April 7th, 2009

Top 8: Anoop Desai shows his true colors

I knew Anoop was going to give a shout-out to the Tar Heels!

Anoop Desai

Way to show that UNC love.

Anoop shares a birthday with David Cook, but does he share the chops?

He certainly doesn't share the fashion sense, 'cause that green striped sweater is  Peanuts character all the way.

Noop Dogg the balladeer has returned with "True Colors," and he's trying to work the crowd a little bit with the smoothness.

Hmmm. Not sure how I feel about this one.

His is one that I feel like I have to rewind the Tivo and see whether it was that good or whether it just was so much better than his dreadful turn last week singing Usher.

I did like that he apologized for coming off a bit salty at the judges' criticism last week. It was kind of classy.

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Dee Kaz

Thank you, Manda, you said it much better than I did.

April 8, 2009 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kd

Anoop who???

April 8, 2009 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Obaid Zia

I know that Anoop will get far, just not win.
    He has a great voice, and has his days, but he doesn't have enough drama to go with it. It feels empty, he has nothing that can make you catch your eye on a newspaper stand. With Allison, you have the age, the experience and the hair. With Lil' Rounds you have the kids and the fashion. With Adam you have the noticable "Adam-mi" voice and the hair and the style and his song choices. With Kris Allen you have the voice and his looks. Scott has the Piano and visual impairment problem (though, I am happy to say, the piano has stuck out, and the eye is forgettable.) Matt giraud has the rockstar look. Danny has his voice.

Anoop has no sob story, nothing to touch people's hearts. The only thing is is that now, me saying "Oh great, another Sanjaya" when he auditioned became completely Ironic!

He is great its just that he's.................uhhhhhhhhhh..........Boring. His songs aren't and his uptemp beat (personality wise) definately isn't.

Otherwise his bio is boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Sorry 'Noop Dog, you deserve to win, but some people can't see that.

April 8, 2009 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Manda

He only skirted around an apology. He never really apologized. I think he is arrogant. He can go home now, thanks.

April 8, 2009 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. A

Way to come back last night, Anoop.

April 8, 2009 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jackie

I think that Anoop is a wonderful talent and has a beautiful voice. He just needs to believe in himself more and be more improvisational with his melodies.

April 8, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dee Kaz

I could't agree more about Alexis Grace. She is better than half the people still in this competition. I missed her really bad last night! I think the only people the judges would use the JUDGE'S SAVE on is Adam, and maybe Allison.

April 8, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. B G

I think Anoop is sexy! His voice is absolutely amazing! He has one of the best voices in the competition. He has that special look that appeals to the young ladies, however, I think Kris Allen is stealing some of that from him.

April 8, 2009 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Carin

I really liked the way he sang his song. Overall, I like him.... but I'm never sure what to expect from his performances... it's really hit or miss with him

April 8, 2009 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lois

Cant stand to watch him, not and American Idol that is for sure.
    This year is the worst year. Thank goodness for Adam , too bad about Alexis Grace.

April 8, 2009 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. dont worry about it

Anoop is the BEST

April 8, 2009 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Alesia in Missouri

Anoop was one of my favorites but he has disappointed me in the last few weeks. He'll be in the bottom 3 tonight.

April 8, 2009 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. St

MUCH BETTER THAN THE OLD DANNY GUY. Danny cant sing! He screams with a voice that feels like some one stuck a frog in there! Comon!

April 8, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. maha22

i think Anoop is the BEST singer in the show.His voice is AWSOME,SOOTHING and BEAUTIFUL.No one in the has got such a beautiful voice.He know how to sing.

April 8, 2009 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rojo2000

Again Anoop proved that he has been the most boring contestant ever on the program. He may be able to get a contract recording elevator music for Otis.

April 8, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Geoff Garcia

I'm a huge Cyndi Lauper fan, and he did good, but I didn't think it was great. Last week I definitely felt he was a bit arrogant, but I thought he made up for it this week with the apology.

April 8, 2009 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Tony

Anoop was very good!! He has the best vocals. He definitely deserve to be in Top 5

April 8, 2009 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Pat

And, yes, he DOES come off as arrogant. Only child syndrome at it's finest

April 8, 2009 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Pat

Idk but this reminded me of Adam's Tracks of my Tears. I mean dont get me wrong he sang this beautifully. I just think the contestants are resorting to ballads as a sort of cop out. Unfortunately the bar is set high this season so they really have to step it up and start making songs their own, and don't just follow Adam's formula.

April 8, 2009 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Me

Didn't this dude just get killed off of House to join the Obama Admin?

April 8, 2009 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Mille Bea

Anoop does not have the potential to be a superstar.

April 8, 2009 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Rick

Go Noopy Go !!!

April 8, 2009 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  23. Eneri Rose

Anoop can sing, but he's boring. Way more boring than Allison. Earth to Simon!

April 8, 2009 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  24. Wendy

This was not a good performance for me and Anoop is such an amazing talent. Too bad! I do like him alot and hope he stays on!

April 8, 2009 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  25. Ann

Anoop needs to go home, thank goodness Meagan finally left. So American, let's please send Anoop....

April 8, 2009 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  26. BR

Anoop,

You need to definitely change your dressing. It looks too boaring. You have a great vocal, you just need a little makeover to be likeable. You can do it.

The race is between you, Adam and Matt. You three have done variety of vocal performances. The others are good singers, but no variety and no uniqueness.

Best wishes!

April 8, 2009 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  27. Jan

I look forward to seeing Anoop perform, so I hope he lasts a couple of more weeks.

April 8, 2009 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  28. dlskoy

I loved the tone of Anoop's voice. I think he has some really beautiful moments and I'm glad he's been able to stay on as long as he is. I still think that Anoop hasn't been able to find his niche. Maybe he should look into the power ballad genre? Grogan, anyone?

April 8, 2009 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  29. Shy

Forgettable.

April 8, 2009 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  30. LILA

TIME TO STOP THE MUSIC.

April 8, 2009 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  31. Dee Kaz

He didn't apologize. He stated it wasn't classy or how he wanted to represent himself, but I was annoyed that he didn't outrage apologize. He's too arrogant and he's not talented enough to pull that off.

April 8, 2009 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  32. James

Anoop really does best when he does these slow ballady songs, this was a good week for him. He won't win it all but I'm so glad he has gotten this far.

April 8, 2009 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  33. mrswatson

Anoop started off as my favorite, but mainly for the youtube vids w/the UNC ClefHangers I watched. Based on that, I KNOW he hasn't shown it all on Idol yet...maybe too little too late. With that said, Lil should go home. Anoop may finish 6th or 7th.

April 8, 2009 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  34. Roger

Great Performance Anoop. You will be in top 5.

April 8, 2009 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  35. Nancy

Too arrogant,

April 8, 2009 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  36. Amanda

His sweaters remind me of Mr. Rodgers.

April 8, 2009 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  37. shagun

i think anoop is awesome. the way that he sings, i just love him. he is my body. he has to be an american idol.

April 8, 2009 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  38. Barbara

Anoop should continue. He is better than Lil, Scott and Kris. He won't win but would like to see him in the Top 5. I love his style. Very cool! You go Anoop!!

April 8, 2009 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  39. Swaroop

Go Anoop Go and you can be first desi American Idol

April 8, 2009 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  40. turnmac

Anoop is simply awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2009 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  41. Penny Lane

I thought Anoop did just fine. And apologizing–good for him. That's a Southern boy thing, y'all, and it means his parents did something right. I wonder if Matt and Anoop had any friendly wagers during that final NCAA game? Just curious.

April 8, 2009 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  42. Caitlin

Those eyebrows need to be tamed! Anoop is awesome, love his voice, but his fashion sense and inability to dance are his major pitfalls.

April 8, 2009 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  43. Anita

Anoop should continue, His vocals are great, smooth and soft. He can sing well. Dont take to heart what judges say, they just want u to do well next time. Take it in the right spirit. You rock dude........

April 8, 2009 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  44. MELLOKITTY420

Anoop has the best vocals by miles! adam is a good PERFORMER,Too bad he plays for the other team...lol,sorry girls, if you did'nt figure that one out his close friend/hairstylist confims this.

April 8, 2009 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  45. Chris Kirkpatrick

Anoop can sing a slow song. Big surprise. That has become the name of the game. Can't sing uptempo? Sit on a chair. I think he has realized his limitations in this competition, sorry to say.

April 8, 2009 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  46. P J

Looks like Ray Romano ,has his ups and downs but I don't see him winning.

April 8, 2009 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  47. Cindy

I've never been a big fan of Anoop. Something about him doesn't work for me. He has done some good songs for sure but his stature as a performer isn't strong. He also has had a couple of distasteful responses to the judges. It's hard to hold it back from Simon but I'm telling you; these contestants have to keep it locked inside. They gotta be stronger and have the guts for it.

April 8, 2009 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  48. aurora

Way to go, Anoop! I liked his version better than Cindy Lauper's. Anoop did deserve the praise tonight. He was much, much better than Danny Gokey, who again was flat but is never told about it. Go figure...

April 8, 2009 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  49. Lin

I liked him. Granted Matt, Allison, and Adam were far better but God knows Scott should be departing before you – and Lil too.

April 7, 2009 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  50. art

Anoop and "culture-less"? That smacks of racism.
    Yeah, this blog is culture less. Sure, he aint your all-american boy (cough) stereotype. But that's why i love him! Plus, he can sing without the histrionics! He comes from the land of Gandhi, so racism wont sit well with him, neither would kara's snippy comments!

April 7, 2009 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Riley

To be honest, I can't wait for this guy to go... I don't see what the big hype is about him – he's not that great, there are way better singers this season!

April 7, 2009 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  52. bridgette

Maybe I was watching the wrong show, but he didn 't deserve all of that praise. It was okay, nothing to brag on. It certainly wasn't a new arrangement or great singing.

April 7, 2009 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Ihab Mikati

Its clear that Anoop is the best. His vocal range is amazing. Plus, he is indian which just by itself puts him over the top.

April 7, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Madeline

see u later anoop 😉

April 7, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Oliver

It was great...for a singer on a cruise ship.

April 7, 2009 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Renuka

Anoop is BACK!!! And agree with Simon ... Anoop doesn't have to apologize for anything!

April 7, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Trina

Anoop can sang. He may not be the best! But ... he belongs here. I disagree with the haters ... he should NOT be sent home! Anoop ... do your thing, boo. Ain't nobody mad but the haters.

April 7, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  58. 007

You will when they show where his journey comes to an end tomorrow.

April 7, 2009 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Katey

way to call it when you're in the wrong. classy move by apologizing.

anoop should stay on for a bit longer....i'd love to see more of him 🙂

April 7, 2009 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Paul

The judges went overboard with the praise. It was only 'OK' .

April 7, 2009 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Mary

I think the Noop is cool and should continue on.

April 7, 2009 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  62. 007

bye anoop allison just sent ya back to the tar heel state.

April 7, 2009 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Kristie

He did well tonight. Do something about those eye brows!!!

April 7, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  64. tee

I love noop dog and UNC, but wasnt impressed with his performance tonight. surprisingly the judges saw otherwise.

April 7, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Fiona

This shows you how bad American Idol is tonight, that I am reduced to sitting with my lap top looking at cnn.com, come on people it has got to get better, ooops gotta go Allison just started singing , come on girl save the show tonight

April 7, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  66. K-dogg

Agreed! I go to the University of National Champions as well and was happy to see the shout out. I think he did pretty well – somewhat pitchy in a few parts – but compared to the others was great.

April 7, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Bob S

Anoop...you were good, not great. But, you get kudos for apologizing. There is nothing worse on this show then snotty, know it all contestants talking back to the judges.

April 7, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Grant R.

He's alright. But I think he is done. He can't beat Danny. Noop seems like another Chapel Hill-ian, who thinks they can do everything. He also doesn't fit the mold. He seems culture-less.

April 7, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Alyce

I kind of hate this blogger. Not funny. Not insightful. Usually not right.

April 7, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |