March 24th, 2009

Anne Hathaway as Judy Garland?

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Weinstein Company has signed Anne Hathaway to play Judy Garland in its forthcoming biopic about the singer/actress, “Get Happy.” The film is based on the biography by Gerald Clarke.

One of my colleagues said he told this news to a Garland fan, who immediately said, “No way!”

There could be a few issues. Hathaway stands 5-foot-8, while Garland was famously diminutive - about five feet. Garland was a powerhouse singer and live performer, while Hathaway - though she demonstrated a capable singing voice at the Oscars - might not be able to deliver the kind of emotive “Over the Rainbow” Garland was known to give. (Not that you have to be able to sing to perform movie musical numbers - just ask Audrey Hepburn.)

Still, there is a slight facial resemblance, and few doubt Hathaway’s acting chops. Also, both started as child performers (though Garland, part of a performing family, started VERY early). Could Hathaway be the person to take Garland through her tumultuous life? If not, who would you suggest?

- Todd Leopold, CNN.com Entertainment Producer

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Arics Fairouzc

Thanks for another wonderful post. Where else could anyone get that type of info in such a perfect way of writing? I've a presentation next week, and I'm on the look for such info.

July 11, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. lynne kirkwood

Having seen Tracie Bennett's performance in End of the Rainbow in London and also the fact that she has been nominated for an olivier Award I would say that Tracie should play the role. Her performance was mesmerising, and at 48 years old, same ags as Garland when she died, standing at five foot one inch, and very slim she is Garland. Go watch this play running now at the Trafalgar Studios and see if you agree.

March 3, 2011 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. Towel Rails

i love the smile of Rachel Bilson, i got a huge crush on her .-~

December 21, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dar

After seeing her on Saturday Night Live doing the Wizard of Oz skit, I think sure, she can do it.

November 22, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lisa

Jay, yes, she does!!! Watch PS I love You and you'll crack up it's so uncanny...

November 16, 2009 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Erin

Emmy Rossum- she can sing- and was amazing with the mixture of voice and emotion in Phantom of the Opera. I think she would be a better pick for sure.

November 15, 2009 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Amy

I think this would be the ideal opportunity to hold auditions to find a no-name. Any well-established actress will come with some pre-conceived image(s) anyway.

Just my humble opinion. 🙂

August 11, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. SILVIA ECKSTEIN

JUDY GARLAND WAS LARGER THAN LIFE EVEN THOUGH SHE WAS SMALL IN SIZE, SO WHAT DOES IT MATTER IF ANNE HATHAWAY IS TALLER? THEY MAKE SMALL MEN LOOK TALL SO WHY NOT MAKE ANNE LOOK SHORTER>? AND THE SINGING CAN BE HELPED WITH LOUDSPEAKERS. WHO CARES. HER FACE IS MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN JUDY'S BUT SHE LOOKS A BIT LIKE HER, OR LIZA. LET HER DO IT. SHE'LL BE A SUCCESS
    SILVIA

July 31, 2009 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jay

is it just me, or does Hilary Swank look just like Judy Garland?

July 31, 2009 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. yafa

i dnt think she can pull the legends part, she cant sing,cant dance,is ugly,and is too lall.Judy Garland should be played by someone who can do all thoes things,judy garland should be honored not potryaed badly.

June 30, 2009 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Janet

Any time I hear of a Judy tribute, I sit myself down and watch Garland at her best–in movies, and on her fabulous TV show. The joy of watching her is surpassed only by her joy in performing. How do you capture that without using her own voice and beautiful face is beyond me. Would you try to reconstruct the Grand Canyon with colored rocks in your backyard? Judy Davis and Tammy Blanchard were hand-picked by hardcore Judy fans, who acted as consultants. Lorna Luft also was involved. I have yet to hear any other singer, now or in the past, who stops me in my tracks wherever I am as Judy can. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I doubt anyone can capture lightning in a bottle again in portraying Judy. I'd rather watch the unique original for the hundredth time tahn hope someone gets it right.

April 14, 2009 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. cardew

Are you kidding me???? I cant stand looking at her, let alone watching a whole movie with her in it.... sorry no way, there is plenty of other actresses out there

March 25, 2009 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Darryl

Yes Judy Davis was fierce, nailed it! And yes this french girl from Piaf would lay them all to rest.

March 25, 2009 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. phlipper

tongue firmly planted in cheek.....Helen Mirren is the obvious choice.

March 25, 2009 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dana

Perfect...especially since most of the film will focus on the adult Judy and not the child Judy. She can handle this one...

March 25, 2009 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Sheryl

Let's be honest...Not even Liza could play Judy and come off exactly like Judy. Judy was/is an icon, an unbelievable faery creature who not only had a voice, but she was the tiniest person to ever completely fill a room. With that said, I think Hathaway is a good choice. Her challenge will be finding the "guts" that were so second nature and on the shoulder of Garland.

March 25, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Brooke

Marian Cottiard would be perfect

March 25, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  18. K.

Zooey Deschanel!

March 25, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Kate

I really like Anne Hathaway, but she is all wrong for Judy Garland. Judy's drug addiction and life-long challenge was here naturally curvy body. A tall, skinny beauty just isn't going to cut it, not matter how well she can sing or act.

I am a life-long fan of Judy Garland's and there have already been two bio-flicks of her life, Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows was just made in 2001 and and Rainbow in the late 1970s both had great casting.

March 25, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  20. SD

Zooey Deshcanel (the voice!)
    Emmy Rossum
    Natalie Portman
    Katherine Zeta Jones

Anne does somewhat look like her though.

Hands down, Rufus Wainwright wins. Have you heard Rufus does Judy at Carnegie Hall? Spot on. He can dance in heels too. I really think he could pull it off.

March 25, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Deb

Hello...did anyone see her sing on the Oscars? She will be great! Rachel Bilson?! Seriously? There are definitely a lot of people out there I'm happy are NOT casting directors!

March 25, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Stacy

I agree why do we need another movie on Judy Garland. Judy Davis was wonderful, it just doesn't get any better than that. Ann Hathaway as Judy Garland is almost as ridiculus as Hillary Duff playing Bonnie Parker. Hathaway has an advantage though, she can sing and act.

March 25, 2009 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  23. TimP

Am I the only one who thinks she is a mediocre both in talent and looks ?

March 25, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  24. pam

christina ricci

March 25, 2009 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Tonia

People who keep saying Marion Cottilard, are you crazy. Though she is a fantastic actress, she has a thick french accent. Unless you dub her talking as well as her singing, I don't think it can be done. I can not think of anyone who would be able to pull it off. If they are going to do this movie, I think they should do an open call audition and find an unknown. Someone that really looks and sings like Judy. If they need big names, then get a bunch off big names for all the supporting roles.

March 25, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  26. BROOKKA1

ANNE HATHAWAY – SERIOUSLY?? PAHLEEZE, people! She's a mediocre actress AND singer – at best. And let's not forget how she has that same, stupid look frozen on her face all the time. She looks like a cross between a manequin, a deer, and a fish.

Why do we need to do a movie about the life of Judy Garland, anyway? Please, just somebody do a decent documentary using REAL footage of Miss Garland if you really want to pay tribute to her!

March 25, 2009 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Richard T

Just like that old Brittney Spears fan, I yell OUT LOUD: "LEAVE JUDY ALONE!!!". Let her rest in peace, we do not need any more stories about this famous icon!

March 25, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mike

Eagen Halter, a girl in my NY theatre class would be great! She's the right size 5 feet and has the acting ability and WOW what a voice. She's an unknown, but so are many before they're discovered.

That said, NO ONE can really live up to the late great JUDY Garland. A documentary would be better. Remember the film fiasco of Audrey Hepburn's life w/ J Luv Hewitt??? And she didn't have to sing!

March 25, 2009 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  29. ariana

i think it's ok...i mean,...who else would play her? that's a big name?

March 25, 2009 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  30. Len Sternbach

It's Kristen Chenowith...not only is she the right height, she can really sing and act. She proves it constantly on Broadway. Ignore the bright hair, it can be darkened.

March 25, 2009 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  31. Daniel

Anne Hathaway is a great actress in her own right and so was Judy Garland however, Ms. Hathaway doesn't look at all like Ms. Garland.

March 25, 2009 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  32. mara

I second Natlie Portman. She is fantastic.

March 25, 2009 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  33. cullen factor

Mila Kunis

March 25, 2009 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  34. MemphisG

I think it depends on which period of Garland's life is the thrust of the film. Garland went through so many changes from being America's Sweetheart during the 40s to the overweight Garland in the 50s, to the svelte older electrifying Garland of the early 60s, and finally to the woman-succumbing-to-addiction in the late 60s.

Hathaway might be the right choice for the MGM years. Other periods of her life? I don't know. It will certainly be a challenge for her, that's for sure.

As an aside, does anyone remember that Brooke Adams was interested in doing a Garland biopic back in the early 80s?

March 25, 2009 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  35. Chris - Florida

Anne Hathaway is a great choice and even though I thought Mario Cantone was a truly inspired choice, I am not sure he has the "gorgeous gams" required!

March 25, 2009 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  36. gaetano

I want Brittany Spears to play her? This would be fun to watch ...

March 25, 2009 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  37. SILVIA

I HEARD ANN SING DURING THE OSCARS AND SHE SINGS BEAUTIFULLY. SHE CAN PLAY ANYTHING INCLUDING JUDY GARLAND AND SHE DEFINITELY LOOKS MORE LIKE JUDY GARLAND THAN RENNE ZELLWEGER . I AM ALL FOR IT.

March 25, 2009 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  38. tony alvarez

ann hathaway for sure! she has already proved her range.
    the lady can pull it off because because she has the chops,
    and there will be no problem for her becoming judy garland
    on screen.

March 25, 2009 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  39. Kevin

There are about a thousand guys in Miami that are dying to audition!

March 25, 2009 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  40. jak

Hillary Swank has the talent

March 25, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  41. Joyce

I can't imagine anyone but Judy Davis playing Garland. She did a WONDERFUL job in the tv movie!

March 25, 2009 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  42. Benst

While I feel Anne Hathaway is an excellent actress, I feel she is being miscast as Judy Garland. When I see I Anne Hathaway, I don't see Judy Garland, (and she has to sing as well. Or be a really good lip syncher).

As previously suggested by other persons, I repeat the nomination for Judy Davis. Or Liza Minelli.

March 25, 2009 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  43. Kat

Zooey Deshenell

March 25, 2009 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  44. anna

Rachel McAdams

March 25, 2009 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  45. Bruce - Bham

I can appreciate the talents of Anne Hathaway but she's NOT the one. Judy Davis is the only one who can bring some resemblance to the incredible Garland. Ms. Hathaway lacks the depth of character needed to play the complexities of Garland.

March 25, 2009 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  46. Carl Anderson

I agree that having Anna Hathaway acting the part would be nice and perhaps add some certain touch of joy to the character, also her smile is somewhat larger than Garland's but it helps to enhance the character and may even bring a little "spice" to it. She has the capacity to sing and I believe that Hilary Swank would also be a good choice except she may not be capable of singing to the level needed...I am not sure, of course.

Either way, it would be nice to see Hathaway grace herself in this role and she would not take it lightly. She is an actress who takes her parts seriously (as does Ms. Swank) and perhaps she should do it if the chance permits.

In the end, we have to keep everything in perspective and remember that there never will be another like Judy Garland-even her daughter cannot live up to that. She is one of a kind in this business...

March 25, 2009 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  47. kathryn

Judy Garland is awesome and so unique a person who could ever touch her- no one singing wise or other wise some stars have to be left alone. If you watch her TV shows and such she is so intense and so devulging of herself when she performs.Amazing talent.

March 25, 2009 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  48. Karin - Los Angeles

I never thought I would say this, but I think she can pull it off and would be interested to see what she'd do with her role.

March 25, 2009 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  49. Meshell

Anne Hathaway as Judy Garland is a disgrace! I may have not grown up in Judy's time era but my grandparents and history have taught me that Ms. Hathaway is not the ultra persona of Judy. I hope Ms. Hathaway knows better and will not take this role.

March 25, 2009 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  50. Karen

HELL YEAH!! I think she would do an incredible job!! She is talented, beautiful... and I can just see it now on Broadway too.. singing to the tunes from the Wizard of Oz!! She has a creepy resemblence! Don't you think?? OH TOTO.... !

I say go for it!! I can't wait!

March 25, 2009 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  51. Jane from Minnesota

I just thought of another one – Anneliese van der Pol, who played Chelsea on That's So Raven!

March 25, 2009 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  52. Jane from Minnesota

Does Scarlett Johanssen sing? If she does, I think she'd be great.

March 25, 2009 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  53. Kim

I love the idea of Jane Horrocks! If you haven't seen 'Little Voice', I highly reccomend it.
    Kristen Chenoweth is a wonderful actress and has an amazing voice, but she doesn't have the low register Garland had, in my opinion.

March 24, 2009 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  54. dave-canada

emmy rossum would be perfect

March 24, 2009 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Franklyn

Clearly, the people in charge of the project believe they've chosen well. Who are we to judge the performance before the movie's even made? Maybe having an open mind is a good way to get happy.

March 24, 2009 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Adam Gorsline

Why not Tammy Blanchard? She won an emmy for playing Judy Garland... However I think Anne will be excellent..

March 24, 2009 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Laura

Rachel Bilson!? Ick. That crap O.C. actress. How dare you even mention her in regards to Judy Garland! Shame on you! Shame on you!

Anne Hathaway will be brilliant.

March 24, 2009 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Vivian

I vote for Gweneth Paltrw. I just recently stumbled upon a video on youtube of Gweneth singing "Bette Davis Eyes" and she did a great job. She has the brown eyes, put a black wig on her and maybe............
    I think Gweneth could pull off the destructive behavior and definitly young Judy Garland.

March 24, 2009 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Lindsay Anderson

NO! Hathaway is a decent actress, but there is no way she could vocally pull off the role of Judy Garland. I REALLY hope they find someone who can really sing!!

March 24, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  60. SHERRY

I ABSOLUTELY CAN SEE IT! AS FOR SINGING, THE ANNE SINGS EXTREMELY WELL, DID YOU NOT SEE ELLA ENCHANTED?
    SHE IS NOT JUDY GARLAND, SHE IS ANNE HATHAWAY AND A DAMNED FINE ACTRESS AND SINGER.
    DO NOT COUNT HER OUT, I'M BETTING SHE COULD BLOW THIS PART OUT OF THE WATER!

March 24, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  61. bob zimway

Natalie Portman could portray the Garland energy, brilliance, and desperate neuroses, but can she sing? Probably not that well. But, heh, I'd pay to watch. O yeah.

March 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Daniel

Well....why not Zooey Deschanel? Didn't she play Dorothy in a scifi remake of The Wizard of Oz.... called Tinman? I know she can sing and looks somewhat the part. Or how about Rachel McAdams? I like her. Maybe she could pull it off.

March 24, 2009 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Sandy L

Yeah, she will be fixed up to look like Judy Garland. She'll pull it off. Hope the story line is well done. Judy Garland had a sad life.

March 24, 2009 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  64. TJ

No, they shouldn't make another Judy Garland movie because Judy Davis nail the role when she play Judy Garland in the TV movie "Me and My Shadow". Judy D was so good that you think you were watching Judy Garland play herself. Tammie Blanchard was good playing Judy when she was young in the same movie. Anne Hathaway may be a good actress but not enough to play Garland.

March 24, 2009 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Oreste

After seeing the job Marion Cotillard did as Edith Piaf in La Vie En Rose, I believe anything is possible in a bio-pic using a great thespian to do the job.

March 24, 2009 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Cat

believe it or not – and I base this off shows years ago demonstrating her singing some really tough songs from theatrical musicals, etc., and songs from greats including Judy Garland – – Marie Osmond

she had Judy's mannerisms down to an inth, her delievery of the songs very well done – she was considerably younger then – I can only imagine what maturity and her own heartaches and experiences would add to the performance

perhaps they could use those performance tapes along with current filming to accomplish a viaible product

March 24, 2009 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Lindak

NO WAY...Judy Davis did the absolute best Judy ever...

March 24, 2009 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Vanessa

It goes without saying that I am extremely skeptical about this production. I have read the Gerald Clarke biography, along with Lorna Luft's memoir, Gerald Frank's book, and part of Mel Torme's memoir about his time on "The Judy Garland Show." The Clarke book seemed accurate to my knowledge, but I hope that the producers cooperate with Judy Garland's family in making the movie, as well.

Also, as many other people above me have posted, why in the world does anyone feel the need to top "Me and My Shadows?" I love Anne Hathaway dearly and respect her wholeheartedly as an artist, but I think it's almost unfair to hold her up to Judy Davis's and Tammy Blanchard's performances. Two Emmy's for two actresses playing the same role... almost unheard of.

March 24, 2009 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Josh

If movie magic can make Ian McKellen look twice the size of Sean Astin and John Rhys-Davies, (Lord of The Rings) there should be no reason 5'8 Anne Hathaway can't appear 5 feet tall in a a film.

If Anne's voice doesn't cut it she can be dubbed by Judy herself. These things are by no means insurmountable obstacles!

March 24, 2009 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  70. matthew Rhodes

i think it will be great. i am looking forward to the performance and the voice.

March 24, 2009 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  71. next1

OK then heres another idea for anothe vapid reality show
    Finding Judy

imagine the circus

You all seem to care way too much

Judy was a train wreck

Do you want your kids to see/emulate this behavior?

let it go

March 24, 2009 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Jennifer

ME!!!!!

March 24, 2009 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  73. next1

Jane Horrocks Rules and could do the job no problem!

but come on this is America lets give the work to americans

Hmmm

Britney? Ashley? Jessica ( this could be her come back role)

Or Dare I say A drag queen- whoo else understands judy????

Just asking

March 24, 2009 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  74. sandra

Marian Cotillard would be so good portraying Judy Garland...another choice is Judy Davis. Whomever is chosen should succeed delivering their very best performance. Judy Garland was a STAR!!

March 24, 2009 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  75. SharonK

You've got to be kidding me. She doesnt look , act or sing anything like Judy Garland. Her daughter Lisa Minelli show place her. Thats the ONLY person who can do it.

March 24, 2009 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Brooke

Katy Perry-Horrible choice..complete trash

Rachel Bilson-Def. a big NO

Reese Witherspoon–NO

I don't think there is a qualified actress to take on this role.

Let's just pray they do not choose Hillary Duff.

March 24, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  77. DJ esus

what about zooey deschanel!???

March 24, 2009 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Dawn Gervais

Why make a movie about Judy Garland? The TV version was enough.

March 24, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Shala Battle

Carmen Electra!

March 24, 2009 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  80. dianna

Anne is overrated and not a good actress.

March 24, 2009 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Grigori

Wow...not sure where anyone is getting the thought that Judy is more classy than Anne. IMO Anne is actually too clutured and refined to play someone with a sharp and unsophisticated personality like Garland.

March 24, 2009 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Aintnee

Thought this story was already very well done with Judy Davis as "Adult" Judy. What more can be brought to the story?

Still, if one must go ahead, one should consider the child actress who played Lucie Pevensie, the youngest sister in the first "Chronicles Of Narnia" film. Georgie Henley was a total ringer for the early MGM Judy.

March 24, 2009 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Mike - Ohio

If they use Anne Hathaway in Wizard of Oz scenes will ToTo have to be an irish wolfhound?

March 24, 2009 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  84. WILL

Act the part maybe.
    Sing the part impossible.
    Every rendition of "Over the Rainbow" other than the Garland original, is a pale sham as evidenced by Jewel on Dancing with the Stars.
    Really pathetic. This voice cannot be done by anyone else, sorry.

March 24, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Kerry Tanner

Unfortunately an audience will make comparisons between the Judy Davis version and the Anne Hathaway version. I can understand making a different version of the movie, but they will never make a better version then the Judy Davis movie, "Me and My Shadow" So why bother? Why not do a remake of "Gone With The Wind". I'm sure it would have the same results.....

March 24, 2009 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  86. jan

Personally, I like the Rufus Wainwright idea.

March 24, 2009 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Arron

I agree Jane Horrocks – Little Voice. If anyone has seen the movie, they will know she not only has the voice but the acting ability, hands down.

March 24, 2009 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Mike - Ohio

How about Amy Winehouse? They have the same destructive behavior.

March 24, 2009 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Gayle

Think about what Judy Garland gave the world through her inspired dedication to her artistry, even at a cost to her personal life and that of her family. She took a great risk, in 'going for it all.'

And perhaps for the betterment of all, I hope her sacrifice will be honored through returning the opportunity for her daughter to express the rare spirit she exemplified.

Give Liza Minelli an opportunity to make that difficult reach (for anyone) of portraying Judy Garland's supreme artistry.

We never know what amazing benefits our appreciation, love, faith and dedication may yield ... for us all.

March 24, 2009 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  90. next1

Oh Comeon this has Lindsay Lohan written all over it

Its Judy Garland for Chrissake

she wouldnt even have to method act!

March 24, 2009 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Christian

Anne Hathaway will be great. She is a mature actrice, definitely more range than Queen Latifa, Rachel Bilson and Natalie Portman. I believe that Portman's best and only role was from Le Professionel from Luc Besson. I love Foster and Davis, but they are too old for the role, so is Liza, her daughter. Cortillard will not be good at all – as much as I like her as an artist. Wainwright, really? why not Lane? He is shorter. Or peharps Jackman? Leave the guys out! We are talking about Judy Garland here. She is a LEGEND. I hope that the Weinsteins have hired great screenwriter(s) for the movie and a awesome director to direct. As for the actress, Anne Hathaway can definitely fit the bill. Or maybe search for the next Judy Garland!

March 24, 2009 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  92. mrstoddsears

Anne Hathaway is an extremely talented young actress. She is also beautiful with a good head on her shoulders. I think she is an excellent choice to play Judy Garland (I am also a huge fan of hers). Can't wait to see the movie!

March 24, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Rebecca Stanford

Judy Davis would be perfect for an older Judy Garland. I agree. What abut the young Judy? Renee can age with makeup. I agree with Kristen Chenoweth as well. What a firecracker! Amazing! But I don't think she has the look to play Judy. Acting, singing and dancing, yes. But, the look – no.

March 24, 2009 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  94. HHolladay

I think that Anne Hathaway is a fantastic choice and will do a fabulous job in playing Judy Garland.

March 24, 2009 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Sue

Actress Judy Davis would be great as she has already played Judy Garland in a made for TV movie.

March 24, 2009 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  96. patNY

or...How about Sarah Jessica Parker?

March 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Bobby Rivers

David Archuleta as the young Garland, up to "Meet Me In St. Louis."

March 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  98. patNY

there are a number of Judy Garland look a like Drag Queens doing her on small stages in big cities they can pick from!

March 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Liliana

Anne Hathaway is definitely a great choice...she is a great actress and she has a beautiful voice!

March 24, 2009 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Erin

Me! Everyone tells me I look like Judy Garland or Anne Hathaway. I watched every J.G. movie growing up – I can quote you and sing the entire "Harvey Girls" film.

March 24, 2009 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Rebecca Stanford

Renée Zellweger – She is 5-4, sings, dances, excellent actress. Can pull off the look of the time of Judy Garland. Perfect I think

March 24, 2009 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Paulie

@beth, Rachel Bilson? For what? That's not an answer. And 'no' she's not good enough to be Judy Garland, can't sing, can't even act.

Just NO.

March 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Lisa

Sidenote: Hillary Swank's character's portrayal of Judy in "PS I Love You" was uber cute.

March 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  104. jeff

Judy Davis did an outstanding job portraying Judy Garland and another film would not be needed unless it had Liza Minnelli directing it.

When will Hollywood executives realize that if they want a perfect biopic of a Hollywood legend they should cast Susan Sarandon as Bette Davis, just look at how she is idea right not to portray Bette as she appeared in the 1940's and with makeup can portray her later years. Of course it would have to be done in good taste because this was the Best Actress ever.

March 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  105. shannon

liza is like a million years old, so i don't think that would work since she's older than her mother was when she died. wishful thinking i'm sure.

March 24, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  106. shannon

Cotillard has an extremely thick accent, so I don't think she would work. I know it's in fashion for the actor/actress to do all of the singing themselves, but if they simply voiceover the songs, I think Anne Hathaway would do a fantastic job. That said, i think that Tammy Blanchard who played Judy in the same movie as Judy Davis would also be very very good. After all, she did win an Emmy for the role.

March 24, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  107. A few words

Reese Witherspoon

March 24, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Jay

I saw Anne Hathaway sing at a Sondheim birthday tribute at the Hollywood Bowl. Hathaway definitely has the acting and the singing chops to play Judy Garland. Height doesn't matter for film. Many male actors are short short short.

March 24, 2009 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Julie

Judy Davis was the definitive July Garland.

March 24, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Tony

Am I missing something? I don't understand why we need yet another movie about Judy Garland, since we have about a million miles of footage of her performing. If somebody wants to know about Judy Garland, why would they not simply rent a DVD or look on YouTube?

March 24, 2009 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  111. cb

Why not Reece Witherspoon? She did a bang-up job of June Carter Cash.

March 24, 2009 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Al

I think they should consider Rosie O'Donald.

March 24, 2009 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Linda

My God!!!! No way is Ms. Hathaway capable of pulling that off. Judy Davis was the right choice the first time why not this time????

March 24, 2009 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  114. jennifer

Forget singing, how well does she play a drunk and a drug addict?

March 24, 2009 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Randall

Why don't they consider casting an unknown? There is a ton of talent out there who are triple threats and with an unfamiliar face, the character would be more believable as Judy than focusing on Anne's believability.

Otherwise, Jane Horrocks was a good suggestion, and Rufus Wainwright a hilarious one. He'd do a good job though.

Still, Hollywood needing bankability over acting, Hathaway could probably pull it off.

March 24, 2009 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Chickenhawk

As an adoring Judy Garland fan, I think Anne Hathaway is a brilliant choice. I wouldn't have thought of her because of the physique, but she has an exceptionally good singing voice, loads of energy (essential for Judy) and is a trained dancer. She also has great comedic timing, but can still pull off the emotional depth needed. Can't wait til it hits the screens.

March 24, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Steven H

How about Emmy Rossum? She has the voice.

March 24, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  118. J. Deacon

I agree with an earlier post. Since when does an actress/actor have to look exactly like the person they are portraying. Reese Witherspoon did not look like June Carter Cash. Joaquin Phoenix did not look like Johnny Cash. (Although his singing was pretty close.)

No matter who plays Judy Garland, not everyone will be satisfied. Anne Hathaway is a great actress, and I for one wouldn't mind seeing her in the part.

March 24, 2009 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  119. oscar Lopez

I don't know about portraying Judy but I always thought she could pull off a young Liza. The oversized droopy eyes and lips are perfect.

March 24, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Megan

Here's a concept Hollyweird – How about conducting a world search for the talent instead!? It appears the movies these days include the SAME recycled actors in different roles; the world is a big place Hollyweird – try to think 'outside the box' for a change...

March 24, 2009 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Annette

Her daughter Liza Minnelli

March 24, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  122. eric brown

Rufus Wainwright

March 24, 2009 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Jeff

I think Hathaway is a fantastic choice. Her height is an issue? Uh, are you serious? Marion Cotillard, as someone else mentioned, would be brilliant, too.

March 24, 2009 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  124. ndiezel

Why did they have to wait until Liza became an inebriated old shell of her former self? If they would have done this 30 yaers ago, who knows?

March 24, 2009 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Dave

Mario Cantone

March 24, 2009 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Lisa

Even though there's only one Judy Garland, no one will top Judy Davis's portrayal of her in "Me and My Shadows."

March 24, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Amy

Rachel would be great

March 24, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  128. MichaelB

Jane Horrocks – Little Voice

March 24, 2009 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Michelle

I think Anne Hathaway might be a good choice, and maybe with singing lessons, she could sing in Judy's style. Who knows? Why not give her a chance?

March 24, 2009 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  130. haley

Anne would be great!

March 24, 2009 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Judy Conley

Hilary Swank would be fabulous. Same figure....definitely some resemblance. Hilary is a great actress and would pull it off beautifully.

March 24, 2009 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Dwight

Amy Adams, of course. When this is realized, I'll expect a royalty!

March 24, 2009 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  133. judy

Cotiallard is French and her voice was probably dubbed. I'm interested to see how Anne will do.

March 24, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Carl Blows

Natalie Portman gets my vote but Anne will do fine. very pretty with lots of nice curves

March 24, 2009 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Timmy

Two Words.... Katy Perry...

Two words why not Anne..... No Soul

March 24, 2009 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  136. bren

I fully agree with cka comment. Anne Hathaway is a very good choice for her acting and singing ability and big talent, height can be taken care of with camera. Marion Cotillard can also be a great choice, she has as well proven she can act and sing.

March 24, 2009 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Lynn

I agree with Dan...Natalie Portman would be a good choice. Don't know if she can sing though?

March 24, 2009 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  138. mark g

Judy Davis...Hands down...

March 24, 2009 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Glen Arvin

Kristin Chenoweth

March 24, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Frank in Wilton Manors

Here's another reason it won't work....Judy had a nicely shaped mouth. Anne Hathaway has a mouth and teeth a horse would envy.

March 24, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Jeff K

Jodi Foster...

March 24, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Frank in Wilton Manors

No matter who is signed, she will be a poor imitation of Judy. I don't know why anyone would even bother. I mean even Faye Dunaway couldn't really pull off a Joan Crawford effectively.

March 24, 2009 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Chris in Richmond

Anne Hathaway is a fine choice. She will do just fine, and if she wins an Academy Award for her portrayal, the previous naysayers will undoubtedly be heaping praise on how she was their only choice from the very beginning.

March 24, 2009 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Marissa Arnold

Rachel Bilson? What are you smoking?

March 24, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  145. janet

Marion Cottilard (may not have spelled correctly, but French actress who played Edith Piaf and, I believe won Oscar

March 24, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Joe in T.O.

Look at Geoffrey Rush's portrayal of Peter Sellers. The two couldn't be more dissimilar, yet he pulled it off brilliantly. Look at Sissy Spacek's portrayal of Loretta Lynn. They look nothing like each other. Reese Witherspoon doesn't resemble June Carter. Look at Frank Langella's portrayal of Nixon in the recent Frost/Nixon. You immediately believed Langella was Nixon, even though, again, Langella looks nothing like Nixon. In the words of Jon Lovitzs' Master Thespian..... "ACCC-Ting!"

March 24, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  147. M.J.

Hollywood is good at shooting around short men to make them look taller, so they can certainly do the same to make Anne appear smaller. I think she'll do a great job!

March 24, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Mary

I think Anne Hathaway is a fantastic actress. Rachel Getting Married was AMAZING. And I don't doubt that she can carry a tune decently enough.

However, this is JUDY GARLAND we're talking about. No one could belt out a song and still bring in emotional value to song like her. Her voice was just- guh. It gave you chills. I don't deny that anyone who takes on the role is in for a long hard road (at least they will be if they put the proper effort into it like Judy Garland's Legacy deserves) for that transformation no matter who they are. Maybe Anne can do it maybe not. There are stark physical contrasts between. Someone mentioned hiding them and my argument is- Why should the director HAVE to spend the whole film hiding the fact that the starlet is so drastically different to the person they're portraying. That's just unnecessary stress on the film crew.

I just hope whoever gets the role does it justice and the film comes out fabulous.

March 24, 2009 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Mike

Let's see some screen tests with her all done up as Judy Garland 1st!

March 24, 2009 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  150. c.e.

Marion Cottiard is a gorgeous woman of 5'7 who lipsynced her way to an oscar playing Edith Piaf in La Vie En Rose. If Hathaway's acting chops are there as Rachel Getting Married showed and a grew crew is there to back her up. The chances for a good film are there.

March 24, 2009 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Samson

anne hathaway's got it
    and she's HOTT!

March 24, 2009 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Barb

Pink Kwan – WHAT?! Although I do like Queen Latifa you do know who Judy Garland is right? Hope you are joking.

March 24, 2009 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  153. donthinkso

i seen a picture a while ago of drew barrymore and i thought it was jdy garland( i think it was supposed to be portrayed that way) but she looked so much like her and the thing with drew barrymore as you have seen through her past movies she has a face you can use for a child and an older adult... personally have never heard ehr sing i dont know how well that will go but its the movie and they constantly do voice over's but as far as anne hathaway goes she is a beau but she does not look like judy in any way shape or form

March 24, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  154. amie

NO WAY ON ANNE! Although she is a classy young lady, she does not resemble in personality, charisma or charm like Judy. I vote for (if they can sing)...scarlett johanson, natalie portman, or even kate winslet

March 24, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Scott

How about you have Garland's daughter awkwardly stumble her way through the performance. I'd love to see her playing a young version of her mother!

March 24, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  156. francine

I would select the lady who won the academy award two years ago, Cotillard. She's tiny and petite and has a fabulous powerful voice and she also resembles Judy Garland.

March 24, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Dave

Anybody who thinks Hathaway incapable of an amazing singing performance needs to rent "Ella Enchanted". She totally rocked a Queen classic. Girl's got pipes to rival any professional full-time singer.

March 24, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Dan Mongiat

Natalie Portman

March 24, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Mark C

Cathy St. George did a wonderful one woman show of Judy Garland in Boston, MA.

March 24, 2009 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Hannah

Did you see Anne on SNL? The girl can sing!

March 24, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Paola

Ironically I thought she looked so much like a young Liza Minelli and kept saying she would be great in a Caberet remake, she has the singing chops – so I think she definitely can pull it off just resemblance and acting wise

March 24, 2009 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Lafcadio

I like Anne Hathaway. She's made some gutsy career choices (and bad ones too) and is a pretty good actress.

She is no Judy Garland.

Nobody is. Only Judy could have played Judy. She's just too complex.

This movie is just a bad idea. Some people are just too iconic for biopics. If they want to make a movie, make it a Ken Burns documentary with archival footage. It's the only way.

March 24, 2009 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  163. bdavid

Judy Davis did a dead-on Garland in Me and My Shadow. Hathaway may not have the maturity to portray Garland in her later concert years, when some of her most memorable performances occurred.

March 24, 2009 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  164. ben

NO way!!!!!!!

No one could replace the legendary Garland.....what about the amazing woman who played her in the NY stage version of
    The Boy from OZ. Isabel Keating

March 24, 2009 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  165. cka

Hey, do your research. She has a long history in performing in musical theatre. Her dream was to get the lead in the film version of Phantom of the Opera but other film schedules lost that opportunity. Whether or not she will succeed in portraying the remarkable and unique Judy Garland remains to be seen, but it won't be because she can't sing.

March 24, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Brad

Kristen Chenoweth she can sing, dance, and can act and she is just under 5' tall. She would have to dye her hair for the part but that should be no problem.

March 24, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  167. JD

Can't think of a better person to play Judy. Not to mention easy on the eyes too!

March 24, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Susan

I think there is a resemblance and 8" difference in height certainly can be obsured in the movie! I don't know about the singing but she is a great choice in my opinion!

March 24, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Ping Kwan

Queen Latifa! She can sing!

March 24, 2009 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Jay

When did it become necessary to be the person you're portraying in a bio-pic. Grow up.

March 24, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  171. trebo12

After seeing her in Rachel Getting Married, I believe she can pull it off.

March 24, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Huh?

How does the Entertainment Producer not know that Anne Hathaway is an extremely good singer?

March 24, 2009 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |