March 31st, 2009

Watch 'American Idol' with CNN.com

“American Idol” is down to nine. Tonight, the group will perform selections from some of the most digitally delectable songs available.

"Top downloads" is the show’s theme this week and we can’t wait to see who picks what to show off their vocal stylings – or lack thereof.

Watch tonight along with CNN.com’s Lisa Respers France, who will be blogging live during the show.

Last week’s elimination show had a few surprises. You can check out CNN Radio’s Michelle Wright’s reaction to who went home and see if you agree.

Is your favorite still in the game? Watch “American Idol” with us and let us know your opinions about the remaining contestants.

Post your comments below, or head over to iReport to submit video of your reactions to the performances.

Your comment or video may appear on CNN!

–Lisa Respers France, CNN.com Writer

Filed under: television

Next entry »
  1. Christine Davis, Osceola, AR

I believe Lil is a winner! Lil put up the wigs, You're very beautiful with your short hair. Just sing Lil. God gave YOU the gift. Whatever song you choose or is chosen for you, just sing. You may not make American Idol, but God has open a door for you that no-one can close.

April 8, 2009 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lizzy

Megan has no talent!!! Not to be rude, but I could actually mute the volume when she comes on. She SCREAMS....IT!! She has to go:)

April 1, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lizzy

i really like Adam i think he is groovy!!!

April 1, 2009 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lizzy

Meagan is HORRIFIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And Kara is useless and meaningless and she bugs me!!!

April 1, 2009 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Help This Girl

I blame American Idol for her terrible look. What has happened people. Where are your stylist? The show in previous seasons was know for up to date looks, changes in hair, makeup, clothes. This girl's look ruin it for me. Help her... she shows that she's lost, she's a wanna be,,, help her find herself. Right now her thick everything blends.

April 1, 2009 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sue G

I wouldn't be a bit surpised if Adam takes all this year. He's original, artistic, extremely talented, classy and he has the right look and style to make it big.

April 1, 2009 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ed

I agree with you Fitzwilly56. Kris did an amazing job tonight. Great arrangement. He was like a former boyband member that chose to leave because he realized that he had more talent and can carry a show all by himself. My sister said he should take off his shirt! I don't think that's going to happen though...
    Adam was awesome! I thought he would do a karaoke performance with the song- he surprised me! Danny's performance was my favorite. He made me feel the song.
    My favorite is still Adam, though. I am praying that he stays... He's got pure talent.

April 1, 2009 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. Fitzwilly56

I think the best performance of the night was Kris's "Ain't No Sunshine". I thought Adam's update on Wild Cherry was going to be a disaster, but somehow he pulled it off. A bit over the top but certain things he did made it enough like the original yet different and his own style..it worked. Adam keeps reminding me of Steven Tyler (voice) and Jim Morrison (some kind of animal attraction). Not a bad combination. I think he is the most talented. Danny did a good job tonight as well, I just wish I knew the song–it does not help if I don't know it and since I'm older, I can't say I know anything by Rascal Flats. I so much want to see Megan go and I didn't like what Scott did to Billy Joel. Matt and Lil didn't thrill either. The only one leaving me wondering a bit was Allison. So I put her in the number 4 slot behind the three boys. Right now I think its Adam's to lose.

March 31, 2009 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dave

Megan does have a very unique voice....she is just not doing well with song choices..... She should get the boot!

March 31, 2009 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dave

Anoop and Megan SHOULD be in the bottom two....

March 31, 2009 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tina

Really interesting night, a lot of bad and a few good. Kris is ok. My daughter thinks he's hot. Have a great evening everyone, I'm outta here.

March 31, 2009 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tina

Ok I liked what Adam did. I know he will win.

March 31, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Susan

cannot take Lil. Please stop yelling and go home.

March 31, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tina

Celine, I Surrender from Lil. She has a great vocal range, but I don't like the song even though I like Celine Dion

March 31, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tina

Maybe I am just too old to relate to what Matt is singing, but I sure don't like it!!!!!

March 31, 2009 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  16. norm

I believe Adam will be the next star and with luck he could be the next great star, not Elvis,but his own style. I 'm surprise last week how many people disliked Adam and how many love him this week, I believe he will win the American Idle. I remember how Elvis was so different when first start his music and so has Adam. GOOD LUCK ADAM GO GET THEM

March 31, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Tina

Scott is a big improvement over last week! Billy Joel's I want you just the way you are

March 31, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Tina

Rascal Flatts and I can't think of the name of the song....something about hearts and when you are close to someone. He didn't mention his grandfather.

March 31, 2009 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Tina

I always look forward to Allison because I love her, but that was the worst performance I have ever seen her do!

March 31, 2009 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Adamlover

Unable to see Idol to today, what did Danny sing

March 31, 2009 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Tina

So far tonight Danny is ahead

March 31, 2009 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Adamlover

I love ADAM there is no contest. Allison is my #2

March 31, 2009 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Tina

I admit Adam has the chops and voice. I just hate that he is a ringer.

March 31, 2009 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Donna

Yuck. Why is Megan still there? She needs to go home.

March 31, 2009 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Tina

Ok Meghan was better than Anoop, but where does that accent, nasaly tone come from?

March 31, 2009 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  26. A

Adam is the stud of the competition. His skills are far beyond the other competitors and I have been rooting for him since Hollywood week. If he would only tone down the over the top broadway acting and just sing this wouldn't even be a contest. I like Allison a lot too. It will probably come down to Danny, Aliison and Adam, with Adam winning. The guy is just too good.

March 31, 2009 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Bob

Anoop was boring. Simon is right on target with his comment.

March 31, 2009 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Tina

Anoop is in trouble, that wasn't very good

March 31, 2009 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  29. tracy

enough with the tattoo...it is awful!

March 31, 2009 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Tina

Adam is a ringer, having been on Broadway and in other things along with a band that recorded. He shouldn't have been allowed in an amateur contest. I think Meghan should have gone last week, not Michael. My favorite is Allison, followed by Danny and Matt. Anoop is ok. Scott has my sympathy feelings and he can sing but he isn't big enough in his strengths to make it all the way. Here we go...

March 31, 2009 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Momcat2

ADAM – so unbelievably talented!!! Danny and Alison are excellent too...

Megan needs to go this week..sorry blondie.."just not good enough!"

March 31, 2009 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Scott

Megan or Scott will be saying "adios" after tonight.

March 31, 2009 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Eddna

ATTEN: All

please see the comments from Adam- > face the truth ... ..(comments from a music pro.....)

Adam March 31st, 2009 5:06 pm ET

March 31, 2009 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Pelvis

Anoop Should Go ...........

Danny & Lil Finalists .................

March 31, 2009 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  35. moku

Faves: Adam, Alison, Matt and Anoop
    Worst: Lil, Scott,
    Bearable: Kris, Megan, Danny

March 31, 2009 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Pelvis

It Seems All The Women Want Meaghan Gone ...........
    Jealous Are We ...............
    Meaghan Sings Good But Needs Great Song Choices To Go On......
    Meghan Rocks ...........

March 31, 2009 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Francesca

I only watch AI to see Adam perform. I wish Fox would just give us an Adam Lambert Show every week – he'd be phenomenal. He's going to be a superstar.

March 31, 2009 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Suzy

Faves: Adam, Matt and Allison

Next: Lil Rounds (really needs to pick the right showcase music), Kris Allen, Danny Gokey (I think he's going to get old unless he pushes himself and selects the right music

On the fence: Megan Corkrey (really bad performance last week)

Least favorites: Scott MacIntrye, Anoop Desai (nice guy; pretty voice but I don't see him as a major star in the real world)

March 31, 2009 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  39. gregg

and btw,, america ,,, if they were any good to begin with,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they would allready be stars
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

March 31, 2009 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Fitzwilly56

Megan, Matt & Scott should go. I think this is a boy's competition myself, I think the winner is among Adam, Kris, Danny and Anoop. If I were forced to choose a winner right now, its Adam.

Anoop and Kris have show good growth and Danny is still there doing his thing and I think well. Adam has the stage presence and confidence. They all have good pipes. At first Adam's appearance bothered me, but the more I see him the more its doesn't bother me and his Elvis look-alike-look shows he's quite the sexy chameleon.

I'm enjoying this season and I think the boys have it....

March 31, 2009 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  41. gregg

damn eric... u need to be to new gieco woman

March 31, 2009 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  42. EDW

MEGAN needs to be the next to go, she is sad. America likes Adam a lot, however I think Matt is very talented and versatile. It will definitely be a guy that will win this year, again!!! May the best man win.

March 31, 2009 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Pat

Everyone - well, almost everyone thinks Adam is so great. Well, folks, you think he's great because he understands "theatre". He understands how to do the show; be different. He's probably been in musical theatre since he was 3, which puts him way ahead of the other kids. I don't care for him as a performer and he's too contrived. For how many years have we heard the judges complain that someone was "musical theatre" talent and they needed to change? American Idol is supposed to be about find the raw talent, carassing it, challenging it and turning it into "American Idol".

March 31, 2009 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Sass

I agree with Eric.

March 31, 2009 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Jesse Taylor- Mariposa, Ca.

Hi... I'm Jesse and Yes... I am an idolholic!
    In my opinion for what it's worth...Adam, Danny, Lil, and Allison (In that order perspectively) are in the lead vocally and creatively. What I prefer about Lil over Allison is Lil's excellent vocal control... whereas Allison does alot of shouty songs... Taking away from her appeal a bit. I do like Allison's old soul personality.
    I am a BIG fan of Danny... However if you factor in natural marketability... Adam is incredible... I believe Adam can make it to the top. In the end, I believe it will be a stand-off between Adam & Danny. Danny has BIG things coming in his future as well... No doubt about that!
    I also like the new addition to the judges section. She compliments the show. Nice to hear reviews with knowledge backing it up.

March 31, 2009 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Sharon

I personally think Adam uses his cuteness and flashiness to try and take him over the top. But the judges have to be educated to over look some silly traits and pick possibly clean cut Scott McIntyre. This man has overcome a lot of obstacles and shows much patience with this type of scenario. The judges have to pick one, and so try to see things objectively, the way they see it, then you can see why who wins, actually wins. I thought Connie Talbot was a sure shoo in but alas it went to Mr. Potts. Then no, I don't listen to that kind of music, while so ala cool and hottie wottie, just not where I put the radio on. If I do I change it quickly to avoid a migrane.

March 31, 2009 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Simon

Kris, Scott pack your bags

March 31, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Jannie

Adam is definitely the front runner and the one I look forward to the most each week. He really gets into the part, unlike anyone else in the competition. He is too talented for this show. All the other singers are ordinary compared to him. Alison certainly has the talent to get to the final three. Meghan needs to GO NOW. She's getting by on her looks, and its not fair to anyone else going home before her.

March 31, 2009 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Laurie T.

I totally agree Megan should have been gone a long time ago.
    The girl can't sing, I think she sounded terrible the last few weeks and should have went home before the guy last week.
    People must be forgetting it is a singing competition not a beauty contest. I think that is the only reason she is still in it.

March 31, 2009 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Marcos

Faves: Adam, Matt
    Megan got to go tonight ( I do not know what Simon sees in her!) then, Scott, Kris and Lil
    Top five: Adam, Matt, Allison, Anoup, Danny (not in order)
    American Idol: Adam

March 31, 2009 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Erin

I LOVE ADAM! I think he is the best American Idol!

March 31, 2009 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Annoyed

Megan ,Joy what ever she calls herself needs to go! Can't sing & there's alot better eye candy out there than her!

March 31, 2009 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Bob

How do people like Adam? He screeches and it's only a matter of time before he shows up in full body paint and glitter and starts making out with other guys like in the pictures of him online. Frightening if you ask me, and it's nothing to do with the fact that he's gay.

March 31, 2009 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Just a Fan

I think people are lying when they say they don't like Adam. You may not like his look, his personality, etc., but you know you are curious to see what he is going to do each week. He and Allison are the ones that get me excited to watch the show each week. They are both true performers and they are great at making a song their own. In all honesty, I think this is a great group. I think they are all strong if they choose the right song (seems to be a hard thing to do these days). Next to go: Scott.

March 31, 2009 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  55. BLACKEYEDPEA

Megan: bad
    Scott: bad
    the rest are pretty good.
    best: Adam, hate to say it but it's so obvious
    I like Lil, and Allison, and Matt stands out too.

March 31, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  56. K

My favourite has to be Anoop – although he isn't SUPER SUPER SUPER talented I still love him, he's so down to earth <3

This season isn't really that great for me, I've stopped watching and probably won't start again. I find a lot of the contestants to be really puke-y and over the top. There's only so much a person can take.

Also, I find the fourth judge thing frustrating. I really like Kara, but by the time they get to Simon, who is the only one who says anything meaningful, he has 2 seconds to get it out D:

March 31, 2009 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  57. popidol

Scott's goin' home this week. He's not up to the challenge. He sings every song the same old way. Boring. Megan is great....don't pick on her. Just turn the volume down and enjoy.

March 31, 2009 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Kim

can't wait until tonight to see what everyone has to offer...I think Danny, Adam and Allison will be the top 3, Megan should go this week

March 31, 2009 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Sam

Adam, Danny, Allison, and Lil – final four in my opinion.

March 31, 2009 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  60. No Joy in Idolville

Joy should go. She can't sing. And all those tattoos make her look like a clown.

March 31, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  61. NBailey

Adam is the most talented individual American Idol has ever had on the show. He is a muti-faceted talent who will never give you a dull performance. I can't wait to see what he does tonight.

March 31, 2009 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Jeff

Most worthless story I have ever seen. Nothing in it I didn't know...a week ago. And what do you mean there were surprises last week? No, there weren't. This is a great example of the crappy excuse for journalism the Internet has brought us. You could just change the number out at the beginning of the story (nine left...eight left) and run it over and over again. In fact, maybe that's what you're doing. Last time I click on a CNN headline.

March 31, 2009 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Eric

The judges were right about Megan from the start; she's got what it takes. She needs polish and the right material, and she'll be a huge star. Adam is head and shoulders above the rest. Danny has a great voice, but his overplayed back story and his constant Jesus-freaking have me a bit turned off. Lil has the killer voice, but she seems desperate for approval and you can tell she has dollar signs in her eyes; I don't blame her for wanting to make money, but the desperation will be her undoing. Scott needs to go next; when was the last time you saw a blind white guy with a little white voice make it big? Never? Thought so. Allison blows me away; I see her in the finale. Kris and Matt are second tier, but I like their talent. Anoop is in a league of his own, and it's not a major one. I predict he'll go after Scott and/or Megan.

March 31, 2009 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Dakota

I appreciate the adversities Scott has faced as a physically disabled individual but his talent does not warrant his continued presence on this show.

Strictly my unprofessional opinion but Adam has what it takes to be a star - he is essentric, unpredictable, solid voice, and attractive to both sexes.

March 31, 2009 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Jeff

Megan will redeem herself here since she gets a better selection to choose from. Her voice is more suited for modern songs.

I think Scotts time has run out. He will sing a modern song and show how unmodern and boring his singing is. No offense to him as he is very talented given the circumstances but I don't think his voice is that great.

I just hope the top 100 songs have a good variety of genres for them to select from. Does anyone have the official list they will use?

March 31, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Marnie

My favorites are Adam, Matt and Danny. I think it's definitely time for Scott and Meghan to go.

March 31, 2009 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Tammy

Megan is only there because of her looks. She is the worst dancer I have ever seen on AI, even worse than William Hung. Love Adam and Danny and Allison, top three.

March 31, 2009 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Adamfan

Adam is, hands down, the most talented of the group. Allison has raw talent that will grow and develop over time, but Adam is the only one doing anything remotely interesting with his song choices. Love him or hate him, its the plain truth.

March 31, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Gladys

Adam can sing anything, he is a born star

March 31, 2009 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Bo

Scott needs to go, enough with the sympathy vote already.

March 31, 2009 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Jeff

Adam needs to do the Seether cover of Careless Whisper

March 31, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Adam

I’ve gotta be honest.. I don’t see what the big deal is with Adam. Ok, he has PHENOMENAL chops.. but he is SO over the top with everything. Just because you can sing something a certain way, doesn’t mean that you should. One of my old music professors used to ask us “Who here is getting paid by the note?” That’s what always comes to mind when I here him sing. His arrangements are decadent, overly complex, screechy and for the most part off the mark (as far as interpretation goes). I thought that his Ring of Fire rendition was HORRIBLE! Johnny Cash probably rolled over in his grave a couple of times during that performance. And OMG!! He completely slaughtered Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones (and not in a good way).

Having said that, he’s probably going to win, but I don’t think he deserves it. I think Danny should probably take it.

And I have to say, I think that Matt is severely underrated. I heard his version of Georgia in the prelims and he absolutely killed it! (In a good way) He reminds me of a piano playing John Mayor. I don’t get what it is about him that the public doesn’t like. But that boy did not deserve to be in the bottom 3.. No way no how.

March 31, 2009 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  73. phyllis

Megan sorry girl but you need to go!
    Let's keep it real, Adam is the best of the rest.

March 31, 2009 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Yeah

I think Megan Joy is FABULOUS. But I agree with "N" that song-selection for HER is crucial. She doesn't have the kind of voice that can sing "just anything". It has to be unique. She is very unique – which to ME – means she's BETTER than some of the generic-sounding folks still in the running (Kris, Scott).

FAVS: Megan, Matt
    ON FENCE: Danny, Lil, Anoop, Allison, Adam
    GO HOME ALREADY: Scott, Kris

March 31, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  75. stracy

i am so excited for this week. i love adama, allison and danny. they are defiantly my faves. i dont like megan or anoop. theyre not really that memorable and to be honest theyer not a good al the others. i think danny or adam will win. if those arent the top 2 i will be very suprised.

March 31, 2009 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  76. kburns

Love Scott, but don't think he can last much longer. His vocals are just not up to the qualty of the others. Of course, neither are Megan's.

March 31, 2009 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  77. N

Megan just needs someone to give her a good song. she has a killer voice if she can just show it. I think Adam will win it all.

March 31, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  78. norman

I'll tell you something, if this is the best America has, the country is in trouble... you've got Allison and you've got Adam who can actually sing, the rest could be in any bar on any night and I'd forget them in an hour... I blame the judges, Simon particularly, his taste is so conservative and dweeb it's not surprising the contestants are boring.

March 31, 2009 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Norma

Meghan can't sing but I think she gets by with her looks What do ya think!!!!!!!

March 31, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Melissa

I hope this week is better than last week. So far, this year is a year to be forgotten.

March 31, 2009 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Nick Marino

I think it was right to give Sarver the boot. Joy should be next!!!

March 31, 2009 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Lola

I certainly hope the contestants have put a lot of thought into their song choices for tonight. I am so tired of those done to death 50's, 60's and 70's oldies and I'm ready to hear some of the newer 'latest hits'. After all, this is the kind of music they will be recording if they win.

When they go back to doing oldies again, I'd love it if they would do some classic rock. They owe it to Adam. They made him do a country song, so they should make all the others do a rock song one night. Time about is fair play! There were some beautiful love songs, done by heavy rockers, as well as their big powerful songs.

March 31, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Rex Eaton

Why is Megan Joy still there? She was, has been and will continue to be terrible.

March 31, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Kevin

These themes get lamer and lamer every year- can't wait until Big Band week (because so many past Idol winners have made Big Band albums) – stupid ideas

March 31, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  85. SherBear

I truly believed that Megan Joy should have left before the other gentleman.

March 31, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Fay

It was so scary last week when Adam came out looking so much like Elvis. He even has some of the "ticks" Elvis had. The little crooked smile, the dark eyes and even some of his facial expressions. He needs to do more of that look.

March 31, 2009 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  87. joni

I can't wait to watch tonight's show. This is a group of really good singers this year. It might be time for Megan to go home!

March 31, 2009 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  88. David

I really like Kris too – Great Vocals – Not a fan of Adam, but last week was really cool... I'm on the fence with him....

March 31, 2009 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  89. David

Least Favorites – Matt, Scott and Lil – Just don't feel the connection with them....

Favs – Allison – This girl just diesn;t sing a bad note..., Danny and for pure Eye Candy – Megan... Yum

March 31, 2009 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |