absolutely one of my favorites this year. He did a great job last night bringing back the soulfulness of his voice. He definately moved up a couple points this week.

April 8, 2009 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cindy

Absolutly, without a doubt GREAT! I can't help but love his performance last night.... he know how to move and man oh man does he remind me of Justin Timberlake... He IS an "American Idol" already... get him a record deal and start making songs!!

April 8, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tom

Matt is my favorite. He has real soul to his voice and deserves extra points for actually being a talented musician to boot. He's one of the only singers left who's CD I would definitely buy.

April 8, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Liz

I know Matt personally, we went to college together and worked together. He is an amazing talented, unique individual. He has never tried to be anyone other than himself. The only reason viewers are reminded of other great performers is because Matt is one of them. He has dressed this way since freshmen year...it is so strange that ppl are saying he is trying to be like someone else. He does like to imitate range, but his imitation of range is amazing, he can hit just about every note. He is an individual in a sense that you cannot put him in one category, his talent is not one dimensional. Once he finally gets to sing a song that is his own America will see him as an individiual. Great Job Matt. You make Kalamazoo proud and keep being you.

April 8, 2009 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. UPMI4U

I think Matt did a FANTASTIC job last night. I agree..he has not been given enough credit from the judges or the media. You go Matt! You have talent!

April 8, 2009 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. idoltree

He was hiding his third eye on his forehead with that hat.

April 8, 2009 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ivy

Love Matt, but that song is just unfortunate. Hated it when it was a hit, and it hasn't improved. If someone else could pick the songs for him, he could rival Adam and Alison, his only competition.

April 8, 2009 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Yolee

He reminds me of Kenny Latimore. One of my favorite singers.

He looked so nice last night- the hat was a very nice touch.

The judges did not say anything about that either.

He did a great job.

April 8, 2009 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Lisa

I really like Matt, and I think he deserves a spot in the finals.... I would like to see him and Danny as the final 2. I am sorry, but I just can't stand Adam.. Maybe if I didn't have to look at him it would be better.. the gothic thing scares me

April 8, 2009 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sarah

I couldn't even listen to Matt, not because of his voice but because of his I'm-dressing-as-Justin-Timberlake-for-Halloween. Again! Once he gets his own look, I'll be able to take him seriously. Until then, I can consider him strictly a wannabe.

April 8, 2009 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Alesia in Missouri

Matt you did great!!!!!! I'm rooting for you!

April 8, 2009 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Ann

Matt's performance was one of my top 3's last night. He and Danny have similar styles, but I think Matt is better and has a nicer personality and stage presence to boot. I think the consensus is that Adam and Danny will be the last two standing, but I'd rather see Adam and Matt the last two standing. I wish the judges would quit sucking up to Danny, and give Matt some of that love.

April 8, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. EB

I hope Matt doesn't pout if he's chosen to be in the bottom 3 again. it's pretty clear that the voters think he's OK, but not super. Luckily Scott stunk up the joint so badly (as did Lil) that they'll finish 8-7 this week, giving Matt another chance to redeem himself.

April 8, 2009 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  21. janelle

He's the dark horse this season for sure!!!!!!!!! Excellent job last night!!!

April 8, 2009 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Winston

Being a big Stevie Wonder fan I thought he took a risk picking one of his songs, but Matt proved me wrong and hit a GRAND SLAM with Part Time Lover!!!

April 8, 2009 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Mille Bea

I thought it was awful- and the Justin Timberlake hat did not help. There were pacing problems, flat notes, pauses where should not have been pauses. He can sing- it just wasn't the best I have heard from him by a long shot.

April 8, 2009 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  24. debbie

By far, best of the night!!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Grace

Matt was FANTASTIC – I usually root for Danny but tonight MATT was the BEST!!! I had tears in my eyes!!!!

April 8, 2009 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Wendy

This guy has talent! Amazing performance! Number #2 as an Idol???

April 8, 2009 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  27. Brittney

I just love Matt. Since hearing his GORGEOUS voice in Hollywood week, he is just great! I love when he sticks to more R&B and Soul songs. His voice is just AWESOME! And last night we were rocking out to his Stevie rendition. It was great!

April 8, 2009 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  28. Eneri Rose

How can this guy go on camera, or for that matter go out in public, with that horn on his forehead! I don't hear him sing, I just stare at that thing.

April 8, 2009 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  29. Marti

Sorry I meant top 3.....

April 8, 2009 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  30. Marti

I just don't get the big deal about Matt. He's not the best by far. He hits alot of off notes and the Mariah Carey runs have to go. I hope to see Adam and Allison and Kris go to the bottom 3.

April 8, 2009 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  31. James

Best performance of the night. He does what he is good at and he doesn't go over the top either (eh um Adam).

April 8, 2009 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  32. mike

Sorry, I didn't get this performance at all, I thought it was pretty bad!

April 8, 2009 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  33. Rosie

Matt is becoming my favorite. I think he did a fantastic job.

April 8, 2009 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  34. Penny Lane

I thought Matt did just fine. No bottom 3 for him tonight.

April 8, 2009 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  35. natalie

I think he is definately a top contender. Though i believe he does not deserve enough credit from the media. They always seem to forget him and it is such a shame because he is a great performer. Lets go MAttyyyyyyyyy

April 8, 2009 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  36. Tiffany

Go Matt!!! I thought he was great tonight.

April 8, 2009 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  37. Jeff

I think Matt has a great voice but tonights perfomance sucked. It was indulgent with rifts all over the place. The narcissistic youth of today probably loved it but I found it bordering on painful. Where is the soulful sound? Lucky for Matt that Lil and Scott are still around to be voted off before him.

April 8, 2009 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
  38. P J

Not very impressive for me.

April 8, 2009 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  39. Cindy

Matt's voice has always been strong. A few times I thought the judges didn't get it right when they blew him off. He's got a great voice and he gives a great performance. He has a presence that will improve as he gets older. I love this guy.

April 8, 2009 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  40. Kathy

Matt would be great doing a Robin Thicke song – he is totally suited for it! what is next week's theme??

ps – adam is overrated and everyone needs to get over him, puhleeeeeeeeese!

April 8, 2009 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  41. twill

I don't know, i'm just not feeling matt he is really too typical. If i wanted to listen to Justin Timberlake than i'd buy a Justin Timberlake cd.

April 8, 2009 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  42. aurora

Great performance tonight, Matt!!

April 8, 2009 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  43. Brandi

A little jealous there Dave, are we? If we need to point out face blemishes, check out Adams. I agree with Lynn, Matt was trying to be remembered. Week after week he does get scrutinized for no good reason. He's just taking the judges advise so he will be remembered. The way they over praise Adam, what are the other contestants suppose to do? Great job tonight Matt ,as always!!!!! Final 2.

April 7, 2009 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Thea

Matt you are a great singer. I would advise you try some harry connick jr. and michael buble. People would be surprised and delighted

April 7, 2009 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Linda

Here's hoping the top 3 will be Adam, Allison and Matt!!! I Love him!

April 7, 2009 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Rob the film critic

This guy has real talent.!

April 7, 2009 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Mercy Me

Dave in Altmar... laughed out loud at your comment. It made me concentrate for once on Matt's voice... and I don't get all the praise. He may sing well, but there's nothing distinctive about his voice.

April 7, 2009 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Angel

Loved it....He was one of my favorite

April 7, 2009 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Ken

Matt's performance tonight was stellar. I think as long as he stays with the Robin Thicke/Justin Timberlake sound, he's a winner. He definitely has a sound that I would love to hear in an entire album. I don't, however, understand the love affair of Adam. He sounds like Mark Wahlberg in the 80's rocker movie. And Danny is Taylor HIcks part deux. Bottom three tonight: Lil Rounds, Scott and Danny.

April 7, 2009 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Stephen in Grafon

Has anybody here (except Texas) heard the original? This performance was weak. I don't understand why the judges were gushing so much for it. Guess you had to be there.

April 7, 2009 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Lynn

Matt's the man!!!! I agree that as far as overall talent goes, he's the winner.

April 7, 2009 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  52. lfy

Loved Matt's performance! I hope to see him in the finals. He's got crazy skills.

April 7, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  53. susan

What is matt's number please? I don't have access to it right.

April 7, 2009 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Dave in Altmar

Obviously, the hat was to cover Matt's overtly distracting Third Eye...

April 7, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Texas

I don't get it. I thought this performance was all over the place, wobbled in some low notes, grated on some high notes, and rushed around in other spots. I like Matt in general, so I want to see him stay on the show, but everyone loved this performance, and I thought it was one of his weaker moments!

April 7, 2009 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Trina

Matt is the "big surprise"! This is really a good show this year. Wow.

April 7, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Oliver

Great!

April 7, 2009 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Eileen

Matt's got a great voice, and is a really likable guy. Thought he carried the hat well and looked natural in it.

April 7, 2009 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Idan

Isn't anyone voting for Matt? I just redialed and voted 30 times and only had 4 or 5 "we're sorry's". He'll never win like that! Come on vote for MATT!!!!

April 7, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Amy

Matt did a nice interpretation and showed lots of personality, but I'm sorry, he was really pitchy. I was disappointed because I usually really like Matt. So I was amazed by the raves from the judges. I went back and watched the performance again, and cringed again at the same places. Maybe the judges couldn't hear over the crowd noise?

April 7, 2009 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  61. tom

That was great! Loved it.....I think Matt was best tonight....followed by Adam then Allison! That is the top three right there! It is going to be a dog race from there!

April 7, 2009 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  62. watch'n n wait'n

Great job!

April 7, 2009 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Scott

Matt is the coolest guy up there, and the most likeable for me. He really can sing a lot better than I thought he could in the beginning. He sounded great tonight! I mean if you can do Stevie Wonder you are the best!

April 7, 2009 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Renuka

Well, I don't think he'll be in the Bottom 3 tomorrow night!

April 7, 2009 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Snowball

I'm a huge Matt fan, but omigod that hat sucks. He's got to get serious about showing some sex appeal and a little flirting ala David Cook if he wants to last to the finals.

April 7, 2009 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  66. RJ

That was one of the best of the night. Matt is great. He found his niche with this song and it was GREAT!

Go Matt.

April 7, 2009 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Sadie

Hands down.... best of the night!!!!!!!!!!!

April 7, 2009 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Caroline

The show ran overtime, so if your DVR wasn't programmed to go 5 or 10 minutes past 8:00, then you missed Adam because he was last.

April 7, 2009 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  69. JAC

Matt is, BY FAR, the most talented individual on the show. He really is amazing and surpasses all of the other contestants by miles of talent.

April 7, 2009 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  70. rek

Matt is a very strong contender. He had a very solid performance tonight. America! do not forget to vote tonight.

April 7, 2009 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Lynn

Perhaps the reason Matt is "trying too hard" (your words) is because he's being unduly scrutinized week after week! I think there's no question he is the most talented all around performer to grace the Idol stages. I don't know why Simon is tripping all over himself to give Adam the advantage. . He's good.. but not that good. I see Matt soaring on the pop charts.

Bring it home, Matt!

April 7, 2009 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  72. James Robert

Did my DVR mess up or did I totally miss Adam tonight? Didn't he make it on the show?

April 7, 2009 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  73. JAS

I hink he is one of the best (when he picks the right song).

April 7, 2009 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Carol

MATT!! that was hot.....great job!!!

April 7, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  75. beth r

oh bob!

April 7, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Paul

Thought it was pretty good.

April 7, 2009 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Bob S

Welcome back, Matt. I've missed you.

April 7, 2009 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |