March 26th, 2009

Top 10: More Stevie, please

Stevie Wonder, I am ready to forgive you for your performance with the Jonas Brothers at the Grammys.

Before we even got to his singing, Simon weighed in that Matt and Michael were in the bottom two because America didn't like them.

Oh, please.

Thank goodness we quickly got to Mr. Wonder singing a medley of "My Cherie Amour," "Superstition," "All About The Love Again," and one of my personal favorites, "Overjoyed."

The "Idol" contestants were up and dancing, as were the judges.

Stevie worked the piano keys, the harmonica and the audience. He even sent a shout-out to President Barack Obama and "American Idol."

Why oh why couldn't we just have a full hour of Stevie Wonder?

Filed under: television

1. Happy in Arizona

Stevie was Stevie–outstanding

March 31, 2009 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sam

Stevie is a great artist, but honestly, I didn't like his vocals that night. I thought they were weak.

March 31, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Deb

I enjoyed hearing STEVIE WONDER!!!!! YEAH!!! American Idol, for sure! I Love President OBAMA, white, black, or any other color! Stevie was Right On to be so happy for a person who is so capable of turning our world around. That's what he was referring to. I would be so proud if I were him too. It's Fantastic! I am a white girl too..... But that is beside the point. I grew up with the MoTown sound. It helps me get my groove on. My life is enriched by the culture of the music. Thank You to the many artists who were a part of this genre.
    Deb

March 27, 2009 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. Wayne 's Music Journey

Loved it! And Stevie thanked Obama and American Idol. I love Stevie Wonder. I am a fan and always have been. Those songs still sound
    fresh. So cool.... Such a talented "Bless Stevie Wonder"..
    American Idol is entertaining... It's always interesting like watching a sports game to see who moves up the ranks and whop moves off.
    I think I also like the song "That Girl" by Stevie Wonder. Did you knwo this guy can play drums amazing. Search Stevie wonder on youtube under drummers and check it out. I recently seen Karen Carpenter too there play drums so well.

Thanks

Wayne

March 27, 2009 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jim

Is it just me or is anyone else becoming annoyed with the shout-outs of President Obama. between Stevie, Lil Rounds, and Simon I think Obama must be Nationalizing American Idol and the shows producers are requesting a stimulus package! I am no longer interested in watching the show!

March 27, 2009 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bridget

Please, please, please can American Idol refrain from politics? It was over the top for Stevie Wonder to sing "I love Barack Obama". Would he have said that last year when Bush was president?

March 27, 2009 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. Tookie

Stevie was not all that. Like Smokey, he has aged and is not what he used to be.

March 27, 2009 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  8. madeline

Stevie was absolutely amazing and I also had goosebumps. Love him, but don't know why the shout out to the President. Who cares though, he is Stevie Wonder. Look as his talent and artistry....Thanks Stevie.

March 27, 2009 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. Stevie Wonder Fan #1

I love how random talentless losers are bashing a music great like Stevie Wonder. How does the musical quality change just because you don't like Obama? I hope people grow up sometime soon. Spare me the half white stuff too. For four centuries that was not enough to quantify someone's race as being anything other than Black so when someone like him, a true intellectual unicorn, a complete rare breed of a wonderful human being (even with flaws, still wonderful) comes along, don't then try to lay claim. You didn't want anything to do with us for a long time so spare me. He identifies himself as a Black man. Anyway, Stevie is pushing 70 years old and has seen much in his lifetime and can shout out to anyone he wants.

Anytime any post on this website concerns a Black person of any caliber, their is so much stupidity and hatred posted. Doesn't matter if it is Stevie, Oprah, Michelle, or the President. Why doesn't this exist at the same rate on posts about other people? And the comments are always stupid and unfounded, never actual critical analysis of the person's action....only their colour.

Stevie is a wonderful musician and anytime he sings Overjoyed, tears come to my eyes. 🙂

March 27, 2009 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  10. Patty

Last night's performance by Stevie Wonder was amazing. It gave me goodbumps to see everyone getting into it. He moved everyone.
    I thought it was cool that he gave a hout out to President Obama..
    Most of all, it brought back memories as I was celebrating my 57th birthday. Still has it after all these years; thanks, Stevie.

March 27, 2009 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Back off, Stevie

Enough about Obama! It's a singing competition, not a political rally! I like Stevie less because of his shout out.

March 27, 2009 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  12. Wanda

Thank goodness we didn't have a full hour of Stevie Wonder, because not everybody likes him. Personally, I like Smokey Robinson better!

March 27, 2009 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. Elvis

Stevie was way below par. Couldn't understand his words, his songs had no melody and everything he sang sounded the same. Maybe a couple of lessons from some of the Idol contestants would have helped.

March 27, 2009 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. testiculon

There seemed to be quite a bit more of Stevie to love. More like Stevie and a half!

March 27, 2009 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. Lynn

I'm "America", too, and the shout-out to our president didn't bother me one bit. I wish folks would stop saying "America says this" or "America doesn't want that", implying there's only one voice in America.

March 27, 2009 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  16. kslatz

Stevie is a legend and if he wants to exclaim his love for the President of his country it really shouldn't be an ordeal at all. The anti-Obama freaks like to draw attention to anything about our current Commander and Chief...it's funny how they can hear an insignificant comment and paint it into the worst light. Stevie, you rocked it out, great song choices and you showed classic showmanship as always!

March 27, 2009 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  17. Bob

Stevie was excellent. What's remarkable to me are some of the comments above. A little show of love to our president and "positivity" and out come the racists and haters. Unbelievable. I guess I forget how low we've sunk in the past couple of decades.

March 27, 2009 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
  18. el polacko

stevie certainly isn't what he used to be.. he was 'pitchy' and his newer material, complete with a tired shout out to barack, is pretty lame... and will somebody please tell him that his handlers are dressing him like it's still the 70's ?! poor guy. they must be able to get him for cheap though since he seems to pop up on every show lately.

March 27, 2009 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  19. Evelyn Moore

Megan, the blonde with tattoed arm: how can she be considered an "American Idol"? Do parents want their daughters to tatto their entire arm? And, she cannot sing; she murders anything she sings and that silly little twist of hers. She needs to "go home".

March 27, 2009 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  20. chris

I enjoyed stevie's performance, minus the stupid shout-out to "president' obama...how stupid and lame....half of america did not vote for obama, (48percent..) at that point, I just fast forwarded and went on to the rest of the show...sigh...haven't we had enough media-related biased politics for awhile? stick to singing stevie , please...

March 27, 2009 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  21. Batzilla

Stevie's performance was sub par. He was a little weak in spots. If he were a contestant with ath performance Simon would have torn him up. Don't get me wrong, MOST of his singing was fine but go back and LISTEN to it again. He was off key several times. I was shocked. And the Obama shout out was lame. Remember people, Obama is also HALF WHITE!

March 26, 2009 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Paul

Stevie was great. He can shout out to Obama anytime he wants to.

March 26, 2009 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Andrea

I thought the girl with the tattoo on her arm should have been in the bottom 3 and should have been sent home. Her performance last night was horrific and that's putting it nicely.

March 26, 2009 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  24. mamabird

Are you kidding me?? You would let a 2 second shout out ruin a performance by Stevie Wonder for you? You must be a real joy to be around.

March 26, 2009 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Florida Dude

If you know anything about Stevie or his music then you would not be surprised about his shout out to Obama. The guy has been around some really tough times for our nation. He ALWAYS sings about politics, war and social issues. It goes with the territory.

March 26, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  26. wra

Huge Stevie fan and was totally turned off by his shout out to the President. Do we need all these celebs who think they have the right to do this? Just sing!

March 26, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  27. b t.

He did not have to mention the president. We luv Stevie but could have done without the politcal stuff. America is sick of it!.

March 26, 2009 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Galoux

Uh, Stevie Wonder does love Obama, and if he wants to put that in a song, fine by me.

March 26, 2009 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Gritsman

What's with the Obama quip! People don't want or to sound racist but o my Lord this is pathetic. Stevie Wonder isa great singer but why and who put him up to this? Heaven help us pleeeeeeeease!!

March 26, 2009 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  30. ArmaniGirl

It isn't too often that I leap to my feet in the living room - but I did tonight when Stevie came on!

March 26, 2009 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Florida Dude

My alltime favorite artist. There is none better or even close. I have every album and they are worth every penny.

March 26, 2009 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |