March 17th, 2009

Top 11: Megan Joy triumphs over flu

Megan Joy
Hometown: Sandy, Utah
Audition city: Salt Lake City, Utah

You thought you might be in for trouble when Megan Joy said, prior to her performance of  “Walking After Midnight” by Patsy Cline, that “It is what it is.”

Megan Corkrey

Joy had the flu and burst into a bout of coughing after singing. The judges gave her points for soldiering on.

Randy said it was “rocky and bluesy” and Paula said that if this is the flu she should have it all the time.

Maybe it sounded better in studio because over the air there were a few cringe-worthy moments.

Your thoughts?

–Lisa Respers France, CNN.com Writer

Filed under: American Idol judges • television

1. Susan Carroll

Megan, Megan...Keep your "improper" wonderful and delightful to the ears diction. I will miss you and your quirkieness. With getting down to all men, they will have less contrast and the show won't have it's same appeal as a "man's Club"uugh. Kara get a grib and don't be such a downer when you have to talk first. Even Randy , if he speaks first, initially give up an affectionate "dawg" first.... get a grip on your downers Kara..... boooooooo, booooooo,"don't alienate your audiance Kara, boooooo

April 2, 2009 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  2. Susan Carroll

Megan, oh megan.............where art thou.

April 2, 2009 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Love Megan ~ Give her assistance

American Idol could help Megans career, but in my opinion she'll make it big/huge on her own. I absolutely love her voice. I Don't think that she's getting the help she needs from the show. I thought they work with the concestants to make them better, to teach them somewhat on how to use their voices... In the past you would see amazing improvements with all of the contestants as the show progressed. NOt now. I think the stylist are terrible, again, not like in past seasons... This season bores me.

April 1, 2009 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Diana Nelson

Megan,
    I think you are fantastic!!! You have a sound of your own, I cant decide between you and Adam, keep up the good work!!!!!

March 27, 2009 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Primo

She sucks! Has no business being in the top 13. Maybe in a beauty pagaent. Her singing is awefull and her conceit is worse. Another example of how the fans skew this competition into somehting it is not suppose to be.

Boot her off please and stop the agony!

March 27, 2009 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. sixtiesmoptopgaragerock

It appears to me that her body movements are reminiscent to some of the Girl-Groups from the '60s – though slightly modified – and therefore most are merely speaking ignorance on that particular subject and seemingly unaware of this throwback style. However, she's a subpar vocalist at best – can't even compare to that olden style – and doesn't make the best of what limited range she does possess - though she's far and away the prettiest thing in the competition.

March 26, 2009 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. john

the girl can not sing......

March 25, 2009 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Denise

She doesnt ever dance her voice and looks is all she has going for her!!

March 25, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dano

all the woman on this post are so jealous because she is a beautiful woman. ( probably the ones that can't look in the mirror!) she has a unique voice and style and that's why i vote for her everytime ! America will decide, and then you all can go on to the next beautiful woman bashing !

March 20, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. s.martinez

i dont understand how she is even here she is limited in vocals and she stinks

March 20, 2009 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. Katmandu

Megan is the worst singer ever. That stupid little jerky dance she does is horrible. You think someone would have told her to stop doing that by now. And everything she sings sounds the same and not in a good way. She should have been the one to go last night, either her or Adam. If this contest was actually based on singing ability and not looks then the Top 10 would be completely different.

March 19, 2009 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. Gabba

If the judges like to admonish the hopefuls to "make it your own" when singing, then they shouldn't be chastised when in fact they do just that, and seemingly get knocked for it.

March 19, 2009 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  13. jay

i agree, megan is a love or hate singer. we know that we can't please everyone. but there is one thing i know. she pleases way more people than those who doesn't like her. i would definitely buy her album anytime!!

Love you megan, your definitely different and millions of us liked that!! Get well and don't mind the detractors.. you definitely have a fan base already.. =)

March 19, 2009 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ken Marth

bird lady (caw caw) has to go...what a EMBARRESSMENT!

March 19, 2009 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sue

Megan is gorgeous and has the most unique voice I've ever heard. Last night's performance was awesome...and I love love love that tattoo

March 18, 2009 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  16. oldstyle

"Goodnight and Goodluck" she's history! I agree she has a unique sounding voice, but she's no Joss or Amy.

March 18, 2009 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sally Bolin

She's a total Duffy/Winehouse knock off. Boring and totally unoriginal.

March 18, 2009 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Rita

I don't think the judges are hearing what I hear when Megan sings. She sounds like a frog croaking. She should have gone home last week.

March 18, 2009 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Judette

I'm not on Megan bus and quite frankly I don't understand what the judges see in her. The little dance she does is silly and her singing should not be compared to Duffy or Amy Winehouse, those singers are much more talented. Kudos to her for singing while sick but I wouldn't go out to buy her CD.

March 18, 2009 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  20. J S Ragman

If this young woman were to record an album of classic country as well as American classics (Gershwin as an example), there is no telling how many copies she could sell. With her original and unusual style she would sell millions. I am 61 yrs old and she is the only artist on the show that I would spend money to see live or buy her music. Good luck Megan.

March 18, 2009 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  21. D

Could someone PLEASE teach this girl how to move with the music? She is odd and has no sense of rhythm.

March 18, 2009 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. t.bo

She is original and I love love love her voice. Other than Adam, she is the only interesting talent, as the others sound just like every other pop performer. In 6 months, we won't even remember these people because, well, they sound so much like what is already on the radio. Can't say that Megan will make it given America's fondness for bland pop music, but I would pay to hear her sing.

March 18, 2009 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Judy

Love her uniqueness – very personable and has lots of personality. Everyone do try and take a closer look at the tattoo – it is a work of art in itself – lovely subject – not skulls and bats – colours are beautiful – and I am someone who thinks a tattoo larger than a dime is a "cancer" and should be avoided at all cost. What the heck has that got to do with her singing for heavens sake. If you can't stand to look at it, just listen. IF I could vote here in Canada, she'd be getting some of mine.

March 18, 2009 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  24. jdaughter

I think her performance was good. I wasn't out of my seat or anything, but it was very Megan. She's marketable with her unique sound and look that everyone raves about. That will keep her in the competition for a while.

March 18, 2009 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  25. A

I, for one, really like Megan. He voice is the only unique voice in the competition this year. I don't think she has a shot of making it to the top, but I would like to see her for a few more weeks, and I definately want to see her on tour. I liked her performance last night, especially considering how little she was able to actually rehearse. I'll admit that I am not a fan of her stage presence, but she can learn that. My pick to leave is Michael or Scott. Scott just does not have a good voice. His piano playing is awesome, but the voice doesn't have much depth. Michael's song was horrid in my opinion, on the week that he should have been able to really bring it. As for Adam's performance--yikes!!! Simon said it all, but I agree he needs to stay in because he is overall a good artist, we just need to pretend that performance never happened.

March 18, 2009 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  26. Amy Jo Johnson

Good-Bye! Hope you enjoyed the experience! I think they have you in the top 12 so that you can be one of those to be voted off in the first few weeks of the show! Hope you get better soon!

March 18, 2009 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  27. SharonW

She's way over rated!!
    Simon's totally diggin' the blonde thing, I bet if she doesn't have that look, she was long gone!!
    With her totally "unique" voice and her little weird dance.
    I hope she won't stay for long!!

My favs're Danny and Matt.

March 18, 2009 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  28. koko

I think Megan always sounds bad. The judges just like her because she's cute. I really don't like her voice at all. It needs work.

March 18, 2009 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  29. Kate

That performance drove me nuts. Not only did she get some of the lyrics wrong (I'm sorry, you just don't do that with a Patsy Cline song), but she didn't seem to get that Walkin After Midnight is more of a somber song. I don't think she is that unique. She has that retro sound that a lot of new female singers have now (Adele, Duffy, Amy Winehouse, etc.), but she can't really sing. No range whatsoever. She is beautiful though, and I'm sure that's helping her stay in the competition. She should have been voted off after that Rocking Robin disaster, so I hope she goes home tonight!

March 18, 2009 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  30. Sue

I know I'm not a music critic but.... I thought her performance was awful last night. She did not seem at ease on the stage at all and her movements were very jerky . She sounded very off key to me at times also. I understand she was sick but I haven't liked her from the beginning. She needs to go and hide that tattoo on her arm too!

March 18, 2009 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  31. Kitty

What's with the little wiggle she kept doing??? It was very annoying. In my opinion, this was one of the worst performances of the night.

Since she has that horribly ugly tattooed right arm, she should not have exposed it with that dress!!! It's hard to look feminine with a gross-looking tattooed arm staring us in the face!!! UGH!!!

March 18, 2009 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  32. Kitty

Flu or not, I didn't like her performance at all. Couldn't wait for it to end!

March 18, 2009 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  33. D

I love Megan. Her voice is so different and I would love to hear her sing Joss Stone or Amy Winehouse. Even if she doesn't make it through, I bet you'll still hear her on the radio within the next year.

March 18, 2009 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  34. MJD

Horrible. Why didn't it sound like crap to anyone else?!?

March 18, 2009 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  35. Erika

Megan is so overrated. She is awkward, her vocals are strange, and she moves like her feet are fused to the stage. However, she is beautiful and we know by now that looks are important on American Idol.

March 18, 2009 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  36. terri

Her stage presence is awful........... she can't dance or move to the beat at all! Her voice is strange, too. She's cute and all, but she should go ..................

March 18, 2009 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  37. joni

sick or not... she sings weird. Don't like her, she needs to go. She's trying to be TOO different!!!

March 18, 2009 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  38. Karen

She is a beautiful girl with a very unique voice, but has anyone ever watched her stage performance?? She has no rhythm whatsoever. She moves around like a robot. There are much more talented on the show than her. Sorry.

March 18, 2009 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  39. J S Ragman

I thought Megan stole the show with her interpretation of Walkin after Midnight. Beautiful girl (except for the sleeve tattoo) with a very unusual but wonderful voice.

March 18, 2009 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  40. Lyle

She is a diamond in the rough and with some coaching has great potential, she comes across as being very real, hope she satys for a few more weeks she may surprise the doubting Thomases!

March 18, 2009 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  41. Scott in Austin

Megan is by far my favorite!!! She has fantastic stage presence and a wonderful Jazz delivery. For all of you who are so annoyed by her movements and lack of hitting big notes – go ahead and praise other cookie-cutter pop stars and appreciate Megan for who she is – unique!

March 18, 2009 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  42. Jimmy G

I hope she gets voted OFF. Hands on the hips with that supposedly cutesy swivel doesn't cover her mediocre voice. Come on Simon and Randy, use your big head to give her comments, not your little one. She doesn't belong in the top ten.

March 18, 2009 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  43. Donna

I think she's gorgeous and unique and I like her style, and with a bit of vocal training, I think she would make a very successful cabaret singer. I'd probably buy a CD of hers. However, while in the beginning I kind of liked her quirky little dance, I'm starting to tire of it. I think at this point in the competition, the last thing you want to be is predictable (which = boring), and with her distinctive voice *and* distinctive movements, that's exactly what she's fast becoming.

Sometimes I think her voice sounds like a Katherine Hepburn impression.

March 18, 2009 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  44. Laurie

I do have to add though that last night the song actually suited her and this is actually one performance by her that only had me cringing 50% of the time that she was up there. Doesn't make up for the fact that she can't sing.

March 18, 2009 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  45. Laurie

SHE IS TERRIBLE! I don't know who is paying to keep this broad in, but she can NOT sing. I'm all for a "quirky" voice in people who can actually sing. This girl is terrible and has no business in this competition. None. Every other singer blows her out of the water. And what is with that ridiculous chicken dance that she does. No stage presence, no voice and the judges keep raving over her as being "relevant". She's not relevant, she's a waste of a spot that could have gone to someone far more talented.

March 18, 2009 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  46. LisA

I thought she did better than all the other women and I'd like to see her veer away from what the judges have told her and sing a really great song for her voice and break it down and come on out of that too-poised stage presence she has. Be fun or lighthearted but still blow it out the water. There were a few tense areas but overall she did well considering I don't like that song or the bluesy sound in general and that she had the flu for chrissakes! Good job Meghan.

March 18, 2009 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  47. Sybaris

It's interesting to see how many comments are made about each contestant. Adam gets the most while Megan is second. No doubt a good percentage are from those that are intimidated by Adam and Megans looks. Females though are more prone to disparaging comments towards other females that are eponentially more attractive than themselves.

As for Adam and Megans performances:

Adam is polished 80's glam rock. He could front a Whitesnake tribute band in his sleep. His ability to conjur a new twist to the old standards is refreshing but could get too predictable and boring if not stellar with each performance.

Megan possesses a unique tone, very alluring and easy to listen to in my opinion. She's quirky (think Jason Castro) and original but the anti-tat' crowd and insecure female voters will ensure her exit soon.

March 18, 2009 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  48. Shelly

Love this girl. She's interesting, unique and talented.

I will say, that she's got a very unique sound, which makes her niche a little smaller-–kind of like Taylor Hicks maybe?

At any rate, she's teriffic.

March 18, 2009 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  49. MC

This girl is solely getting by on her looks. There have been much better singers who could have gone through but missed their chance due to Simon's crush on her.

March 18, 2009 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  50. Karen

So I'm not the only one who thought her singing was the worst...singing...ever...in the whole world. Good grief, she doesn't even have any stage presence, just standing there with hand on hip. Go away

March 18, 2009 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  51. Jonille

Even though she sang through being sick, I still think this needs to be her last round. I personally didn't like her version and have not been a fan of her singing since last week's singing. How she escaped being eliminated is unbenownst to me, but I didn't like her singing and don't like her little duck wiggle dance she does with every song.

March 18, 2009 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  52. Sasha

Love her or hate her. I LOVE her! She is different, unique, quirky. She definitely has a great personality, and let's admit it, America wants more than the next generic artist. She brings something new and fresh to the show. I ALWAYS remember her performances, while a lot of the other "better singers" get lost in my memory after each show.

March 18, 2009 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  53. David

This girl is stunning and i could watch her all day. I love her style. Keep her in the show!!!!

March 18, 2009 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  54. Ohio

I can't stand it when this girl sings! And that ridiculous twist – she looks like a goofball. She has ZERO range and is BOOOORING! This is like another Brooke (from last season) – everyone likes her "look" and "unique" sound. She sounds like an 80 year old. I don't get it! Everyone else deserves to be there in my opinion BUT HER.

March 18, 2009 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  55. Bleeding Ears

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person with ears. This girl is awful. I understand that sometimes "jazzy/rocky" people sound off key, but this is just ridiculous. This whole show is a joke, and this girl proves it. And what is with that weird shoulder jerking thing she does when she sings? Every time she performs she does the exact same thing. Bad singing, leaning forward with arms straight down. Finish your verse, take a breath, shoulder spaz.....

March 18, 2009 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  56. faithengineer

I don't know what the fuss is all about. Out of all the contestants, she has the least talent. She is painful to watch with all her quirks and movements, and her voice just isn't that good. I'm hoping this will be the end of the road for her on Idol.

March 18, 2009 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  57. Donna Hilton

I think the Idol judges are all on crack! Megan completely ruined a great song. She didn't even get the lyrics right! If this is the future of American Idol, I'm done with it!

March 18, 2009 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  58. nancy

I keep seeing her doing a "shake" dance when she sings. This competition is is about how well she sings and not trying to get votes by flaunting herself on stage. It's not amusing or appealing!!

March 18, 2009 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  59. Frosted Flakes

EVEN THOUGH SHE HAD THE FLU SHE ROCKED THAT SONG AND IT WAS A GOOD CHOICE FOR HER TO SING

March 18, 2009 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  60. Shannon

I just don't understand why Megan is still in this competition. I like unique artists, but she just doesn't do it for me. Everything about her is awkward. Her vocals are terrible, and the dancing is horrific. I can't stand to watch or listen to her anymore. I don't understand what the judges see in her besides a pretty girl.

March 18, 2009 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  61. Edmond

Liv – Dizzy Gillespie didn't play with "proper" technique. What do we get? – big cheeks and A Night in Tunisia – I'll take it. If everybody like the lovely Megan Joy got rid of their style and played or sang by the book this would be a boring place. Heck – I suppose if Maria Callas were on American Idol folks would be critiquing her "technique" – ugh...

March 18, 2009 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  62. Jeffrey J.

I can barely stomach to watch Megan peform. I do not know why such a beautiful girl would disfigure herself so badly with such a horrid tatoo. I cannot stand to look at ther.

March 18, 2009 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  63. Mary

I thought she sounded great. She was in the hospital all day yesterday hooked up to IV's, and had been vomiting for over 28 hours. So for her to even be up there after NOT practicing with the band was amazing. It was country music night and Adam didn't sing country. I can't even say what it was. He just screams like he wants to be in an 80's metal band. Go Megan!!! We're praying for you. All you had to do was look at her eyes and you would have know she was sicker than a dog.

March 18, 2009 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  64. Mary

I can no longer stand to listen to her and her dances resemble bladder problems. I can't understand why someone with so little talent gets praises from the judges. She must have something on them or someone (in power) behind the scenes is pushing her.

March 18, 2009 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  65. Jim from Chicago

While I give he kudos for singing when she was sick, Megan will clearly not make it much further in the competition if it has anything to do with actually singing. She is easy on the eye, but not a strong vocalist AT ALL. She also is not a dancer and has an awkward stage presence.

March 18, 2009 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  66. Mike

She is easily the least polished singer in the competition - also easily the best looking and the most original. I think based on all that, she deserves to make it to the top 7 or 8. With a little production/guidance, she could be a modern Rickie Lee Jones.

March 18, 2009 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
  67. maria

I really enjoyed her performances – very unique and original. I like her personality as well. I hope she stay for long.

March 18, 2009 at 3:45 am | Report abuse |
  68. Kerri

I LOVE this chicky!!! She simply drips happy-happy-joy-joy! What a pleasure to watch & listen too! Excellent performance, as always!

March 18, 2009 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  69. Christian Lombard

I thoroughly enjoyed her performance, her singing was real cool, her looks are a joy to behold. I really like this young woman.

March 18, 2009 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  70. rundmc

Nice looking but her moves on stage are awkward. Singing is okay but nothing to rave about. #2 on my list to get booted.

March 18, 2009 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  71. Jim

This girl is stunningly beautiful. Don't think she'll make it to the top 5, but due to her looks, she will definitely get into the music business.

March 18, 2009 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  72. lfy

Everything she sings is beginning to sounds alike to me now. And that shimmy-ing thing she does when she signs (guess it's her idea of dancing?) is becoming quite annoying. She never, ever moves her feet, and it's distracting. She's very beautiful and certainly has some talen, but IMO it's time for her to go.

March 18, 2009 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  73. Dave

I love her dance, it makes her unique and cute. They keep telling her to stop doing it but I'm really happy she doesn't because it makes her "quirky" and memorable. Idol isn't about perfect tone or "diction", it's about America falling in love with the contestant, and you can do that with a voice and personality. The 1% of you with vocal training don't matter, because the 99% of people that have no idea what proper vocal training is don't care – this isn't an Opera. America looks for talent, personality, and authenticity.

March 18, 2009 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  74. Eric

I love Megan, Her stylen her looks, and her talents. Her voice is ounique and she puts her on twist on each song she picks.

March 18, 2009 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  75. MP

I love Megan, I think she's got an amazing voice. It's throaty, smoky, different... she does remind me a bit of Regina Spektor, in some ways. I think it's sad that most of America can't see anything as good outside of their glossed over boring, run of the mill pop music. She's interesting, and I find her stage presence endearing. I think it's cool how she seems awkward in some ways... she's her own person, she doesn't seem like she's been groomed yet into being a "superstar" (which equals being exactly the same as every other contestant..). She's real.

March 18, 2009 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  76. Pattie Vandling

I think she will be gone tomorrow, for sure the weakest of the 11. I hear ya, that body figget, and she tries waaaaaay to hard to be different and unique, Patsy Cline was cringing tonight as were many! BYE MEGAN!

March 18, 2009 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  77. Leslie

I can't understand why Megan is in the top 11. She jerks around on stage like a 5 year old. Although she does have a unique singing voice, she clearly doesn't have what it takes to be in the top 11. I can't figure Simon out on this one – he is usually dead on.

March 18, 2009 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  78. jason

Megan is the only reason to waste an hour watching this show. If shes is not voted through there is no reason this show shouldn't go off the air tonight. Lets face it, none of these people are worth our time. Some of them can sing very well, but their talents will be wasted when they shovel out overproduced radio drivel that is sure to come. Megan at least has a chance to do something interesting. But just like every other year the interesting contestants will be gone leaving us with the same crap that has ruined music for the last 15 years. Hopefully her hotness will carry her through a few more rounds.

March 18, 2009 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  79. KT

She is a cute girl but I don't think she is a great singer – different, but not great. She needs some dance lessons! She is one of my least favorite contestants.

March 18, 2009 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  80. Chels

I mean, isn't this a signing competition, not a hotness competition. She's a good kid, but yikes...when is she going to get kicked off.

March 18, 2009 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  81. Darcy

I think the judges desperately want her on the tour; she deserved a lot of criticism tonight and got none. Weird. Kudos to her for performing while ill and I'll give her a pass on some of the bad notes because of her flu, but it still was the weakest of the night - and I like her quirkiness and the edge in her voice. But I don't think America is all that fond of her; she wouldn't have been top-13 if she hadn't been a judges' wildcard pick and then, in the first show of the season, she was in the bottom. With that weak a fan base and the poor performance tonight, I think she's in trouble.

March 17, 2009 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Dawn

She's fun to watch, beautiful and love the edgy voice. I agree with Billy, she has "something special" that pushes her over the top, even if she is technically not as good a singer. as some of the other contestants. Let's not forget Taylor Hicks won American Idol and he was all show and little vocal substance.

March 17, 2009 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  83. jimmi

While I haven't loved every performance of Megan's, tonight she brought a fresh take on a beloved classic. I heard echos of a long time favorite,
    Maria Muldaur.

March 17, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  84. SAS

I think she's beautiful and has a voice to match. However, the tattoo is a real turn off!

March 17, 2009 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  85. rachel

LOVE Megan. She is quirky and unique, I'd buy her CD for sure.

March 17, 2009 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  86. John

Meghan should have been eliminated before now. She is very annoying. She can't sing, she can't dance.

March 17, 2009 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Lize

Wow it amazes me how jealous people can be! She's a beautiful girl and her voice is so unique. I Love it, and I LOVE her!!! Seriously, how come some people are more than willing to hate some one that poses a threat to their favorite? Especially all of the girls that are in love with Adam, they are so willing to spread hate. Megan is fresh, sexy, her voice is unique and beautiful, and I can't wait to hear what the jealous haters are going to say about her when she beats out their favorite.

March 17, 2009 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Amanda

Awful singer with even worse dance moves.

What's the appeal?

March 17, 2009 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Snowball

By some bit of luck, she was sick tonight, although she didn't sound any worse than she usually does. She definitely will get sympathy votes, which is grossly unfair. It was also very clever manipulation by TPTB to put her in the 10th spot. She sang at the end last week too, and poor Michael Sarver was stuck at the first again. How unfair us that?

Megan is beautiful, and she sould be able to get work as a model. Her face would look great on a magazine cover, but they'd have to cover up the tat IMHO. She should leave the singing to singers.

March 17, 2009 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Michael

Easy on the eyes, so she'll hang on for a couple weeks. But she clearly hasn't got the talent.

March 17, 2009 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Alisha

she drives me nuts...and that little dance she does..it is so annoying..she needs to go

March 17, 2009 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  92. WTF

I hope she stays.. love her!!! and she sounded great tonight...Not the best but should be safe 🙂

March 17, 2009 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  93. unc1dmo

LOVED the dress and dress...not the song....got my vote.....

March 17, 2009 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Steven

Ok, I definitely give her kudos for soldiering through while sick, and she definitely deserves some "slack" for not physically being on top of her game. And........I thought the 40's jazz rendition of the song was quite innovative. But.......to me it just fell flat. She was frequently off-key, the whole twitchy-dancy thing was just odd, and the entire performance just felt, well, off. All-in-all a forgettable performance. Hopefully, for her sake, she has a lot of die-hard fans who will call in, because if she was hoping that her performance would inspire people to send her through to next week, I suspect she will be disappointed.

March 17, 2009 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Pesky

I must be missing something, because I think that she is awful. I find it painful to watch and listen to her. I am shocked each week as I wait for the judges to rake her over the coals and they don't. Hopefully, she has sung or should I say "talked" her last song on AI.

March 17, 2009 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Tomas

She's one of the only original singers here. Adam is broadway rock opera and if the blind guy wasn't blind. He wouldn't have made it to Hollywood.

March 17, 2009 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  97. joyce

My sister and I text back and forth all through the show. . .I like Megan. . .she thinks she is creepy! She makes me think of someone from the 20's era or something.

March 17, 2009 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Creepy

what is with that little dance fidget? That was horrific and she's not even in the same league as some of the other. Thank you to the trained singer, Liv, for putting the finger on why I didn't like her in the first place. It makes sense, she really can't sing but she is pretty but that tattoo is not very attractive to look at either. eww eww and eww is my vote

March 17, 2009 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  99. billy

I think there's some great talent on the show this season. Obviously some better than others, but what seems to be lacking is an artist that has that special something that it takes to be a superstar. Great voices are fine, maybe necessary in some cases, but not mandatory in all. There is so much more to it than that.
    Megan is the only one (in my opinion) that might have that "special something". While technically she may not be the best singer on the show, I have to say that I would pay to see her in person. She's unique, interesting and as some of the judges have stated, "relevant". Unfortunately, I can't say that for the others. There are acts and there are artists... I think Megan might be an artist!
    Guess I'll just have to stay tuned to find out.

March 17, 2009 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Nancy

I thought she was the best of the night and she hasn't been on top of my list until tonight. I wish I had voted for her (I didn't write down her number to call in my vote).

March 17, 2009 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Rick

Hopefully this was Megan Joy's last performance on Idol. Though attractive, she is the weakest vocalist remaining and I was stunned that all four judges gave her the positive reinforcement they did tonight. Must have been a sympathy vote because she was sick.

March 17, 2009 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  102. yourfakeplasticlove

i totally agree with liv and benhillmedia

March 17, 2009 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Rhonda Thomas

What's up with the weird body movement and strange vocals? She is eye candy, but this is a singing competition! Adam rocks! I would buy his CD today!

March 17, 2009 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  104. katie

I think Megan is a love it or hate it performer. She reminds me of Fiona Apple or Regina Spectre. Her phrasing is different, her sound is different, and I think it's awesome and original.

March 17, 2009 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  105. MIKE

Megan possesses an authentic ATTITUDE not present in the other contestants. She is who she is, an alternative voice and personality in a pop competition, which is not where she's suited to be. I however find her the only likable performer for this very reason (similar to Amy Winehouse in many ways – a love her or hate her type of artist)

March 17, 2009 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Shelly

I think Megan is great! She's been one of my favorites since Hollywood week. I disagree with the poster who said she was trying to hard to be different. I think she is interesting and I love her voice. At least she isn't generic and forgetable like some of the other contestants.

March 17, 2009 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Judith

Loved Megan. What a unique sound she has.

March 17, 2009 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  108. stephanie

i think she, unlike some of the other contestants, tries WAY to hard to be different. her performance last week was laughable and this one wasn't good either.

March 17, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Lisa A. Frisch

Meghan is simply not worthy of being in the top 11...I continue to be astonished that the judges gush over her performances when she comes across over the airwaves as a only a fair singer, with interesting song choices (and sometimes disasterous ones like last week) and good looks which have gotten her far. Not to mention her stage presence, which gives me the shudders every time she does that little "dance" that apparently seems endearing to many, but weirds me out. I was stunned when she stayed last week when other more talented performers were given the boot.

March 17, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  110. lynnie

Even at her best (no flu), she was awful, and tonight's performance was no better. Cringe is right. She has a great unique voice which she manages to mangle with funky diction and spastic moves.

March 17, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  111. benhillmedia

I think because she is easy on the eyes, she is held to a much lower standard than the other artists. I don't think she can hide for much longer, though.

March 17, 2009 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Liv

As a trained singer (in classical, jazz, and pop), it's disappointing to see someone with poor technique make it this far in the competition. She sings in her chest voice virtually all of the time and when she does venture into her head voice for a note or two, it's breathy and unsupported. She is basically just speaking when she sings, which will cause some serious damage to her vocal chords over time. I wouldn't be surprised if she develops polyps on her chords very soon. She could also stand a lesson in diction – the way she squeezes out those e's and pronounces some of the words is just downright distracting. There's a reason singers study diction – it's because the voice produces a better, more open sound if you pronounce your vowels correctly. If she makes it much farther, I'll be very disappointed.

March 17, 2009 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Tina

I really enjoyed several of the performances, but that is the song that is in my mind. It is the performance that I remember. I have not been a big fan of Megan until now.

March 17, 2009 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  114. yourfakeplasticlove

i find megan one of the over appreciated contestants of idol...simon has had a soft spot for her since the beginning..and whats with the shake thing she does...and the over pronounciation of her words while she sings...kudos for singing while sick...so did tamara gray first idol year...her brilliantly wonderful voice mangled by her cold which resulted in her being booted off ...but as we all know idol past is nothing of what idol future has become

March 17, 2009 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Elevatid

She is not performing at her best and still rocks! If she pulls it all together...watchout.

March 17, 2009 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Sue

Uhhh...Cringe is right. It actually hurt my ears.

March 17, 2009 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  117. K

I just thought her whole performance sounded weird. I did not like it at all and was surprised by the judges comments

March 17, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Frank in FL

looking THAT good she's through to the next round. On top of her...looking that good...there were several awful performances salted around that should take a worse beating.

March 17, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Dian

i like it a lot! I love Kris Allen though.

March 17, 2009 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Andy

I hope she stays because I like her style. She is very different from the norm and I think she helps diversify this show.

March 17, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |