April 3rd, 2009

'Rain Man' hotel shuts down

CNN’s Larry Shaughnessy sends us the following news:

Cincinnati's Vernon Manor Hotel, once host to presidents, movie stars and rock legends, is permanently closing its doors.

The hotel, perhaps best known to fans of the movie "Rain Man," shut down "due to current market conditions," according to a statement on the hotel's Web site.

Aside from the stars of the Oscar-winning movie, the Vernon Manor's guests have included the Beatles, John F. Kennedy, Rosa Parks and Hall of Fame baseball manager Sparky Anderson.

It was also frequently used by families of patients of the numerous hospitals close by the Vernon Manor.

In the movie "Rain Man," Tom Cruise's character takes Dustin Hoffman's autistic savant character to the hotel while he fights for custody and a huge inheritance. It was at the Vernon Manor where the early scenes of the movie, where Cruise's character first learns the difficulty of caring for a person with autism.

A call to the hotel reached a recording that directs would-be visitors to a hotel in downtown Cincinnati.

Cincinnati's mayor told the Cincinnati Enquirer that he tried to prevent any attempt to tear down the hotel, modeled after a grand English manor.

The hotel first opened in 1924.

- From CNN’s Larry Shaughnessy

Filed under: Uncategorized

« Previous entry
  1. vickie

Thank you Joe for your response. That neighborhood is certainly not run down. The Vernon Manor, was a great addition to a vibrant neighborhood that is part of an important Medical complex and specialty medicall offices in that area. I will remember the grand hotel for the great mother's day brunches that we shared with my mother and aunts. It will be missed.

April 7, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. AprilB

I now live in Chattanooga, TN, but originally lived in Cincinnati for over 40 years. I will always remember that hotel as the place where people stayed when their family members were in the hospital that surround that area. It is sad to hear it is leaving. I own many movies that were filmed in CIncinnati (Rain Man being one of them) so I can see where I lived as I miss it terribly at times.

April 5, 2009 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. joe

The neighborhood in which the V. Manor is located is certainly not
    "...an otherwise-now-dismal neighborhood." There are updated and renovated properties in every direction that you look. The University hospital complex, a huge mostly new construction site is a center for health care, teaching and research. There are new construction condo developments and rental properties serving the health facilities as well as the educational centers. All of this is within walking distance of the grand Vernon Manor. Look again.

April 5, 2009 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Holly

I used to work down the street from Vernon Manor and hosted a fundraising event there. I'm so sad to today to hear the fate of the beautiful place. I agree that the neighborhood is run down and wished back then – 1998 – that someone would come in and give the area a boost. I guess it never happened. I moved away in 1998 and haven't been in that area since. If Cincy council isn't careful, the entire city is likely to implode. Perhaps the stimulus package can help get the nasty people out of the beautiful buildings and the Queen City and become her noble self again. But I doubt it.

April 4, 2009 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff

Someone with a grammar/spell check should edit these articles.

April 3, 2009 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Corey

It's sad to see it go, surprised to see it on CNN.

April 3, 2009 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. raj

I'm sure great hotels like Vernon Manor will not be closed for long time.With the support from city and neighborhood it will find a come back.Come on Vernon Manor you can do it.

April 3, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. julie

Such a sad thing to see this grand lady close. But she stuck out like a sore thumb in an otherwise-now-dismal neighborhood. The Vernon Manor will be missed here in Cincy.

April 3, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |