March 17th, 2009

Top 11: Matt Giraud brings it

Matt Giraud
Hometown: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Audition city: Louisville, Kentucky

As Kara said, there was nothing small about Matt Giraud when he sang Carrie Underwood’s “So Small.”

Matt Giraud

His performance was heartfelt, stirring and you could hear hearts melting all across the country. He was hot!

Randy said it was his favorite performance of the night and Simon compared him to Michael Buble.

Do we think maybe Giraud is beyond safe this week?

–Lisa Respers France, CNN.com Writer

Filed under: American Idol judges • television

1. Ardis

This whole competition is a popularity contest with voters who repeat over and over again on the votes. That is not a fair process to be honest. Why don't the experts on the board have a percentage of the vote and the call-ins receive a percentage? Matt is a great performer and he almost got booted on Thursday because of votes. That is totally not fair! On the next vote, call in for Matt. Kalamazoo is a small city and most of the people are in bed by 10 pm. Hey everybody....make sure you stay up on the next elimination. Matt needs our support!!

March 26, 2009 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Anita

I thinks he is great. He has not had a bad night yet.

March 26, 2009 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. Brenda

My heart is still melting! This guy is a hot one! How can you help but be mesmerized by his soulful singing and the beautiful piano. I see something in him I don't see or feel in the others– a raw passion when he performs.

I'm so happy people are finally seeing how talented a musician this man is. He did blow everyone out of the water last week and he blows me away! He is definitely the dark horse and I could see him winning the whole thing.

March 20, 2009 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. tina

Okay, you've made me a fan. I still love Lil and Danny, but this young man is really going to make it hard to stay true to them. I honestly think this is going to be a year that what probably should be the final 4 could all actually be the Idol. Wonder which one will end up as successful as Jennifer Hudson or Chris Daughtry that both went home too early.

March 19, 2009 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sandie

Matt–make Kzoo proud! Love ya!

March 19, 2009 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. Beverly - Kalamazoo MI

Matt, we want you to go all the way and win it all....but there is a small part of us that wants to keep you here at Monaco Bay!! You're the best, we love you!!

March 18, 2009 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lynn

They're all good this season but there's something really really special about Matt. While his manner may be understated his talent is overwhelming. He knocks me out! Brings to mind Michael Buble, Justin Timberlake.. even Bruce Hornsby. Whoever he is.. I can't for next week!

March 18, 2009 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. maddy

matt : pure talent! enjoyed his performance and am sure he'll be around for a while. still haven't decided who will be the all over winner. too soon to tell...

March 18, 2009 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Gillian

Matt Rock!!! go Matt!!

March 18, 2009 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. barb

I must be missing something. I don't think he's that good. Kind of boring if you ask me.

March 18, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. courtneycourtmort

I LOVE MATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 18, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Darth Physicist

He's just a little dry and 1-dimensional. He's better than Scott, but doesn't have the disability, which puts him at a disadvantage. I'll be shocked if he makes it past 2 more weeks, not because he isn't good (which I believe he is) but because his appeal is already claimed by other, more likeable contestants.

March 18, 2009 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. z

Him and Danny best of the night

March 18, 2009 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. oldstyle

I chose Danny and Matt from the their very first auditions. You either have it or you don't..Thankfully they've both got it! I've said from the beginning Danny will reign over everyone, last nights performance solidifies that. Only good things will be coming from both of these guys. Can't wait till next week, I'm sure they will sail through tonight! 😀

March 18, 2009 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Judette

Matt is probably the best singer in the competition. His performances are always heartfelt, captivating and sensual.

March 18, 2009 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Matt fan

Matt has TOTAL pop star potential and can sell tons of records. I hate to follow the judges and compare him to Justin Timberlake but he really does have an uncanny resemblence in his look and vocals. Matt is definitely very interesting because he is biracial and will have tremendous crossover appeal. I loved his performance last night and he, to me, delivers every week. I hope he is around all the way to the top 5 at least.

March 18, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jdaughter

I've been a fan of his soulful delivery. Enjoyed his performance.

March 18, 2009 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  18. LisA

This guy did the damned thang last nite. I am now his newest fan.
    That's what is meant by showcasing your talent. He did the best. I also like Lambert who was unique and interesting and if you could forget the original song and appreciate what he did for what it was, he did the thang too. Now Gokey, came through halfway through his song – the beginning he should have just done one verse and then went to the hook. Anoop was the biggest, and most appreciated, surprise, he was stinking up the airwaves before that with what amounted to poor karaoke performances that made it seem like he was the wild card joke or something. So way to come back on the show. But Matt stole it – perfect vocals, perfect song choice to showcase himself and outshone everyone else's meager attempts. Oh, wait I forgot the sick girl – she did pretty good too although I kept wanting her to clear her throat, only to find out she was sick so good job considering!

March 18, 2009 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jonille

Now Matt was really good last night! He is extremely soulful in his singing and reaches down deep into a person when he belts it out. How can you not mistake that this dude is terrific and will indeed be safe!

March 18, 2009 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  20. Kelly

Simply Amazing! I remember him singing at the piano bar in Kalamazoo and thinking that he had great talent. Glad to see the world finally gets to see it!

March 18, 2009 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  21. June

I liked his version better than the original. Great piano player too. He's beginning to win me over.

March 18, 2009 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  22. M

YES! He's been my favorite since I first saw him. If people make up their minds on vocal talent rather than hype created by the judges, they will see that Matt Giraud blows Danny Gokey out of the water. As we saw last night, Danny Gokey is only strong when he is screaming notes in the chorus. His vocals as well as horrible dance moves are reminiscent of Taylor Hicks who had a strong idol following that fizzled out as soon as his album hit the charts. It was unfortunate but it was the truth. He was a TV star, not a music star. Think about who you would like to hear on the radio or who you would enjoy live in concert when you are deciding who to vote for.

March 18, 2009 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  23. Chris

I agree- he was smoking hot! Best performance of the night by far.

March 18, 2009 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  24. A

Ok – really? Michael Buble? Hardly ... Michael Buble is so confident, he's almost cocky – This kid, not so much. Matt is ok, but I don't know where all the hype is coming from

March 18, 2009 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  25. rundmc

Nice job tonight. First time that I actually noticed his talent. Possibly a shocker near the finals.

March 18, 2009 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  26. melisssa

I LOVE MATT, HIS LOOKS, HIS VOICE...SHIVERS!

March 18, 2009 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  27. Shanna Hill

Great Job Matt!!!!!!!!! I really enjoyed his singing.

March 18, 2009 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  28. ivy

I waited all night to hear him sing and was not disappointed. Not a big fan of Carrie Underwood, style-wise, but he made me change my mind.

March 18, 2009 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  29. J. Georgino

Really talented – voice, piano and all!!!!!!!!!!! Love him, not so much Buble....

March 18, 2009 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  30. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I thought Matt did well tonight! He kind of reminds me of Billy Joel, especially his piano playing. Kudos to a fellow Michigander!

March 18, 2009 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  31. Zoolite

Definite Dark Horse of the season!

March 18, 2009 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  32. KT

I liked his song choice. He did a great job!

March 17, 2009 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Darcy

It was nice. Not amazing, but nice. I hope he's around for a few weeks more.

March 17, 2009 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Curt

I'm interested to hear why many of you think Matt is boring. Is it just his style of music? Matt knows his strengths, and he sticks to them. He's not your upbeat pop artist, that's just not his style. He's amazing at what he does, and I think he's more modern than Buble.

March 17, 2009 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  35. nikky

hey this guy is pretty good.. one of my favorites this season..he is definately getting my vote ...

March 17, 2009 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Snowball

Matt will be getting my votes too. He's a wonderful singer and overall performer.

March 17, 2009 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  37. joyce

Matt reminds me of One Republic

March 17, 2009 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Ada

Nice performance. You get my vote tonight also.

March 17, 2009 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Nancy

Not so much Michael Buble (thankfully). Much less commercial than Buble...more soulful. Rising to the top for me.

March 17, 2009 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Susan Imanse

Go Matt! You made all of us in Michigan proud. I think it was your best performance to date,

March 17, 2009 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Alan

Michael Buble? Are you crazy? Matt's a boring drip just like all the other male contestants, with the exception of 1... no need to mention the name.

March 17, 2009 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  42. St. Augustine's College

Let's go Lil Rounds!!!!!

March 17, 2009 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Betty

I've been listening to Matt sing for years, and he always sings soulfully and from the heart. I hope he's successful in his journey and makes Kalamazoo proud!

March 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Cindy

This guy is so great! I hope he sticks around long enought to really get noticed.

March 17, 2009 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  45. maggie

he's a good singer, but i can't help but tune out every time he sings...i get distracted and start talking about something else halfway through his songs....not saying he should go home this week by any means, but he just doesn't do it for me.

March 17, 2009 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Vivian

I really like Matt! Great job!

March 17, 2009 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  47. benhillmedia

Dark horse of this season, I'm tellin' ya...

March 17, 2009 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |