March 25th, 2009

Top 10: Michael Sarver ain't too proud to beg

Smokey Robinson made a house call for Michael Sarver because Sarver was too sick to make it to Detroit. Amazing.

Michael Sarver

Finally, some Temptations!

Michael Sarver sang "Ain't to Proud to Beg" and said he was going to get back to his soulful roots.

Where might those roots be?

And by "taking it to church" I think he might have been refering to his prayer that he's not in the bottom three tomorrow.

I really wanted to like this rendition because in rehearsal it seemed like he was giving a little Nick Lachey action. Then Michael took to the stage - and even his having been sick is no excuse.

He had lots to say when Simon offered him a critique and kudos to him for sticking up for himself. He's having a blast, he said, and I think he should enjoy it while he can.

Do you think his song choice did Michael in this week?

–Lisa Respers France, CNN.com Writer

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Heart 'n Soul

I'm so bummed this guy is still on the show (and took Alexis Grace's spot!) He hasn't delivered since Hollywood week and he has ZERO stage presence. I like him and he has a good voice, but he shouldn't be in the Top 10...period. I guess Country fans have banded together to keep him around? I like Country, but keeping him around is not doing the genre any favors.

March 26, 2009 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Paula

He needs to go home. Megan is unique and brings a different edge to the show. If he had gone home last week, Alexis would be on tour...

March 26, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. you will be history

Boy oh boy Megan saved your bacon this week. I am afraid you will be gone next week. Then you can get back home to that little boy.

March 26, 2009 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Northwest Nance

Nice guy, probably has more talent than most of his neighbors and co-workers, but not enough to compete with all the great singers who are finding fame and success. People want to see the blue collar guy succeed though, and that might take him some distance.

March 26, 2009 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ken

The problem here is that there are some competitors who were great (Adam, Danny)... and several that were at least good. What Michael did was neither... it wasn't even mediocre... we could just pull some random guy off the street and get a performance of equal or better quality. He seems like a nice enough guy and all, but he doesn't seem to have the chops to win a singing competition.

March 26, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. rene

We all get tired of the judges saying "song choice", but I know what they mean... just because you like the song personally (or it has "meaning" to you) that does not mean that you will be able to sing it in a way that spotlights your talent. Case in point, this song did not suit Michael at all. He doesn't have the pipes to bring it home, and he did try to add vocal inflections to it that he just isn't good at or really can't do. Of all of the Motown tunes, he should have chosen something a little slower with more of a soul sound to it. He gone... either tonight or next week.

March 26, 2009 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Alex

Michael and Megan sadly, I feel are then next two to be eliminated. Megan is attractive, but last night's performance lacked so much in so many levels.

Michael, well, I he might be gone too. He is not a bad singer. Maybe with some vocal lessons to bring out his full potential, he might still have a singing career. Who knows, he might put out country cd in the future and surprise us all.

March 26, 2009 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sky in Seattle

I like this guy but....he has outlived his moment. There are three of them who I feel have outlived there moment, this oil rig guy....the blond chick with tatoo's and the blind kid.....good and nice people who dont have much more to offer the competition...Toomer or Boomer or whatever his name is....is close to being out also. Those four are always iffy and forgettable....and just all right dog....but the rest.....any one of them could pull off the title.

March 26, 2009 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  9. karen from Canada

He cannot sing from day one. He needs to go.

March 26, 2009 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  10. Geoff Garcia

In the infamous words of Brett Michaels: Your tour ends here

He totally sucked it on this one. Yeah Megan had an off night also – but at least she has some character – in her voice, in her style and in her personality. This guy has no redeeming angle.

No way would the judges use their "save" on him either.

March 26, 2009 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. JohnQ118

SongChoice,SongChoice,SmongChoice! I'm getting tired of hearing that here – ALL the MOTOWN Songs are great, there are no poor song choices from last night (and the judges know that and have should have said so) – only some poor performances.
    Lil sang too fast and ahead of the music – she sounded terrible as a result, not due to her 'song choice'. And Michaerl? Also a GREAT SONG CHOICE, just a mediocre performance, too sick?, p'rhaps, still he could/should get tossed. Danny was just 'karaoke' -another wornout idol word- but he was bad,bad,bad- not a proferssional calibre performance; still GREAT SONG CHOICE!
    Adam? Props to you, man for showing another side. I think he could be the final winner (and he's not my favorite...); and NICE SONG CHOICE.
    The one who could likely go home who actually took a gutsy chance? Megan Joy. I don't expect to see her standing after tomorrow. I actually liked the arrangement, just not her awful performance (off-key doesn't cut it); still GREAT SONG CHOICE!!
    Scott was a mess. I expect he'll go soon. just not next. Still GREAT SONG CHOICE!!!

Do you get my point?

March 26, 2009 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  12. Roger T

March 26th, 2009 10:40 am ET

I hope Michael Sarver is still in the game, I thought he was pretty good in last nights performance. Simon Cowell needs to give him a break, seems Simon has already made up his mind on Michael’s future.

Give the guy a break, he is a great singer and mind you he is REALLY CUTE!

Go Michael – I hope you make it to the top!

March 26, 2009 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. Diana

I do like Michael, but, unfortunately, his performance last night was sloppy. A fast tempo-type song is not for him. He definitely is good with ballads. I wish he would stop playing with the mic and start being comfortable on the stage– if he's serious about competing... and if he makes it to the next round. One thing going for him, he's very engaging in his conversations with Ryan.

I have this strange suspicion that Megan will be out next week instead of Michael. She has not been comfortable or confident since day one... only maybe when she had the flu.

March 26, 2009 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  14. Bruce

Several weeks in a row being the worst singer and he's still around. I don't get it. The judges finally quit giving him special treatment last night and told him he was bad. Finally! It was nice to see his arrogance taken down a peg. Did he pull those pants out of a dumpster? Michael is this season's Brooke White – nowhere near the talent of many others that weren't chosen for the top 12.

March 26, 2009 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jackie

Not a bad singer, just not enough experience or versatility. Give him a few years.....

March 26, 2009 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  16. Glen Shouse Jr.

Motown is just too big for Michael. Especially to try to sing a Temptations song that featured David Ruffin. Nice try Mike but the only thing that saves you as far as i'm concerned is that rediculous attempt at Stevie Wonder tonight.

March 26, 2009 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  17. Jen

Wow. I have never liked him. This is a singing competition, not a "nice guy" contest. I would have rather seen Ju'not Joyner in the Top 13 than him. Scott is the other one who has outlived his stay on Idol. I hope people start voting for the ones who can actually sing.

March 26, 2009 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  18. Candy C

PLEASEEEEEE bring back Alexis Grace and let Micheal go home. He is an awesome person but singer NOT!!!! Alexis Grace needs to be brought back

March 26, 2009 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  19. Sasha

Michael should definitely be the next to go. I cannot believe he made it through last week! Fast-paced songs do not work for him, he has a good voice on the slow ones, but not good enough. His country last week wasn't great. He seems like a nice guy and all, but this Texan thinks his time is up...

March 26, 2009 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  20. J. Georgino

not "memorable" as Simon would say.

March 26, 2009 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  21. Galoux

Michael has never been one of my favorites, but I do like him, and I was sorry that last night was such a mess. Still, please, please, please let Megan go home before he does. That out-of-control vibrato that sounds like bleating, the chewed-up lyrics, the missed notes. Eek.

March 26, 2009 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  22. Sara

Ah Mandee – – Josh Gracin has been pretty successful in country music. Personally, I liked him last night. Was it the best – no. But it was by far not the worst. At least he didn't scream like Lil Rounds. And I hate how Simon keeps saying he won't win...give the guy credit...he hasn't been voted off yet so respect the people's choice and respect him!

March 26, 2009 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  23. nelsinny

.. most definitely. I liked him in the beginning, but now he looks like the guy that sings for free at weddings. People hate Simon, but he's right 85% of the time. Wrong with Jennifer Hudson (BIG TIME!), but the contestants this year need lots of work.. not as competitive as I thought it would be. Michael needs to step it up!

March 26, 2009 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  24. Dean

Sarver is a week over due to go, awful 2 weeks in a row.

March 26, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  25. mr vee

On a SCALE of 1 out of 5. I Give him a 2

March 26, 2009 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  26. Donna

Just aweful.

March 26, 2009 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  27. TD

Smokey didn't make a special house call for Sarver. He did ALL the "mentoring" at the house (just watch the sessions–they're all in the same place that Sarver was). Sarver just didn't get to go to Detroit.

March 26, 2009 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  28. Loriel

I thought Michael sounded about 10 times better than the judges gave him credit for. The comments being made towards him here are what are pathetic and crap; not his singing. I don't think he is the best but they do treat him differently. Adam is in a league all of his own and so far above the others there is no comparison but Michael was very entertaining and just likeable. And believe it or not, that is important also. I thought he was about even with Danny; someone they love to love because of his sad story. (and it is tragic, don't get me wrong.).

March 26, 2009 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  29. Nutsy

Michael needs to go back to Houston. I laugh when I hear people say Adam is creepy. I think Michael is creepy.

March 26, 2009 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  30. Mike

Adios Michael. Fun while it lasted.

March 26, 2009 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  31. Cant B. Trusted

Personality and looks he's the one to beat. As much as I hate to admit it he's time is short. He, Meghan and Scott are the weakest links in the chain.

March 26, 2009 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  32. James

How did this guy make it this far? Oh thats right he is a blue collar worker and supposed to appeal to the heart and soul of America. This is a singing competition! He can't sing! Do you remember country week?
    This is what he said, "country ain't about singing good its about having fun".

Exactly why I don't like country ha ha....or Michael Sarver. From day one I have been wanting this guy to go away.

March 26, 2009 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  33. Denise

Not impressed at all. Time to go.

March 26, 2009 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  34. Diane

Michael is so likable, but he's just not a Motown kind of singer. His song choice was wrong. He should have chosen a ballad.

March 26, 2009 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  35. Linnea

I believe Michael should have been gone last week-not Alexis! But, it's too late now. He'll be off tonight, he won't be in the final 9!

March 26, 2009 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  36. Weldred

We can only hope it's enough to do Michael in. If it isn't, then Lil, Megan and Scott better be concerned. Last night's round totally separated the group into the top and bottom halves. Allison, Adam and Matt totally showed the rest of them how it should be done. I don't know what Danny Gokey was thinking. He screamed his way through that poor song, but hopefully it won't be his last chance. Those in the middle better step it up or they'll be left in the dirt.

March 26, 2009 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  37. Jeanne

Quite frankly, I was surprised when he made the top 12 (13). It shocked me then and I don't understand why he's still there. He knows it too. You could see it in his face. If he was really good, he would've gotten determined and vowed to do better, but he has already resigned himself that he's not good enough. Go back to the oil rig Michael and stay there.

March 26, 2009 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  38. Caroline

I actually kind of like Michael. I don't think he should win, but for God's sake, can we please get rid of Megan and Scott first?

March 26, 2009 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  39. Arlene

I do not believe that he is that good and should have been removed a long time ago .....

March 26, 2009 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  40. John

Just when I thought we would finally get rid of Tatoo girl, Sarver ends up doing worse, ensuring that she will be around for another miserable week. Sarver and Joy shouldn't have made the top ten.

March 26, 2009 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  41. C. Elliott in VA

Michael should never have made it to the final 36. He is the least talented – followed by Scott (sympathy votes). Micheal and Scott both need to go. Should never have been in the Top 10.

March 26, 2009 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
  42. Roy

I didn't think he did Michael was as bad as the judges made his
    performance out to be. It seemed like they had it out for him this week.
    I agree with dc that why did the judges pick him for the finals if he
    was that bad. They make a big deal when they are making the picks for the final 32 yet they feel there is people they pick who have know chance to win.
    The judges save is a joke. I wonder if Michael is in the final three if they will still try and make it look like he could be saved. Simon has
    already stated he will not win.
    Last week they tried to sell it that they could possibly use it if Alexis was in the bottom. I knew they wouldn't use it yet as they likely already know the contestants there saving it for.
    As usual when the number of contestants left gets smaller, I'm ready
    for the judges to start cutting up the contestants a week or two after
    they've told them they are so great.

March 26, 2009 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  43. Fitzwilly56

Nice smile and face, sincere, but I have to put him in the bottom three this week. Along with Megan Corkery and Scott McIntyre.

March 26, 2009 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  44. Michael Cooper

Smokey didn't make a house call specifically for Michael, he was in L.A. to mentor everyone.

March 26, 2009 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
  45. Michael

The most disappointing performance of the night. When he raises the tempo, that's when he falls flat. Ballads are his strength, but either way, he's not taking this seriously. And I think it's too late to change that.

March 26, 2009 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  46. brelee

I hate to say it, BUT he is just not good, period. I can't believe the judges didn;t save Alexis Grace over this dude, what a trip!

March 26, 2009 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  47. Nikilea

Michael my man, even if "Hollywood" doesn't get you. We here in the good ole working class heartland do!! I am praying for you that Randy Travis will help you to connect with Nashville. You have a very fresh sound and stage presence! I was so touched when you talked about your little girl last week. Please don't give up your dream. Give me a reason to buy a great country CD again!!

March 25, 2009 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  48. nancer

sarver doesn't deserve to be there. he should leave this week.

March 25, 2009 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Shantreice

He just plain sucked tonite. Pathetic performance. Go home honey, Momma needs a break from takin care of the baby.

March 25, 2009 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  50. mandee

he was NEVER good enough to be there. he is FODDER. poor man's josh gracin.. and believe me, i don't think too much of josh gracin to start with.

March 25, 2009 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  51. dc

since the judges hate michael so much why did they let him get so far?
    they are totally rude toward him and treat him different from the other contestants.

also the save is a joke and makes the audience votes a joke eveyone should quit voting all they are doing is giving simon money

March 25, 2009 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Kanne

I absolutely love Michael, but he will not win the competition. I will still vote for him, though. I like his humility, but I think someone needs to help him dress and look more stylish. I think that would help his image. Right now he still looks like an oil rigger. He has not found his niche and he needs to do that quickly. He is 1000% better than tatoo girl.

March 25, 2009 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Carol

I llike Megan although , bad song choice, Scott needs to go home

March 25, 2009 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Carol

Faye: too funny about not yet forgiven Megan for Rockin' Robin.....that was HORRID.....she is very cute with a good looking commercial face but there is no versatility or range there at all. She needs to fall outta that nest next week....tweet, tweet.......

March 25, 2009 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Elisa

He is living on borrowed time. "Taking it to church" and then delivering a washed out, lame performance is a disgrace. By disgrace I really do mean without grace.

March 25, 2009 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Matthew

Micheal has no reason being in the Top Ten. Flat out.

March 25, 2009 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Threewhln

Yeah, I was really hoping Michael would pull it out, but "taking it to church" just didn't answer the prayers!

March 25, 2009 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Faye

I don't think it was that close, Michael was bad but Megan was HORRIBLE! And quite frankly I still havent forgiven her for Rockin Robin

March 25, 2009 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Ann G

Agreed – though I would add Scott to that list, too. But, Michael should have gone home weeks ago – back when he somehow managed to get more votes than Alexis Grace!

March 25, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Bob

Flip a coin...Megan or Michael...both deserve to go home.

March 25, 2009 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |