March 31st, 2009

Top 9: Lil Rounds surrenders

Lil looked so pretty tonight.

Lil Rounds

But if you are going to sing a Celine Dion song, you have to really bring it.  Lil chose Dion's "I Surrender," and she, too, was criticized for her song choice.

Maybe I just expected too much from her and her big voice. I wanted her to have "a moment," and like last week, she didn't.

Ryan went to one of her daughters in the audience and even the kid was at a loss for words. Very cute moment when her other daughter hugged Randy. So sweet.

–Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

Filed under: television

1. Sponge Star

I am very glad that judges saved Matt because he deserves to stay way more than Lil. I think Matt is one of the most talented contestants in this show.
    I expected bottom 3 would be Anoop, Matt and Lil. But from the performance last night, Lil was definitely the one to go. Not only the last night performance, but also including past performances. Lil only has an attitude and nothing else. Even she pulled it off next week, it is still unfair, because she has been way overdue. What I hate about her most is I don't see any humbleness from her, just an big attitude... I am very disappointed about that...

April 15, 2009 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kate

Go Home Lil

April 15, 2009 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. ???????????

Lil, Stay Positive, Pray, Be Yourself . Stick with what you do best! So you can get your Blessing at the final of this show.

April 15, 2009 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sponge Star

I truly hope that she goes home tomorrow. She is way overdue. I love the song and she tried to change it in a middle to more R&B or whatever she wanted. I liked the idea and it could change my mind if she did great job. But it just proved me that she is just average singer and full of herself. Look at all other contestants, they are way more talented than her. I will have a serious question about the show if she is not going home tomorrow. She has not had any good performance for several weeks and not been voted off. I don't think it is fair. Alexis was way better singer than her.

April 14, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. meatball

Lil is WAY too overrated! The Tina Turner performance was terrible-the judges keep telling her "we know you can sing" so when is she going to show it?
    With all the talented boys and rock star Allison, Lil is just getting lost in all their talent. I hope if she gets voted off that the judges don't save her-because she is boring.

April 8, 2009 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sponge Star

She is way too over-rated since the beginning. She is not the weakest in this season, but definitely one of the weakest contestants.

April 8, 2009 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sherrye from New Orleans

Lil Rounds has a beautiful voice. All she needs to is take the judges advice regarding song choice and blow America away with her voice. Also, smile when you feel like crying. I know it is easy to say but sister I've been voting for you like mad because I think you have what it takes to make it in the music industry.

Blow America away from here til you make it to the final two.

Good luck and look forward to seeing you on tour this summer.

April 2, 2009 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. Michelle from Iowa

Lil- You are doing AWESOME! Even if you don't hit #1 in this contest, it will all be irrelevent a year from now, because with a little bit of voice tweaking and guideance in song choice you are going to rock this world with your talent! You go girl! Is'nt every day that an ordinary mom of three gets this kind of break! The Top Ten Tour will be your REAL debut and get you noticed by those who are most important!

April 2, 2009 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  9. lorna

hi lill,you got a strong voice girl,but u need to put some soothing melody in your tone and not rush through the songs,as karen said ,please stick to being you,get back to ure short hair,and your shorter dresses.ure babies are real qute.big up .tone it down and bring it.

April 1, 2009 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tag

Lil Rounds, be encouraged, be true to yourself. Do what you know to do. I believe you are a strong black woman. Don't let the pressure overtake you. I do not know all that you have to endure, but as long as you stay true to your roots, you can make it through anything, and you may impossible dreams can can true!

April 1, 2009 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Marianne

Hey Lil – you are one of my top picks!! Awesome voice- would love to hear you do something more age appropriate. You have a future even if you are not the next Idol. You got talent!!

April 1, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. wayne

Lil....Try something by Gladys Knight. I think you could do a great version of "You're the Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me". It would come across great as it would sound like you're singing it to America. There's plenty of room for you own interpretation.

Hang in There....you can still pull this thing out of the hat!

April 1, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. pam

I love Lil, one of my favs, but she's not listening to the judges. She needs to sing some Mary J, Mariah, Whitney, etc... She has a powerful voice and can really belt it out!

April 1, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Karen

Not a fan of Lil Rounds. I was kind of impressed early in the audition process, but I have now heard enough from her to conclude that there is nothing special about her voice. Yes she can sing, but nothing unique or "wow" about it. There are several other contestents in this competition that are far more unique and commercial. Time for her to go (after Megan and Scott)!

April 1, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Wayne's Music Journey

I got to say this girl MAN she can sing and really belt out a tune.
    She has it in her to really shine and thats a good thing. I think the judges had really good in-sight into helping her and crafting her with advice so she could better reach the goal of the competition.

April 1, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  16. James

I hate her when I first saw her audition because she's a 'hand clapper'. Bleck.

April 1, 2009 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  17. dmintz

Lil Rounds got a good, big voice and she has soul and range (unlike Megan). She reminds me a little bit of Fantasia but she's got her work cut out for her. Like I've indicated in posts concerning other contestants, she won't make it past Adam, Alison or Kris.

April 1, 2009 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  18. jlm

lil rounds please go back to to the basics you can sing but keep it
    real r&b that is where you belong on the tour get more created this is
    not the time

April 1, 2009 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  19. LISA MURPHY

lil Rounds this is coming from a home girl from Alabama who has nothing but love for you, and want you to go all the way. IF IT AIN'T BROKE THAN DON'T FIX IT. STICK TO THE STYLE AND SONGS THAT GOT YOU THIS FAR, DON'T CHANGE IN MIDDLE OF THE GAME. I KNOW YOU GOT IT NOW GO AND KILL EM. LIKE KAREN SAID STICK TO ONE STYLE OF HAIR, THE SHORT CUT IS WHAT LOOKS BEST ON YOU. RELAX NEXT WEEK AND GO DO YOU. I'M ROOTING FOR YOU.

April 1, 2009 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  20. YEC

There are few artists that I absolutely despise–Celine Dion is one of them. The Celine Dio catalong should be banished, in my opinion. So, when someone sings Celine, it's very hard for me to be impartial. Lil sang well, and she looked beautiful, but because of my bias, I can't judge her fairly.

April 1, 2009 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  21. Terry

The world already has too many Fantasia's. I'll give another week, two at the most.

April 1, 2009 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  22. Ray

I don't understand why this woman is still on the show. She hasn't had a decent performance since the auditions and whomever made her up last night should be run outta town. She was ugly both to see and hear. Get rid of her.

April 1, 2009 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  23. big rounds stinks

she's gotta go – her PITCH is really bad – not sure why the judges don't comment on it. NO creativity in phrasing, unremarkable voice quality... she STINKS compared to Melinda Dollitle.

April 1, 2009 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  24. Sam

song choice has nothing to do with her ability to sing. Lil Rounds has a beautiful voice, she is one of the few that can sing a Witney, or Mariah. She can also pull of a Jennifer Hudson. The people who have a problem with her behind needs to get over it. Pancakes are out.....

April 1, 2009 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  25. St

I agree with DAN, She seriously just yells out on to the MIC. No emotions, no movement... nothing!

April 1, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  26. Phil

Definitely one of the most overhyped contestants this year. I am sorry, but her singing has been par the entire contest, yet the judges continue their own agenda and push her to the front. If she is voted off prior to the Top 5, the judges will definitely save her. They are holding onto that "save" for her, Adam, and Danny. The bias this year is very noticeable.

April 1, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  27. Dan

Great voice, but she sings with no emotion. She just belts out the song like a robot would. She needs to inject some feeling into her songs.

April 1, 2009 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  28. Nik

Horribile song choice but I hope she makes it thru. She needs to turn it around.

April 1, 2009 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  29. Dawn

I agree her outfit didn't suit her. If she picked better music to sing, with her voice, she could win it all.

April 1, 2009 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  30. billyoper

I like her booty a lot ,and her great legs,but she is hard headed she needs to pick songs that fit her voice,not songs she thinks sound good i vote for her every week but she needs to step up or she will be gone real soon everyone else except megan are passing her by,sing some soul please.

April 1, 2009 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  31. molly shepherd

As for this comment:
    "I think her kid’s hug with Randy will keep her around another week."
    Since when is this competition about anyone's KID???
    In fact, I think she gets screechier and louder every week !

This will end up with Allison and Adam..... Lil might as well pack up her kiddies and head home

April 1, 2009 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  32. David

Lil is a great singer but she isn't "bringing it". She should step it up or go home.

April 1, 2009 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  33. ashley

Lil just does not have it. I know girls with bigger voices than her. Please send her home America.

April 1, 2009 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  34. Karen

Okay Li listen up! I promise not to offend you. Here is the story from a black perspective. Lil you have to be different but not different every week. It seems that you are losing your edge and don’t know your way back. This is what I mean. The different wigs are not becoming. Find a hair style that makes you look glamorous and stick to one look. You are trying so hard that you are starting to look like three different people (from the last few weeks).
    Black people will vote for you because we love your voice and your music but you have to stop the costume fanatics and get on with the read deal, your music. The prom queen look (gown) showed negative images of your bottom. Wearing clinging clothing will only divide your fans by causing some to like you and some that don’t. Now is not the time to try to win a fashion show so don’t get distracted. It will only divide your fans and cause you to be in the bottom three. Try a simple soft super bowl look, like Jennifer Hudson’s (classy but not trashy) outfit. Sing, sing, sing and blow us away next week okay..

April 1, 2009 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  35. Ben Lee

'Lil can carry a Whitney or Mariah song – why doesn't she do it? Celine's song...surely there's something better. Like it or not, I think 'Lil is very much pigeoned hole into a Mary J. type...there's nothing much you can do. She won't win the competition but she can stay on longer by picking what she will do best (ie Mary J., Whitney, Mariah) rather than trying too hard to do something she's not and get booted out sooner.

Loved her hair this evening – it made her look less young-matronly..

April 1, 2009 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  36. Sean Serritella

She never had a good voice to begin with. Can you name one good song she has sung? If you compare Kelly Clarkson's singing "I surrender" to Lil, you would LAUGH at Lil.

April 1, 2009 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  37. Jim

Week to week, I am less impressed with Lil. I just don't thing she has "it".

April 1, 2009 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  38. LJ

another boring week for her....she's hanging on by he lil' toenails this week.

April 1, 2009 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  39. WATCHIN' N WAITIN'

Someone help her pick out a song for next week!!!

April 1, 2009 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  40. Amy

I know all the white people want her off.

April 1, 2009 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  41. jojo

she has a great voice with a booty to match but tonite the song and dress were both wrong.

April 1, 2009 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  42. Carol

Time for Lil and Scott to go home

April 1, 2009 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  43. Mark

She has a great range and a very good voice. I think she'll be around if she makes a better song choice and shows off her talent better. Tonight was good, but not fantastic. I think she can do better.

April 1, 2009 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  44. Kelly

I believe she is staying true to herself and singing what she feels in her heart to sing. I agree the judges want to turn her into something she is not wanting t be.

March 31, 2009 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  45. David

I don't know why they won't call her out on her pitch problems. She is so over the place.

March 31, 2009 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Jeff

She's been overrated since day one. She said that she gave this song choice much thought because the judges keep saying she sings the wrong songs. She doesn't have a good sound to her voice. She will need to pick songs with attitude if she wants to stay around much longer. Lil, Megan , and Anoop are in my bottom three.

March 31, 2009 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Dana

But CELINE, get a grip....old lady music. Sorry but true. Who's going to buy more of that? I wanted Mary J, or somebody, anybody else's music.

March 31, 2009 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Sherry

I think she is a great singer! Just is NOT picking the right songs. Playing with elimination if she doesn't pick a good one soon!

March 31, 2009 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Be true to yourself

To Scott, your comment about her behind was not necessary if her body type is not to your liking okay get over it. It so sad that it's so many unhappy negative people in this world pretending to be well rounded .

March 31, 2009 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Be true to yourself

I think lil should be true to herself and sing what she's comfortable with. Stop trying to cross over and please America. How about Anita Baker, Phyllis Hyman, Nikki Howard, Gladys Knight, Sade Lauryn Hill , Jasmine Sullivan those are some real powerful singers to name a few. It's understandable the judges say one thing and when you attempt to meet their request they say the opposite. Please do not sing Mary, or Keisha Cole songs.

March 31, 2009 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Olga

nothing special

March 31, 2009 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  52. michelle

I just dont know about this girl . I dont like her voice.....

March 31, 2009 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Sandi

Lil is a beautiful woman.
    I keep waiting for her to blow me away, but it hasn't happened yet. Everything she's done has been pretty bland for her big, strong voice. I actually like the Grand Ole Opry week song.

March 31, 2009 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Si

Girl....you got what it takes......USE IT! You can sing better that Mary and Alisha--you got pipes.....use 'em with a great song choice. Let's hear some artistry...you can do it!

March 31, 2009 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Brandon

my two cents.... if your going to do Celine Dion, you better bring it big time. Wrong song from her list. Should have been Celine's version of River Deep Mountain High or Power of Love at minimum. Great voice, serious power, but wrong song choice.... We love you in Dallas, but you better bring it or prepare to go home....

March 31, 2009 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Sharon

I thought she was great. I am so sick and tired of the judges trying to pigeon hole her into a Mary J. or other R&B type. When others like Lil have stayed in their comfort zones the judges have criticized them for doing so; now they have seemed to have taken the opposite position. Whatever!

March 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Zazu

Bad song choice. Nice voice, though she was flat throughout the performance. I don't get why the judges see so much in her. She needs to step it up and tune it up. She really did look great tonight though.

March 31, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Victoria

I think she has a good voice but she doesn't seem to be showing any soul, which she did in the beginning. All of a sudden she's singing Celine Dion?? If that's the sound she's going for, then she needs to go to Vegas and just be a lounge singer. She does appear to sing older than what she is. Very strange considering her tryout and her vocals on her way to the top 20.

March 31, 2009 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Chris

The song wasn't bad, and I think her kid's hug with Randy will keep her around another week.

March 31, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Caroline

Didn't like it at all. In the beginning of the competition, I thought she had a good voice, but I don't see any WOW factor here.

March 31, 2009 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Yo-yo

Booooooring!

March 31, 2009 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Scott

Amazing? I think that is a HUGE overstatement.

March 31, 2009 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  63. matthew

Amazing voice. She really needs to bring it next week though. We all know she can (she has before).

March 31, 2009 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  64. DEMJ

I don't know what happened to Lil Rounds but the ship is stinking fast.

March 31, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  65. la la

boring

March 31, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  66. CC

It's like she's never seen any of the previous AI shows before. Don't they always say stay away from Whitney, Mariah and Celine?

I think we all want her to be so much better than she is. The show needs the big-voiced diva but she's just not it.

And just because I'm a girl, i have to comment on the dress. Bad material for her big ol' booty. Too clingy. I hope she find the perfect style soon.

March 31, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Divad

I hate that the judges keep trying to pigeon-hole her into a Mary J. Blige wannabe, but her song was just ok.

March 31, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Elsie

She has a great voice, I just want her to sing something real good.

March 31, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Ric Shaw

I think the judges are growing tired of defending how great she used to be. Week after week her song choices are getting worse and her performances are getting weaker. Bottom three this week I'm afraid.

March 31, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  70. LZ

Great!

March 31, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Scott

Nothin' Lil about that rump? What an unflattering dress! She is also so full of herself. Not sure what the judges see in her. I can't wait until she is voted off, though it won't be this week since Idol played the "kid card".

March 31, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Denise

It was just okay...

March 31, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  73. roz

Like her voice. Didn't know the song though. She looked beautiful.

March 31, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Bob S

Lil Rounds you're singing your grandmother's music. Please Please sing something current.

March 31, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Slainte

Not her best song choice ... too old fashioned for her. Her daughters are gorgeous!!

March 31, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |