March 23rd, 2009

Busy Neil Young to release box set

Neil Young’s a busy guy. He’s got a new album, “Fork in the Road,” due out April 7. He has put out a pair of videos, drawn from songs on the album; one (“Cough Up the Bucks”) comments on the economic mess, while the other (“Light a Candle”) strikes a more optimistic note.

And, if you’re a fan, the biggest news of all is that he’s finally putting out a long-awaited box set of his first 10 years, from some 1963 live sets through material for his 1972 classic, “Harvest,” and on to his 1973 film, “Journey into the Past.” In typical drily humorous Young fashion, the 10-disc set is called “Archives, Vol. 1.” (One can only imagine that a complete Young overview will be like one of those 150-CD sets compiling everything Bach ever wrote.)

Young can be notoriously - and justifiably - fussy about his recordings, paying strict attention to sound quality, microphone selection and basic “feel.” So it’s a real treat that this box set is finally seeing the light of day, particularly given what’s sure to be some exciting work: the years with Buffalo Springfield, the early material with Crazy Horse, perhaps even those Mynah Birds records with Rick James.

The box set comes out June 2, and is being released in three forms: an 8-CD box, a 10-DVD box, and a 10-disc box on Blu-ray DVD. The man is nothing if not accommodating.

- Todd Leopold, CNN.com Entertainment Producer

Filed under: Music

1. Luis P.

If you are a true fan of Neil Young it will not matter if he calls his new stuff a box set, or a boxed set or, if he is illiterate.... He is awsome musician period. Can't wait for the new BOX SET......Groovy.....

April 3, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Walter Zuccatti

You can leave you hat on – joe cocker
    London Calling – the clash
    I want to break free – queen
    Pina colada song – ?
    Help – the beatles
    More than a Queen(woman) – the bee gees
    Bennie and the jets – elton john
    tell me why – bronski beat
    Misty mountain hop – led zepplin
    Changes – david bowie
    Yellow – coldplay

April 3, 2009 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. Caitlin

I didn't grow up with Neil, but my Dad made sure I knew who he was from an early age...Harvest is one of my favorite cds and I was lucky enough to see CSNY live. I'll have to get this boxed set (I read that post on proper grammar!) for Dad's bday coming up!

March 25, 2009 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff

Marie Walker – apparently you cared or you wouldn't have read the article.

March 25, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jo

I just bought tickets to see him in Kansas City April 30 and I can't wait. The last time I saw him was I believe in Dallas TX in a bowling alley, many years ago. I'll never forget Cortez the Killer...it was awesome. Neil Young is one of those you either love him or hate him. And I love him. I may not have loved every bit of music he put out (just couldn't handle Trans, even though I know why he did it), but I know if I just wait, his next one will pull me back in. And yes, I will definitely be getting the box/boxed/square/whatever the heck you wanna call it set!

March 25, 2009 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. le

always the american illiterate

March 24, 2009 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. linda

to marie walker – who cares? many of us! keep the negitive comments to your self. the rest of us, love him, grew up w/ his music and are always interested in what he's doing....i'm guessing that your a kid who doesn't even know who he is? try listening to some of his music and then say again "who cares". and to Bonnie P. i have to agree w/ Scott. myself, i can't wait to get the "BOX" set.

March 24, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. marie walker

Neil Young. Who cares.

March 24, 2009 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lookout Joe

humm, the "boxed set" will be anything but "boxed" in the sense that not only will there be hidden gems, but with Blu-Ray and an internet connection, Neil promises to drop new old stuff whenever he wants to do so.. Humm, I wonder if this gives him the option to take it back??

March 23, 2009 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. billydlyons

Bonnie P – Really?!?!? Did you just go there?

March 23, 2009 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scott

Thank you for that Bonnie Prince Charlie – your comments have been a great help to us all!

March 23, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Stephen

Every six months for the last few years there's been a new release date for the Anthology. I'll believe it exists when I see it.

March 23, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Country Girl

Wonderful news!

March 23, 2009 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bonnie Prince Charlie

Music writers are so illiterate. To this writer and so many others (including on Neil Young's Web site): It's not a "box" set; it's a boxed set. It's a boxed set of CDs, not a set of boxes, OK?

March 23, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tep

whatever, cowsomething....

March 23, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jeanne

Way to go Neil!! Can't wait for the new release!

March 23, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Russell Hammond, Hollywood CA

I don't remember many of those early years, ha ha. Nice to get those tunes rereleased while I'm coherent now.

March 23, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Susan

Gotta love Neil Young....wonder how many bucks we have to cough up for this baby.

March 23, 2009 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Cowgirl In The Sand

Sweet! Can't wait to add this to my collection!

March 23, 2009 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |